As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 1&2 - RELEASING CONTROL OF THIS FORM

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't like Anderson enough to want to play as him for an entire game, but that's just because he was kind of a pointless addition to ME2.
    after beating the game I went back to talk to him, and everyone else in the game had different dialogue except for him. It was a little lazy on the devs in my opinion

Anderson is the reason I'd never play a female shep, too worried he'd make me sleep with him for heroin.

"I know its pretty baby but I didn't take it out to get some air."

What?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    I don't like Anderson enough to want to play as him for an entire game, but that's just because he was kind of a pointless addition to ME2.
    after beating the game I went back to talk to him, and everyone else in the game had different dialogue except for him. It was a little lazy on the devs in my opinion

Anderson is the reason I'd never play a female shep, too worried he'd make me sleep with him for heroin.

What?

Ass to ass. That's what.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    that's exactly what I thought, especially when it used laser eyes. I dunno, it just seems like one giant robot made out of a few hundred thousand humans isn't exactly a big threat. I'm guessing the Normandy alone could have destroyed that thing. Hell, I did it with a sniper rifle.

Well that was unfinished, they still had a way to go. I figure they were constructing the base and were planning on capturing you and shoving you into it (as you have been their greatest enemy).

They refer to "it" as an Embryo. Of course a Sniper Rifle could take it down. They only used 10k or so Humans so far, and they were thinking it could take hundreds of thousands, if not millions more to complete it.

The final guy I assume would have been a better killer then Sovereign

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I actually hated that movie, but I'm still glad I watched it so I can make the proper references.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Replace 'baby' with 'dumpling' and Anderson would be Crassius Curio in Space.

Havelock on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »
    PaperPritt wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »
    gjaustin wrote: »
    PaperPritt wrote: »
    Seriously i think every squadmate is but guaranteed to have a fan following for ever and ever. Except maybe for Jacob, who is probably the most "generic" of the NPCs you can interact with.

PS: Do want a spin-off with Tali as the main character. Please ? Pretty please?

This brings up an interesting question for Mass Effect games outside of the trilogy.

How are they going to handle everyone's various choices in the trilogy?

They'll have to do one of three things

1) Completely avoid anything in the trilogy that can go either way (so goodbye Council, Rachi, Krogan, Geth)

2) Let you import a save from Mass Effect 3. If they do this, hopefully they'll add a way to upload your Mass Effect world state to their website.

3) Come up with some default options.

They could always just set it before the trilogy.

Maybe have a spinoff set during the First Contact War.

Prequel is exactly what I was thinking. It would give them a lot of time to deal with the "what do we do for the future and all these save states?"

Anderson when he was in N7 would be cool. You could even have the mission that Saren fucked up for him when he was on the track to being a Spectre as a playable level.

Let's push that a little further shall we ? Nihlus as a PC for a prequel booyaaaaaaah.

First Contact War sounds pretty sweet at first, but it would be purely military, moving from one mission to the next with no real room for side missions and exploration...

It wouldn't be to hard for them to do a "50 years after the events of the ME trilogy" type of thing... Only I want laser guns this time darn it!! :P

Even 50 years later causes serious problems.

Legion, Tali, Grunt loyalty spoilers
    Does Wrex succeed in uniting the Krogan clans or is he dead?
    Do the Geth Heretics win, rejoin the Geth, or get wiped out?
    Does Tali become an Admiral and help the Quarians regain their homeworld or just die/get exiled?

Admittedly most of those could be fixed by having anything and everything you touch fail horribly (e.g. If Wrex survives ME1, he gets murdered after ME3). And that's not even getting into the big choices like whether Humans take over the council, the status of the Rachni, or the endgame decisions in ME2.

Here are some more ideas:

Play as one of the first human C-Sec officers. Set on the Citedal, pre-ME1, post-Contact War.
    Be a Corsair. Set in Alliance space, pre-ME1, post-Contact War.
    You're a criminal/fugitive/whatever. Set on Omega, pre-ME1, post-Contact War.
    You're on Elysium, fighting during the Skyllian Blitz. Set in the Skyllian Verge, pre-ME1, post-Contact War.

Honestly, Omega is ripe for some light GTA-style game.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not JUST that mission. You'd have Anderson's career as a soldier leading up to that point too.

It may just be me, but I hate prequels. Especially when you know where a story goes, ME is all about your choices changing the world, doing a story that was partially the backbone of the original would be mega constrictive.

I think Anderson is far enough back where you could really have a lot of choices and options that would affect the canon and backstory of the world without having to worry about it mucking up the other games. As the first N7 graduate and a celebrated hero during the First Contact War, you could have a lot of options that are very relevant to that time period without really bleeding over into the core Mass Effect series. This has the benefit of being because the conflicts are on a MUCH smaller scale.

It's not like Anderson would make any Mass Effect level decisions like the Rachni or anything.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Finally got to do Jack's loyalty mission. That wasn't bad. Fun. Had to reload to get the Paragon points.

EDIT

And no one said that any gaiden/sidequel games ahd to be RPGs.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Regarding the Geth Pulse Rifle, can I still get it playing on Normal but switching the difficulty to Hardcore before starting the mission?

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Not JUST that mission. You'd have Anderson's career as a soldier leading up to that point too.

It may just be me, but I hate prequels. Especially when you know where a story goes, ME is all about your choices changing the world, doing a story that was partially the backbone of the original would be mega constrictive.

I think Anderson is far enough back where you could really have a lot of choices and options that would affect the canon and backstory of the world without having to worry about it mucking up the other games. As the first N7 graduate and a celebrated hero during the First Contact War, you could have a lot of options that are very relevant to that time period without really bleeding over into the core Mass Effect series. This has the benefit of being because the conflicts are on a MUCH smaller scale.

It's not like Anderson would make any Mass Effect level decisions like the Rachni or anything.

I dunno I'd hate for the next me game to take it to a smaller scale, I like the scale of my decisions. I want that to continue and a prequel is severely limiting in that regard.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whatever it's going to be, I'm sure they have a handle on it.

The books are all side stories with very little bleeding into the game, and they're very entertaining themselves.

You could make a game just out of the first book, where you play as Anderson, and that would be pretty fun.

Add the megalomania to x100, and you've got an ME game.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haven't had this much fun exploring space since Star Control 2. Now if only you could send a rover to each planet and have alien warships patrolling their terrain...

Also anyone else think "Normal" difficulty in ME2 is a lot easier than ME1? Or maybe I just need to play on hard; I've only died maybe twice.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can't see ME3 being released in a year. It's a heck of a lot of content to generate and it doesn't give them much time to learn from their experiences and player/critical reception of the second game.

I suspect a spinoff or major expansion instead. I'd love a large, $20-$30 expansion that acts as an ME2.5 or something. It would be basically a new adventure after the events of ME2, with new weapons, powers, and squadmates. If Bioware did that, they could work in small tweaks the ME2's formula to "test the waters" for bigger changes in ME3. While I would by ME3 for $60 even if it used the exact same mechanics and formula as ME2, I'd hope Bioware would take time to tweak the gameplay to perfection and take a few more risks.
    CyborgZeta wrote: »
    Regarding the Geth Pulse Rifle, can I still get it playing on Normal but switching the difficulty to Hardcore before starting the mission?
    Yep. I've been switching between casual and veteran for most of my adept playthrough (wanted some mindless fun after my insanity vanguard), and I got the geth rifle just fine by switching to hardcore before Haestrom.

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Where do you get it? Only weapons I have upgrades for are like... one rifle, the second SMG, and the second pistol.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sploozoo wrote: »
    Haven't had this much fun exploring space since Star Control 2. Now if only you could send a rover to each planet and have alien warships patrolling their terrain...

Also anyone else think "Normal" difficulty in ME2 is a lot easier than ME1? Or maybe I just need to play on hard; I've only died maybe twice.

I think the removal of gear makes it easier to just fight, since your shields and health are more tied into leveling and skill selection.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I dunno I'd hate for the next me game to take it to a smaller scale, I like the scale of my decisions. I want that to continue and a prequel is severely limiting in that regard.

I would hate for a sequel to be on the exact same scale anyways. I would hate for this game to get Jack Bauer syndrome. "You thought LAST season was serious? OH SHIT SON wait till you see this season!"

Sometimes a game can be about people in a world that do things that the whole galaxy doesn't hinge on.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I would hate for a sequel to be on the exact same scale anyways. I would hate for this game to get Jack Bauer syndrome. "You thought LAST season was serious? OH SHIT SON wait till you see this season!"

Sometimes a game can be about people in a world that do things that the whole galaxy doesn't hinge on.

Look as long as Shepard rips a dudes throat out with his teeth and then takes a knife stabbed into him and throws into someone elses throat... I can deal with escalation!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

Where do you get it? Only weapons I have upgrades for are like... one rifle, the second SMG, and the second pistol.
    You find it in the final room where you meet Tali, but it only appears on hardcore and insanity. Just switch to hardcore before you start the mission and it'll be there.

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Look as long as Shepard rips a dudes throat out with his teeth and then takes a knife stabbed into him and throws into someone elses throat... I can deal with escalation!

Too bad it's not going to be about Shepard.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Arteen wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »

You find it in the final room where you meet Tali, but it only appears on hardcore and insanity. Just switch to hardcore before you start the mission and it'll be there.

I've already gotten Tali.

:(

Is there a guide to the locations of all of the weapon upgrades?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Arteen wrote: »
    I can't see ME3 being released in a year. It's a heck of a lot of content to generate and it doesn't give them much time to learn from their experiences and player/critical reception of the second game.

I suspect a spinoff or major expansion instead. I'd love a large, $20-$30 expansion that acts as an ME2.5 or something. It would be basically a new adventure after the events of ME2, with new weapons, powers, and squadmates. If Bioware did that, they could work in small tweaks the ME2's formula to "test the waters" for bigger changes in ME3. While I would by ME3 for $60 even if it used the exact same mechanics and formula as ME2, I'd hope Bioware would take time to tweak the gameplay to perfection and take a few more risks.

Given that Dragon Age has a pretty major expansion coming out soon, I'd be inclined to agree that Bioware has something similar planned for ME2. It does sort of explain why you're able to wander around the Galaxy after you've beaten the game.

Havelock on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know what would be great DLC? A second set of loyalty missons, one every so often. Gotta love character development.

And my friend pointed out that very little information is given out about Shepard. In ME1 you had background missons, but unless I missed them there wern't any in Me2. I know it's 'your' Shepard but that doesn't mean I don't want him to have a backstory and plot hooks from before ME1.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »
    That's a fair point. I hope it's ME 3.

Whatever it is, I'll play it. Bioware has earned the right to my wallet.

I highly doubt it's ME3. It's almost unheard of for a sequel to turn around in a year's time. The only game I can think of is Left 4 Dead 2, but that's a game with modest graphics, no story or cutscenes, and very little voice work.

I'd say it's most likely a ME2 expansion pack, and they're just over-selling it talking about it being "far-reaching". Either that or it's something stupid like an iPhone game or a Facebook game or something.

Fallout new vegas is something similar.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Dude that was fucking awesome last night. 8-)

Ok back to mass effect... :rotate:

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I do like how some of the renegade triggers seem to not actually give you renegade points, I wish I would have known about that before hand, I could have been doing some awesome stuff all over!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stele wrote: »

Dude that was fucking awesome last night. 8-)

Ok back to mass effect... :rotate:

Yeah that has to be in the next game, so awesome

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I highly doubt it's ME3. It's almost unheard of for a sequel to turn around in a year's time. The only game I can think of is Left 4 Dead 2, but that's a game with modest graphics, no story or cutscenes, and very little voice work.

I'd say it's most likely a ME2 expansion pack, and they're just over-selling it talking about it being "far-reaching". Either that or it's something stupid like an iPhone game or a Facebook game or something.

What do you mean?

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    You know what would be great DLC? A second set of loyalty missons, one every so often. Gotta love character development.

And my friend pointed out that very little information is given out about Shepard. In ME1 you had background missons, but unless I missed them there wern't any in Me2. I know it's 'your' Shepard but that doesn't mean I don't want him to have a backstory and plot hooks from before ME1.

I'd be down for more loyalty missions. I would have been happier with ME2 if there was no collector story at all, and it was just 100% about your team

Sakeido on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As long as whatever new Mass Effect game that's coming out next year is for the 360, I'll buy it. I'm still pissed i can't play Galaxies because I cant' afford an iPhone.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yeah that has to be in the next game, so awesome

You know thinking it over, has any character in the ME series used an edged weapon of any kind? I'm trying to recall my ME 1 super run through, but I don't recall any knives. Hell I think (Spoiler for the Assassin recruitment mission).

It wasn't until we saw Thane snapping bitches necks that we had ever seen anyone get up close and kill someone. I mean shepard punches dudes but no ones been bled yet.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010

What do you mean?

Rpg out after a year of the last game using last games assests to speed up dev time

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As long as whatever new Mass Effect game that's coming out next year is for the 360, I'll buy it. I'm still pissed i can't play Galaxies because I cant' afford an iPhone.

Don't be. Galaxies isn't, you know, good.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I do like how some of the renegade triggers seem to not actually give you renegade points, I wish I would have known about that before hand, I could have been doing some awesome stuff all over!

The one Renegade trigger that bugged me? On Samara's pick up quest where you meet that Asari Eclipse merc.
    I shot her the first time around because that's what my RenShep would do. Then I felt bad, reloaded, and gave her a chance. What do I find out later? Bitch was lying to me the entire time, and I was justified in wasting her ass. And I couldn't reload to go with my original Renegade choice. Dammit.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

What do you mean?

Rpg out after a year of the last game using last games assests to speed up dev time

But it's going to be out around two years after the last game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sakeido wrote: »

I'd be down for more loyalty missions. I would have been happier with ME2 if there was no collector story at all, and it was just 100% about your team

I really hope you get to keep your team in the next game, I like my people. Also romance plot spoilers.

I really like Miranda as a love interest, I know it puts me in the minority compared to Tali, but I like her as a character and even in the opening they take care to show that her interest in you was more then just scientific, like when you almost die she takes the time to look into your eyes as you slowly go back under, thats more then just a "Got to make sure this dude lives." Attitude.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Go do the Fake IDs quest, be make sure you bring Zaeed and take the renegade options.

Freaking sweet.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The one Renegade trigger that bugged me? On Samara's pick up quest where you meet that Asari Eclipse merc.
    I shot her the first time around because that's what my RenShep would do. Then I felt bad, reloaded, and gave her a chance. What do I find out later? Bitch was lying to me the entire time, and I was justified in wasting her ass. And I couldn't reload to go with my original Renegade choice. Dammit.

I believe that one gives you paragon points for not using the trigger but, Arkangel spoiler.

Jacking the mechanic out didn't give me any renegade that I saw pop up, I missed the shooting the robot que but I don't think that one would either, some of the renegade actions are merely Jack Bauer moments (hell I think bioware even said that it ups your badassness).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I really hope you get to keep your team in the next game, I like my people. Also romance plot spoilers.

I really like Miranda as a love interest, I know it puts me in the minority compared to Tali, but I like her as a character and even in the opening they take care to show that her interest in you was more then just scientific, like when you almost die she takes the time to look into your eyes as you slowly go back under, thats more then just a "Got to make sure this dude lives." Attitude.
    I also went with Miranda.. for romance, and she was in my party for the entire game. I liked her better than Ashley, and Tali.. nah. Just doesn't feel right. I definitely want my sexy Aussie brunette to make a return appearance in ME3.

Sakeido on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

The fact that you were a corpse for most of that period makes that a wee bit creepy.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

What do you mean?

But it's going to be out around two years after the last game.

True, I've seemingly lost a year somewhere

Deaderinred on
This discussion has been closed.