Options

Modern Warfare 2: Complete map collection in OP! (NSF56K)

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd rather have a Silencer so I never show up on UAV which people are overly dependent on.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I find the silencer interferes with the one-burst kill awesomeness that is the M16 + Stopping Power, if it takes two bursts to kill someone it's essentially halving your damage. I like being able to clip someone's shins with a burst from half a mile away and have them die.

Don't get me wrong, I think silencers are great, but not on this combo. Ninja kind of makes up for it, as long as you're moving after each fight.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    T3rryT3rry Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just got the m16 and it is the bees knees. It took me a round or two to get used to it but its just lovely having people die from one nice little burst. Stopping power would be hilarious with it.

What's everyone's setup with their M16? Ideally I want to go silenced/scope with Bling, Cold Blooded and Ninja. I still don't have a good setup using that combo :(

Don't use a silencer, it will basically negate your stopping power, i find that the silencers in this game pretty much render any gun, completely useless.

T3rry on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there any fucking reason to take holographic over red dot? Seems like it is exactly the same except holographic has a larger and more obscuring housing around it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Insanity wrote: »
    I find the silencer interferes with the one-burst kill awesomeness that is the M16 + Stopping Power, if it takes two bursts to kill someone it's essentially halving your damage. I like being able to clip someone's shins with a burst from half a mile away and have them die.

Don't get me wrong, I think silencers are great, but not on this combo. Ninja kind of makes up for it, as long as you're moving after each fight.

stopping power is +1.4, silencer is +0.6, so they cancel each other out, which i find isn't worth the "not being seen"

I'd rather just kill them all and then they cant see me anyways :)

T3rry on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I shoot into the air constantly when not engaging enemies so that they know where their death is coming from.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Is there any fucking reason to take holographic over red dot? Seems like it is exactly the same except holographic has a larger and more obscuring housing around it.

holographic sounds cooler.

T3rry on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you aim for the head you don't need stopping power

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If you akimbo 1887s you dont need fuck all else.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Isn't ARMA the most realistic out there? I thought this was established.

Nah, Red Orchestra.

Most realistic I've played (Neverplayed Arma) would be Full Spectrum Warrior. They need a new one of those games soon I'm thinking.

One thing i don't get is how everyone crits the single player as being too "Micheal Bay"
    COD was never about realism, and it's always been about shout outs to various action movies, so it being like a Bay movie wasnt too bad for me. Visually I love his movies, pure eye candy. The space scene for example was my favorite, next favorite was when the BMP was firing randomly into peoples homes during the invasion.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If you use Akimbo 1887s you're a dog rapist.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I was a dog rapist well before I started using 1887s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr8G2O0u9-k

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

As far as I can tell, the holographic one has the parallax sorted.

In a nutshell, whatever angle you're looking through the sight at, the crosshair will be where the bullet hits. With the red dot, if you're not looking straight down the site (recoil, nearby explosion, etc) the dot will be in the wrong place.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    T3rry wrote: »
    I just got the m16 and it is the bees knees. It took me a round or two to get used to it but its just lovely having people die from one nice little burst. Stopping power would be hilarious with it.

What's everyone's setup with their M16? Ideally I want to go silenced/scope with Bling, Cold Blooded and Ninja. I still don't have a good setup using that combo :(

Don't use a silencer, it will basically negate your stopping power, i find that the silencers in this game pretty much render any gun, completely useless.

I refuse to follow through with that advice. Silencers are amazing. Sure in a straight up firefight, they're not ideal, but that's not what they're meant for.

Not showing up on the radar at all is the tits. I've used the M4, FAMAS and the SCAR with a silencer. The reason why the above weapons haven't been ideal varies. M4 and FAMAS lack damage. SCAR lacks ammo. Sure I could go Scavenger, it's irons are nice, but I inevitably wish I had a sight.

With Cold Blooded/Ninja, I always get a great K/D ratio. The enemy is too busy looking staring at the upper left hand corner of their screen to be looking for an "invisible" enemy. People are entirely too dependent on their radar. Unless you're stupid and run out in the open a lot, a positive K/D is guaranteed with this setup.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I was a dog rapist well before I started using 1887s.

^ the up and down of the damn barrels when running is enough for me to not use that class, that's all i could see that whole video, annoying as hell.

T3rry on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I refuse to follow through with that advice. Silencers are amazing. Sure in a straight up firefight, they're not ideal, but that's not what they're meant for.

Not showing up on the radar at all is the tits. I've used the M4, FAMAS and the SCAR with a silencer. The reason why the above weapons haven't been ideal varies. M4 and FAMAS lack damage. SCAR lacks ammo. Sure I could go Scavenger, it's irons are nice, but I inevitably wish I had a sight.

With Cold Blooded/Ninja, I always get a great K/D ratio. The enemy is too busy looking staring at the upper left hand corner of their screen to be looking for an "invisible" enemy. People are entirely too dependent on their radar. Unless you're stupid and run out in the open a lot, a positive K/D is guaranteed with this setup.

i find quite the opposite, whenever i am running my knife class, i am running around, coming up behind 3 guys (still a good 5-10 second run from them) i hear "enemy UAV online" i think, oh shit, i'm done, nope, they are too dumb too look in the top left of thier screen, slice, slice slice, they'll all gone.

T3rry on
  • Options
    JazzBlackJazzBlack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    saw my flat mate get a 37 kill streak last night after using the nuke, with no deaths... unlike him i havnt devoted my life to the game.

i dont think iv seen him do anything else since he got it.

JazzBlack on

Wynne%20Warrior.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes that is an incredibly impressive video

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The silencer's range drop-off (and the associated decline in damage produced beyond its effective range) is mitigated by the ACOG scope's range enhancement, so if you bling the two together you can still be combat effective without needing to add stopping power in favor of another perk. Silenced SMGs plus ACOGs are particularly nice for this, I'm finding, though I have to continue experimenting.

SammyF on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Honestly, I've yet to find a use for sniping other than in 2 specific levels. 99% of the time you'd be better off with an assault rifle in virtually all situations. It really feels pretty shit.

Whereas charging around with stopping power pro and steady aim with an smg or assault rifle is just loltacular.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The ACOG doesn't actually affect damage at range. That would just be silly. Although in CoD4 the reddot affected damage at range for the AK, a crazy stupid bug I assume.

Hoz on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »

Nah, Red Orchestra.

Most realistic I've played (Neverplayed Arma) would be Full Spectrum Warrior. They need a new one of those games soon I'm thinking.

One thing i don't get is how everyone crits the single player as being too "Micheal Bay"
    COD was never about realism, and it's always been about shout outs to various action movies, so it being like a Bay movie wasnt too bad for me. Visually I love his movies, pure eye candy. The space scene for example was my favorite, next favorite was when the BMP was firing randomly into peoples homes during the invasion.

I pretty much agree. I've developed the highly useful skill of being able to turn the "What the fuck!?" part of my brain off for short periods of time.

Although playing through single player for the third time I did find something that made me laugh.
    Not only would the nuke do nothing to the ISS because of the whole no medium to transfer the shockwave thing, the ISS appears to be orbiting over the carribean. Which means the shockwave would have had to travel a thousand miles through nothing to explode it. Which means the nuke would have annihilated the everything on the east cost to the midwest

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ACOG doesn't improve damage, but it does extend "range." Beyond a certain range the base damage for a weapon drops off, so extending range improves the effectiveness of the gun.

Silencers do the opposite -- they decrease the effective range.

SammyF on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    ACOG doesn't improve damage, but it does extend "range." Beyond a certain range the base damage for a weapon drops off, so extending range improves the effectiveness of the gun.

Silencers do the opposite -- they decrease the effective range.
    No, the ACOG doesn't do that. It didn't do this in CoD4 when the stat page said it did and I'll bet a thousand dick eatings it doesn't do it in this game. It's just stupid way for them to represent the ACOG's visibility bonus, that's why it's that way.

Hoz on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Silencers on hardcore make me so much better at the game. There's less recoil or something, and I become a death machine.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Nah, Red Orchestra.

I pretty much agree. I've developed the highly useful skill of being able to turn the "What the fuck!?" part of my brain off for short periods of time.

Although playing through single player for the third time I did find something that made me laugh.
    Not only would the nuke do nothing to the ISS because of the whole no medium to transfer the shockwave thing, the ISS appears to be orbiting over the carribean. Which means the shockwave would have had to travel a thousand miles through nothing to explode it. Which means the nuke would have annihilated the everything on the east cost to the midwest

Yeah, I was wondering how it could have done that. Maybe I should google space nukes.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just use the USP .45 on hardcore. Only takes one or two shots to put someone down with it even from long range and I feel like Jack Bauer.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited November 2009
    I use the magnum on hardcore almost exclusively and rename myself "Bill Hickok"

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EMP should be replaced with a giant American propaganda spewing robot.

This.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

This.

AKA any American president?

T3rry on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

This.

AKA any American president?

Liberty Prime!

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Honestly, I've yet to find a use for sniping other than in 2 specific levels. 99% of the time you'd be better off with an assault rifle in virtually all situations. It really feels pretty shit.

That's what One Man Army is for.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Nah, Red Orchestra.

Yeah, I was wondering how it could have done that. Maybe I should google space nukes.

Oh, I'll save you the time: They don't work. At least not anything like the way they do inside an atmosphere.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anybody on willing to play? I'm about to break my controller playing with pubs. Gamertag is l4zy3ye

shorttimin on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, I'll save you the time: They don't work. At least not anything like the way they do inside an atmosphere.

But these are custom.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The first CoD will always remain one of my favorite action shooters of all time. The first time I played through that single player campaign was the most exhilarating gaming experiences ever, and the main reason I will always buy anything that says "Infinity Ward" on it without any prior research. (though the amount of hype they get already, who needs to research?)

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »

The first CoD will always remain one of my favorite action shooters of all time. The first time I played through that single player campaign was the most exhilarating gaming experiences ever, and the main reason I will always buy anything that says "Infinity Ward" on it without any prior research. (though the amount of hype they get already, who needs to research?)

Did anyone notice that scene in MW2 that felt exactly like the first part of the first mission of CoD1?

The part where you storm the
    White House
    had to have been an homage to it.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    The silencer's range drop-off (and the associated decline in damage produced beyond its effective range) is mitigated by the ACOG scope's range enhancement, so if you bling the two together you can still be combat effective without needing to add stopping power in favor of another perk. Silenced SMGs plus ACOGs are particularly nice for this, I'm finding, though I have to continue experimenting.

Does the ACOG's range bonus still apply if you're firing from the hip?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »

MoH:AA - Omaha Beach

That was when I was first hooked.

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I credit much of the success of that mission to Spielberg. Also the rest of that game too.

Not to say they don't have the talent, but they were ripping off that scene even in COD2 without anything on Omaha beach.

The_Scarab on