Options

[WoW] Fail of the Lich King: [Chat] 3.3

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Grobian wrote: »
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Hehehe... DPS really need to know not to insult the tank/healer or be a dick during a big pull or boss fight. I was asking the group to "make sure you stand here" as I pulled some boss, and one of the DPS said something along the lines of "who the fuck cares, stfu and tank"

I pulled, then disbanded.

I know I'm not there to see them simultaneously "WTF" before they die... but it's still something special.

The other day I was playing on my DK tank and got CoS as the random. All the other idiots just ran to the back expecting someone else to do the annoying stuff at the beginning for them, which pissed me off. So, I stayed in the group til my dungeon cooldown was out, pulled the first boss, then left. Can't imagine what they ended up doing.

Ok, I hate it when I have to zap all the crates, too. But I hate it even more when idiots just drop group without saying anything. And I don't care if they're the tank or whatever. (Hint: if you are already in the instance you get a tank way faster than when you are just entering the queue. So all you did was give them a 2minute wait and maybe a wipe)

And no chance to get the extra boss since the timer had long since started.

I really haven't had to leave group to be a dick yet. Last night I was trying to get into HToC on my Mage, and while queuing for the specific dungeon, apparently left regular PoS checked on the list (thought I had unchecked everything). So I mentioned that, left (Additional Instances couldn't be launched anyway, so we never even got into the instance), and logged off for the night since it was getting late and I had a 15 minute cooldown now. Ah well.

15 Heroic kills of Tyrannus on my Paladin and still no sword. I still need to farm regular HoR for the shield and maybe try to get the Heroic done and see if I can't get the neck piece...

Dranyth on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only time I've had to leave a group on any of my characters prior to the end of a dungeon was my pally during a heroic AN run.

The DPS ranking on recount went something like:
    Good DPS (tended to get himself killed on add fights though).
    Me
    Bad DPS (sub 1000)
    Bad DPS (sub 1000)

We somehow managed to get through the first two bosses, but on Anub the good dps would somehow get himself killed, the healer would end up dry of mana, and the boss would still be at about 30%.

Finally after the third or so wipe. I say in party that I don't mind carrying a DPS, but carrying two like this is a bit much and leave.

(side note: apparently when I left the group as a ghost, and as such wasn't in the instance, I didn't get the debuff).

Nobody on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Oh god, that image reminds me of a run I must've blocked out over the weekend. Zone into H AN with my Prot Pally and have a Priest friend of mine healing. Cool, fast badges. As we're running down the path after the first pull, the DK suggests we go for the achievement.

Eh, my healer's pretty decent... but really you should have a specific setup when going for that, so we tell him no. As we're doing the three groups before the boss, I start glancing at Recount and point out to my healer on Vent that the DK is doing a solid 1.1k DPS. The Warrior is doing 1k DPS. I can't remember off hand the other class we had, caster of some sort I think, who is doing mid-2k or so which is fine. Healer apparently starts looking at the DK's gear and tells me that he's wearing like, half-tanking stuff with Defense on it, and he's a dual-wielding DK with a mainhand that I don't remember and a green offhand 'of Stamina'.

Yeah dude, we should totally carry your ass to one of the more intense tanking/healing Heroic achievements (honestly I'm pretty sure there's no way we would've been able to do it.) But that seriously just made me laugh. When my healer asked him about the green offhand, he responded something about it was either that or the 219 tanking mace he had in his bag. Which, to be honest, probably *was* better, come to think of it.

Yeah, you need 2 tanks to do that one.

Either that or an absurdly overgeared/lucky group.

You don't really need two tanks. It's easy enough to just have one of the DPS kite most of the mobs away (leaving the big one that does the aggro-dropping web disorient thing) to the entrance. The kiter will either have to die, vanish, or bubble, but the boss should be dead by the time the mobs get back. Admittedly, this works even better if it's a second tank doing the kiting so that they can hold the mobs out there for a bit longer, but a shaman dropping earthbinds and an earth elemental is almost as good.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh god, that image reminds me of a run I must've blocked out over the weekend. Zone into H AN with my Prot Pally and have a Priest friend of mine healing. Cool, fast badges. As we're running down the path after the first pull, the DK suggests we go for the achievement.

Eh, my healer's pretty decent... but really you should have a specific setup when going for that, so we tell him no. As we're doing the three groups before the boss, I start glancing at Recount and point out to my healer on Vent that the DK is doing a solid 1.1k DPS. The Warrior is doing 1k DPS. I can't remember off hand the other class we had, caster of some sort I think, who is doing mid-2k or so which is fine. Healer apparently starts looking at the DK's gear and tells me that he's wearing like, half-tanking stuff with Defense on it, and he's a dual-wielding DK with a mainhand that I don't remember and a green offhand 'of Stamina'.

Yeah dude, we should totally carry your ass to one of the more intense tanking/healing Heroic achievements (honestly I'm pretty sure there's no way we would've been able to do it.) But that seriously just made me laugh. When my healer asked him about the green offhand, he responded something about it was either that or the 219 tanking mace he had in his bag. Which, to be honest, probably *was* better, come to think of it.

I got it a while back (around Ulduar release or so) with a bear tank, Holy paladin, enhance shaman and 2 DPS I don't recall. Cleansing totem + Heroism/BL makes a huge difference. Shaman really is the 'achievement' class. Took us several tries, but eventually we probably got lucky and got it.

Bobble on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Saeris wrote: »

You don't really need two tanks. It's easy enough to just have one of the DPS kite most of the mobs away (leaving the big one that does the aggro-dropping web disorient thing) to the entrance. The kiter will either have to die, vanish, or bubble, but the boss should be dead by the time the mobs get back. Admittedly, this works even better if it's a second tank doing the kiting so that they can hold the mobs out there for a bit longer, but a shaman dropping earthbinds and an earth elemental is almost as good.

Or you could burn the boss down in roughly twenty seconds and not worry about any of that.

But uh, I did it with guildies, so might not be the best idea for pugs.

reVerse on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    format wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    Krystallus' shatter wiped 3 of my group instantly the other day. The range on it seems to have increased.

I still tanked him from 50% with no healer.

this happened to me,

they figured that it was my fault 4/5 people died on a boss.

the DK also used army of the dead on maiden, so yeah she was standing inside a void zone the entire time.

You know what's annoying? having a group with just enough DPS to kill krystallus with DoTs right after he stomps. Then you wait for 40 seconds since he can't shatter to remove the slow+stun debuff.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    format wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    Krystallus' shatter wiped 3 of my group instantly the other day. The range on it seems to have increased.

I still tanked him from 50% with no healer.

this happened to me,

they figured that it was my fault 4/5 people died on a boss.

the DK also used army of the dead on maiden, so yeah she was standing inside a void zone the entire time.

You know what's annoying? having a group with just enough DPS to kill krystallus with DoTs right after he stomps. Then you wait for 40 seconds since he can't shatter to remove the slow+stun debuff.

This happens to me more often than not. They really need to put a check in to remove the debuff if he's dead.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Regarding H AN first boss achievement: Yes, I know it doesn't have to be that hard with the right setup, Bloodlust, ridiculous DPS, a healer who can bubble and just heal away for the time you need to kill the boss.

My point was, it's not the kind of achievement you go for with a randomly made up PUG, and it's certainly not the kind of achievement you try to demand when you're doing 1.1k fucking DPS while you're wearing half tanking gear and have a green offhand 'of Stamina' (along with another 1k DPS in the group).

As far as 'the Patient' title, I think I switched my Mage and my Paladin to that because I got sick of their Ambassador titles. I *really* should work on my Paladin's Argent Dawn rep and get that 'Argent Crusader' title and mount.

I wonder, is it faster rep just to blow through places like Stratholme repeatedly, or wear the trinket to get the stones and kill and loot everything?

Dranyth on
  • Options
    douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How bout running UD strat for stones and rep?

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I used the trinket and got the boss-quality Scourgestones. I didn't really bother looting trash mobs.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Do both. put on your trinket and grab the bosses' stones.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Having just ground out Exalted with Argent Dawn this week, I think Scholomance is faster for rep than Stratholme, with the stones. But, the chance of a mount would be worth it to do Strat instead. Also, don't neglect the quests in the dungeons and the turn in 30 things quests. Each of them gives 1000 rep (the first time).

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Samphis wrote: »
    Having just ground out Exalted with Argent Dawn this week, I think Scholomance is faster for rep than Stratholme, with the stones. But, the chance of a mount would be worth it to do Strat instead. Also, don't neglect the quests in the dungeons and the turn in 30 things quests. Each of them gives 1000 rep (the first time).

True, doing the quest to kill the live side guy, then kill the baron, are like, 1500 apiece or something nice like that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And the turn-in items can be bought in stacks of 30 for like silver, so 30 Savage Fronds, 30 Bone Fragments, 30 Cores of Elements and 30 Dark Iron Scraps will net you 4000 rep for a few gold.

Samphis on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mount chance = UD Strat, plus you get a nice rep bonus from completing the "45 min" Baron run.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hmm... all very good points. I'll have to look into doing that tonight I think after I do my H PoS for the fucking sword to not drop again.

I've never really gotten Argent Dawn to exalted on any character, and usually by about mid-Western Plaguelands I'm heading to Outlands (even sooner these days I think). So I'm kind of curious just what AD quests I still have on that character over at Light's Hope.

I do need to run Scholomance once to get the completion achievement, went ahead and made an explosive to blow the door for my pally. I *could* do the key quest, but eh... maybe later.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The problem with Scholo, and it's a very select problem most classes won't have an issue with, is the one room with the cultists that turn into shades. They're immune to physical damage, only magic can hurt them. Not a problem if you're most classes. But do you have any idea how long they take to die when you're a warrior, and have to depend on something like Stormchops to whittle them down?

And they can't be skipped, not if you want to fight the headmaster.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have heard of people buying up bombs from the auction house for them. That's one option.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Whoops, I confused one achievement with another... the special pally mount is for the Argent Tournament stuff, being completely Exalted with Argent Crusade and Champion of all your cities. Hmm... well still, the Argent Crusader is a pretty neat title.

I may have to start doing my Argent Tournament dailies too... I've never actually done them with any characters.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Decomposey wrote: »
    The problem with Scholo, and it's a very select problem most classes won't have an issue with, is the one room with the cultists that turn into shades. They're immune to physical damage, only magic can hurt them. Not a problem if you're most classes. But do you have any idea how long they take to die when you're a warrior, and have to depend on something like Stormchops to whittle them down?

And they can't be skipped, not if you want to fight the headmaster.

They can't? Does her entire room pull when you aggro her?

There's magic immune mobs too, although they're generally avoidable upstairs if you're careful. Downstairs you can't really avoid them, but downstairs is fortunately optional.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    As a Paladin, I laugh at Scholo. Everything dies to holy damage... physical immune, magic immune, holy kills all.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    As a Paladin, I laugh at Scholo. Everything dies to holy damage... physical immune, magic immune, holy kills all.

Pretty much, though Headmaster "Haha you got to swing twice at me, now go sit in this room and one shot a bunch of little mobs so you can swing twice at me again" can eat me.

Nobody on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nobody wrote: »
    The only time I've had to leave a group on any of my characters prior to the end of a dungeon was my pally during a heroic AN run.

Me
    Bad DPS (sub 1000)
    Bad DPS (sub 1000)

We somehow managed to get through the first two bosses, but on Anub the good dps would somehow get himself killed, the healer would end up dry of mana, and the boss would still be at about 30%.

Finally after the third or so wipe. I say in party that I don't mind carrying a DPS, but carrying two like this is a bit much and leave.

(side note: apparently when I left the group as a ghost, and as such wasn't in the instance, I didn't get the debuff).

I ended up in a group for halls of stone last night on my mage, I was floating around 2k dps and 4th on the damage meters. The tank(a paladin) was putting out something like 4400 dps, the DK had slightly higher DPS and the Warrior was a bit lower then that. Shit would die before I had a chance to do much at all. (And the healer was a Paladin so I was the only non-plate wearer.) The entire run I was worried they would decide to dump me just because they were all doubling my DPS.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Seg wrote: »

Me
    Bad DPS (sub 1000)
    Bad DPS (sub 1000)

I ended up in a group for halls of stone last night on my mage, I was floating around 2k dps and 4th on the damage meters. The tank(a paladin) was putting out something like 4400 dps, the DK had slightly higher DPS and the Warrior was a bit lower then that. Shit would die before I had a chance to do much at all. (And the healer was a Paladin so I was the only non-plate wearer.) The entire run I was worried they would decide to dump me just because they were all doubling my DPS.

Meh, 2k is right around what I expect in DPS in heroics, so I wouldn't have tried to dump you. I'd just be happy that the run was going to finish a lot faster (well, except for the stupid Brann event) with that level of dps.

As a side note: One of the low DPS people in that run was a mage with 5/5 T9, none of it gemmed or enchanted.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Me
    Bad DPS (sub 1000)
    Bad DPS (sub 1000)

Meh, 2k is right around what I expect in DPS in heroics, so I wouldn't have tried to dump you. I'd just be happy that the run was going to finish a lot faster (well, except for the stupid Brann event) with that level of dps.

As a side note: One of the low DPS people in that run was a mage with 5/5 T9, none of it gemmed or enchanted.

Maiden died before she could stun us.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    See, now that's the type of HoS run I'd like to see.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    See, now that's the type of HoS run I'd like to see.

While waiting for the Brann event to start the tank was talking about how much DPS they were doing and wondering why more tanks couldn't put out that much DPS, commented that they had crappy gear. (I don't remember a name so bringing up armory is out.) Though the tank was using a ToC25 mace that wasn't really a tanking mace, so I suspect they weren't in full tanking gear.

Seg on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I actually had a lot of fun on a heroic AN I did recently. Apparently when the instances reset mid run people get stupid and leave. We lost one before Anub and couldnt find a replacement so we decided to 4 man.

It was kind of like Nobody's deal, with a few bad dps and one awesome that tended to find ways to die. Like eat a pound. But the thing was the healer was a tree that was horribly undergeared. Well the fight took forever but was epic down to the end. Being a warrior tank I used all my tricks, I think I got to shield wall twice, enraged regen twice etc. In the end the tree was out of mana and I was basically block tanking everything and praying. It felt good for it to be a challenge for a change.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tank last night thought it was a good idea to sneak down to the 2nd boss in AN and skip the waves at the top. Does that work? We fought the thing endlessly before I just gave up and jumped down the hole. The spiders didn't stop flooding down the ramp.

I mean, it was neat and all... he used a little robot pet to despawn the starting wave mobs at the top, then we all ran down, waited a moment, and the big spider spawned.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Works just fine if your group's dps is decent.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That only works if you can kill the big spider before the other stuff gets there. It requires decent DPS.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah, then me saying "Wow, this group's DPS is absolutely terrible" after the first boss didn't seem to have an effect on him.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I something happened to me the other night in H-ToC that has me wondering. Fighting the champion guys in the 5 man, I had targeted and started to attack the mage, but the Warrior came over and killed me in 2 or 3 hits. As far as I could tell I hadn't aggroed him at all. What has me wondering is, would a hunter/rogue have used their misdirect/tricks of the trade on another DPS just so they could beat them on the damage meters?

Seg on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I mean, it was neat and all... he used a little robot pet to despawn the starting wave mobs at the top, then we all ran down, waited a moment, and the big spider spawned.

Works with a rogue using Vanish as well. A PUG asked me to do it, that's how i learned it.

Not too sure if it's considered an exploit or not.

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I something happened to me the other night in H-ToC that has me wondering. Fighting the champion guys in the 5 man, I had targeted and started to attack the mage, but the Warrior came over and killed me in 2 or 3 hits. As far as I could tell I hadn't aggroed him at all. What has me wondering is, would a hunter/rogue have used their misdirect/tricks of the trade on another DPS just so they could beat them on the damage meters?

Could? Sure.

Would? Well, there are a *lot* of major assholes on WoW... it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me for the first boss event, how would he even know how much damage you were going to do to begin with?

I'm mostly curious how the mage ended up being the first kill target if you had the warrior and who knows what else. The mage is always the last to go if he's up as far as I'm concerned.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Did you see a big red cloud with what looks kinda like a wrench over your head?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Did you see a big red cloud with what looks kinda like a wrench over your head?

Or a swirling crosshair/targeting reticule?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm reasonably certain Seg has been playing long enough that he knows what a Misdirect or Tricks *looks* like, it's just not something you always notice, especially if you're not expecting it.

He was just wondering if someone *would*... which of course I'd say the answer is yes, it's possible. There are plenty of dicks in the sea of WoW. Or some such.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I think someone WOULD do that, though as someone already pointed out, it is a bit odd for them to do that on essentially the first pull of the instance (unless he felt you were being a dick while jousting, which would just be kinda funny to me). I suppose if he was threatened by your gearscore :P

Otherwise, it reminds me of some of the strange agro mechanics that may or may not still be in play. If a tank has literally done nothing to a mob, they'll typically jump on the healer within 5 seconds, but before any heals are cast, they can trigger on even smaller things. Remember battle shout tanking in BWL? If you had some buff/proc/attack (imp lotp, bloodthirst) that healed you, that may have caused threat. There was a time when regenning mana (or getting rage) was believed to cause threat (that time being when people would pull Chromaggus back thru most of BWL to get a favorable room to fight in), tho I don't recall if it was actually true or not.

In short, agro's funny if the tank hasn't touched the mob.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    End wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    You should read my posts in full.

I wish I knew the tank's threat before I attack.

I shouldn't be having this much trouble explaining myself.

You'll know it once you attack, which is when it becomes relevant information.

I want to know before I attack, so I know which one to attack?

Am I the only goddamn person who cares how much threat the tank has before I start attacking? :x

Attack the one the tank is attacking.

Because the tank is always attacking the same target consistently? They never switch? Right? All tanks work this way!? Right?

It's usually not a big deal, but getting the threat list early is something I'd like to have. How hard is this to understand?

haha, man

On the plus side, this forum doesn't have any jerkoff mods who ban you for no reason

On the minus side, the reading comprehension isn't always spectacular

Imagine, if you will, that you had a spell which would do over 9,000 damage to a target, and this was the spell you wanted to start combat with. You'd have no way to know which target you could throw this 9,000 damage spell on safely using only a modern day Omen threat meter, as it's very likely that the tank has sufficient threat on some mobs but not others to keep aggro off you from this spell

Lilac Citizen on
This discussion has been closed.