As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STO] Open Beta is On! (you still need a key)

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok, now things are starting to get shitty...

I'm getting frequent crashes while playing this.
    Not game/program crashes but freakin' hard/BSOD system crashes.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am enjoying PvP as well, decided to look at it now as a Klingon after I did all the current Federation content and hit the current level cap, just hit level 11 as Klingon and I kinda like it, I am not usually one to enjoy PvP, but the space combat is fun enough that I like it as PvP too, I have purposefully avoided the ground combat though.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do you have dynamic lighting on, or are you forcing antialiasing through your drivers on an ATI card? If so, disable both.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    Do you have dynamic lighting on, or are you forcing antialiasing through your drivers on an ATI card? If so, disable both.

Nah, I'm using a GeForce 8600GT. I just grabbed the latest drivers since I was having similar problems with the older ones.

I'll double check the options though on the AA an lighting. At least I can access the menu. It's whenever I start playing that BSOD kicks in.

What gets me though is that this is an open beta and the head start is what, 3 days after this? Is that enough time to fix these major crashes?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nocren wrote: »

Nah, I'm using a GeForce 8600GT. I just grabbed the latest drivers since I was having similar problems with the older ones.

I'll double check the options though on the AA an lighting. At least I can access the menu. It's whenever I start playing that BSOD kicks in.

What gets me though is that this is an open beta and the head start is what, 3 days after this? Is that enough time to fix these major crashes?

Last I heard the newer nVidia drivers are having problems with STO. I'm running 190.62 and so far I haven't had any problems (I hope it stays that way!) OTOH people running 195 nVidia drivers were having problems. You could try rolling back. Of course the correct solution is Cryptic fixing the problem, but if you try 190.62 you might be able to play.

ydejin on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Argh. My plans for this evening fell through, which suddenly leaves me with a huge chunk of time to play STO that I was not expecting. And I can't log into the fucking game.
    "The server is busy. Please try again later."

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Argh. My plans for this evening fell through, which suddenly leaves me with a huge chunk of time to play STO that I was not expecting. And I can't log into the fucking game.
    "The server is busy. Please try again later."

You just have to keep trying. Eventually you'll get through.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, missions scale their difficulty when youre in a team? Even if the rest of your team is a bajillion miles away in another solar system? Either that or ive just now gotten the hardest string of missions in the entire game. I am only level 5 so that seams doubtful.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hi everyone!

This is really amazing! We have hit the limit of how many players we can fit on the server right now!

This is one of those times where we're both sad, and glad. On the one side, you all enjoy the game so much, we can't squeeze anyone else on to the server. (I can't log in right now either! )

On the other side, we really want to let you all on the server! So, here's what we're working on:

1) We're increasing server capacity. We have new machines coming in to add to the server, and we've put a rush order on them. We're going to bring them online as soon as we can.

2) We're working on software solutions as well. Our development team is working night and day to be able to get as much power as we can from each machine, and we're focusing on increasing capacity, and server stability.

For now, all we can say is, please keep trying. We know it's frustrating. Please keep trying though. You never know when you might be able to get in!

Thank you for your patience, thank you for your support, and thank you for your interest in Star Trek Online!

Stormshade

Cade on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I need a Fleet Invite please.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ydejin wrote: »

Last I heard the newer nVidia drivers are having problems with STO. I'm running 190.62 and so far I haven't had any problems (I hope it stays that way!) OTOH people running 195 nVidia drivers were having problems. You could try rolling back. Of course the correct solution is Cryptic fixing the problem, but if you try 190.62 you might be able to play.

well, I'd love to try this out but my some got royally fucked.
    I tried to load up STO to adjust the options and had a hard crash and now my system won't event fucking stay on...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well, I'd love to try this out but my some got royally fucked.
    I tried to load up STO to adjust the options and had a hard crash and now my system won't event fucking stay on...

Ouch. That sounds awful. It sound like it might not be STO related, maybe there's some sort of larger hardware problem. I hope you're able to get it fixed.

ydejin on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Soooo...someone convince me to pay $50.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I love the Tier 2 BoPs Combat cloaking, it's so awesome, I tried the Klingon space Fleet Action with it and when the dreaded "every NPC ship gangs up on you" happened, I just hit combat cloak and flew away, sure I lost a shitload of hull doing it, but I usually survived compared to definitely NOT living through that kind of barrage normally.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really don't think it's worth $50. It's fun, but if you like the idea of star trek space combat, i'd play the starfleet command series of games instead. The "MMO" parts of it - public quests, grinding and PvP, are fun - no part of this game is a chore yet - but not worth the investment. At the moment, unless i'm mistaken, you can't have any lasting impact on the game world. You can't push borders, or take objectives from the klingons, or cause any permanent damage to other players, a la EVE.

I've had fun doing the STO space combat, but every time I do it I find myself hankering for SFC more.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    On that last bit, how many MMOs really let you do that? And can remain fun to anyone but the most ball-bash enduring people?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    On that last bit, how many MMOs really let you do that? And can remain fun to anyone but the most ball-bash enduring people?

Basically none. The very fact that he referenced EVE shows you just how far from reality he is operating. :mrgreen:

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    johnnythefifthjohnnythefifth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    this game is sweet!

johnnythefifth on
    The enemy's gate is always down!
  • Options
    Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    All in all. I'm enjoying this quite a lot and i'll likely be subscribing for a good long while. My problems with it basically coming down to the dire lack of any information on, well, anything. I barely know what does what and considering some things like traits are pretty much set for the characters life that get's old quick.

Though as a tiny little side note. The game could do with perhaps something more approaching a penalty for death and i wouldn't mind an area of space that's a bit more vicious and pvpish. Something like 0.0 out of EvE would be fine and grand.

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The problem being, in such an area of space it would -have- to be Klingon VS Federation, or K vs K. It wouldn't make sense for federation ships to be preying on other members of the federation after all.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I'll likely be passing on this one, unless some future free trial happens to come up from behind when I'm not looking and clobber me with a throbbing mountain salmon before dropping my twitching body off in downtown Hotdamn, the flying city ship capital of Awesomeland. Always a possibility, but my inner Trekkie is a weak, shriveled thing that only surfaces to hunt for space squirrels at the coming of the Blue Moon.

I get the same feeling from it that I got from Pirates of the Burning Sea. I'd probably enjoy it immensely, but I'd have to bribe or threaten my friends into playing it with me. And in the meantime they'd be thumbing their noses at my tales of transporting space cows from planet to planet and making off color japes at my efforts to supply a space rum distillery.

Only we don't get to do that in Trek, so they'd be laughing at me for talking about Klingons.

They are so mean.

'Course, if this were billed as "SFC with player and crew interaction. For serious come launch some wild weasels and fire Plasma Torpedoes and Drone Missiles and shit, we have Gorn. And those stupid looking Lyrians and Hydrans and whatever. Transport explosive redshirts into their engine rooms. Damage control. Bombard peace loving alien races from orbit." I would have no other choice but to hunt them all down and convert them by force. I could probably bludgeon them into compliance with the SFC2 manual, come to think of it

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    While hunting around a map looking for plants to scan I decided this game isn't for me. There are some good ideas, the space combat is especially fun, but there's too much normal MMO crap that turns me off.

tofu on
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    While hunting around a map looking for plants to scan I decided this game isn't for me. There are some good ideas, the space combat is especially fun, but there's too much normal MMO crap that turns me off.

Just don't do the randomly generated missions like that one. They're buggy at the moment and it is easy to level without them.

pantsy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The problem being, in such an area of space it would -have- to be Klingon VS Federation, or K vs K. It wouldn't make sense for federation ships to be preying on other members of the federation after all.

True, that does make it problematic. Though given such a thing would be fairly complex and large perhaps they could wait and put it in with a third faction? Dominion perhaps. Romulans i suspect would be too close to Klingons in ship style to really be worth playing all that much. Though as i consider it perhaps put in a third faction. Then give it a month or two for those playing them to grow into their ships and then release such an expansion.

I mean, i don't want anything exactly like 0.0 in EvE. It wouldn't work in theme for STO anyway. Plus all the random metagaming crap that takes place would get old quick for most people. I kind of like it myself, but i'm a bit of a git. Something like DAoC's keep system wouldn't be too bad. Though in this case it'd be more like space stations.

*muse* maybe systems/intresting area's controlled by various types of station. Got to knock down the shields using spaceships, then take it over with boarding party's. Letting those who focus on away missions and those who focus on ships both get fairly equal fun.

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Blinks77 wrote: »

True, that does make it problematic. Though given such a thing would be fairly complex and large perhaps they could wait and put it in with a third faction? Dominion perhaps. Romulans i suspect would be too close to Klingons in ship style to really be worth playing all that much. Though as i consider it perhaps put in a third faction. Then give it a month or two for those playing them to grow into their ships and then release such an expansion.

I mean, i don't want anything exactly like 0.0 in EvE. It wouldn't work in theme for STO anyway. Plus all the random metagaming crap that takes place would get old quick for most people. I kind of like it myself, but i'm a bit of a git. Something like DAoC's keep system wouldn't be too bad. Though in this case it'd be more like space stations.

*muse* maybe systems/intresting area's controlled by various types of station. Got to knock down the shields using spaceships, then take it over with boarding party's. Letting those who focus on away missions and those who focus on ships both get fairly equal fun.

Romulans are actually the next race they are planning to introduce followed by Cardassians and their ships look fantastic in game.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I just started trying to play this game, but screw it the thing is unplayable. Huge amounts of lag rubber banding every few steps. The game tells me when I hit the first planet to stick with my away team, but I HAVE no away team even though I specifically picked a dude to come with me before I came down. And all anyone can tell me to do is look on the away team action bar, which I don't see anywhere, and to click "request reinforcements" or something, which I can't find on my screen, or to try re-zoning which I don't know how to do. Fuck this shit.

Also how do you run out of server space during a beta in which you control exactly how many keys you give out?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    So I just started trying to play this game, but screw it the thing is unplayable. Huge amounts of lag rubber banding every few steps. The game tells me when I hit the first planet to stick with my away team, but I HAVE no away team even though I specifically picked a dude to come with me before I came down. And all anyone can tell me to do is look on the away team action bar, which I don't see anywhere, and to click "request reinforcements" or something, which I can't find on my screen, or to try re-zoning which I don't know how to do. Fuck this shit.
    A crazy amount of lag in an open beta on the first Saturday....I can't believe it!!! How could it be!!!! Oh Noes!!!!!!! Really, calm down the game played fine till the overload of players and they already stated that they are adding more hardware.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Romulans? But won't they play exactly the same as klingons? Essentially Cloak+Lots of firepower up front. At least currently the two diffrent factions have diffrent types of ship. I'm not saying Romulans arn't pretty, i'm sure they are. Though i've been a bit too busy in EvE to really level up and run into them. Still though something diffrent would have been better.

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    No! It is Doomed©®™, I know it!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got it installed and running. Lieutenant Lovely Rita from USS Meter Maid will try to join the PA fleet for some space pew pew.

The game seems fine so far, but they should fire the guy who did ground avatar animations. Actually, they should fire everyone who is responsible for graphics during ground combat, and promote people who did the space combat.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Romulans? But won't they play exactly the same as klingons? Essentially Cloak+Lots of firepower up front. At least currently the two diffrent factions have diffrent types of ship. I'm not saying Romulans arn't pretty, i'm sure they are. Though i've been a bit too busy in EvE to really level up and run into them. Still though something diffrent would have been better.

You really can't have Star trek and leave the Romulans out as a playable faction. I mean sure you can have just Feddies and Klingons but then if you add a third or more factions Romulans are in. Besides the devs have already stated their desire for Romulans and under factions Feddies, Klingons, Romulan and Cardassian are the listed factions.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can see the Logic of your argument and will even admit that it's quite valid. I will, however, continue to bitch. So there.

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

You really can't have Star trek and leave the Romulans out as a playable faction. I mean sure you can have just Feddies and Klingons but then if you add a third or more factions Romulans are in. Besides the devs have already stated their desire for Romulans and under factions Feddies, Klingons, Romulan and Cardassian are the listed factions.

Romulans are going to get pretty complicated what with the civil war and all.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My impression from my beta experience to date is that it will be a fine game when it goes free to play/ cash shop and the client is free to download.

Definitely not worth a 50$ box and subscription fee. I can however see the appeal if you are a die hard trek fan. It seems to cater to the Trek Fan looking for a game rather than a seasoned MMO veteran looking for a new fix or in between MMO's.

Combat does not feel very tactical , whether on the ground or in space. In fact I have done whole ground missions with nothing equipped and done nothing but activate the console I needed to activate to complete the mission and just let my AI controlled away team do the work , not even issuing them commands , just to see if I made a difference in the equation... sadly the only difference was my actions just sped things along as best I could tell.

Space combat was just rotate around another ship fire phasers until that ships shields went down then aim your ship front at the other and shoot a torpedo then rinse and repeat without much variation.

This game's space combat feels like eve npc battles without the orbit button.

The good is that it is very solo friendly , very. You don't have to recruit people into helping on a fleet type mission, you just zone in and there's a fleet already there kicking ass or people zip in one by one if you're early for it , and if you join the action late you are caught up to the rest of the instance. It's not uncommon to be destroy 20 ships complete out of 40 when you zone into the mission.

The graphics are a little hyped up , I wasn't impressed , they definitely can't be considered eye popping or incredible , I wouldn't call them terrible either, the animation and particle effects are a snooze, the explosions are rendered terribly and are very anticlimactic.

I like how it's very quest based and non grindy.

They put you in cool ships without a terrible time sink or annoying grind. They let you pick one of your choosing every ten levels then let you customize the look for free, at least in beta. I easily had the money to afford a second ship of the same tier at level 11 without even trying to hoard money or really make it.

I don't see their being alot of gold farmer spam in the game because it is very easy to accumulate some money and there just isnt alot of stuff to buy.

Upgrades in the game can use a buff, I literally had components from a quest reward that gave +.01% point-zero-one percent upgrade to a stat which really didn't make me feel very rewarding , but on the otherhand I can see alot of people that aren't loot driven or may be burned out on that progression model enjoying that. In fact gear matters about as much as skill it seems , gear is pretty bad and the tactics and such are pretty bad so it equals out.

The Klingon side definitely seems more challenging than the federations, the ships are extremely squishy and the weapons much more rigid and restrictive so it's more difficult to take alot of damage and fights are alot busier , not any harder just that it seemed like they tied one hand behind your back and have you some wet newspaper for a shield. some people may call that a challenge , some people call that being gimped. I haven't spent enough time on the red side to speak definitively about klingon game play.

Character creation is pretty good but if that's important to you , there are already much cheaper games out there that do it alot better. Yeah there are some sliders you can tweak and a box you can type in your fan-fic back story but nothing that will blow your mind.

This game doesn't do anything really terrible, it's pretty hard to be harsh on it , on the other hand what it does well it does merely mediocre at best.

Personally I wont be buying it retail because the price point is way over-reaching and while I certainly can afford their most aggressive money grabbing lifetime subscription model I don't think it's worthwhile to encourage MMO studios and the industry to put out such lukewarm titles as they have in the past couple years.

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    PendegastPendegast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    goodtimes wrote: »
    My impression from my beta experience to date is that it will be a fine game when it goes free to play/ cash shop and the client is free to download.

You... You know that's not going to happen, right?

Pendegast on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The further I play, the more I regret having my character be an engineer. All the really cool kits I want to use are tactical or science, it seems, and I swear my special ability / current kit doesn't do anything. (something about weapons malfunction).

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Engineering has some awesome kits though, and many of them are available on Earth Space Dock.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Engineering has some awesome kits though, and many of them are available on Earth Space Dock.

That's the other thing.. I feel perpetually broke. I eventually sold some crap just to get some basic upgrades (a better rifle and some armor), but most of the cool stuff seems to come from other mechanisms, like the anomaly scans or whatever the heck all that stuff in the middle of the earth base is for.

I guess I really am just coming from a WoW mentality, where I expect most of my needs to be provided by questing. I'm really worried, because I'm level 6 and it seems to be going even slower now, and I want to get into an escort ship.

... Well, actually, I want a large variety of ships, so I can pilot whatever meets my needs.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've not had that many issues myself. I mean, okay. I've not really bought any ground stuff at all but so far as space goes i'm running around in all mk2 stuff. Which seems fairly good enough. Maybe later on i'll have energy woes i suppose.

Anyway, all i've really been doing is acting like a locust and hoovering up everything i can and selling it.

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Biggest issue I have is all the difference currencies you need to buy shit. To buy ship weapons you need explorer badges or some shit on the 2nd tier, same with weapons. What the hell. How do I even get those?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.