As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are cartridges ever going to come back?

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
Just a minor thought I had this morning, but I'm wondering if we'll ever see cartridges come back to video game console use. The way I see it, we have every reason in the world to return to them. The two examples we have are USB storage (thumbdrives) and, even more relevant, the game cards for the DS.

While I can see the argument for the sort of comfort there is in media being on disc format (movies, music, games), and thus all of them sharing the same input slot on a console, the fact is we've already made the transition with music. While you can still buy it on traditional CDs, we're already using pocket size (and smaller!) devices for storing and listening to music.

Carts also don't have the load time drawback from discs while being capable of holding more data (or, potentially at least).

I appreciate the Saturn / Playstation era for carrying us over with disc formats, but it almost seems like they set this precedent that it has to be the format from now on.

Henroid on

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Like most things it'll probably depend on cost.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »

How much does it cost to produce the DS card format? Keep in mind, DS games sell for like $30 to $35 new. It can't be that expensive.

Henroid on
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »

How much does it cost to produce the DS card format? Keep in mind, DS games sell for like $30 to $35 new. It can't be that expensive.

I'd imagine more than a standard DVD like the ones used on the 360... Which cost like what? 50 cents a whack or something?

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd love to see games coming on USB flash drives, but until the cost goes down I doubt we will.

A single dual layer DVD costs a few pennies, rather than ~£5 for the equivalent 8GB flash drive.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not counting price per byte, I believe carts are unquestionably better than optical from a technical standpoint. Less power use and much faster access. Developers hate the proprietary formats when abused (SNES carts anyone) but there are advantages, including piracy protection advantages.

That doesn't account for Sony wanting to use the system to spread a media format, however.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just a minor thought I had this morning, but I'm wondering if we'll ever see cartridges come back to video game console use. The way I see it, we have every reason in the world to return to them. The two examples we have are USB storage (thumbdrives) and, even more relevant, the game cards for the DS.

While I can see the argument for the sort of comfort there is in media being on disc format (movies, music, games), and thus all of them sharing the same input slot on a console, the fact is we've already made the transition with music. While you can still buy it on traditional CDs, we're already using pocket size (and smaller!) devices for storing and listening to music.

Carts also don't have the load time drawback from discs while being capable of holding more data (or, potentially at least).

I appreciate the Saturn / Playstation era for carrying us over with disc formats, but it almost seems like they set this precedent that it has to be the format from now on.

Blu-Ray currently offers a vastly higher byte/$ ratio.

As an example, a 32GB USB flash drive runs roughly $75 retail on Newegg, while a dual-layer, 50GB Blu-Ray disc runs $6.60 (when purchased in bulk.)

Manufacturers will be paying reduced rates even over top of that, but I doubt the flash memory comes out ahead.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In all possible ways discs are orders of magnitudes cheaper than cartridges/flash drives.

A disk is a piece of plastic with a huge industrial base ready to make them.

Cartridges/flashdrives are a billion times more complex to make and probably have less plants making them.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In all possible ways discs are orders of magnitudes cheaper than cartridges/flash drives.

Cartridges/flashdrives are a billion times more complex to make and probably have less plants making them.

Pretty much this. I'd say digital distribution has a much better chance of becoming the dominant form of distribution some years down the road than cartridges.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Pretty much this. I'd say digital distribution has a much better chance of becoming the dominant form of distribution some years down the road than cartridges.

But then you're basically looking at harddrives for storage anyhow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I dont get it though, we still use carts in gaming just not for the home consoles. The ds uses carts and i dont see them switching with how the psp turned out.

Though I suppose the umd is still sort of a cart.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

But hard drives aren't technically carts bought for each game, they're a third medium separate from disks and carts. Carts don't require a hard drive, after all.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I dont get it though, we still use carts in gaming just not for the home consoles. The ds uses carts and i dont see them switching with how the psp turned out.

The DS uses carts because making a portable that uses regular DVDs is impossible. The UMD wasn't as cheap as a regular DVD-ROM.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The DS uses a standardized memory card thats why you have homebrew

Blu-Ray simply costs too much to make for it to be viable for much longer

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yet digitial distribution hasn't found a good way to let you download 30+gb yet. This goes for Blu ray movies and for video games, though I'm not sure how many games actually fill a blu-ray yet.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Yet digitial distribution hasn't found a good way to let you download 30+gb yet. This goes for Blu ray movies and for video games, though I'm not sure how many games actually fill a blu-ray yet.

Huge game downloads do exist though. Siren PS3 is sold on the PSN and takes over 17GBs of space.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For handhelds I think carts will remain at least until they go all-digital, simply because they're much more manageable than discs. I don't even keep my DS game boxes or manuals, I just toss all the carts in the pack. For home consoles though, forget it, not happening.

Huh? You really think blu-rays are going to fade away now because the discs are too expensive? They only keep getting cheaper. I can't imagine anyone but maybe Nintendo using DVD next gen.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Huge game downloads do exist though. Siren PS3 is sold on the PSN and takes over 17GBs of space.

They exist, but I know a lot of people who just orded the blu-ray version so circumvent having to download all that data.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They exist, but I know a lot of people who just orded the blu-ray version so circumvent having to download all that data.

My Steam install disagrees with your assessment:

Saints Row 2 12 gigs
    GTA IV 15 gigs
    Mass Effect 11 gigs

travathian on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    For handhelds I think carts will remain at least until they go all-digital, simply because they're much more manageable than discs. I don't even keep my DS game boxes or manuals, I just toss all the carts in the pack. For home consoles though, forget it, not happening.

Huh? You really think blu-rays are going to fade away now because the discs are too expensive? They only keep getting cheaper. I can't imagine anyone but maybe Nintendo using DVD next gen.

Blu-Rays only cost a small amount more than a DVD to press and finish, and I'm sure that in a few years it'll be cheaper or the same price as DVDs are now. Also, the DS does not use a standardized "memory card", the cart itself is somewhat standard, but the actual storage in them can vary quite a bit. Also: Carts suck as copy protection, see the SNES, NES, Genesis, or such as an example. They may even make it easier to pirate, because all you have to do is make a cart with a rewritable storage area, and have the authorization codes for it to boot.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thing is, we've got something that's going to be huge in the next few years that has all the advantages of cartridges with none of the drawbacks - Solid State Drives. Games could even come on discs that are immediately ripped to the drive (much like all PCs games, most PS3 games, and ideally all 360 games are right now), with the vastly increased robustness a solid state drive offers over a hard drive.

Fast load-times, no swapping, no fragility - the only current limitation is capacity, and of course that can only change.

Edit: and of course games don't really utilise the blu-ray format yet - I'd imagine that by the time they do, drive storage will have increased proportionately.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, right now SSD's are kinda slow, unless you want to pay out the ass for a good one

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

But hard drives aren't technically carts bought for each game, they're a third medium separate from disks and carts. Carts don't require a hard drive, after all.

I think that's sort of his argument. Carts are a hard drive, sort of.

The two options are plastic optical disc that is non-writeable and prone to scratching, and digital data on a chip, whether it's a flash drive or a hard drive or a solid state drive.

So essentially, considering we're moving toward digital distribution models, you might as well say we are going back to carts, with a sufficiently broad definition of cart.

I guess if Henroid wants to see stuff like N64 cartridges, then no, probably not. Games on flash drives also seem prohibitively expensive. But in the broadest sense, yes, we are moving away from optical storage.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Maybe something that will happen when digital distribution is the norm are physical stores with superfast connections where you can pay a fee to download a game, then come in and copy it to your thumbdrive

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Would SDXC's help, perhaps? If they can get up to 2 TB and 300mbps transfer, I think that might negate the idea of storage limitations. A little bit.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

DS cartridges are great for little kids, which is an enormous chunk of the Nintendo market. They're durable as fuck, so you don't have to worry about your 8 year old and his DS.

I'm pretty sure if you put a DS cartridge in the washer, it'd be perfectly fine once it dried out.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

DS cartridges are great for little kids, which is an enormous chunk of the Nintendo market. They're durable as fuck, so you don't have to worry about your 8 year old and his DS.

I'm pretty sure if you put a DS cartridge in the washer, it'd be perfectly fine once it dried out.

So long as there's no current going through the circuit as it goes, and there are no mineral deposits on the PCB once it dries out, it'll be fine.

As for the UMD, Sony should've learned with the minidisc that a CD in a cart doesn't really cut it, particularly with the PSP. Moving parts like that on a handheld system is a recipe for destruction, as well as requiring significantly more power to read. What I like about the DS carts is that you can both read and write, saving the need for a secondary storage device.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In the future there will be no cartridges, there will be not disks, there will be nothing physical about your media. Best stop fighting and learn to embrace it.

Drool on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blu-Ray currently offers a vastly higher byte/$ ratio.

As an example, a 32GB USB flash drive runs roughly $75 retail on Newegg, while a dual-layer, 50GB Blu-Ray disc runs $6.60 (when purchased in bulk.)

Manufacturers will be paying reduced rates even over top of that, but I doubt the flash memory comes out ahead.

When purchased in bulk, USB flash drives are incredibly cheap too. Cheap enough to give away as a keychain.
    Drool wrote: »
    In the future there will be no cartridges, there will be not disks, there will be nothing physical about your media. Best stop fighting and learn to embrace it.

Nothing physical at all? It will just be imaginary particles?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    travathian wrote: »

Saints Row 2 12 gigs
    GTA IV 15 gigs
    Mass Effect 11 gigs

This proves what?

That you're willing to buy and download these games? Alrighty then.

Look considering there are things like Download Caps becoming more common and games are only getting larger in size and scope, i don't think a pure digital distribution situation is going to be viable for a long time.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »

Nothing physical at all? It will just be imaginary particles?

You can have that now! Just close your eyes and imagine the halo 4!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Saints Row 2 12 gigs
    GTA IV 15 gigs
    Mass Effect 11 gigs

This proves what?

That [strike]you're[/strike] a metric fuckton are willing to buy and download these games?

Take a gander at how much bandwidth Steam servers are chewing thru in order to push game content out to people. Yeah great, you know a few people who chose to go to the store to buy something instead of waiting for a download, big fucking deal. GoG, Steam, D2D, and others have definitively proven that digital delivery is here, and not just for piddly little installs either.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

travathian on
  • Options
    DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Saints Row 2 12 gigs
    GTA IV 15 gigs
    Mass Effect 11 gigs

This proves what?

That [strike]you're[/strike] a metric fuckton are willing to buy and download these games?

Take a gander at how much bandwidth Steam servers are chewing thru in order to push game content out to people. Yeah great, you know a few people who chose to go to the store to buy something instead of waiting for a download, big fucking deal. GoG, Steam, D2D, and others have definitively proven that digital delivery is here, and not just for piddly little installs either.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Right, but that also relies on that your ISP provides unlimited bandwith use. There are a lot of ISPs out there that start charging after user hits their monthly limit.

Darksier on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Here's the problem with digital distribution.

You don't have a physical product. That's not going to fly in the mass market where people want to feel they are receiving something in exchange for their hard earned cash.

On the flip side, this is part of the reason so many people who would not steal a physical disc engage in digital piracy. When there's no physical product in hand, you don't really feel as though you've stolen anything. (Lets not take this statement to mean this is the ONLY reason people pirate digital goods).

There are other problems as well, such as ease of portability. I can bring a dvd over to a friend's house to watch it no problem but a DRM'd legally obtained film on my home media server is another story.

This is all kind of off topic.

Cartridges I'm sure will make at least another round in the hand held market. I don't see it happening anywhere else.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Here's the problem with digital distribution.

You don't have a physical product. That's not going to fly in the mass market where people want to feel they are receiving something in exchange for their hard earned cash.

On the flip side, this is part of the reason so many people who would not steal a physical disc engage in digital piracy. When there's no physical product in hand, you don't really feel as though you've stolen anything. (Lets not take this statement to mean this is the ONLY reason people pirate digital goods).

There are other problems as well, such as ease of portability. I can bring a dvd over to a friend's house to watch it no problem but a DRM'd legally obtained film on my home media server is another story.

This is all kind of off topic.

Cartridges I'm sure will make at least another round in the hand held market. I don't see it happening anywhere else.

But you can easily bring a legally obtained film stored on a thumbdrive, or an iPod, or any number of other small devices without issue to a friends house and watch them.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Well, right now SSD's are kinda slow, unless you want to pay out the ass for a good one

Still faster than optical drives.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If cartridges make a comeback I wonder if we'll still need to blow on them?

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Depends on the physical connection method and the metal used for connection. Dust, little hairs, and corrosion can all be designed around.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Huh? No, it's a Nintendo-specific format, and we have homebrew because Nintendo can't seem to work out how the hell a cryptographic signature works (not that I'm complaining, mind you!)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cartridges are not coming back. They're too expensive to manufacture compared to CDs. They also can't hold as much information as a CD.

Also, I'm no expert on Flash Drives, but with my experience with them they would have a load time if you ran a game off of the Flash Drive itself. It takes a while to transfer things from computer to Flash Drive and vice versa.

At the end of the day, cartridges don't generate as much revenue for the game developers/publishers and they take up too much space. I personally would like to see more games have an installation so they'd load a bit quicker, but I'm much happier with these short load times than I was with a gazillion SNES cartridges in a basket, sifting through them all trying to find the one I wanted to play.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »

Huh? No, it's a Nintendo-specific format, and we have homebrew because Nintendo can't seem to work out how the hell a cryptographic signature works (not that I'm complaining, mind you!)

Pretty sure it's because they don't care.

I mean look at how much money they make off the ds. They don't do updates to make it harder to pirate stuff or anything because it's like throwing a grain of sand into nintendo's lake of profit. It's not like they would earn more money by doing it so clearly it's just not worth the time to nintendo.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!