As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sketchpost. || Sublimus

1235»

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AoB: You're right! That is the exact reason I didn't like posmaniacs at first, but I think it is good for working on gesture, and PoV/Forshortening. I tried to infuse a bit of my own anatomical knowledge on this latest batch, any better?

Flay: Thanks! I never gave it much thought, but for some reason Im a little worried about how much I've been drawing in pen these days. Might do some more pencil work soon.

I hit sketch page 100 for the year! (Honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. Because while I know it is probably the most I sketching I have ever done in a year, it actually is nowhere close to how much I feel I should be doing.)

Anyways, not too much to show for the past two weeks. I blame holidays and my long distance girlfriend being in town....

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

And a quick sketch for the chow 'steampunk hareem girl'.

steampunkhareemgirl.jpg

[edit] Oh yeah! Also been working on my secret santa, but I can't show itttt!!!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You've got style Sub, I know instantly when I'm looking at your stuff.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    By which you mean thin black pen lines? I guess that could be style. :p

Sublimus on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You've drawn a thin black pen line around my heart.

Mustang on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hope you're joking, because you should know that you do have a recognizable style, mostly in the way in which you color. I'm loving the detail in your studies, as you don't have much finished work lately I'm not sure if I could criticize anything--the figures in the top two from today are a little misshapen, but not that badly. Good work.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hey sub! thought I'd pop my head in and check things out. I'm glad I did, no real crits other than to keep up with what you are doing! good job

Obilex on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    srsizzy: Yeah, sometimes the figures can get a bit screwy. When you draw with pen, if you don't check all of your reference points before drawing a line, they can start to distort on you. All you can do is keep going, at that point!

And in terms of style, I guess it's just hard for me to come to terms with having one. I've never put any thought into one, and it is merely a reflection of my (poor) understanding of how light works. but hey, I guess that's what it's supposed to be, right? Either way, I feel like if I have a style, than I'm not trying enough new things, or that my understanding of things is somehow stagnant. Oh well! I'll just keep on truckn', and if my style changes or not, I'm not going to try to worry about it..

Obilex: Thanks for stopping in! Sometimes it gets real quiet in here! haha.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This one is really fantastic and is definitely a direction that you should go in for your pen sketches.

Somewhat reminds me of Bumskee's sketches.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks Dee! Bumskee is a bad ass, one day I may be too!

Anyways, I realized I forgot to scan this little thing in. HERE IT IS.

104.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Daniel_ArayaDaniel_Araya Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lovin the studies man!

I get the impression though, that you're starting to worry a little too much about the quantity. I think what could really help you is taking a REALLY long time to do a thorough master copy. Just don't stop working until you've made it look exactly like the original. The reason is because it's easy enough to make it look close, but all the real learning you'll do will take place in that small space between "close" and "exact." It's time consuming, but I find it can give you a good boost in overall skill. Everyone seems to recommend to do a bouguereau study for this, but I haven't tried to copy his work yet.

Anyway just a suggestion, your stuff is looking good and I think you're progressing nicely.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sub, i'm lovin' everything in here. Your line quality with both pencil and pen is energetic and fun to look at.

Try taking that energy and applying it to more perspective compositions! You posted a few of them, and I think with a little extra effort you can really be rockin' these out something fierce!

The trick with these perspective compositions is to turn and burn. Do your best, but once a line's been laid down, leave it as is and don't try to correct it. It will only hinder your progress and flatten the piece as a whole!

You already seem to understand this concept, but I thought i'd reiterate the importance when it comes to this exercise. Keep on truckin'!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys! A full update and replies to come in a day or so, but I just wanted to toss this up!

its a character I'm working on for a client. He is a 'rover goblin' who basically collects junk until he has a literal mountain of the stuff.

The first is my interpretation of the brief, the second is after the first round of revisions..
    grumpit01.jpg

grumpit02.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Definitely going in a better direction.

I'd love to see a bunch of "junk" hanging off of his pack or something. Give us more examples of his character, rather than just a big Santa Clause sack.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I intend to draw out all of the junk (or just have a bunch poking out) but I was a little lazy when I was drawing it. Soooo, basically, it will be there.

And the first one looks the way it is because the brief said 'kind of like an old gold rush prospector'/ So that's why that looks like that.

And then in the feedback he was like 'Yeah! Like a prospector! Except not at all like one visually. And only marginally in character."

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    DeeLock on
  • Options
    Welp. Here is some new stuff from me, so I decided to resurrect this old thread. (Thank f87, because his thread made me want to post agin!)

I moved out to Austin, and was able to pick up some freelance work. Here are a few of the better ones from the project.

Book_Region.jpg

DemonKing.jpg

lava_golem.jpg

demon_flyer.jpg

Thanks for looking! I have some sketch pages I intend to scan soonish too.

• Options
    Trying to get back into more of a routine. Working on both drawing and design at the same time.

Here is a website design Im working on for my sister's bf.

freedomsite.jpg

Then I kind of have this 'brand' in mind. Inspired by a Faulkner quote, which I wound to be a little discomforting in a good way.

Here is a shiny logo for it. "KYD" or Kill your darlings. I have a simple black and white version too.

kyd_web.jpg

And then a poster type of thing. This is kind of new territory for me, because it's bassicly a type driven poster, so it's concept is super important. idk. Let me know what you guys think

kyd_poster.jpg

And then there is this stupid little drawing haha. I just wanted to try and draw something wacky.

snarfblat.jpg

• Options
    Atomsk42Atomsk42 Registered User regular
    holla

The Pirate King
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Hey there Sublimus, and Atomsk42, I dont know if you are saying "hola", "olla" or if you are just coughing or barking. Anyway, lets get to work!

On the hellish landscape picture, even if its probably already finished, something to take into consideration, are crystals, every fantasy setting HAS to have crystals, and those crystals must reflect the ambience light, unless they produce a light of their own. Your crystals however, seem to be somewhat inmune to light or shadow. Overall the freelance pictures remind me a lot to some illustrations in a D&D (second edition) manual, wich is great, because those illustrations kicked ass. STILL, in the first horns guy, you can really push the brightness and saturation of the light source at the back, behind the skulls. You have some light from there reflecting on the dudes bicep like a bright glowing orange-y light, yet near the skulls and even at the source of that light, it seems to be a lot duller, while it should be actually more intense.

I really like those freelance pics, remind me of better times, times of tabletop RPG and such.

I like the "type based" poster, I dont really understand why the name, or phrase you chose, but I think it works visually.
    the KYD letters icon.. I found it pretty hard to read, like you HAVE to know, or expect a KYD in order to watch it and read it as such at first glance..... and shit, work calls, but I WILL be back to finish this post !!

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Fantomas: Thanks for your crits, they're great! With the crystals, it comes downs to ignorance and laziness I guess. I've never really drawn them before, and the client was like, 'they need to be a distinctive color'. And with the lightsource on the demon guy, you're right on! Lighting is tough for me, but that seems like a no brainer. I knew that in concept, but I guess I lost it in the execution.

And I'm really REALLY glad to hear they remind you of table top RPG art, because I would LOVE to get into some of that type of work.

• Options
    Sketchpost!

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

• Options