As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] A bundle of sticks wordfilters to silly goose

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The neat thing about characters you created a long time ago but never played is that they have the old starting attributes (skills to V depending on race/profession/etc) but also still get the 100% training bonus that new characters get.

Is there a way to check what skills I had? It's been a really long time. I think I had all my "learning" skills up to IV-V (are those still in the game)? And I think I had some basic ship stuff too, but I'm not real sure.

Also -- how would I go about finding you guys if I were to start playing again?

Is there a buy one / get one deal like WoW has (where if you send me a trial, you get a free month or something)?

planetes42 on
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    planetes42 wrote: »
    The neat thing about characters you created a long time ago but never played is that they have the old starting attributes (skills to V depending on race/profession/etc) but also still get the 100% training bonus that new characters get.

Is there a way to check what skills I had? It's been a really long time. I think I had all my "learning" skills up to IV-V (are those still in the game)? And I think I had some basic ship stuff too, but I'm not real sure.

Also -- how would I go about finding you guys if I were to start playing again?

Is there a buy one / get one deal like WoW has (where if you send me a trial, you get a free month or something)?

I'm pretty sure you can't check your character if you're unsubbed.

If you were in MerchI before, I believe you can get back in; otherwise you'll have to wait until we start letting new people in which I guess is "soon".

Yes, people can send you a 21 day free trial and get a free month if you pay for a sub. I'm sure if you message anybody here they'd be happy to send one. I don't think it would help you though if you already had an account, unless you can train up whatever you had before in < 21 days.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'd keep your old character. Training the learning skills is annoying, to say the least. Especially the advanced ones.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what skills used to be at V? I know Gallente got Drones V.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought that Amarr ended up with Gunnery V. I can't remember 7 years back mind you. Though I think it could have been anything. Each profession/bloodline/race thing added a separate set of skill levels that stacked with each other if they were the same. So if you kept picking for a particular skill, you ended up with a V skill.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure I started with Mining V, or maybe it was IV, I can't remember. I do remember when I first played EvE I wanted to be a miner (lol).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Amarr Khanid Soldiers or something started out with shit like Engineering, Energy Systems Operation, and some other cap skill at 4/5. They were also the highest perception outside of some Caldari setup so they were pretty great.

Just Some Dude on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yea, I'm an Amarrian Religious something or other and my perception is through the roof. 5 charisma though!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Starting a new character in Eve is pretty stupid. Just cross-train.

I know it's stupid, but... Blah, I hate how my character looks, I hate running around in a drone boat, and I really wish I knew enough about the game to not feel like a fumbling arse every time I logged on. ;)

Maybe I'll do the alt thing instead, just to figure it out. If I don't come to my senses first...

Is GS really moving to STO?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

Goons are easily distracted. No other game allows them to gently caress the unwashed masses more than eve so I suspect they'll be back.

Just Some Dude on
  • Options
    HuggyBearHuggyBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I know it's stupid, but... Blah, I hate how my character looks, I hate running around in a drone boat, and I really wish I knew enough about the game to not feel like a fumbling arse every time I logged on. ;)

Maybe I'll do the alt thing instead, just to figure it out. If I don't come to my senses first...

Alt it up for a while, you can get something fun up and running soon enough, while you're training the alt you can set your current main on a skill cycle turning it into something more to your liking, personally I'm a drone whore but my long term aim is carrier/logistics support, so it fits well in the long run.

As for sto a few vocal silly goose's are trying to drum up support but the game's just not at the point to support anything but a casual player base atm, you're already playing so no doubt you'll have seen the same by now.

Any typo's or rambling in the above can be attributed due to having just stumbled back from the pub.

HuggyBear on
    2rh72wk.jpg
  • Options
    SiddySiddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    EVE need goons

Siddy on
    Siddy, don't make 650kb gifs your sig, damnit.
    villiage.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HuggyBear wrote: »

Alt it up for a while, you can get something fun up and running soon enough, while you're training the alt you can set your current main on a skill cycle turning it into something more to your liking, personally I'm a drone whore but my long term aim is carrier/logistics support, so it fits well in the long run.

As for sto a few vocal silly goose's are trying to drum up support but the game's just not at the point to support anything but a casual player base atm, you're already playing so no doubt you'll have seen the same by now.

Any typo's or rambling in the above can be attributed due to having just stumbled back from the pub.

Considering I am at level 43, almost 44, the level cap is 45, and the only reason I'm not completely out of content was an emergency patch a few days ago... yeah, I can definitely see the "STO is Casual" thing. The thing is, I don't ever see it NOT being casual.

In other words, sans random griefing, the Goons are going to be literally out of things to do in a week. And the devs have already said they're watching the Goons to see what they do, to know what to nerf as far as griefing goes.

I guess I'm just saying that Goons in STO sounded like the kinda deadpan humor that SA usually does.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There are days that I miss MOO, when it comes to discussing griefing.

In the days of A Long Long Time Ago, when Concord ships were actually killable and could be tanked. Those were funny days.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    There are days that I miss MOO, when it comes to discussing griefing.

In the days of A Long Long Time Ago, when Concord ships were actually killable and could be tanked. Those were funny days.

it is m0o.

and yes, i miss it too :(

it didint matter what m0o flew, battleship or a wheelchair, systems emptied in seconds

too bad we went emo and broke up into TRS and that other JEW corp, but the EVE was too difrent from the days of old.

all that is left for me, is pulling that old "remember when EVE was good" meme.

oh and we used to farm concord for the loot that recycled for megacyte. Realy rare at one poin in 2005

i remember hig end crisis, megacyte were 18k and zyd 9k ++

Siddy on
    villiage.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yea, forgot the exact spelling. You were in it? Damn.

Hell, in this nostalgia vein, I remember when people were rushing like hell over who could produce Thoraxes. Thoraxes, being one of the better ships at the time, and people bitching that the market was being flooded by people selling the ships for less than they cost to build.

Or Jade Constantine and actually interacting with her. I never did get to see the Taggart collapse, that was just before me, but I remember her and the coalition afterwards.

Or when Jokers were first in and around EC-P8R and were flying cruisers. I still recall with dread when they started flying Battleships which made us shit ourselves.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    remember the lynch mob trying to kill the fist m0o BS in game?

thst was funny.

Yeah, there were other scary corps, Jokers, CoW and Zombies to name a few. Remember the yulai incident?

as for thoraxes, they were one of the best ships money culd get untill the drone nerf (save the time when dual mwd/ab setups)

thorax, with 1600mm plate and mwd, 8 heavies and small blasters were brutal.

Siddy on
    villiage.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shit, Yulai, yulai, the name I'm remembering but I can't recall the specifics of the incident. I recall CoW but don't think we ever ran into them.

I miss pre-drone nerf :( 10 drones around my Armageddon at once was fun.

And god yea, mwds. People loading 3-4 MWDs on their ships, parking next to you, activating their MWDs and in 2 seconds are gone from your grid. So hilarious.

I also miss my Torp Caracel/Blackbird. Back then, a Blackbird could jam you and utterly obliterate you. Though if you wanted more guarnateed killing, you went with a Caracel because it had more high slots for missile bays.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    God, the first couple of times I played I spent the entirety of my time mining in Yulai.

Wooo, a billion units of veldspar. I was so happy when I got my Tempest finally, and filled it entirely with cargo expanders and Mining Laser I's.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i still got cruise kestrels in hangars :D

also: yulai incident - over 1000 pod kils in mega hub (bigger than jita) 1.0 space

Siddy on
    villiage.gif
  • Options
    DelphiDelphi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I upgraded my trial account from a year-and-a-half ago today (didn't then because I didn't want to dedicate time to an mmo haha).

Kind of pissed that I'm locked from forums for 72 hours because of this, so I can't get my API key for evemon. Any ideas if there's another way to get it?
    Not that it matters too awful much since I've completely forgotten any sort of skill plan I had going...

Also, any helpful corp invites, pvp knowledge, et c. would be very much appreciated :D

Name is Dismal Arai

Delphi on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    All this mocking of e-honour is way out of line.

I've only played this game a week, and am just now understanding the scope of time it takes you to accomplish things, and the coordination required is immense. I don't think its unreasonable to become invested into playing it, and playing it well. If you are just in it for shits and giggles, great, but don't pretend that everyone who actually derives satisfaction out of the game is somehow retarded.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    eHonor violations is code for "didn't let us win".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Siddy wrote: »

thst was funny.

Yeah, there were other scary corps, Jokers, CoW and Zombies to name a few. Remember the yulai incident?

as for thoraxes, they were one of the best ships money culd get untill the drone nerf (save the time when dual mwd/ab setups)

CoW as in Cult of War? I thought they were still around?

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Siddy wrote: »

thst was funny.

CoW as in Cult of War? I thought they were still around?

care bares on weed

Siddy on
    villiage.gif
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lady Eri wrote: »

I've only played this game a week, and am just now understanding the scope of time it takes you to accomplish things, and the coordination required is immense. I don't think its unreasonable to become invested into playing it, and playing it well. If you are just in it for shits and giggles, great, but don't pretend that everyone who actually derives satisfaction out of the game is somehow retarded.

Playing the game "for shits and giggles" and deriving satisfaction from the game are not mutually exclusive.

And I would argue that anyone who skips work for an internet space ship game, or expects every random person to adhere to their code of space chivalry is functionally a silly goose.

Papillon on
  • Options
    Peter MansbridgePeter Mansbridge Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Papillon wrote: »
    And I would argue that anyone who skips work for an internet space ship game, or expects every random person to adhere to their code of space chivalry is functionally a silly goose.

Yes. They should be playing the internet space ship game FROM work instead. 8-)

Peter Mansbridge on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Papillon wrote: »

Playing the game "for shits and giggles" and deriving satisfaction from the game are not mutually exclusive.

And that's a level too far, but I am sure you are not insinuating everyone who plays by a certain code expects everyone else to adhere to it. Nor, are you insinuating everyone who does also skips work. If you were that would make you a straw goose.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And that's a level too far, but I am sure you are not insinuating everyone who plays by a certain code expects everyone else to adhere to it. Nor, are you insinuating everyone who does also skips work. If you were that would make you a straw goose.

No. Some people get upset when someone else does something "dishonorable", and some people become too invested in the game and "play" to the extent it negatively impacts their work. Most of the mocking I've run into is directed at those kind of people though. Obviously your experience has been different.

Papillon on
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I don't think you quite understand the motivation behind the honor-mockery. There is a large subset of players who believe that certain things are "dishonourable", such as killing others in empire, using Warp Core Stabilizers, or fighting with uneven numbers. Usually these are the same individuals who quote famous military leaders and huff about, bragging about their prowess on CAOD, making analogies to WW2 or the writings of Sun Tzu. Goons are a lot of (bad) things, but they do take the game seriously, while still generally maintaining some perspective. The undisguised contempt and derision? Well that's a Goon thing I guess. Some of us might shake our head and move on, Goons shout at the top of their lungs about how stupid something is.

The people you describe also generally don't get made fun of. At least not for their E-honor. However, calm, composed people who know their limits and don't rant about honor or epic warfare are uncommon to say the least. Or maybe we just don't see them because they're calm, composed, and don't draw undue attention to themselves by being buffoons.

Pel on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pel wrote: »
    I don't think you quite understand the motivation behind the honor-mockery. There is a large subset of players who believe that certain things are "dishonourable", such as killing others in empire, using Warp Core Stabilizers, or fighting with uneven numbers. Usually these are the same individuals who quote famous military leaders and huff about, bragging about their prowess on CAOD, making analogies to WW2 or the writings of Sun Tzu.
    Can't say I know much about Sun Tzu and WW2 stuff, but in the Real World, doesn't a fair fight mean someone screwed up?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Pel wrote: »
    I don't think you quite understand the motivation behind the honor-mockery. There is a large subset of players who believe that certain things are "dishonourable", such as killing others in empire, using Warp Core Stabilizers, or fighting with uneven numbers. Usually these are the same individuals who quote famous military leaders and huff about, bragging about their prowess on CAOD, making analogies to WW2 or the writings of Sun Tzu.
    Can't say I know much about Sun Tzu and WW2 stuff, but in the Real World, doesn't a fair fight mean someone screwed up?
    Sam Vimes of Terry Pratchett's Discworld is a great believer in dirty fighting. His fighting style consists of using everything you have to hit anything you can. He calls it "artful". About the only time he's ever been delicate about the subject was when he was mentioning Nobby's "favorite kick" in front of Lady Sybil Ramkin. ...
    ... Vimes' fighting style is contrasted with that of the Marquis of Fantailler, a send-up of the Marquis de Queensbury who "wrote a set of rules for what he termed 'the noble art of fisticuffs,' which mostly consisted of a list of places where people weren't allowed to hit him. Many people were impressed with his work and later stood with noble chest out-thrust and fists balled in a spirit of manly aggression against people who hadn't read the Marquis's book but did know how to knock people senseless with a chair." A surprising number of those people's last words were something along the lines of "Stuff the bloody Marquis of Fantail-"
    TVTropes: The Combat Pragmatist

KiTA on
  • Options
    HuggyBearHuggyBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty much considered a nice guy, I don't go out of my way to mess with people unless there's a good reason or they're where they shouldn't be, but if I'm going to fight I'm not going to do it with one hand tied behind my back.

"That! Is!! Not!!! My!!! Cow!!!!!"

HuggyBear on
    2rh72wk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't even think in my entire EVE career I've even had to encounter that type of attitude outside of RPers who I respect and generally let them do their own thing. But then, I hang out in 0.0 almost exclusively and in there it's about survival, people who come in there accept the risks, so there isn't usually any silly gooserry.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There are a lot of them in FW, it is kind of sad and funny at the same time.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    New propoganda, I really like the backing track.

Plus, the cat bit never seems to get old. :D

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    And the devs have already said they're watching the Goons to see what they do, to know what to nerf as far as griefing goes.

No way, lol :lol:

TekDragon on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe they should be focusing on stopping the auto-mining bots who have secured containers set up all through hisec asteroid belts

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Maybe they should be focusing on stopping the auto-mining bots who have secured containers set up all through hisec asteroid belts

Yeah, I hear that mining is a completely worthless isk maker now, since the bots have flooded the market.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.