Options

Still The Real [Final Fantasy Thread]

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've give you Mana but they've put a ton of effort into each and every CC game.

Didn't the asshole who created the Mana series say that he hated Secret of Mana, and that's why he continues to push different gameplay with the newer titles?

Because seriously, I wish I could get paid to be so wrong.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    From what I've been able to gather, it's a very interesting world with a cool main character, of a type that doesn't usually appear in typical JRPGs. Lots of exciting events involving his telekinesis powers, weapons, airships, and other wild battles.

And, it's all ruined by the typical sloppy waggle controls that plenty of Wii games suffer from. I've heard after you realize you can't really pull off anything cool when you want to, the game nosedives really fast.

The trailers and vids looked really cool, though.

Damn, that's too bad. I was getting pretty pumped reading your first sentence. Oh how the waggle makes me sad =(

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Let's see.

It's a set of PSP upgrades of a GBA sidegrade with new content of a PSX upgrade of 2 wonderswan color upgrades of two Famicom games.

You forgot the MSX version.

halkun on
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I didn't really agree when people were saying FF13 is the most difficult final fantasy ever. Sure, the combat is more difficult, but when you die there is no penalty and you respawn just a few steps away from the pack you pulled. Then I got to chapter 11, what the fucking fuck.

nerve on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    nerve wrote: »
    I didn't really agree when people were saying FF13 is the most difficult final fantasy ever. Sure, the combat is more difficult, but when you die there is no penalty and you respawn just a few steps away from the pack you pulled. Then I got to chapter 11, what the fucking fuck.

Even ignoring the increase in difficulty, I think that's generally what people mean by "It's the most difficult FF game". The fights are harder. Nevermind that when you fail you can try again immediately...the point is that there is actual challenge in combat, which while flirted with in FFXII, had largely been a non-issue in the series since FF5.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dunno, FF XII (Which I just picked up on the cheap) isn't that hard unless you decide you want to deviate from the set story path... at which point it kills your firstborn child and rapes your face with a meat grinder.

Aside from that, I've only found a few of the story bosses mildly difficult.

Also, did the FF 12 team work on the FF IV DS remake, or do they just have a serious hard on for it? There's so many similarities and shared items between the two it's kind of hard to just chalk it up to coincidence.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    XII has a lot of throwbacks to many previous FF games. Not as much as IX, but yeah.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Throwbacks are common in plenty but FF12 seems to have some very FF IV specific items.
    It has almost the exact same title music, load screen music, heavy intro emphasis on airships. Zeromus is a side boss, they have essentially a loadstone cavern section. And that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now. And of course the standard Cid/Chocobo tropes, but those are in almost every FF game.

Just seems there were several elements specifically lifted from FF IV as opposed to the generic shared elements the rest of the series is known for.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Throwbacks are common in plenty but FF12 seems to have some very FF IV specific items.
    It has almost the exact same title music, load screen music, heavy intro emphasis on airships. Zeromus is a side boss, they have essentially a loadstone cavern section. And that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now. And of course the standard Cid/Chocobo tropes, but those are in almost every FF game.

Just seems there were several elements specifically lifted from FF IV as opposed to the generic shared elements the rest of the series is known for.

Eh, XIII has a lot of very obvious homages in it as well. I don't put much stock in it being anything more than trying to wink slyly at the hardcore fans.

Also, I just finished the final boss of XIII and it was pretty awesome. The fight was challenging but not overly so, and the ending was enjoyable albeit short.

I look forward to now doing all the monster hunts and turning my characters into ridiculous combat monsters.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just got FFIV for the DS in the mail today.

I have never, ever, ever died to a random battle at the very beginning of a Final Fantasy game since I got the first FF game on the NES.

Good grief.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

I have never, ever, ever died to a random battle at the very beginning of a Final Fantasy game since I got the first FF game on the NES.

Good grief.

Heh, I remember that happening to me when I imported the game before I knew any Japanese. I figured "It's FF4, I know how this works" and got raped.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

Good grief.

Yeah, they made the game a LOT harder. I didn't find the beginning bad, but once I got through the Village of Mist? Yeah, started to get a whole lot tougher. Status effects are your friend, learn them and use them well... many enemies and bosses tend to be vulnerable to at least one major status ailment (slow, silence, etc).

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The beginning has always been sort of difficult in any FF4 version especially if you come into it all cocky, as those guys hit hard.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    Let's see.

It's a set of PSP upgrades of a GBA sidegrade with new content of a PSX upgrade of 2 wonderswan color upgrades of two Famicom games.

You forgot the MSX version.

It's clearly based on the Famicom version. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    So how about that FFT. That there is some good SRPG. Funny story: I found the PSP port in a bargain bin at Best Buy for $10, literally moments after noticing the bargain bin and telling my brother "Y'know, you can often find great stuff in the bargain bin. I wonder if they have that FFT port..." And it was the only one in the bin, too.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try something interesting like an all-orator team or all-ninja.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The beginning has always been sort of difficult in any FF4 version especially if you come into it all cocky, as those guys hit hard.

Well with me it's not so much stuff hitting hard as "oh hey, a group of four birds that all cast petrify on the two characters you have."

After that game over, I bought a good half dozen gold needles.

Edit: Are Orators in the PSP version of FFT renamed Mediators from the PSX one? If so, then that's a very easy but fun single-class run.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did some of the Challenge of the Titan yesterday and it was going pretty well until I was killed by
    Three fucking Tonberries.

I have no clue how to fight that many!

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As someone who hasn't play any of the FF games, which one would be best to start with? I have a Wii and PC.

I have enjoyed Secret of Mana / Fire Emblem / Chrono Trigger / Earthbound in the past

ToddJewell on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally finished Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.

It wasn't Crisis Core-Caliber manly tears but the ending was still a real downer.

Also the final scenes that finally bring full closure to
    the Deep Dive trailer from way back

were pretty epic.

The BbS reference also increases the anticipation for that game.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You know something interesting about FFXIII?

Characters are actually unique, despite first appearances. Each character is good at three of the six roles. And even post-game when you unlock the other three, they'll never be as good in that role as their specialties. Also, even among the different roles each character learns some unique things.

FFXIII characters are versatile, yet unique. This is different for FF games. Probably the closest FF game it comes to is FFVI.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pata wrote: »

Characters are actually unique, despite first appearances. Each character is good at three of the six roles. And even post-game when you unlock the other three, they'll never be as good in that role as their specialties. Also, even among the different roles each character learns some unique things.

FFXIII characters are versatile, yet unique. This is different for FF games. Probably the closest FF game it comes to is FFVI.
    When you mean unlock do you mean actually filled out, right?

I was watching some Not Sphere Grid videos and noticed that the Minor roles are really anemic.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Al Baron wrote: »

I was watching some Not Sphere Grid videos and noticed that the Minor roles are really anemic.

They really are. I mean, you can still use them in a pinch (say, 3 defenders is pretty good sometimes just to lower the damage of a crazy attack), but they'll never be as good as Snow, or to a lesser extent, Fang.

I love that each character has specific strengths while still being versatile...I totally expected the game to let everyone learn everything at the end, but I'm glad that's not the case.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    As someone who hasn't play any of the FF games, which one would be best to start with? I have a Wii and PC.

I have enjoyed Secret of Mana / Fire Emblem / Chrono Trigger / Earthbound in the past

Hmm, Wii and PC don't leave you a lot of options. Do you have a GBA, SNES, or PSX in a closet somewhere?

If not, your best bet is trying to locate a copy of the PC version of FFVII. Good luck :(

gjaustin on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I take it that everyone got their chocobo avatar pet?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

They really are. I mean, you can still use them in a pinch (say, 3 defenders is pretty good sometimes just to lower the damage of a crazy attack), but they'll never be as good as Snow, or to a lesser extent, Fang.

I love that each character has specific strengths while still being versatile...I totally expected the game to let everyone learn everything at the end, but I'm glad that's not the case.

Is Snow really that much better at tanking? I haven't rotated my party of Lightning/Hope/Fang for like the entire chapter 10/11. Sazh and Snow have over 400k CP unused and I was forced to use some of vanille's CP stockpile when you fight her summon. I haven't really had to change anyone out, though some fights are pretty difficult because of it.

nerve on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dunno, FF XII (Which I just picked up on the cheap) isn't that hard unless you decide you want to deviate from the set story path... at which point it kills your firstborn child and rapes your face with a meat grinder.

Also, did the FF 12 team work on the FF IV DS remake, or do they just have a serious hard on for it? There's so many similarities and shared items between the two it's kind of hard to just chalk it up to coincidence.

I need to go back and finish 12. I got so sidetracked doing all the monster hunting side quests and gear hunting that I burnt myself out by the time I got back to the story. Plus, I was so overpowered by the time I got back to the story, the battles were boring.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I need to go back and finish 12. I got so sidetracked doing all the monster hunting side quests and gear hunting that I burnt myself out by the time I got back to the story. Plus, I was so overpowered by the time I got back to the story, the battles were boring.

Same here, I'm pretty close to the end too....

nerve on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    nerve wrote: »

Is Snow really that much better at tanking? I haven't rotated my party of Lightning/Hope/Fang for like the entire chapter 10/11. Sazh and Snow have over 400k CP unused and I was forced to use some of vanille's CP stockpile when you fight her summon. I haven't really had to change anyone out, though some fights are pretty difficult because of it.

Snow gets the most Defender abilities along with having the most HP. He's got over 20k for me now.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Who else got their free chocobo 360 avatar item from that microsoft/square giveaway? I did last thursday or so.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I must have completely missed this giveaway. I didn't even realize there was one going on.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    シーンドライブ is rad.

nerve on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So guys... any ideas on how to Adamantoise?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So guys.

Crystal Bearers. What think?

I got it myself. Got frustrated by the controls at the start, and by the fact that Layle can do so much awesome stuff when I'm not controlling him, but I got used to the play style, and I think it's pretty fun. The Bahamut fight was pretty cool, and that was only the first real "boss" battle, so I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Enlong on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Is that a dance move or something?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah, you need
    to have maxed out Vanille's jammer role (so you have the death spell), and then all you need is at least 3 TP.

You enter battle and immediately summon. For whatever reason, summoning immediately breaks the Adamantoise's legs. While his legs are all fucked up, hit him with deshell and whatever that other spell is (the one with the elemental icons and the down arrow, I think it's called weak). After that, just spam death until it works. Bam, 80,000 CP (with Grow Egg) and chance of Platinum Ingots and that 2nd tier -> 3rd tier upgrade item.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The card battle against Edea in FF8 is so rigged....

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If by Edea you mean Ellone, then yes.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If by Edea you mean Ellone, then yes.

No, I mean Edea, and it's fucking rigged. She's a goddamned psychic. I've been at it for over an hour and have only beat her once and that was one of the times her card wasn't on the playing field. I'll be slaughtering her the entire match and then bam her last card literally flips the entire field to hers. It's insane.

I have all my cards modded except ones that require multiples and my good ones, and most of the time the game picks the shit cards and I get maybe one decent one...

So rigged.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Don't care, Edea is a chump compared to Ellone. I think I spent about a day the first time I got there trying to get the rare off of her.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah, you need
    to have maxed out Vanille's jammer role (so you have the death spell), and then all you need is at least 3 TP.

You enter battle and immediately summon. For whatever reason, summoning immediately breaks the Adamantoise's legs. While his legs are all fucked up, hit him with deshell and whatever that other spell is (the one with the elemental icons and the down arrow, I think it's called weak). After that, just spam death until it works. Bam, 80,000 CP (with Grow Egg) and chance of Platinum Ingots and that 2nd tier -> 3rd tier upgrade item.
    I thought of the idea to use death too and just wasn't having any luck. I finally tried your thing with the summon and it never broke the adamantamai's legs. The best attempt I had with this strat got him down to like 30% using JUST the summon and it still didnt break his legs. Finally I used a damn barrier smoke and went heal/bla/atk and just had vanille eat the stomps while healing the group. I was able to keep everyone up till about 15% or 20% when I finally had to use her summon and just finished it off like that. This strat gave me 0 stars but at least I finally beat it, sheesh.

Maybe I'm just not leveled enough but I really don't know how you break its legs. I could have used death the first time we broke him (without the summon) but the AI healer just isn't fast enough to keep the group up if I didn't heal. I had cura/cura/cure cued up before most attacks or adjusted as necessary.

nerve on