As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Last Day of the [STEAM] Sale - Disappointing

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alternatively, use a proxy/tunnelling program that lets you browse the internet through a connection back in the US, and buy it through your web browser.

I shouldn't have to do that, I'm letting Valve/Steam know what's going on because this can't be an uncommon occurrence. Steam is built to be portable with the whole downloading of games and no boxes thing, and lots of people have gaming laptops now. Who isn't going to use Steam when they travel?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They don't mind if you travel with Steam, but you can't buy anything unless you have a valid credit card for the region that you are in. And then, you're still limited to what is for sale in that region and the price set for it. This is all to enforce the regional-pricing, and it isn't a bug or something they haven't considered.

So, my suggestion again is that if you have an American credit card, take the easy way out and have someone you know at home buy it on your account, or have someone gift it to you, or tunnel your connection back in to the States.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They don't mind if you travel with Steam, but you can't buy anything unless you have a valid credit card for the region that you are in. And then, you're still limited to what is for sale in that region and the price set for it. This is all to enforce the regional-pricing, and it isn't a bug or something they haven't considered.

So, my suggestion again is that if you have an American credit card, take the easy way out and have someone you know at home buy it on your account, or have someone gift it to you, or tunnel your connection back in to the States.

Just to prove a point I have loaded up iTunes and purchased a song. If I can do it with other mediums of digital distribution why couldn't I do it with Steam? If I'm traveling fine I don't mind being charged the local price for local deals, but don't lock me out.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bioshock, along with Mass Effect, were my most anticipated games of 2007, and both ended up being huge disappointments due to certain incredibly poor design choices. In Bioshock's case, the main problem was that it should have ended after THAT scene, because everything after is of extremely low quality compared to the rest of the game.

But I don't think anyone is arguing that it's worth $5. Though after having looked into Bioshock 2, I fully believe that game will be superior in practically every way. Inane multiplayer-mode aside.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do I want Freedom Force Vs. The Third Reich? Do I even have the time with all these steam purchases and the rest of my life?

These are the things this sale is making me ponder.

Lux on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Just to prove a point I have loaded up iTunes and purchased a song. If I can do it with other mediums of digital distribution why couldn't I do it with Steam? If I'm traveling fine I don't mind being charged the local price for local deals, but don't lock me out.

If you could make purchases in one region with a credit card from another, it would be trivially easy to change where Steam thinks you are in one way or another and purchase games from the regions with the cheapest prices. As it stands, requiring the credit card to match the region probably blocks out 99% of Steam's users from being able to buy games outside of their region, because even if they convince steam that they are somewhere else, they still wouldn't have a foreign credit card.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    CHEAP ORANGE BOX AND I HAVE NO MONEY ON MY CARD.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    HejogHejog Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    people really should put their steam name in posts when they're declaring they can't buy the best box set of video games this decade. might get some generous giftage going on. just saying.

Hejog on
    steam: hejog / xbl name: Hejog1 / psn name: Hejog / omgponi.es / tweet
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love this Steam sale. I sneezed and accidentally purchased Braid.

Best. Sneeze. Ever.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hejog wrote: »
    people really should put their steam name in posts when they're declaring they can't buy the best box set of video games this decade. might get some generous giftage going on. just saying.
    Well, I all ready have the Orange Box fyi, this is specifically so I can buy it for several friends, more importantly: Portal.

Unlucky101 btw. ;)

Edit: I really wish I wasn't 100% broke so I could be more generous to strangers. D: (Ironically how I ended up so broke in the first place.)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

YOU ARE A NATIONAL HERO.

EPIC POEMS WILL BE WRITTEN, YOU WILL HAVE YOUR PICK OF WOMEN. ROLLS WILL BE RICKED IN YOUR NAME.

Edit: DAMMIT. No Optus option. DAMMIT.

Double edit: So electricity, what would I put for Victoria then? If anything? Or does it sort by ISP? Because if so, looks like I'm out of luck.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hear Bioshock is a pretty good game. At 5€ I bought it.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    you totally won't regret it. mind blowing game.

Hejog on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

YOU ARE A NATIONAL HERO.

EPIC POEMS WILL BE WRITTEN, YOU WILL HAVE YOUR PICK OF WOMEN. ROLLS WILL BE RICKED IN YOUR NAME.

Edit: DAMMIT. No Optus option. DAMMIT.

Double edit: So electricity, what would I put for Victoria then? If anything? Or does it sort by ISP? Because if so, looks like I'm out of luck.

You can edit the associated INI file if you know the IPs of the Optus Steam servers.

EDIT: Ok here's what you do. Find out the IP of the Optus steam servers - someone will have it. In the INI file add a NEW entry at the end, something like:
    [Optus]

When you run the program this will show up as a new option at the end, which it will then successfully add and manage.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What you do want to check is if your ISP actually puts stuff from whichever server in it's freezone. If they do they're usually pretty up front about it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What you do want to check is if your ISP actually puts stuff from whichever server in it's freezone. If they do they're usually pretty up front about it.
    Forgive me, as I'm completely ignorant as to how to go about doing that. I assume that'd just be in my account I've got with my ISP? (Same place I check my usage, ect?)

Edit: Various Google searches aren't turning up to be very promising. Most people are just saying Optus doesn't have freezone servers, or anything else that suggests a benefit to Steam.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah it looks like you might be out of luck with Optus.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey all. I ended up doing bad things to my wallet and picking up quite a load of games with left over christmas gift money. Holiday sales are the best.

Picked up Civ IV complete pack, Braid, Gratuitous Space Battles, The Oddworld Pack, The Witcher, Indigo Prophecy, and The Telltale Everything Pack.

Also: could someone add me to the PA group? Steam name's samhailt. Thanks.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah it looks like you might be out of luck with Optus.
    Ah well, you still deserve an award for that link. :)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Dr. AvalancheDr. Avalanche Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

Please, someone make something like this for us poor beknighted Kiwis.

...please? There will be cake upon completion. Cake and beer.

Dr. Avalanche on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hate it. Left4Dead2 is on sale and I want to buy it but I don't have time to play games anymore.:? God... $38 is not a lot of money, but it is when you're supposed to be mature and responsible.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    you're never too mature to kill zombies with your friends. FACT.

Hejog on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Plus it's also good practice for the eventual real zombie apocalypse.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Entaru wrote: »

Exactly! The only responsible thing for you to do is to prepare for the coming zombie apocalypse by rehearsing it ahead of time.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

Exactly! The only responsible thing for you to do is to prepare for the coming zombie apocalypse by rehearsing it ahead of time.

It's every person's civic duty to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

However, I have to say, with the amount of absolutely terrible players I run into while trying to play L4D2 I'm left somewhat sour for spending 33€ on the game. L4D1 has much less complete idiots playing it and it only cost me 7€. It also has a much better mood in its levels.

Also, Killing Floor is terrible.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Totally picking up Saints Row 2 and Borderlands if they arent in the next sale in 2 hours. Fuck it.

Hejog on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

Your face is terrible.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »

Your face is terrible.

Boom!

Xtarath on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Killing Floor would be fine if it was free.

But it's not, so it's terrible. I could play that game for seven years and still not get my money's worth.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have no idea why Killing Floor exists.

a random hot (irrelevant to story, but you know..) girl i know just emailed me to gush about how awesome dead space is. it reminded me actually how awesome it is. and how its hundreds of miles away from where i'm sat. and now i want to play it like no other. fuck. fuck. fuck.

Hejog on
  • Options
    Achilles Last StandAchilles Last Stand Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is it pathetic that I am going to the bank to deposit money into my checkings account solely because this sale is still running, I have the day off, and I am hoping to add to the EIGHTEEN games I have already bought?

Achilles Last Stand on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is it pathetic that I am going to the bank to deposit money into my checkings account solely because this sale is still running, I have the day off, and I am hoping to add to the EIGHTEEN games I have already bought?

You're making us proud. At least you're not just buying games you already own because they're on steam / the copies you own aren't to hand RIGHT NOW!

Hejog on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    MegaMek wrote: »

Your face is terrible.

Boom!

How killing floor is meant to be played (off reddit, sosumi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqYSO-4_xvQ

Hejog on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not that I was planning on buying Prey, but how the fuck can something be "sold out" on Steam?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Not that I was planning on buying Prey, but how the fuck can something be "sold out" on Steam?

steam buy the keys in bulk, when they run out of keys they have to acquire more keys, I guess they couldn't.

It's also a good way to make gamers buy shit FAST because they're scared it'll sell out. evil geniuses.

Hejog on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »

steam buy the keys in bulk, when they run out of keys they have to acquire more keys, I guess they couldn't.

It's also a good way to make gamers buy shit FAST because they're scared it'll sell out. evil geniuses.

My guess is that they could not offer new keys at the sale price. If that's the case, the game will be available for purchase again once the day's sales change over.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Prey has a good single player, but you won't play it more than once.

and the online multi is dead. Last time I tried to play not a single server had one person in it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, I'm having trouble avoiding buying some of these games...how do I justify spending money on games I never have time to play? My wife knows the backlog of games I already have, so even a $5 or $10 game is difficult.

I mean, look at this list of games that I haven't finished (or even played, in some cases):
    Bioshock ($5 on Steam earlier this year)
    Mass Effect (ditto)
    Assassin's Creed II (Christmas present)
    Uncharted (to be fair, I have finished it on Normal...just playing for treasures/trophies now)
    GTA: Episodes from Liberty City (like 30 minutes in)
    Batman: Arkham Asylum (which I will be borrowing from a friend, if I can find time to play it)
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (which I borrowed and then had to unborrow because I didn't play it)
    Heavenly Sword (I know...not great, but I never finished it)
    Fallout 3's last three expansion packs (my save game was sitting idle for months when my PC crashed)
    Crackdown
    Gears of War I (borrowed from a friend) and II (eventually to be borrowed from the same friend)
    FFX (I know, old...my last save game was from FIVE years ago, and every time I start it up, I just level up)
    FFX-2
    FFXII
    Kingdom Hearts
    Twilight Princess
    Super Paper Mario
    Most of the Orange Box - don't stab me, please (played Portal and loved it...about a third of the way through HL2 when said computer crashed)
    And I'm sure I'm forgetting some things...

And here I am, wanting to buy on Steam, perhaps:
    Braid
    Deus Ex (Hell, maybe even the Eidos pack)
    Prince of Persia pack
    Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
    Indigo Prophecy
    Beyond Good and Evil
    The Witcher EE is only $14??? Ack...
    Civ IV complete?
    Unreal pack?
    maybe FO3:GOTY if it gets cheaper than $30, since that is the cost of the DLC I have left...

In addition to my planned non-Steam purchases:
    Uncharted 2
    Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
    Katamari Forever (haven't owned one since the original)
    maybe LittleBigPlanet GOTY at some point

Not to mention all the DS games I have been catching up on...and the idiot completionist in me wants to buy a PSP with my Best Buy cards from Christmas. What is wrong with me?

It's sad that these games are cheap when A) I can easily afford them, but B) have less time to play them and therefore C) have a hard time justifying new purchases. Ridiculous. To all the whippersnappers on PA: get all the gaming you can in while you have time, because there will come a time when you can only focus on AAA titles.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I loved Indigo Prophecy when I had it on my Ps2 and fully support anyone who wants to buy it on steam especially at 3.50. Hell i've even though about buying it again during this sale

initiatefailure on
This discussion has been closed.