As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout 3] Wubba harrrrglb? JAMBAAGLR

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    newvegas-1.jpg

Everything about this image makes me smile ear to ear.

I just hope they fucking rip out their godforsaken level scaling and give it the burial it deserves. If I can kill BoS soldiers at level 3 again I'll be annoyed.

Suriko on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Since it's not a bethesda dev team (I think? I'm not 100% here) I doubt very much they will have the oblivion-esque scaling.

L|ama on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The game mechanics will probably all be the same as Fallout 3.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    Since it's not a bethesda dev team (I think? I'm not 100% here) I doubt very much they will have the oblivion-esque scaling.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas
    Fallout: New Vegas is an upcoming role-playing video game developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Bethesda Softworks.

Well I'll be.

Excitement just shot way the fuck up.

Suriko on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thankfully I think Bethesda will be the last people to force a game out the door.

If they did that we'd have a LOT more elder scrolls games.

Maticore on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177818

They're slating it for a Fall release looks like

+ teaser in the link!
    oh shits NCR duder!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i'm hyped for Fallout Vegas. Trouble is, I will probably do what I did for 3, maybe play the main quest for Vegas by renting the game, then go on media blackout for a while after I've play it and let the 5 expansions come out, wait, buy game of the year. I learned my lesson with Oblivion and Morrowind, the games just run better from the same disc IMHO than the piecemeal DLC.
    So yeah.

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Obsidian, eh?

That's awesome.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wow fall this year? really?

..please dont be full of bugs Obsidian please, just this once.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

A non-buggy Fallout game?

Well that just wouldn't be right.

Suriko on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

You make it sound like Bethesda games are bug free.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I remember playing Fallout 3 just when it came out, and I was running a min-max run where I've wanted everything basicly, and half the population of Megaton just died on their own. :x What the hell !

But Bethesda fixed it... A month and a half later.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i'm hyped for Fallout Vegas. Trouble is, I will probably do what I did for 3, maybe play the main quest for Vegas by renting the game, then go on media blackout for a while after I've play it and let the 5 expansions come out, wait, buy game of the year. I learned my lesson with Oblivion and Morrowind, the games just run better from the same disc IMHO than the piecemeal DLC.
    So yeah.

I'm probably just being a debbie downer but I played through Point Lookout and wasn't really impressed. It took me one decent night to clear it out. Next up is Broken Steel which I have higher hopes for though so we'll see.

Is the other pair of expansions worth it? The Pitt looks interesting at least but so far the best "expansion" experience I've come across in FO3 is the mod that reduces weapon degredation and the one that adds up to 100 new tracks to GNR :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Okay so my subscriber copy of PC Gamer UK arrived, and they have an eight-page article on New Vegas. Salient points:

- First-person action RPG with the same engine as Fallout 3 (sorry, Van Buren fans).
    - Set in the Mojave wastelands. Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
    - You don't play a Vault Dweller (or descendant of one) but a courier, left for dead and saved by a friendly robot.
    - The overarching story is a struggle between the locals, Caesar's Legion (a faction of slavers from the east) and the New Californian Republic.
    - Both karma and reputation are tracked. If I'm reading it right there's separate reputations for each of the settlements, as in 1 and 2.
    - All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.
    - Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
    - VATS returns, and melee weapons have special moves in it. The golf club has "Fore!", which is a shot to the golf balls (so to speak) that knocks the opponent down. Weapons also now have knock-back upon death, with shotguns sending mans flying.
    - Super Mutants return, but in two varieties - the smarter ones from Fallout 1, and the idiot ones from Fallout 2. On at least one occasion you can convince them to fight amongst themselves.
    - New weapons include what appears to be an M4 and a grenade machinegun.
    - Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".
    - Hardcore Mode! In this mode, Stimpacks heal over time (as opposed to instantly), combat is tougher, ammo has weight and you can suffer dehydration, so keep some water on you!

One of the screenshots has a Super Mutant with a blonde wig and pink heart-shaped glasses.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    If you're not a vault dweller and the buildings are intact, doesn't seem very Fallouty or post-apocaypty

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Good.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you're not a vault dweller and the buildings are intact, doesn't seem very Fallouty or post-apocaypty

I said more, not all.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This however

"VATS returns, and melee weapons have special moves in it. The golf club has "Fore!", which is a shot to the golf balls (so to speak) that knocks the opponent down. Weapons also now have knock-back upon death, with shotguns sending mans flying."

is pure Fallout.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

oh youve never played an Obsidian game have you.

that was the joke.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    One of the screenshots has a Super Mutant with a blonde wig and pink heart-shaped glasses.

Sold!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That sounds wonderful. Some of those changes I wish would be backwards-patched into Fallout 3. Hardcore mode especially!

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    - Hardcore Mode! In this mode, Stimpacks heal over time (as opposed to instantly), combat is tougher, ammo has weight and you can suffer dehydration, so keep some water on you!

oh my, this as been the best news i've heard all day, it had better be available from the start, you hear me obsidian? not an unlock after beating the game once.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Eh, that's the sort of thing that Fallout has had mods for the entire time.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    nma still dont like it.

lol.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

it was originally going to be default in fo2 but they cut the water thing, its only a mod for fo3 and it didnt come out straight away and was buggy as fuck so.. yay at this.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

This is so pleasing. Bethsoft endlessly talked up FO3 from a "survivalism" aspect like drinking water from toilets etc but it amounted to jack shit. I am going to love the shit out of this mode but for the love of god, MAKE IT AVAILABLE FROM THE START.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

If those points from PC Gamer are correct, then that might be the overall vibe of the whole thing. It'll basically be a giant cohesive mod for F3, made by Obsidian. Not altogether a bad thing, mind you.. But it'd be nice to have at least a few more innovative, non-incremental gameplay mechanics added. But who knows, maybe those are just the things the marketing dept. decided to divulge, and there are some neat things in the works.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Atheraal wrote: »

If those points from PC Gamer are correct, then that might be the overall vibe of the whole thing. It'll basically be a giant cohesive mod for F3, made by Obsidian. Not altogether a bad thing, mind you.. But it'd be nice to have at least a few more innovative, non-incremental gameplay mechanics added. But who knows, maybe those are just the things the marketing dept. decided to divulge, and there are some neat things in the works.

Bah, who gives a shit about gameplay elements? I can mod those in. Obsidian writes interesting stories with interesting characters and interesting choices, and you can't mod that in.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So yeah.

I'm probably just being a debbie downer but I played through Point Lookout and wasn't really impressed. It took me one decent night to clear it out. Next up is Broken Steel which I have higher hopes for though so we'll see.

Is the other pair of expansions worth it? The Pitt looks interesting at least but so far the best "expansion" experience I've come across in FO3 is the mod that reduces weapon degredation and the one that adds up to 100 new tracks to GNR :P

You're definitely a very silly goose, because PL was great.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Okay so my subscriber copy of PC Gamer UK arrived, and they have an eight-page article on New Vegas. Salient points:

- First-person action RPG with the same engine as Fallout 3 (sorry, Van Buren fans).
    - Set in the Mojave wastelands. Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
    - You don't play a Vault Dweller (or descendant of one) but a courier, left for dead and saved by a friendly robot.
    - The overarching story is a struggle between the locals, Caesar's Legion (a faction of slavers from the east) and the New Californian Republic.
    - Both karma and reputation are tracked. If I'm reading it right there's separate reputations for each of the settlements, as in 1 and 2.
    - All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.
    - Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
    - VATS returns, and melee weapons have special moves in it. The golf club has "Fore!", which is a shot to the golf balls (so to speak) that knocks the opponent down. Weapons also now have knock-back upon death, with shotguns sending mans flying.
    - Super Mutants return, but in two varieties - the smarter ones from Fallout 1, and the idiot ones from Fallout 2. On at least one occasion you can convince them to fight amongst themselves.
    - New weapons include what appears to be an M4 and a grenade machinegun.
    - Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".

YOU CAN NOT POST THIS WITHOUT GIVING US SCANS

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Great, now I HAVE to finish Fallout 3 and the expansions ASAP. Time to find the dad and everything else and then do the expansions.

OR just get Fallout Vegas for the 360 and play that.

Quick question - are weapons schematics; buying them from traders - Yay/Nay? I have more than enough bottlecaps and wouldn't mind if the weapon was worth it.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

Quick question - are weapons schematics; buying them from traders - Yay/Nay? I have more than enough bottlecaps and wouldn't mind if the weapon was worth it.

Most of the schematics are great. So yes, go for it. :P

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Most of the schematics are great. So yes, go for it. :P

Yes, get every schematic you can.

Though if you just don't care at the very least get all the shishkebab and nuka grenade schematics as they're by far the most useful.

The more schematics you have the higher durability weapons start at, and grenades/mines give extra per create...i.e. if you have all 3 grenade schematics you'll create 3 grenades for every quantum you use.

Which is really nice.

And having a 125% starting durability for the Shishkebab is good because melee seem to burn through that faster than anything.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2010
    OR just get Fallout Vegas for the 360 and play that.
    It's probably a biiiig mistake to get it on a platform without mods.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Woops, my bad:

newvegas001resized.jpg

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    there is a ton more info at nma, apparently
    3 different types of super mutants, the ones from fo1/2 smart/stupid and the fo3 ones, there is a leader with a 50's style hairdo too

and the dialogue thing seems noone knows, one part says skills do matter on dialogue and the other one says they are open to all players..

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Woops, my bad:

newvegas001resized.jpg

wow.. it ..really does look like a mod. D:

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thats pretty incredible right there.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wow.. it ..really does look like a mod. D:

Well I did say it was the same engine didn't I? But yes it does look damn near identical in the shots. Same faces and stuff. But hey at least there's Geckos.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    there is a ton more info at nma, apparently
    3 different types of super mutants, the ones from fo1/2 smart/stupid and the fo3 ones, there is a leader with a 50's style hairdo too

and the dialogue thing seems noone knows, one part says skills do matter on dialogue and the other one says they are open to all players..

For the latter I think it was saying that all players could see all dialogue options (think, greyed out choices in ME), so you'd know what options there were there, but skill matters to being able to choose them.

That's how I read it at least.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand