Options

Mass Effect 1&2 - RELEASING CONTROL OF THIS FORM

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    people don't have excel anymore?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    On Thane's Loyalty Quest:
    I actually liked that on my second time through it, I basically failed the interrogation. The guy's lawyer showed up so I pulled a gun on him saying "I could kill everyone here and walk away without a scratch." Then Thane says "Laws only work when everyone agrees to abide by them." Gave me a chill.

I will say, for the third game, I want to be able to help the Quarians retake their homeworld.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    eh, why?

ed: I mean, why not just link the spreadsheet?

Because the information is not clear unless you have one specific program for it, that's not exactly in common use.

Well, I found the mineral list anyway:

To obtain all the upgrades as a non-engineer (Engineer passive ability lowers
    required research material amounts), you will require:

EEZO: 42,500
    Iridium: 215,000
    Platinum: 275,000 (Includes 50,000 for Med Bay upgrade.)
    Palladium: 195,000

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    This has probably been covered before, but how's the DRM on part 2? Does it have the limited installs and online activation nonsense of the first one?
    Since these things deterred me from buying part 1, this is relevant.

It's relevant, and they listened to fan feedback on that. Mass Effect 2 only has a simple disc check for the store bought version and doesn't require online authentication.

They encourage you to register it online however, by putting out free DLC online via the "cerberus network". In your game box you'll have a code with which you can redeem this stuff. It includes an additional character (complete with loyalty quest), and another short quest where you visit the Normandy crash site and place a memorial.

There's also a couple of new items that just came out for free on the Cerberus network (armour and a weapon).

All in all, I think it's a pretty good system. You still get the full game otherwise, no install limits, but you get bonus stuff for registering.

subedii on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "Ah yes, reapers."

That was good for a chuckle. I sort of wish I didn't let them die now.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    This has probably been covered before, but how's the DRM on part 2? Does it have the limited installs and online activation nonsense of the first one?
    Since these things deterred me from buying part 1, this is relevant.

It's relevant, and they listened to fan feedback on that. Mass Effect 2 only has a simple disc check for the store bought version.

They encourage you to register it online however, by putting out free DLC online via the "cerberus network". In your game box you'll have a code with which you can redeem this stuff. It includes an additional character (complete with loyalty quest), and another short quest where you visit the Normandy crash site and place a memorial.

There's also a couple of new items that just came out for free on the Cerberus network (armour and a weapon).

All in all, I think it's a pretty good system. You still get the full game otherwise, no install limits, but you get bonus stuff for registering.
    Positive approach? That's a huge improvement.
    I'll have to pick this up somepoint.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    The Collector General definately has a go at the controls after being released by Harbinger. Not for very long, but maybe enough to transmit to the Normandy.
    I disagree that is what he is doing. He is probably shutting down the communications link to Harbinger on their end, not transmitting anything.

This is really far fetched.
    Why would he shut down the communications link? The place is about to get blown up.
    Who knows why, he could have been turning off the machine for any number of reasons. It is far more likely he is simply dong that than transmitting to the normandy, which is truly far fetched on this evidence. Especially because Harbinger says before he plays with the console that he is severing his link with the collectors at the time.
    That makes it more likely. The collectors are all controlled through implants, and in ME1 Saren had free will until Sovereign used his implants to override it.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Collector General definately has a go at the controls after being released by Harbinger. Not for very long, but maybe enough to transmit to the Normandy.
    I disagree that is what he is doing. He is probably shutting down the communications link to Harbinger on their end, not transmitting anything.

Why would he shut down the communications link? The place is about to get blown up.
    Who knows why, he could have been turning off the machine for any number of reasons. It is far more likely he is simply dong that than transmitting to the normandy, which is truly far fetched on this evidence. Especially because Harbinger says before he plays with the console that he is severing his link with the collectors at the time.
    Harbinger severing the link is what gives the General a few seconds of free will, that's what I'm talking about. Is there any reason why this is so far fetched besides that you said it again? I know there's other reasonable ways for Joker to get the data and introduced this as speculation, but there's nothing so crazy going on here to rule it out.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    "Relinquish your weapons!"

"I'll relinquish one bullet. Where do you want it?"

*fires up new game to go full cock-and-balls renegade*

Teth on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Harbinger severing the link is what gives the General a few seconds of free will, that's what I'm talking about. Is there any reason why this is so far fetched besides that you said it again? I know there's other reasonable ways for Joker to get the data and introduced this as speculation, but there's nothing so crazy going on here to rule it out.

the biggest thing to me is that in a game with direction this good, it would surprise me if they went out of their way to show us that moment without it meaning something. Could be that we won't find out what it meant until the next game, but still.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I didn't think the Collector general was anything special, I think he was just whichever Collector Harbinger decided to dump himself into to control the rest of them. Hence him just slumping over at the end - no personality, no real cognizance. Just another husk of a dead species.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Don't you have to be online connected to the service every time you want to play a savegame that uses Cerberus content? The reason I didn't register shit as I experienced the same thing with Dragon Age.

Bit more restrictive than merely registering online.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I didn't think the Collector general was anything special, I think he was just whichever Collector Harbinger decided to dump himself into to control the rest of them. Hence him just slumping over at the end - no personality, no real cognizance. Just another husk of a dead species.
    He has a visibly different form.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    eh, why?

Because the information is not clear unless you have one specific program for it, that's not exactly in common use.

openoffice.org

Anybody can open excel spreadsheets for free. It's not limited to one program. Also, excel spreadsheets are most certainly in common use, pretty much anywhere that conducts any business of any type.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can someone host this?

http://www.mediafire.com/?0rjzymdy22d
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    eh, why?

openoffice.org

Anybody can open excel spreadsheets for free. It's not limited to one program.

Like I said - not happening.

I am fully aware of what you can use to open an .xls file with, and you can even do it online without a program.

Thanks for the information though.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

FemShep pulls of the Renegade voice so much better.

No way. I just did the Krogan sushi mission last night with my female character, and instead of the hilarious delivery of the male version, you get some sigh of resignation that's not really funny at all. Ditto with the "this store discriminates against the poor" line.

You might say that Mark Meer doesn't have as much emotional range, but there's a lot of personality to his voice nonetheless. He sounds so non-plussed by everything, and his delivery is always slightly awkward, but I feel it definitely gives the character a variety of recognizable and charming mannerisms, which simply aren't present in the female dialogue.

In contrast, I've been utterly bored by my renegade female Shepard so far. Jennifer Hale is a one of the best voice actresses out there, but I just don't find her interpretation of Shepard to be all that interesting.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Harbinger severing the link is what gives the General a few seconds of free will, that's what I'm talking about.
    So are you claiming he had free will before Harbinger made the connection? What evidence from the first cutscene is there to suggest this?
    Is there any reason why this is so far fetched besides that you said it again?
    It does not show him sending any data to the normandy, we already know EDI can hack systems so that is much more likely than the general sending it (of which there is no precedent in the game for him acting on his own in this way, except the rather comical "oh shit I'm doomed" look he gives at the end).

This is just amazing reaching.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alegis wrote: »

Don't you have to be online connected to the service every time you want to play a savegame that uses Cerberus content? The reason I didn't register shit as I experienced the same thing with Dragon Age.

Not to sidetrack too much, but I know I played Dragon Age on my laptop at my grandmother's house with Shale, and she doesn't have internet. I didn't have any problems.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

No. You log in to download stuff but after that you have it offline as well.

Playing offline means you miss out on the neat little Cerberus News updates in the main menu but that's it.

That's how it works on xbox anyway, I assume PC is the same

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can someone host this?

eh, why?

openoffice.org

I am fully aware of what you can use to open an .xls file with, and you can even do it online without a program.

:rotate:

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    In contrast, I've been utterly bored by my renegade female Shepard so far. Jennifer Hale is a one of the best voice actresses out there, but I just don't find her interpretation of Shepard to be all that interesting.

I think on the whole Jennifer Hale has way better paragon dialogue.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Couldn't say, haven't been offline with it so far. Can anyone else comment on this?

And I think Xagarath was mainly worried about install limits and having to be online to be able to install and play the game at all, which was the issue with the DRM in the first one.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can someone host this?

eh, why?

openoffice.org

:rotate:

I don't see what the problem with putting a spreadsheet in the OP is.
    Subedii wrote:
    And I think Xagarath was mainly worried about install limits and having to be able to install and play the game at all, which was the issue with the DRM in the first one.

They removed the "calling home" nonsense didn't they?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »

I think on the whole Jennifer Hale has way better paragon dialogue.

Wait, really? When I played as Hale in Mass Effect I thought she always sounded a bit more renegade inclined.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, that's also part of my problem with her. The times I've chosen paragon responses in my current playthrough, she still kind of sounds like a renegade bitch.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have a Paragon Male and a Renegade Female. I've always felt that the respective voice actors suited paragon/renegade better oddly, so this set up works well for me.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can't you just open it with google docs anyway?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Subedii wrote:
    And I think Xagarath was mainly worried about install limits and having to be able to install and play the game at all, which was the issue with the DRM in the first one.

In ME2 yes. I thought the install limits and needing online to install are still there in ME1 aren't they? I don't remember it being patched out.

subedii on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've only ever played femshep with the default look. Used to it now, any other way and it wouldn't be the same.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I solved the problem, it's in the OP.

If anyone wants to solve it further, host the HTML file directly, give me the link, I'll replace it.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Subedii wrote:

In ME2 yes. I thought the install limits and needing online to install are still there in ME1 aren't they? I don't remember it being patched out.

IIRC, those weren't the things that incensed people it was the game wanting to call a server to authenticate on the internet or stop itself from working that got to people. I know they removed that in the end (thank god).

I don't know what protection ME2 has (if any).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aside from having read the book for the ME series, I'm starting to read some wiki stuff about races and might jump to any sort of historical reference stuff. Still haven't played the games. I'm wondering if knowing this stuff prior to actually playing will help me appreciate the story more, even the finer details.

I like Turian social structure, it sounds super ideal as far as real life goes. Individuals taking responsibility and shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm too used to femshep, I confess.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm wondering if knowing this stuff prior to actually playing will help me appreciate the story more, even the finer details.

It will.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Subedii wrote:

IIRC, those weren't the things that incensed people it was the game wanting to call a server to authenticate on the internet or stop itself from working that got to people. I know they removed that in the end (thank god).

I don't know what protection ME2 has (if any).

SecuROM disc check. Doesn't phone home. You can register with the cerberus network for extra stuff.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So are you claiming he had free will before Harbinger made the connection? What evidence from the first cutscene is there to suggest this?
    Is there any reason why this is so far fetched besides that you said it again?
    It does not show him sending any data to the normandy, we already know EDI can hack systems so that is much more likely than the general sending it (of which there is no precedent in the game for him acting on his own in this way, except the rather comical "oh shit I'm doomed" look he gives at the end).

This is just amazing reaching.
    The General was never not under Harbinger's control, he had glowy eyes in the first cutscene he appeared. Seems to be that the collectors did their minor collecting business before Sovereign died, then Harbinger took control and made them abduct humans in mass. The few seconds at the end are the only time we see an uncontrolled General, who you admit did something or other but probably not send data to the Normandy.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If anyone wants to solve it further, host the HTML file directly, give me the link, I'll replace it.

it is the height of silly goosery to solicit hosting for an .html file eight times as large as the .xls because (supposedly) there are two people who there who in 2010 haven't figured out how to open a spreadsheet

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do know that the disc swapping necessity is very hypocritical of BioWare because we aren't allowed to get comfy playing their game that they were so LAZY about making in the first place.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

it is the height of silly goosery to solicit hosting for an .html file eight times as large as the .xls because (supposedly) there are two people who there who in 2010 haven't figured out how to open a spreadsheet

Having an opinion is cool. I don't know what else to say.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm wondering if knowing this stuff prior to actually playing will help me appreciate the story more, even the finer details.

It will.

Eh, I haven't done any background reading, I don't even read the codex. The information's there if you need it but they do a really good job of putting all the important information in the game itself.

subedii on
This discussion has been closed.