Options

White [chat]findel Sucks

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Huffington Post's "Demystifying Hard Things to Cook". First thing on the list is a poached egg. First thing that's wrong. It's even easier to cook than they detail.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    So, starting new job tomorrow, and went to Express to pick up some business casual pieces. I don't have a camera for picses, so, let's say it was $489.

And here I am thinking I'm Mr. Big Dick having just dropped 200$ online for a couple of button ups.

One of them is colored Caviar. The other? Mulberry.

really? you bought a pink and a purple button-up at $100 a pop?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Do you keep a journal? Even when your head isn't fuzzy your thoughts are more easily understandable written down.

I've been thinking I should start doing this. It's just a matter of getting to the notebook fast enough before the thoughts are gone with me thinking 'I need to write this down'.

Get something small that you can keep on you more easily?

Yah, I'll check at Borders, they had some tiny notebooks on sale a couple days ago.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love the silly goose rules, I just wish they were enforced with a harder fist.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    yeah i guess the distinction between his review philosophy and his preference makes sense. i feel that i have been misled in the past by his reviews, because there are plenty of films that achieve what they are trying to do but that i don't like what they were trying to do.

I can understand that. And honestly there have been plenty of times I have violently disagreed with him. I just appreciate that he generally puts his reasons for liking or not liking a movie out there in the review, even if it's just "I just got done sitting through a four-day film festival and god help me, I wanted something with explosions" or "I can't hate a movie with an actress who is this stacked." Paraphrased, but the latter is something he has more or less actually said on a couple of occasions.

with some other dudes, like the Village Voice douches or a couple of the people at the NY Times, I get the feeling they're constantly looking over their shoulder toward their old film school professor - that if they liked a movie but consider it beneath them, or disagree with its politics, or otherwise worry what people might think of them for liking it, they will be dishonest about their reaction.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    So, starting new job tomorrow, and went to Express to pick up some business casual pieces. I don't have a camera for picses, so, let's say it was $489.

And here I am thinking I'm Mr. Big Dick having just dropped 200$ online for a couple of button ups.

One of them is colored Caviar. The other? Mulberry.

really? you bought a pink and a purple button-up at $100 a pop?

Basically.

Both are purple. The Caviar was very very dark, which I liked, and the Mulberry was just a weird color that I never see. Actually it's kinda similar to this forum scheme.

I did get a 19.99$ Polo because they were on sale.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I love the silly goose rules, I just wish they were enforced with a harder fist.

They make insults more intesresting.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do you keep a journal? Even when your head isn't fuzzy your thoughts are more easily understandable written down.

I've been thinking I should start doing this. It's just a matter of getting to the notebook fast enough before the thoughts are gone with me thinking 'I need to write this down'.

Get something small that you can keep on you more easily?

Yah, I'll check at Borders, they had some tiny notebooks on sale a couple days ago.

Get a moleskin and be a hipster.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure i didn't post any insults in that gap but i was hoping the goose rule was just a brief and whimsical experiment

i think it's been pretty good for the forum

I would normally have to ask where the kool-aid was but given the past couple of weeks I would have to agree that the rule has made the forum seem a little more tame.

yeah my initial reaction was that it was a dumb rule and what was definitive about this place was that people were abusive to each other in argumentation

and then i realized that when the PA forums were established, it was kind of a novel and iconoclastic way to run a forum, but now, people being abusive cockholes to each other along with their argumentation is the standard in every single website with comments enabled out there, from youtube to huffpo to the new york times.

and maybe it's time for us to evolve a little.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2010

What did you get for that much?

A mess of pants, a whole mess of shirts, +1 tie, +belt. I'm really glad they've started doing fitted XS shirts; they are so fucking sweet.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Jacob that is horrible news about Didio. On the plus side, Johns seems like a much better bet for creative director of DC. At least Didio won't be sticking his spacker oar into the comics now.

That's true, and it's the take some other folk have had on it as well. I run hot and cold on Johns but I have to say that at least he doesn't come off like a giant weenus the way Didio does.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »

2Blm

edit: first page of GIS for Silly Goose. Heh, kind of funny, forgot all about Big Gay Al using that phrase.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Get a moleskin and be a hipster.

I don't like the moleskins, the spines are too stiff. I prefer spiral binding since I tend to fold the covers all the way 'round while I'm writing.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well it helps this forum keep on track, though some people still don't follow them, its a lot better.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Tea is delicious.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    weenus is an underused insult

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

A mess of pants, a whole mess of shirts, +1 tie, +belt. I'm really glad they've started doing fitted XS shirts; they are so fucking sweet.

Cool. What color palette did you go for?

Also, I didn't realize you were so tiny.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yeah my initial reaction was that it was a dumb rule and what was definitive about this place was that people were abusive to each other in argumentation

and then i realized that when the PA forums were established, it was kind of a novel and iconoclastic way to run a forum, but now, people being abusive cockholes to each other along with their argumentation is the standard in every single website with comments enabled out there, from youtube to huffpo to the new york times.

and maybe it's time for us to evolve a little.

In my experience I have to say that weird and arbitrary rules like Tube's - a generally whimsical-dictatorial tone - really help foster better foruming environments. In other contexts I don't enjoy feeling like I am utterly at someone's arbitrary mercy, but it really does wonders for nipping _J_-like legal eagles in the bud.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    disctrict nine was gross

and disappointing

pfffft

pfffffffffffft

The previews made it look like it was going to be done like a documentary, and the apartheid analogy implied that the plot was going to be historic in scope. I was hoping to see a Nelson Mandela figure, or a peaceful resistance, or an armed rebellion, or something of that nature.

Instead, the movie decided to drop the fake-documentary pretext about halfway through. At that point on, it's a mildly interesting sci-fi action movie with a hackneyed premise. I dislike it when movies pull a bait-and-switch on me, because it makes me feel like there was a better movie trying to get made, but the studio said, "Hey, let's have some more CGI robots and big guns."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    yeah i guess the distinction between his review philosophy and his preference makes sense. i feel that i have been misled in the past by his reviews, because there are plenty of films that achieve what they are trying to do but that i don't like what they were trying to do.

I can understand that. And honestly there have been plenty of times I have violently disagreed with him. I just appreciate that he generally puts his reasons for liking or not liking a movie out there in the review, even if it's just "I just got done sitting through a four-day film festival and god help me, I wanted something with explosions" or "I can't hate a movie with an actress who is this stacked." Paraphrased, but the latter is something he has more or less actually said on a couple of occasions.

with some other dudes, like the Village Voice douches or a couple of the people at the NY Times, I get the feeling they're constantly looking over their shoulder toward their old film school professor - that if they liked a movie but consider it beneath them, or disagree with its politics, or otherwise worry what people might think of them for liking it, they will be dishonest about their reaction.

yeah i think this is fair. i generally at this point will only read a movie review after i have seen the movie, because i like to go into the viewing without too much foreknowledge. thus my motivations for reading the review is to kind of educate myself as to the film critic's fancy NYU film education. so the insufferable NYT kinds of reviewers are generally better for that kind of thing

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    weenus is an underused insult

That's what I was thinking too

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    time to start ME2 playthough number 5

or is it six

Elendil on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Why the hell do I keep getting Paragon points? I haven't done a single thing worthy of them.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    time to start ME2 playthough number 5

or is it six

God you must hate that game to play it so much (using the me 2 thread as guidance).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Why the hell do I keep getting Paragon points? I haven't done a single thing worthy of them.

Some quests/outcomes give you both, I know I got renegade points and I didn't do anything renegadish.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    disctrict nine was gross

and disappointing

pfffft

pfffffffffffft

The previews made it look like it was going to be done like a documentary, and the apartheid analogy implied that the plot was going to be historic in scope. I was hoping to see a Nelson Mandela figure, or a peaceful resistance, or an armed rebellion, or something of that nature.

Instead, the movie decided to drop the fake-documentary pretext about halfway through. At that point on, it's a mildly interesting sci-fi action movie with a hackneyed premise. I dislike it when movies pull a bait-and-switch on me, because it makes me feel like there was a better movie trying to get made, but the studio said, "Hey, let's have some more CGI robots and big guns."

yeah i did not like the direction they took the last 1/3 of the movie, but i thought that the first half was good enough to justify the film

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Well it helps this forum keep on track, though some people still don't follow them, its a lot better.

Personal insults really shouldn't be involved in a debate anyways.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Hey, those are from you just being you, killer.

:)

Sheep on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh you fucknugget cockholsters!

I think I am doing this wrong.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Johannen wrote: »

Oh joh you rebel.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ech. I hate games that're based on so much random chance. Stupid Hearts.

At least Rummy is a game I can actually win. :P

Passerbye on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Johannen wrote: »

Unless you went to McDonalds and purchased dildo accessories, yes you are.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Its good to have you back Joh

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, the dude is a special effects guru so honestly he probably thought of the first half of the movie as the necessary eating of one's vegetables before getting to the good stuff. And I have to say that while I didn't think the movie lived up to its potential I still very much enjoyed the robosplosions. They felt grounded and tangible in a way almost no hollywood fight scene has been able to in years.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2010

Cool. What color palette did you go for?

Also, I didn't realize you were so tiny.

Blues, purples, whites, striped of the above + black/green, etc. I could check, but it's far away from me.

I do remember them all looking great in the mirror, so, hooray!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

Some quests/outcomes give you both, I know I got renegade points and I didn't do anything renegadish.

After every other dialogue, I get Paragon points on top of my usual renegade. Just because I used the middle option like once, and not for taking-stances dialogue either. It can just be a normal question, but because I was genuinely interested in knowing something and didn't go for the snide option - I must be a decent guy?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    that was fast

Elendil on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I fear that most communities without proper moderation will become nothing more than cesspits of abuse and "ZOMG I IS RIGHTS U IS WRONGSS!!!!" attitudes.

Thankfully forums shouldn't suffer from that if they're cared for.

WMain00 on
This discussion has been closed.