Options

The Elements of [chat]

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2009
    THe next time someone wants to have a conversation about the great deals they found on things that they purchased I am going to just flat-out turn around and walk away.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I just saw Inglourious Basterds tonight.

It was pretty great. The way the Tarantino uses long dialogue sessions to build tension with rather percussive action strikes me as something kind of old-fashioned in terms of movies. Like, you don't see it much anymore.

Also he has a great gift for scoring his movies.

Tarantino takes entirely too much shit from people, he's a good director. That first scene in Basterds is incredibly powerful and no scrub director is going to get that same level of tension.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Meat hole takes all the fun out of the idea.

i'm actually, mildly grossed out by that phrase.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2009
    I mean who would have thought to use the song from Cat People in a damned WWII period piece? It was brilliant.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't see what's wrong with wanting to have sex with someone for the pure physical pleasure of it.

I guess that makes me "sad".

That you want it so desperately as to deal with someone you rather not be around at all is a little sad, yeah.
    I think you went to the extreme there.

If I can't stand to be around someone at all, then the shit I have to put up with is too much for the reward.

If they have a lot of annoying qualities, but a couple redeeming ones (like, they're dumb and vapid, but overall a nice person, or a complete bitch but fun to talk to) then I don't mind putting up with some of their shit.

It's all a matter of degree.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tarintino gets shit because he's basically girl talk who acts as if he were beethoven.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for casual encounters. But I like it to be with someone I have a good time with, not some sort of meat hole cost benefit analysis.

that is simultaneously the worst and best description i've ever heard

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    A girl I was sorta interested in told me I had problems with commitment because when asked about tattoos I said I didn't like their permanence.

Did you tell her she had a problem with logic?

That's not an illogical claim.

It might be an unreasonable one, but it is not an illogical claim.

I think it's illogical to say just because you don't like the permanence of a tattoo, you have problems with commitment in all forms. I mean that's a blanket judgement based on a single example.

Just because you don't want to try escargot doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem trying new things.

But it could also be that case that you don't want to try escargot because you have a problem trying new things. It does not necessarily infer it, but proposing that you do not like to try escargot because you do not like to try new things is not contradictory, either.

A tattoo is, by definition, an an indelible, long lasting thing. Commitment is a binding relationship with a long lasting thing. It's not unreasonable, although it is not logically inferred, to argue that if one has a problem with on commitment the one has a problem with the idea of commitment in general. However, to assume such a thing in itself is rather unreasonable while nevertheless not being illogical.

I spent way to long trying to respond to this so I'm just going to chalk it up to a difference of terms, and the colloquial definition of "illogical" being pretty much the same as "unreasonable."

Nocturne on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

It was pretty great. The way the Tarantino uses long dialogue sessions to build tension with rather percussive action strikes me as something kind of old-fashioned in terms of movies. Like, you don't see it much anymore.

yeah the Tarantino is pretty good at that. The dialogue was that much sharper and more focused in this to make, in my opinion, the best use of it yet which is saying something. also the use of language and respect to the real effect of communication in a place and time like that was .

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    THe next time someone wants to have a conversation about the great deals they found on things that they purchased I am going to just flat-out turn around and walk away.

So how about those Steam sales, eh?

Tav on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Tarantino takes entirely too much shit from people, he's a good director. That first scene in Basterds is incredibly powerful and no scrub director is going to get that same level of tension.
    Seriously. I really enjoyed Inglourious Basterds.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

The whole movie did that brilliantly. The scene with the
    bar and the parlour game

was just fantastic

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    My roommate just google mapped something on this Droid while sitting at his computer.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for casual encounters. But I like it to be with someone I have a good time with, not some sort of meat hole cost benefit analysis.

Exactly. I mean, I have no experience in this matter, but it seems to me that sex is about the people involved. That you just wanna stick your dick somewhere, even if that somewhere is a somewhere you can't stand, is totally up to you. Maybe it's not pathetic, but it is sad.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, I haven't seen a movie since District 9. I really should go see one soon.

Cinders on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spent the better part of a paycheck in one transaction today. It felt delicious.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Basterds was like, 45 minutes too long.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cinders wrote: »
    I just bought it.

Good movie.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tarintino gets shit because he's basically girl talk who acts as if he were beethoven.

podly you don't really think that do you?

Variable on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SHUT UP ABOUT BASTERDS. I HAVEN'T WATCHED IT YET. THE BLU RAY IS SITTING ON MY DESK!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't know why I get frustrated every time someone on the internet judges me without really knowing me, but I guess I can't help it.

You'd think I'd be over it by now. lolinternet

I'm going to go watch TV with my dad for a bit.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

The whole movie did that brilliantly. The scene with the
    bar and the parlour game

was just fantastic

The scene with
    Shosanna and Landa eating strudel and drinking milk was just as awesome to watch as anything else in the movie. I about shit my pants when he ordered the milk for her.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It's waiting for me at home when I get off work.

On Blu Ray

Right next to my PS3

And my 1080p LCD TV

Sorry I haven't watched anything in high def on this TV yet and just got the HDMI cable today before I had to leave for work so I am excited.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also, while Brad Pitt pretty much played a cartoon in that movie, he is always fun to watch in a role. Who would have thought that he would have been the actor from that period of actors who really had staying power and acting ability beside just being a dreamboat?

Well, him and Johnny Depp I guess.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My roommate just google mapped something on this Droid while sitting at his computer.

Did you fling poo at him?

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    Basterds was like, 45 minutes too short.

Needs more bear jew.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited December 2009

So how about those Steam sales, eh?

I love a good deal I'll admit it. I am not interested to read about good deals on what I don't care about, but someone finding a rare game or movie for cheap is fun to me.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SHUT UP ABOUT BASTERDS. I HAVEN'T WATCHED IT YET. THE BLU RAY IS SITTING ON MY DESK!

dude turn off your internets and watch the movie

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

what

i know it's english

but what

Tav on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also, while Brad Pitt pretty much played a cartoon in that movie, he is always fun to watch in a role. Who would have thought that he would have been the actor from that period of actors who really had staying power and acting ability beside just being a dreamboat?

Brad Pitts reminds me of George Clooney which reminds me to tell every to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It's waiting for me at home when I get off work.

On Blu Ray

Right next to my PS3

And my 1080p LCD TV

Sorry I haven't watched anything in high def on this TV yet and just got the HDMI cable today before I had to leave for work so I am excited.

nice, you should be.

I probably should watch it too on my ps3 on blu-ray on my not LCD but 1080P tv. we could gab about it.haven't seen it at all.

Variable on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Variable wrote: »

podly you don't really think that do you?

I think he's a self-aggrandizing, pompous prick who gets most of his inspiration directly from your standard postmodern blend of auter-homage and low-culture kitschery. Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy Tarintino flicks. But I personally can't stand the man, and I get annoyed by the praise that he gets for blatantly using shots and devices of other directors.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Basterds was like, 45 minutes too short.

Needs more bear jew.

Eli Roth's Boston accent was almost distracting, and I live here.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't see what's wrong with wanting to have sex with someone for the pure physical pleasure of it.

I guess that makes me "sad".

That you want it so desperately as to deal with someone you rather not be around at all is a little sad, yeah.
    I think you went to the extreme there.

If I can't stand to be around someone at all, then the shit I have to put up with is too much for the reward.

If they have a lot of annoying qualities, but a couple redeeming ones (like, they're dumb and vapid, but overall a nice person, or a complete bitch but fun to talk to) then I don't mind putting up with some of their shit.

It's all a matter of degree.

There are certain qualities I find irredeemable, which is where I suppose you and I differ.

I guess a big part of where I'm coming from is also that there can be serious consequences with sex, and so if I'm going to do it I'm going to do it with people I'm actually interested in. Really, if your only option is someone you're not into, but she has a vagina, why not just go home and masturbate? The safest, simplest solution.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I just saw Burn After Reading the other day.

That movie had a great cast, but I think I loved Pitt the most.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

dude turn off your internets and watch the movie

I'm waiting for some time over the break when I can sit down and enjoy it.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I am going to bed.

Goonight. chat.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hope my new roommates, whoever they are, prove to be people I can watch movies with. That is to say, I hope they have similar tastes to myself and don't interject with comments like, "I knew that was going to happen."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I hope my new roommates, whoever they are, prove to be people I can watch movies with. That is to say, I hope they have similar tastes to myself and don't interject with comments like, "I knew that was going to happen."

I knew you were gonna say that.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2009

if you have the disc, watch the roudtable feature. it's pitt and tarantino and an interviewer (not really a roundtable but I think the disc calls it a roundtable). there are a couple of parts where it seems like tarantino knows more, or thinks more, about Pitt's acting than Pitt does. which is awesome because he also describes it as being a natural thing he falls into, so it makes sense he has less precise things to say about it.

but anyway, it's funny and informative besides that, if you get around to it.

Variable on
This discussion has been closed.