Options

[POTUS] State of the Union 2010: You guys stand and applaud! You guys stay seated.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Palin is near the bottom of my list of "Republicans likely to make a decent run in 2012".

We got a long way to go before 2012. IN 2006 it was looking like Hillary would be 44.

But Hillary didn't have an unsuccessful VP run under her belt; and was also active in politics. Palin has a pretty well-established image as a national candidate, and it's very polarizing even within the GOP. I don't even think she'd win the primary. Plus she's currently retired from politics. Fox news may earn her some points with voters, but I'm betting it will hurt her within the party if she's up against someone with a more firm record of pushing the GOP agenda forward.

I think a retarded monkey could sit up there and sign tax cuts.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the color of the dress was good on her. But whenever she stood up, the cut of it was like "whoa, ghettobooty!" It was not a flattering dress by any measure.

Am I the only one slightly worried about this VA Gov come 2012?

McDonnell? He's unlikely to be terribly good as a national candidate. But you never know.

EDIT: Hell, Scott Brown is more likely at this rate.

True, last night he seemed to pander quite a bit to Virginia, but give him 2 years and I'm sure his staff can have him doing national level pandering.

He's young, fairly good-looking and charismatic. On Television, he seemed almost like a perfect counter to Obama.

Also, his speech smacked of the type of Republicanism that I recognize. He was not overly to the Right, he was not a complete nutjob. His speech actually made the beginnings of real arguments against the President and what the rest of us want.

Of course, he screwed up on the offshore drilling part, but that's minor.

As far as looks and potential, I would say that McDonnell is just as likely, if not more so than Palin.

At least, if anybody in the RNC knows what they're doing.

Palin is near the bottom of my list of "Republicans likely to make a decent run in 2012".

Your list, but not necessarily the RNC's.

Jindal got his shot last year at becoming a national face, and he blew it. He becamea national name, but one that was filled with mockery. So obviously trying to combat Brown with Brown just wasn't going to work this year. And the RNC, while they haven't shown a lot of restraint on being silly geese lately, is not stupid enough to put Palin in front of a microphone like that (besides, I'm not sure she cannow being an unelected official and a Pundit now...).

I know it seems a bit odd, but I don't think that McDonnell crashed and burned in his introduction to the National Stage last night. And again, the RNC is looking for Potential. Yes, Scott Brown is their darling right now and McDonnell gave him the requisite fellatio in the speech last night, but they want to keep Scott Brown where he is. In the senate. Being all number 41 and such.

Last night's rebuttal and next years as well are going to be the testing grounds for the GOP candidate in 2012. Find somebody who can not only follow Obama convincingly, but who can easily match the President on other intangible factors.

At least, that's how I see what happened last night. the RNC got their silly goose heads out of their silly goose asses for at least one night and they put on a stage show that worked.

Don't discount Jindal yet. Clinton's first national speech at the Democratic National Convention was widely mocked. People actually applauded when he said "In conclusion" because the speech was almost over. Single speeches have a habit of being forgotten. That said, anyone's greatest asset for forging forward in the GOP is the fact that such a void has been left since the Bush administration. They were all so stigmatized that no one heavily affiliated with them is likely to be able to run. As such, the GOP list for 2012 is very, very short.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

We got a long way to go before 2012. IN 2006 it was looking like Hillary would be 44.

But Hillary didn't have an unsuccessful VP run under her belt; and was also active in politics. Palin has a pretty well-established image as a national candidate, and it's very polarizing even within the GOP. I don't even think she'd win the primary. Plus she's currently retired from politics. Fox news may earn her some points with voters, but I'm betting it will hurt her within the party if she's up against someone with a more firm record of pushing the GOP agenda forward.

Is this a Bush jab? :P

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    geckahn wrote: »

You mean she isn't? http://www.hillaryis44.com/

You know the new talking point is she's going to run in 2012? Thats what the conservatives hope that Obambi gets so beat up by their party of no that she knocks him off in a primary.

hahahhaa - http://www.hillaryis45.com/

hysterical. These fucking people.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Is this a Bush jab? :P

Nah I don't think Bush was mentally delayed, he was every bit a joe american (which saddens me).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Man, we just tried that!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the color of the dress was good on her. But whenever she stood up, the cut of it was like "whoa, ghettobooty!" It was not a flattering dress by any measure.

McDonnell? He's unlikely to be terribly good as a national candidate. But you never know.

True, last night he seemed to pander quite a bit to Virginia, but give him 2 years and I'm sure his staff can have him doing national level pandering.

He's young, fairly good-looking and charismatic. On Television, he seemed almost like a perfect counter to Obama.

Also, his speech smacked of the type of Republicanism that I recognize. He was not overly to the Right, he was not a complete nutjob. His speech actually made the beginnings of real arguments against the President and what the rest of us want.

As far as looks and potential, I would say that McDonnell is just as likely, if not more so than Palin.

Jindal got his shot last year at becoming a national face, and he blew it. He becamea national name, but one that was filled with mockery. So obviously trying to combat Brown with Brown just wasn't going to work this year. And the RNC, while they haven't shown a lot of restraint on being silly geese lately, is not stupid enough to put Palin in front of a microphone like that (besides, I'm not sure she cannow being an unelected official and a Pundit now...).

I know it seems a bit odd, but I don't think that McDonnell crashed and burned in his introduction to the National Stage last night. And again, the RNC is looking for Potential. Yes, Scott Brown is their darling right now and McDonnell gave him the requisite fellatio in the speech last night, but they want to keep Scott Brown where he is. In the senate. Being all number 41 and such.

Last night's rebuttal and next years as well are going to be the testing grounds for the GOP candidate in 2012. Find somebody who can not only follow Obama convincingly, but who can easily match the President on other intangible factors.

At least, that's how I see what happened last night. the RNC got their silly goose heads out of their silly goose asses for at least one night and they put on a stage show that worked.

Don't discount Jindal yet. Clinton's first national speech at the Democratic National Convention was widely mocked. People actually applauded when he said "In conclusion" because the speech was almost over. Single speeches have a habit of being forgotten. That said, anyone's greatest asset for forging forward in the GOP is the fact that such a void has been left since the Bush administration. They were all so stigmatized that no one heavily affiliated with them is likely to be able to run. As such, the GOP list for 2012 is very, very short.

Times have changed since Clinton gave his first speech though.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What does that have to do with the GOP perception of Palin? Despite what more fringe Conservatives may shout at book rallies, a large chuck of Republicans do not like her. It hurts her chances.

Heartlash on
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    shryke wrote: »

In what way? People still have short memories.

Heartlash on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Heart it was more a shot at their "agenda". I mean the ability to push corporate tax cuts and rich person welfare is inherent in every republican. That they need someone capabale of "pushing this agenda" is laughable.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, we have youtube now.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

But National Exposure on this kind of shit is WAY bigger.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Heart it was more a shot at their "agenda". I mean the ability to push corporate tax cuts and rich person welfare is inherent in every republican. That they need someone capabale of "pushing this agenda" is laughable.

All the more reason they need an non-polarizing figure to win over independents. They need someone to wrap that flimsy sandwich in really nice paper.

Heartlash on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    At the end of McDonnells speech where he lists off the responsibilities of government...

"...where opportunity is absent, we must create it."
    "...where opportunity is limited, we must expand it."
    "...where opportunity is unequal, we must make it open to everyone."

I couldn't help but think of same-sex marriage at that point. Granted I've been following the prop 8 trial so it's been at the front of my mind. At first glance it would seem that talk like this would make him a supporter of you know, equality.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    At the end of McDonnells speech where he lists off the responsibilities of government...

"...where opportunity is absent, we must create it."
    "...where opportunity is limited, we must expand it."
    "...where opportunity is unequal, we must make it open to everyone."

I couldn't help but think of same-sex marriage at that point. Granted I've been following the prop 8 trial so it's been at the front of my mind. At first glance it would seem that talk like this would make him a supporter of you know, equality.

You have to remember the context. Specifically, that he was speaking from the same place where Jefferson Davis gave his inaugural address. :P

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

In two years, do you think you'll be able to approach a random voter on the street and say "You remember that guy who delivered the republican rebuttal to that one speech in 2009?" And they will know what you're talking about? Exposure works both ways. Jindal will have plenty of opportunities to redeem himself.

Heartlash on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah add "For Rich white straight males" to each.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010

In two years, do you think you'll be able to approach a random voter on the street and say "You remember that guy who delivered the republican rebuttal to that one speech in 2009?" And they will know what you're talking about? Exposure works both ways. Jindal will have plenty of opportunities to redeem himself.

Yeah and the democrats wouldn't dare bring up old footage talking about how he made fun of earth quake monitoring like a week before a major earthquake in alaska...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    IMO Jindal just isn't that good as a candidate. Like Michael Steele, he was chosen because he's not white, not because he's charismatic or anything. He may run in the primary, but I doubt he'll be a major player.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

But in two years time, Mcdonnell (who is no less a darling of the GOP than Brown, he got them 'back' Virginia), could easily be in the forefront too.

He's a governor (executive experience)
    From Virginia (southern Strategy)
    Young family (kinda, twin boys are 18)
    Ties to the military (Daughter served in Iraq, might have been better had she been injured)
    Handome (well in some circles)
    Charismatic (like that brown guy)
    And he can put on a good stage show

The argument you've made against it being Palin, her being a polarizing figure, doesn't really sit with this guy. He's not that polarizing, if his policies and beliefs are anything like what he said last night. He's middle of the road Republican. He actually, save for the scriptures and bits like that, sounded reasonable

I'm just saying, the man deserves some watching in the coming years, at least if the RNC isn't full of silly geese.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Plus he dosnt really have the extreme right appeal that the tea baggers want. But then again i think they just would vote republican anyway.

You know... we really need a democrat blogger in the senate, but not some shill, someone who actually blogs him/herself and tells about all the crazy workings behind the scenes. A running tell all.

Such a blogger would probably be shut out immediately of course, oh well.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If the party in 2012 is structured like it is now it'll be very difficult for any candidate NOT to be a polarizing figure. They'll have to play to the tea partiers, who are hard to please - so hard to please that anyone that wins them over may go on to alienate moderates and independents.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If the party in 2012 is structured like it is now it'll be very difficult for any candidate NOT to be a polarizing figure. They'll have to play to the tea partiers, who are hard to please - so hard to please that anyone that wins them over may go on to alienate moderates and independents.

Oh, if wishing made it so.

I really don't see a non-polarizing figure coming forward, that being said, for moderate republicans, McDonnell or Brown will do. Palin has to be put up for the fringe, but this is not really the place tobe talking about it and I'm really guilty of this whole tangent.

Ooops.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Virginia. Really, people need to stop putting Virginia forward as some all-holy Instant Presidency state. Who was the last predominantly Virginian President? John Tyler or something?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    Virginia. Really, people need to stop putting Virginia forward as some all-holy Instant Presidency state. Who was the last predominantly Virginian President? John Tyler or something?
    Jefferson Davis.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Jefferson Davis.

Oh Thanatos.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yep.

By the way, I'm shocked that the media has reduced it to a silly argument about decorum. Just like the last address to Congress. (Ratings) Gold, Jerry, gold! Funny how the President predicted and mocked that in his speech. Idiots.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

There have been like 8, but yeah, that sounds about right.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Remember that Virginia used to be much larger.

jothki on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Jefferson Davis.
    Oh Thanatos.
    You know you love me.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    Remember that Virginia used to be much larger.

And dominated the early Democratic (-Republican) Party, as opposed to the Massachusetts dominated Federalists (and the early Whigs).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So you know how republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility? They hate overzealous spending and want to reign it in whenever possible. Surely they thought Obama's suggestion to reinstate pay-as-you-go was a great idea, right?

Yeah, not so much.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God dammit, that is so fucking pathetic.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So you know how republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility? They hate overzealous spending and want to reign it in whenever possible. Surely they thought Obama's suggestion to reinstate pay-as-you-go was a great idea, right?

Yeah, not so much.

You have to understand that if democrats balance the budget then democrats can take credit for balancing the budget, like the last time they balanced the budget. This must be prevented at all costs.

When does this take effect? I couldn't tell from the link.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They're going to run themselves into a lot of stupid, stupid votes because they can't take the damn blinders off.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They're going to run themselves into a lot of stupid, stupid votes because they can't take the damn blinders off.
    And they're also going to block or try to block alot of good legislation for spite. =(

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    And they're also going to block or try to block alot of good legislation for spite. =(

cynical me says: and the american public is too stupid to get that that's what's going on and they will buy whatever they are told by soundbites and 10 words.

Hopium me says: And the voters will see straight through it to the truth and the elections will go smoothly and we will come back in november with a 63 vote lead in the senate and they can suck it.

or something like that.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To be honest, it doesn't matter if the Dems get back to 60 (or 61 or 62 or whatever) because of so many DINOs.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

cynical me says: and the american public is too stupid to get that that's what's going on and they will buy whatever they are told by soundbites and 10 words.

Hopium me says: And the voters will see straight through it to the truth and the elections will go smoothly and we will come back in november with a 63 vote lead in the senate and they can suck it.

or something like that.

The people won't judge the Republicans for obstructionism because they won't know about it. The latest Pew poll says that only 32% of those surveyed know that 0 Republican Senators voted for the HC bill. 8% believe that 20 Republican Senators voted in favor of the bill. The HC bill is the largest political story since President Obama was elected, and if only 32% of people know how many Republicans voted for that, I wouldn't hold out much hope for important but unsexy procedural stuff like pay-as-you-go.

big l on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Obama has now shown that he's willing to call out Republicans for silly goosery in public at least. If they continue to vote against the fiscal responsibility they claim to champion, he may be able to make it stick against them.

Yougottawanna on