As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Be an Enforcer for PAX East!

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
I have a special message from PRD, our volunteer coordinator for PAX:

So, it turns out that Boston PAX holds potential thrills and excitement for considerably more people than we initially expected, and we have revised the number of Enforcer volunteers we'll need. Time is pressing up on us now, and we're trying to get the word out wherever possible. We hope that you might be able to help us in our recruiting efforts!

To summarize what we're looking for, Enforcers are the general volunteers who help us run the show in the following areas:

Registration (ticket sales etc.)
Logistics
Line Management
Console Freeplay
Console Tournament
Classic Console
PC Security
PC Freeplay & Tournament
Tabletop
Main Theatre
Satellite Theatres
Exhibition Hall
Handheld Lounges
Spareboard (extra staff, you might end up doing anything)
PC Spareboard
Info Booth & Enforcer Command Center

The application to volunteer can be downloaded here:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/uploads/2009/11/5/EC_Enforcer_App.doc

It should be completed and returned to me at klindsay@penny-arcade.com.

We would sincerely appreciate any help you can provide in getting this opportunity out to the gamers of the East Coast! Please feel free to post in any communities that you think might be good recruiting grounds for us.

Thanks so much!

PRD

Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• Options
    karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    do eeet

karlthepagan on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have a special message from PRD, our volunteer coordinator for PAX:

So what you are asking is for us to save the Princess?
    I am sure many people here would be more than willing to do just that.
    She better end up being in this PAXstle.

Seriously though, I have encouraged some online friends to apply and I know of at least one that is gonna do it.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would do it, but since this is going to be my girlfriends first pax (although she's only going saturday and sunday), I wanted to show her what pax is all about.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You'll get to Boston and Khoo will say "Your Princess is in another PAX!" Prime is the boss level. ;)

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This year is my first pax and pax prime, next year I can provide assistance.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Does anyone know when do they typically announce if you've been chosen or not?

Rdr on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I submitted my app on the 30th, got my approval on the 4th.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I submitted my app on the 30th, got my approval on the 4th.

Pretty quick. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Woot! Just got accepted as an Enforcer. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What's the time committment for an enforcer? Do they get to attend events within the con at all, or is all their time spent volunteering? Since this is my first time attending - should I just spend my time acclimating myself to the experience and maybe next time volunteer?

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Enforcers volunteer about 6 hours per day minimum with three shifts (morning, afternoon, night) to choose from. Shifts and areas are designated before the convention begins, and you have some say in your work preferences.

When I say minimum, I mean that's all that is required of you. A lot of enforcers choose to do more because it's just too damn fun.

Liger on
  • Options
    kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Liger wrote: »
    Enforcers volunteer about 6 hours per day minimum with three shifts (morning, afternoon, night) to choose from. Shifts and areas are designated before the convention begins, and you have some say in your work preferences.

When I say minimum, I mean that's all that is required of you. A lot of enforcers choose to do more because it's just too damn fun.

Thanks for the info!

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • Options
    YoshokatanaYoshokatana Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Sent in my Enforcer app today!

EDIT: I submitted my application for enforcer a few days ago, but in light of the recent news (running low on tickets), should I pre-reg just in case? Is there a way to be reimbursed/refunded if I'm accepted for Enforcership?

Yoshokatana on
  • Options
    ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just submitted my own application. I'm glad this second round of Enforcer applications was made available. On the one hand, I'm worried we won't have enough necessary staff for this to be a really swingin' convention. On the other hand, I'm excited PAX will be so big and excited that I'm getting the chance to volunteer, as I missed the first wave of applications.

I've never volunteered at a convention before; it's perhaps ambitious to start with PAX, but why not aim for the best?

I've already pre-registered however, as I did not expect the opportunity to be an Enforcer. If accepted, is a refund viable?

Zuki on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sent in my Enforcer app today!

EDIT: I submitted my application for enforcer a few days ago, but in light of the recent news (running low on tickets), should I pre-reg just in case? Is there a way to be reimbursed/refunded if I'm accepted for Enforcership?

I pre-registered awhile ago and then was accepted to be an Enforcer so I have a spare ticket. If you want to skip the pre-reg then I can mail you my ticket when I get it in the mail. Otherwise, yes if you pre-register and then become an Enforcer they'll refund your monies at PAX.

Rdr on
  • Options
    redphageredphage new member
    edited January 2010
    Yay! I was hoping they would need some more help with this show. I submitted my application as well -- here's hoping.

redphage on
  • Options
    YoshokatanaYoshokatana Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Thanks, Rdr, but I just received my Enforcer confirmation today! I'm really excited!

Yoshokatana on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Awesome, Yoshokatana, see you there. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got my acceptance today still finish all the little things but yep see all you there.

Singollo on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got my acceptance letter a few days ago, sent in my picture and stuff. So excited!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    SlabSlab Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Who would need to be contacted for job applications to become a part of the security team at PAX? I'm not talking about the enforcers (although I am one), but the actual security at the conventions.

Slab on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do you mean the convention centers security?

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Slab wrote: »
    Who would need to be contacted for job applications to become a part of the security team at PAX? I'm not talking about the enforcers (although I am one), but the actual security at the conventions.

East or west?

Either way there is a thread for this you should know about, pm'ing you more info.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slab wrote: »

You would have to go through each of the convention centers for non-PAX-related jobs.

WSCTC Employment (Prime): http://www.wsctc.com/about_us/employment_info.aspx
    Hynes Employment (East): http://www.mccahome.com/job_job.html

Liger on
  • Options
    Elisa1840Elisa1840 Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Question. I was accepted as a volunteer and they told me they would contact me further but i havent heard from anyone since. this was about a month ago, any thoughts?

Just not sure what i need to do or where to meet and such. Thanks

Elisa1840 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Check your spam inbox. Also make sure you complete all the requirements posted in the initial acceptance email. If that doesn't work, try sending an email to the same address you sent your application to.

Do this ASAP.

Liger on
  • Options
    Elisa1840Elisa1840 Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Check your spam inbox. Also make sure you complete all the requirements posted in the initial acceptance email. If that doesn't work, try sending an email to the same address you sent your application to.

Do this ASAP.

Ah ok thank you, i did everything that was asked of me and always checked the spam but didnt see anything. Ill re email them now. Thanks for the reply.

Elisa1840 on
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Offhand, if I was interested for next year, are there jobs enforcers can do that are seated primarily? I thought about joining up, but my bad knee prevents standing or much walking around. If so, might try next year. :)

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just off the top of my head, I'd say the freeplay desks, PA merch booth, registration and info desks would involve a lot of sitting.

(Note: totally not official word)

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is also totally unofficial but I know in past years I've worked with Enforcers who could only stand for limited amounts of time.

Don't read too much into my statement though: I don't know if there are a lot of these positions, and I don't know if that sort of disability would limit your chances of acceptance or not. I also don't know much about what it takes to get accepted, except for what we can all observe in the end result of that screening process: awesome passionate people who don't just come to work, they come to take ownership and to love what they do, to assume the role of a host helping to throw an awesome party for friends.

So I'd say definitely apply, and be up-front about everything, good and bad. Be brutally honest. I know for many it can be stressful and emotionally draining to evaluate and summarize yourself for someone whom you don't know that well and who might reject you. (Possibly the same reason . . . ahem . . . some of us nerds are nervous about the opposite sex and don't start dating until later in life. Or maybe that's just me. :-) ) It's still worth it. You should apply.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    This is also totally unofficial but I know in past years I've worked with Enforcers who could only stand for limited amounts of time.

Don't read too much into my statement though: I don't know if there are a lot of these positions, and I don't know if that sort of disability would limit your chances of acceptance or not. I also don't know much about what it takes to get accepted, except for what we can all observe in the end result of that screening process: awesome passionate people who don't just come to work, they come to take ownership and to love what they do, to assume the role of a host helping to throw an awesome party for friends.

So I'd say definitely apply, and be up-front about everything, good and bad. Be brutally honest. I know for many it can be stressful and emotionally draining to evaluate and summarize yourself for someone whom you don't know that well and who might reject you. (Possibly the same reason . . . ahem . . . some of us nerds are nervous about the opposite sex and don't start dating until later in life. Or maybe that's just me. :-) ) It's still worth it. You should apply.

Thanks...like I said, I figure I'll go (since this is my first PAX of either type. Closest I've been to something like this is either Gencon (which I LOVE) or Wizard World Boston (which was meh and not done anymore). Once I check it out, I'll know better for next time around and will maybe give it a whirl. And if it doesn't work out, oh well. I'm a big boy, I'll handle it. :)

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Options
    TheGamerTheGamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wow is all I can say if there still excepting resumes... havea couple friends who got excepted.

TheGamer on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TheGamer wrote: »
    wow is all I can say if there still excepting resumes... havea couple friends who got excepted.

They're still accepting applications, yeah. If you want to apply, now is the time to do it.

Liger on
  • Options
    NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I applied, probably won't get to be one, but I figured I had to take a shot at it.

Last two conventions, the Enforcers helped me out so much, figured the least I can do is return the favor to some convention goers at PAX East.

Nope on
  • Options
    Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Put my application in.. Hoping I'll get the spot. I'm new to PAX but not conventions in general. Seeing what it would be like on the other side. Thought this would be the best way to experience it and have a taste. :winky:

-edit-
    apparently i sent my application in a good time. O.o I guess I will be seeing you guys there on the other side of the fence!

Postal Kitty on
  • Options
    CspilsCspils Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I just applied today, would be my first convention do you think think theres any chance I may get a position?

That was quick I got it

Cspils on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cspils wrote: »
    I just applied today, would be my first convention do you think think theres any chance I may get a position?

By applying, your chances of being accepted are significantly higher. ;) PAX07 was my first convention ever and I Enforced it. Don't be discouraged by lack of experience.

Liger on
  • Options
    TheGamerTheGamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TheGamer wrote: »

They're still accepting applications, yeah. If you want to apply, now is the time to do it.

no thanks . Its my first pax and I want to be free:) I was just surrprised is all .

TheGamer on
  • Options
    'T''T' King in the North BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I applied and got an acceptance letter back. I followed the instructions in the e-mail (send a photo), and I haven't gotten a reply back yet. I also sent a follow up e-mail. Did I do something wrong or is there just a wait time between e-mails? Because the first e-mail came really quick.

'T' on
    15e5VyH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    T wrote:
    I applied and got an acceptance letter back. I followed the instructions in the e-mail (send a photo), and I haven't gotten a reply back yet. I also sent a follow up e-mail. Did I do something wrong or is there just a wait time between e-mails? Because the first e-mail came really quick.

Before anyone answers, this is irrelevant because he's gotten a reply back and has moved on to the next task of his acceptance. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Keep in mind when you apply that your application is processed by a genuine meat human, and not a machine. While said meat human is usually very punctual about sending out emails, she does need to step away from the computer occasionally to maintain her sanity and stay outside the grasp of the evil Computron.

Liger on
This discussion has been closed.