As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Myst Online: Uru LIve

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
http://mystonline.com/en/

Myst Online: Uru Live is a massive multiplayer online game (MMOG) unlike anything else. Instead of repetitive kill/take/buy gameplay of other MMOGs, the very essence of Myst Online is to explore vast, fantastic worlds; savoring and uncovering new areas and new information at every turn. Exploring in Myst Online is an extraordinary experience, where immersing yourself in the environment gives you insight into how to move forward, and what went on before. You can explore alone, or share the journey with a select group friends or family from anywhere in the world. Create an online avatar and chat via text and voice, share images and clues, and explore the Ages of Myst Online together. You’ll rediscover, restore and rebuild the ancient city of D’ni and learn about the history of its fallen civilization.

Myst Online: Uru Live (or MO:UL for short) is the latest incarnation of Uru, a series of amazing adventures starting with Uru: Ages Beyond Myst and spanning Uru: To D’ni and Uru: The Path Of The Shell. It’s a continuation of the critically acclaimed games Myst and Riven; and the Myst novels. For further details on Myst and Uru, we recommend MYSTlore, a great fan-run encyclopedia of all things Myst.

MO:ULagain is the currently available reincarnation of everything in MO:UL in a free, donation-supported, server run by Cyan. It is the first step in “opening” MO:UL. Cyan is planning that the client, servers and tools of MO:UL will soon become open source, allowing fans to continue developing the game and its universe. Fans will be able to host their own Uru servers and write their own custom, fan-made worlds for everyone to explore. For details, please see the Developers page.

System Requirements:

■Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7
■800MHz PentiumIII or AMD Athlon or better Processor
■512MB of Memory, 1GB or more recommended
■Video Card: 32 MB RAM, DirectX9.0 -compliant video card and compliant audio card
■DirectX 9.0c
■3+ GB free Hard Drive Space
■Broadband Internet Connection
■800 by 600 16 bit displays

Bamelin on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Myst Online: URU Live Again is the latest version of the URU game and the latest story in the Myst franchise. In it, you play you (hence URU) and you have felt a yearning of sorts to head for mountain in New Mexico. The game starts with you at this mountain and the cleft near by. After some rudimentary puzzle solving you gain access to your Relto, your own personal Age which you can customize by finding other pages to add to the Relto book as well as other linking books that will take you to new adventures.

What sets this game apart though from the previous Myst games, aside from the full 3D world and 3rd person view is the online aspect. After gaining your Relto book, you can travel to the majestic underground city of D'ni and meet other players and from there, you can do whatever you want. Socialize in the bar or around town. Sight see through the various Ages or even team up to solve some of the more elaborate puzzles (not originally the initial game could be completed entirely solo. The Gametap incarnation added multiplayer puzzles).

What is the draw? Exploration.

URU-Ages-Beyond-Myst_1.jpg
    relto6.jpg
    File:Uru_screenshot.png
    uru7um.jpg
    screen4.jpg
    garden1.jpg
    3.jpg

Personally, I always loved this game. I supported Until Uru, back when Cyan was running a barebones Uru server. It was a way to show that there was a community and to keep the game alive until a company would support Cyan's online plans (Ubisoft pulling their support almost at launch). A couple of years later they got picked up by Gametap which brought them a new storyline and new Ages for people to play in. I also frequently posted in the thread in G&T about this and I can't wait to play again and go exploring. I also can't wait to see what people will make when this becomes open sourced. Just before UU was pulled, people were starting to crack the game and adding in their own Ages. Nothing fancy, essentially just a blank untextured room that you could link to and from, but now with support from the devs things are going to be awesome.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll link this to the entry in the free MMO list, nice you've made a thread, although you should really expand it to provide some more information. Especially information on what the fuck you do in this game, why that is awesome to you and why other people should join in. Also point out what awesome things you can do together and why that would be fun to do with fellow PAers.

Also screenshoootttts.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    *Cracks knuckles*
    Alright, I'll get on that.

<EDIT: OP Moved to second post.>

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought this was discontinued ages ago. I wanted to play it for the longest time but I didn't have the specs to run it.

Do you guys mean to say that it's back?

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    YES!!!!!

Though right now, it's frakin impossible to update from Cyan's servers and they recommend you download the full install from fileplanet.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I registered and d/l'd from Fileplanet. I plan to look into this in the next few days.

Always wanted to try it when it was on Gametap but never took the time.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tried this out today until the servers went down again. Hopefully they get some stability back as it's choppy as fuck at the moment.

Still managed to solve a couple of puzzles but have no clue what I'm doing and everyone insists on calling certain areas by names or ages which don't ever seem to have been revealed to me. Not knowing what the hell to do is pretty charming though and makes me hope that 'The Secret World' will use some similar puzzle solving.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    Tried this out today until the servers went down again. Hopefully they get some stability back as it's choppy as fuck at the moment.

Still managed to solve a couple of puzzles but have no clue what I'm doing and everyone insists on calling certain areas by names or ages which don't ever seem to have been revealed to me. Not knowing what the hell to do is pretty charming though and makes me hope that 'The Secret World' will use some similar puzzle solving.
    I think it's amazing that two of the biggest point-n-clickers in history have been picked up for an adaption to the MMO genre. Although The Secret World (The Longest Journey) doesn't seem to stick to the same lore as TLJ.

What's next, a Gabriel Knight MMO?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That would be cool. A team of Jr. Shattenjagers running around.

For the Age names, I forgot where people get the names but they ARE in the game. You have to read some of the journals lying around and through them you are told what they are.

Also after you get your Ki, you can access the Hub which will let you fast travel to each Age and it WILL tell the name.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »

I think it's amazing that two of the biggest point-n-clickers in history have been picked up for an adaption to the MMO genre. Although The Secret World (The Longest Journey) doesn't seem to stick to the same lore as TLJ.

What's next, a Gabriel Knight MMO?

Don't tease my poor ol' heart.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there still a Mac client?

Senshi on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh Myst why do you taunt me so. I tried running the patcher since it was released and that didn't work. Well, sometimes it would, but it'd loose connection shortly thereafter. Last night I downloaded the fileplanet full client, but that too seems to just get stuck on "Checking for patcher update. . ." What am I to do?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh Myst why do you taunt me so. I tried running the patcher since it was released and that didn't work. Well, sometimes it would, but it'd loose connection shortly thereafter. Last night I downloaded the fileplanet full client, but that too seems to just get stuck on "Checking for patcher update. . ." What am I to do?

Their forums say be patient and just keep trying over and over despite that message. Make sure you only have one instance of the client opened at a time (open task manager and kill extra ones).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Okay I am in now. Martyn Almsley is the name. I look forward to puzzle solving with you guys. . . but not too much otherwise I get a headache. :P

edit- Okay, my game sort of "hitches" every few seconds. By that I mean, it freezes for like a split second fairly frequently. It is annoying. Anyone else have this problem? I am on Win 7 if that matters.

Axen on
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I never had Uru, but my aunt did. I literally spent countless hours not knowing what to do, and yet still playing. Every time something happened (I solved a minor puzzle, or go to a new area) I was so happy, I felt so accomplished, so smart. I'd love to experience that again.

I'm downloading this, definitely, hope you see you guys in game.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm in the same boat as you Mifio. For some reason I love playing Myst games, but suck so hard at solving puzzles. When I do solve one it's like the greatest thing in the world to me. :P

edit- Guild of Greeters is a handy dandy website filled with many FAQs, Guides, Walkthroughs, what-have-you.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yeah and the GoG were awesome people to boot.

The thing I liked about the Myst series is that it never really held your hand for everything, you had to figure it all out on your own. Thus the accomplishment itself was the reward.

I'll post a quick starter guide soon and what are the first things to do. Stuff like getting your Ki, a little watch like thing that also you to take screen shots and access ingame email, and getting to the social neighborhoods where other people hang out.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The servers are stable now so i can finally download this? :?

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The servers are stable now so i can finally download this? :?

Best bet would be to just download it from Filepanet. Here is the link for your convenience.

I still have my "stuttering" problem with the game. Updated video and audio drivers, didn't seem to help. :( It makes playing this game a touch frustrating at times.

edit- Also the "Ferry Terminal" Age/Area/Whatever it's called, seems to be the defacto hang out for most people.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I downloaded it off of fileplanet, the installer won't start. So I went and direct downloaded it, the installer won't start up from that either.
    I am angered.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So i downloaded it from fileplanet and finally got to play :mrgreen: There is any PA guild,clan,group whatever in this game?

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    PA Guild suggestion:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/10/08/

MystIV: AAAAH-CRASH

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks to this game I've been putting my notebooks to good use. Hah. . . I think I'll need more though. :P

Axen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Beginner's Guide is located here. Very helpful if you are just starting off. It explains a lot of the basics, how to get your Ki, what you can do with your Relto, and tells a little bit about what the hell is going on. :P

Oh, once you get settled in, return to your Relto and activate the one pillar there and go to the "Age" shown in the book. Congratulations you are now in New Mexico! You should find a trailer with a dude sitting outside it nearby. He will explain some things. Finishing the puzzle in our world is probably a good first step IMHO. As it will unlock several things for you back in your Relto. Plus it is the first part of the story. IIRC the game used to start people off there, not sure why/when they changed it.

edit- We should organize some kind of meet up. Maybe try to tackle some of the Ages that require multiple people. Also, I vote "Arcadian Archeology Club" for our group name. Not that you can actually form guilds IIRC. :(

Axen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anybody know how to export screenshots? I'm putting together a guide and I don't want to go through again and alt-tab everything.

EDIT: Ok, hopefully words will be enough.

The Nocren (AKA John Turner, Ki # 00326152) Guide to making your Relto home pretty (A work in progress).

So you're new to Uru, or maybe you're returning. Either way, your home away from home is kinda barren isn't it? Just a mountain top, some trees, rocks, and a hut with a dresser and library. And even that's not impressive since it only has one book in it.

So let's add some scenery. First step. Go to your library and open up that book. Don't be shy. This book links you to your Bevin or neighborhood. This is randomly assigned to you. Don't worry though you don't have to spend time with these people if you don't want to. Eventually you'll gain access to other Bevins and other, better people. Now you'll be in your Bevin standing next to a fountain. Turn around and go down the steps towards the water garden. Take the right most path and jump up onto the stump. Now look at the window protruding out from the wall. If you look closely there might be a Relto page attached to the wall. Noticed how I said "Might", not every Bevin has this page.

NEW EDITION! Now with pictures!
    Before-
    RP1.jpg

At the water/light garden-
    RP1a.jpg

On the stump-
    RP1b.jpg

After-
    RP1c.jpg

So maybe you got some little islands around your mountain top retreat now (maybe not). Let's add some life to your seclusion. Head back to your Relto (mouse down to the bottom of the screen or press f3). See that weird thing in front of your hut? Go ahead and open it.
    Welcome to New Mexico. Ok, so talk to Zandi if you want and explore the desert a bit. Go ahead and walk/run around a bit. Going counter-clockwise (going right from where you linked in from) you'll encounter Zandi's trailer, the Cleft, some ruins and some bones before running into the "No Trespassing" sign. Head for the ruins. (Riven players will recognize it.) There should be a page in the area that adds a bird flying around your place.

NEW EDITION! With pretty pictures to make up for my lack of writing talent!
    RP2.jpg
    RP2a.jpg

And so far that's all I've (re-)discovered. More as I find them.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Nocren (AKA John Turner, Ki # 00326152) Guide to making your Relto home pretty (A work in progress).

So now you've got a bird and (maybe) some islands. If you finished your task in New Mexico, you probably also have four totems in your front yard. Find the one that links you to Gahreesen (it's where you got your Ki). Make sure you use the one from your library or front yard. The ones in the Bevin have been... altered by the DRC to make things safe, but what's risk without reward? So, go to the room where you got your Ki. See that little roadblocker? Go past it and jump right into the crevasse. There should be a page down there that will add some rocks and logs for you to kick around back at your Relto.

How do you get out? Just link back home, and next time, just jump over the thing.

NEW EDITION! What some pictures?
    Here's the crevasse...
    RP6a.jpg

And here's the page.
    RP6b.jpg

And the reward!
    RP6c.jpg

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, I had been reading a lot about URU a couple weeks ago, wishing I would someday get a chance to play this with friends. I was just about to get the lonely single player version from Good Old Games when this happened. Now I find myself burning the installer to DVDs and shoving them in to the hands of everybody I know. This is an exciting, if not extremely puzzling development. If the problem was funding the servers all this time, how is running the game free of charge a solution? Maybe I don't want to know...

How is this thread only two pages long? Is this the result of all mmo gaming being moved to its own subform? I just feel like this thread would have been way more successful in G&T, or even SE++ for that matter... :(

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I got the patcher installed, however, when i try to patch, a dialog box saying
    "Failed to delete old patcher executable. Access is denied." pops up, how can I fix it?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

By now I bet you're thinking that your new getaway is looking a little shoddy. What better way to spruce it up some by repairing that worn old roof with something new? In Teledahn (the Age with all the mushrooms and you start in a little shack) you'll find Douglas Sharper's office. Once you take a ride in a bucket, unlock the elevator and head up to the office. Next to the crate and aquarium, you should see a page for you Relto book that will give you a new roof for your hut.

NEW EDITION!
    RP7a.jpg
    RP7b.jpg

EDIT:
    So since your roof is now fixed, I bet you're thinking that your lawn could use a little work. And you're right it does. First off, go to the Guild of Greeters Bevin (those guys have all the luck). Now go to the book room (it contains the Gahreesen book and a couple others). Link using the center book. This will take you to a nice little garden called Eder Tsogal. This was one of the Ages that was released during the Gametap tour. There is a puzzle here but you need a couple of players and some coordination to pull it off. Anyway after linking into the Age, head straight forward on the little rock path. Keep going forward past the raised platform and into the puddle/pool of water. The one with the rocks sticking out of it. Behind the tallest rock is your Relto page.

NEW EDITION! Pretty Pictures! And how to tell Eder Tsogal and Eder Delin apart!
    RP4a.jpg
    RP4b.jpg

Alright so the little sapling evergreens aren't enough for you? Head to a Bevin (your's or someone else's) and look in their book room. If the center book has a picture of a snow covered garden, you're in luck. This is the Eder Delin Age. Head for the gazebo and right on the bench is a page that will add some maple trees to your getaway hut.

NEW EDITION! More pretty pictures! And Exciting Bonus Content!!!
    RP3a.jpg
    RP3b.jpg
    RP3c.jpg
    RP3d.jpg

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My guy kinda looks like a History Professor or some such. :P Anyway, I am sporting a stylish DRC Hard Hat and Backpack. My guy is ready for anything!

Axen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You have your Ki? What's your number?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lets see if I got this right. Martyn Almsley #00495770 should be it.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    god I feel stupid, how do you send a tell and and to your buddy list if they're not in the same age?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I opened up my Ki, went to my Buddies list, clicked on your name and just began typing. Didn't hit enter or anything.

Axen on
  • Options
    DamagemanualDamagemanual Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got this installed.
    Seems to run fine for me. I'll add my Ki number when I'm out of work tonight.

Damagemanual on
    3DS Friend Code: 0301-9784-2762
    Pokemon White: 3353-4309-8670

(PM me if you add please)
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I may have to try this. I have always been madly in love with the single player games, though I'm having trouble envisioning how it would work as an MMO.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As I explained to Axem, it's the same thing for the majority of the game except that you have someone to help you and thus are able to skip over certain steps for puzzles.

For example, take Edar Gira and Eder Kemo (the rocky area with the gas vents and waterfalls and the garden it links to). You know how you have to build a bridge to walk over the water so you don't lose the fireflies and you can see your way in the dark?

Normally you have to make your one jump over the water and into the cave so you can go up the path, open the door, and knock down a few more traps to build another bridge then redo the entire thing so that you can make your way to the journey cloth.

With a second player you can just have them move the first bridge into the second position and avoid having to go back for a second set of flies.

Another example is Gahreesen (where you get your Ki). Know how you have to step on the plate, then run around activating switches to raise a gear? With two players, one can just stand on the plate and give the other infinite time.

The only Ages that are mandatory are Eder Tsogal and Eder Delin (the Ages that appear in your Bevin. Age placement is random, you Bevin may have Tsogal and another may have Delin). Those require about two or 3 people and some coordination between them.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DamagemanualDamagemanual Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ki number: 00328928

Damagemanual on
    3DS Friend Code: 0301-9784-2762
    Pokemon White: 3353-4309-8670

(PM me if you add please)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm a big fan of exploration and I love Sam & Max and Monkey Island. One thing I do not like is illogical and needlessly complex puzzles. I tend to just look up a guide if I notice one is too complex for me to keep track of without needing a notebook. I know I know I'm doing it wrong, but my mind has troubles focusing anyway and I don't want to waste too much thoughts on videogames.

So how is this game with its puzzles? Am I going to enjoy it without wasting hours on it?

Oh and how are the graphics? Myst was world famous for being one of the first games to be visually pleasing...

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The puzzle are. . . well "Myst" like. It's not easy. At least not for me. However if you can pay attention to detail (and don't mind a little trial and error) the game does give you all the secrets to solve the puzzles.

Example would be this cave I was in. It had cave paintings of some weird symbols, but I actually didn't pay it much mind. Later on in that Age I came across some gauges that had the same symbol that was in the cave. So I go back there and sure enough, it turned out the cave paintings told me what to do with the gauges.

Though most of the "big" puzzles are not that easy, but the answers usually are laying around somewhere.

Axen on