Options

Corporate America, Or, Everything you believe has been sold to you

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Texas also has the hilarious distinction of having a jones for executions and gerrymandering.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    SosSos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    texas has the lowest graduation rate in the entire country, probably flat-out the worst record for education in general, and the highest rate of teen pregnancy, so no, it's really not solidly ahead of anyone!

it rolls many of the worst social-conservative policies and legislative effects into a puffed-up and deeply confusing sense of self-righteousness. there's a reason for all those "just let them secede already" jokes

i mean i come from new jersey, home of guidos and jewish organ thieves

at least i'm willing to admit that burning my state to the ground would count as gentrification

Lowest graduation rate belongs to Nevada. Texas is about ten places behind. source

Texas is 5th in Teen Pregnancy. source

Texas is an average red state when concerned with its social conservatism. The libertarian movement at least keeps it from going as crazy as Kansas. The secession Perry spouts is just rhetoric, a political strategy to draw a distinction between him as the conservative hero and his primary opponent Hutchinson as the liberal from Washington D.C.

The only reason we got gerrymandered so bad this year was it happened right as Republicans took control (started beginning in 1996, now our legislature is 50/50).

As for the textbook thing. That is only concerning the textbooks Texas buys, not all of which that are produced. The reason Texas produces so many textbooks? No income tax and we have a fund (the Texas Enterprise Fund) to bribe businesses to come into Texas.

I have some issues with the state, but I have close to the same amount of issues with the federal government. I would say Texas is below average but not rock bottom.

Sos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Texas: It's not Alabama.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Also, to the line you quoted; I don't think wanting is the human condition. People in Europe do not buy useless shit at nearly the rate that people in the USA do.

Yeah, well, Europe is kind of a shithole.

You, my friend, have never been to Europe.

I went to school over there for my undergrad. As well, all my inlaws live there.

I've been there.

Poor taste then. To describe it as a shit-hole in its entirety shows a lack of reason and pure emotional out lash.

Not really.

In an economic reality, my life in America has far greater purchasing power than anything I could hope for in Europe. I have a suitably large home near a major urban center, and my wife and I both have well-paying jobs that do not require too much time away from home and did not require copious amounts of money or time spent in gaining the requisite education. We both have new cars, we travel frequently (New Orleans in two weeks, Scotland later this fall), and we go to the cinema or theater sometimes weekly.

As my wife would say, it's not that people want for less in Europe. They're just used to having less.

Eh, yeah that basically describes my life as well. My first year in college cost me €900, this year cost me €1500, cheap enough that I could earn back the fees several times over by working during the summer. My family has two cars and our home in the Dublin suburbs comfortably houses our family of six.

As has already been said, Europe has it's problems and like everywhere else is struggling with the economic downturn but the idea that it's a "shithole" is stupid.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Sos wrote: »
    texas has the lowest graduation rate in the entire country, probably flat-out the worst record for education in general, and the highest rate of teen pregnancy, so no, it's really not solidly ahead of anyone!

it rolls many of the worst social-conservative policies and legislative effects into a puffed-up and deeply confusing sense of self-righteousness. there's a reason for all those "just let them secede already" jokes

at least i'm willing to admit that burning my state to the ground would count as gentrification

Lowest graduation rate belongs to Nevada. Texas is about ten places behind. source

Texas is 5th in Teen Pregnancy. source

Texas is an average red state when concerned with its social conservatism. The libertarian movement at least keeps it from going as crazy as Kansas. The secession Perry spouts is just rhetoric, a political strategy to draw a distinction between him as the conservative hero and his primary opponent Hutchinson as the liberal from Washington D.C.

The only reason we got gerrymandered so bad this year was it happened right as Republicans took control (started beginning in 1996, now our legislature is 50/50).

As for the textbook thing. That is only concerning the textbooks Texas buys, not all of which that are produced. The reason Texas produces so many textbooks? No income tax and we have a fund (the Texas Enterprise Fund) to bribe businesses to come into Texas.

I have some issues with the state, but I have close to the same amount of issues with the federal government. I would say Texas is below average but not rock bottom.

Actually, it's because CA doesn't assign its textbooks uniformly, so Texas is the most powerful market.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Arkady wrote: »

Yeah and I'd still rather be here than anywhere East of here and South of the Mason Dixon Line. Though I'd rather be in parts of Europe, Canada, MA or WA than here for sure.

I've heard good things about Gibraltar, although it uses the same fucked up school system as Britain.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This clip seems pertinent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqEcLlp_Big

Also consider Hulu's advertising model of "Choose the ad that will be the most effective."

Cheezy on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    @Atomic Ross

Where in Europe?
    There's a bit of a difference between, say, Budapest and London.

Budapest. London. Paris. Vienna. Dresden. Berlin. Dusseldorf. Prague. Brussels.

Most of the school I took was in London and Paris. My inlaws live around London and around Edinburgh.

Yes, there are differences between all those cities, but without fail every time I encountered more progressive and civilized society, I was met with higher costs. In none of those places could I live the way I live now.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well yeah I'm sure I'm could live like a sheik in Russia but then I'd feel like shit for being party to the exploitation/degradation of others.

Kagera on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Capital cities aren't exactly known for cheap cost of living either.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Capital cities aren't exactly known for cheap cost of living either.

I'd also say cost of living is often proportionate to standard of living. For example, Ross could live like a prince in Turkmenistan or a king in the south.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    @Atomic Ross

Where in Europe?

Most of the school I took was in London and Paris. My inlaws live around London and around Edinburgh.

Yes, there are differences between all those cities, but without fail every time I encountered more progressive and civilized society, I was met with higher costs. In none of those places could I live the way I live now.

So you're saying that the primary means by which you judge your standard of living is by how much of your income can be used to consume

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Well yeah I'm sure I'm could live like a sheik in Russia but then I'd feel like shit for being party to the exploitation/degradation of others.

Oh please.

Atomika on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    @Atomic Ross

Where in Europe?

So you're saying that the primary means by which you judge your standard of living is by how much of your income can be used to consume

I, for one, do not consider any housing with less than 2500 square feet and three full bathrooms a proper house.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Is there another way to judge actual living standards?

I have a nice house that cost relatively little, my education didn't put me deep into debt, I don't have to work all the time, and I want for very little.

What standards would you offer?

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Look if I can't afford a Chevy Suburban there the place is a shithole.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I have a nice house that cost relatively little, my education didn't put me deep into debt, I don't have to work all the time, and I want for very little.

Free health care.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Quality rather than quantity?

Fairness instead of convenience?

There are a numbef of ways to be fulfilled that do not involve having more.

The central message of this thread is that your desire to own things is a lifestyle that has been sold to you

Edit: i want for a lot. I'm poor. I can't find a job that pays a living wage. I had to put myself into massive debt to get a second-rate education (it was that or no education). I have no health insurance because I can't afford it and my employer refuses to provide it.

You and I, we live in vastly different Americas by sheer accident of birth.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

Free health care.

some kind of safety net, period

Rust on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    I, for one, do not consider any housing with less than 2500 square feet and three full bathrooms a proper house.

This highlights a big difference in mentality. It seems to me a very American thing to not be anybody until you own your own home instead of renting, &c &c.

Echo on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Free health care.

Low violent crime rates.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010

To frame it in the context of my wife's life before she moved here, she had eight years' experience in financial advisement, made a decent wage, but still had to have a second job just to afford the mortgage on her apartment on the outskirts of London. She didn't even own a car.

Here, she has a 2200 sq. ft. house, a new car, and brings home more than she ever did in London. Sure, some of that is a function of being married, but I already had the house before she moved in.

America just isn't all that expensive to live in. I'm not sure why so many take offense to this.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Free health care.

Eh, right now, I have good insurance because I have a good job. That may not be fair, but I still enjoy my higher standard of living despite that fact.

So, you're wrong.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Who the hell owns a car in London?

Like, might as well own a car in NYC.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah, we both used to live there when we met.

Kind of a shithole, too. We love it still, but a shithole nonetheless.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

To frame it in the context of my wife's life before she moved here, she had eight years' experience in financial advisement, made a decent wage, but still had to have a second job just to afford the mortgage on her apartment on the outskirts of London. She didn't even own a car.

Here, she has a 2200 sq. ft. house, a new car, and brings home more than she ever did in London. Sure, some of that is a function of being married, but I already had the house before she moved in.

America just isn't all that expensive to live in. I'm not sure why so many take offense to this.

So she's able to afford a house because she married a guy who owns one? I'm honestly unsure if you know what a purchase is.

Come to think of it, she also married into her citizenship. Is there anything that she hasn't married into?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Free health care.

some kind of safety net, period

This would be nice

The $200 a month in food stamps I get are nice but you have to realize that in order to qualify I basically can't afford my own damn food in the first place

That tells you a lot about how low you have to fall to get caught

On the plus side, my cable internet costs me about $5 a month

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys, fuck other people right?

Standard of living only applies to me. :D

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah, we both used to live there when we met.

Kind of a shithole, too. We love it still, but a shithole nonetheless.

As if your comments from the various movie threads weren't enough proof of your bad taste.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So she's able to afford a house because she married a guy who owns one? I'm honestly unsure if you know what a purchase is.

Come to think of it, she also married into her citizenship. Is there anything that she hasn't married into?

Her income enables us not to have to scrimp and save to be comfortable. We could theoretically afford three times the house we have, and trust me, we considered that. But we were more sensible, so we didn't go crazy.

As for the citizenship thing, hey, beats waiting in line. My Canadian friend is still waiting for hers, ten years later.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    As if your comments from the various movie threads weren't enough proof of your bad taste.

A place can offer amazing things and still be a shithole. New York is crowded, dirty, and expensive. My rent there was twice what I'm paying now for my mortgage for a fourth as much space.

Just because it has the MOMA and the Guggenheim doesn't acquit its negative aspects.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So any place with negatives is a shithole?

Great, so Dallas is a shithole too.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Average Income for U.S. Family Income Groups , 2004:
    Bottom 20% made an average of        $10,264 
    2nd 20% made 			$26,241 
    3rd 20% made 			$44,455 
    4th 20% made 			$70,085 
    Richest 20% made 		   $151,593 
    The richest 5% make	 	 $157,185 

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

A place can offer amazing things and still be a shithole. New York is crowded, dirty, and expensive. My rent there was twice what I'm paying now for my mortgage for a fourth as much space.

Just because it has the MOMA and the Guggenheim doesn't acquit its negative aspects.

You're still judging entire countries (and cities with the population of a small country) by your ability to acquire more for the same amount.

Do you hold to any values that aren't directly related to your wealth?

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

On that note I recall reading a poll somewhere that concluded that 20% of Americans think they belong to the top 5% on income. (Numbers pulled out of my ass, but it was along those lines.)

Echo on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can totally understand someone preferring the status quo here because it's a more comfortable lifestyle. What bugs me is calling not just another country, but an entire other continent a shithole because it doesn't match up to your standard of living.

Just to maintain some perspective, I think people in the middle and upper-middle classes should lower their standards considerably and not be blowing their money on the next hi-def 3d plasma televisions. Is that fascism? I guess so but I stick by it because they've only been given (no I don't think they earned it) that lifestyle through the exploitation of people across the globe and by fucking up the environment and that it isn't sustainable anyways so they'll have to make do with less eventually.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Her income enables us not to have to scrimp and save to be comfortable. We could theoretically afford three times the house we have, and trust me, we considered that. But we were more sensible, so we didn't go crazy.

As for the citizenship thing, hey, beats waiting in line. My Canadian friend is still waiting for hers, ten years later.

Haven't you also argued that the immigration system isn't too arduous, or not arduous enough? Is your entire philosophy "I got mine, Jack?"

Really, I can't any reason to want more than ownership of a floor in a triple decker or two family home, although, I'll probably end up getting more because they don't really exist in the areas with the best schools.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »

On that note I recall reading a poll somewhere that concluded that 20% of Americans think they belong to the top 5% on income. (Numbers pulled out of my ass, but it was along those lines.)

http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/middleclassoverview.html
    But if you ask the American people, you'll get yet another response. According to statistics from the National Opinion Research Center, as reported by Baker, large numbers of American define themselves as "working class" or "middle class," including:

50% of those families who earn between $20,000 and $40,000 annually
    38% of those families who earn between $40,000 and $60,000 annually
    16.8% of those families who earn over $110,000 annually

(compare these numbers to the chart of average income)

Bottom 20% made an average of        $10,264 
    2nd 20% made 			$26,241 
    3rd 20% made 			$44,455 
    4th 20% made 			$70,085 
    Richest 20% made 		   $151,593 
    The richest 5% make	 	 $157,185 

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So any place with negatives is a shithole?

Great, so Dallas is a shithole too.

Oh, for sure. But at least it's comfortable shithole.

Plus, it's clean, cheap, and has plenty of available entertainment. I also have one of the world's largest international airports 10 minutes away.

Yes, the average educational rate in Texas isn't great. Yes, the teen pregnancy rate is high. There is an unreasonably high percentage of religious fanatics. Yet none of those things pertain to the argument at hand.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    Just to maintain some perspective, I think people in the middle and upper-middle classes should lower their standards considerably and not be blowing their money on the next hi-def 3d plasma televisions. Is that fascism? I guess so but I stick by it because they've only been given (no I don't think they earned it) that lifestyle through the exploitation of people across the globe and by fucking up the environment and that it isn't sustainable anyways so they'll have to make do with less eventually.

That's not a very coherent argument, though. "People should have less despite their ability to afford it because I think they didn't earn it."

What are you, my grandfather? You going to tell me a sob story about working in a steel mill next?

Atomika on