As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comics: 4-11-07

2»

• Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    Did Astonishing just stop coming out? Or did I miss one? Or maybe both?

I thought it switched to bi-monthly.

Yes

According to Whedon, it was Marvel's decision

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Since there's no best moments thread an I'm in a hurry.

Punisher War Journal
    I'm going to Mexico and I'm gonna shoot that guy in the face.

Nothing surprising. Nothing different from every other issue of Punisher, but its just so right.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    DC COMICS

FEB070241 52 WEEK #49 $2.50
    OCT060165 ALL STAR SUPERMAN #7 $2.99

MARVEL COMICS

JAN072378 IRON MAN #16 $2.99
    FEB072141 NEW AVENGERS #29 CWI $2.99
    FEB072143 NOVA #1 $2.99
    FEB072145 PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #6 $2.99
    FEB072160 UNCANNY X-MEN #485 $2.99

Shit, I meant to get New X-Men.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Since there's no best moments thread an I'm in a hurry.

Punisher War Journal
    I'm going to Mexico and I'm gonna shoot that guy in the face.

Nothing surprising. Nothing different from every other issue of Punisher, but its just so right.
    That's your strategy?! Go Conan on him with a box?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »

Yes

When I was at my local shop last week the guy that works there said he heard that Marvel moved to bi-monthly because Millar and Hitch are taking the book over when Whedon's done. Anyone hear anything to that effect?

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yes

When I was at my local shop last week the guy that works there said he heard that Marvel moved to bi-monthly because Millar and Hitch are taking the book over when Whedon's done. Anyone hear anything to that effect?

No. He had to be fucking with you. That sounds like a terrible idea.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

Yes

No. He had to be fucking with you. That sounds like a terrible idea.

Oh i know its a terrible idea, but history has taught me that comic companies LOVE to put terrible ideas into action.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    New Avengers was all my moments of the week...besides Nova.
    Danny standing up to Tony, Tony's worst fear being Cap coming back to kick his ass, and Dr. Strange.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    I missed that the first issue of Spider-Man/FF was out today. It was a fun, angst-free read.

Plus, you can't go wierong with Wieringo. :lol:

DMAC on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Moment of the week for me: Last page in Teen Titans

holy fuckawesome

also
    Duela switching sides at the drop of a hat

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Green Lantern Corps- Brought to you by the masterful Dave Gibbons and brilliant Patrick Gleason, Green Lantern Corps is a non-stop thrillride that turns all your preconceived notions upside down! Spotlighting several characters, including newcomers Iolande, Natu, and Vath, and old-timers such as the Green Man and Stel, this book has something for everybody! The plot focuses on a prophecy that foretold the destruction of the Corps many years ago, in a story that references Alan Moore's infamous tale of Abin Sur's death, as pieces of the story slowly fall into place. A true masterwork, Green Lantern Corps is brilliant as a shining star, and while you may not need a Green Lantern's light to see how amazing it is, you will need the willpower of one to resist it! A+

She-Hulk- Continuing the World Without a Hulk storyline, wherein the titular She-Hulk is forced to track down the Hulk's foes in his absence, this story continues to thrill. Dan Slott delivers a smart, cheeky story with plenty of action illustrated in the slightly cartoonish style of Rick Burchett! And while the main story focuses on Jen Walters' hunt for the Hulk's enemies, it also makes time to showcase the new Hulkbuster Unit, which will undoubtedly play into Marvel's upcoming event, World War Hulk, and even devotes a few pages to the Two Gun Kid and his irate companion, Mallory Book! Truly a great book that's finally beginning to recover from a string of poor stories, this book is one to watch! And while the story may be called World Without a Hulk, it's a World Without a She-Hulk that I'd be worried about! So pony up the green and help keep this book alive. It should be a real smash! A-

Loners- Spinning out of Runaways, this book, penned by C.B. Cebulski and artist Karl Moline, is a book that hits highs and lows faster than Julie Power! Focusing on a group of former superheroes who want to kick their crimefighting habit, this book is beautiful from cover to cover, and is driven by a strong, interesting plot, focused around an east-coast gang's attempt to expand west in the absence of the Pride, flooding the streets with Mutant Growth Hormone. Unfortunately, the book is hampered by unnatural, stilted dialogue that stumbles along like it got punched in the kisser by Ricochet. Still, it's a good, solid book, something you'll want in your collection. Trust me, you'll be lonesome without it! B

Munch on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    She-Hulk needs a to start visiting a sex-oholics clinic.

Juggernaut is bad enough, but going after wolverine, then sleeping with Tony Stark? I mean what the fuck.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, you know, it's She-Hulk. She likes the penis. Jen Walters? Not so much.

And this is Tony Stark we're talking about. I mean, he'd fuck anything with a decent rack and a loose libido.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, you know, it's She-Hulk. She likes the penis. Jen Walters? Not so much.

And this is Tony Stark we're talking about. I mean, he'd fuck anything with a decent rack and a loose libido.

I'm not surprised at Tony. Tony is the biggest slut ever. He is single handedly replacing all the lives lost in Standford by sexing all their families. But I though Sulkies would have some standards.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Does the She-Hulk transformation result in a change of behavior beyond what would result from the average increase in confidence?

It's not a case of, "She-Hulk HORNY!", right?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh thank God, I was considering dropping GLC after that last arc. Cheers for the good word on that, Munch, and also on She-Hulk, which I was going to drop too.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Loners- Spinning out of Runaways, this book, penned by C.B. Cebulski and artist Karl Moline, is a book that hits highs and lows faster than Julie Power! Focusing on a group of former superheroes who want to kick their crimefighting habit, this book is beautiful from cover to cover, and is driven by a strong, interesting plot, focused around an east-coast gang's attempt to expand west in the absence of the Pride, flooding the streets with Mutant Growth Hormone. Unfortunately, the book is hampered by unnatural, stilted dialogue that stumbles along like it got punched in the kisser by Ricochet. Still, it's a good, solid book, something you'll want in your collection. Trust me, you'll be lonesome without it! B

Oh, god, the dialog in Loners was so bad. "You're like the pot calling the kettle black-and-blue!" Coming from Darkhawk? What the fuck?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    She-Hulk- Continuing the World Without a Hulk storyline, wherein the titular She-Hulk is forced to track down the Hulk's foes in his absence, this story continues to thrill. Dan Slott delivers a smart, cheeky story with plenty of action illustrated in the slightly cartoonish style of Rick Burchett! And while the main story focuses on Jen Walters' hunt for the Hulk's enemies, it also makes time to showcase the new Hulkbuster Unit, which will undoubtedly play into Marvel's upcoming event, World War Hulk, and even devotes a few pages to the Two Gun Kid and his irate companion, Mallory Book! Truly a great book that's finally beginning to recover from a string of poor stories, this book is one to watch! And while the story may be called World Without a Hulk, it's a World Without a She-Hulk that I'd be worried about! So pony up the green and help keep this book alive. It should be a real smash! A-

I see you avoided commenting about the art in this review.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

I think the dude's okay. Not great, but he's got a nice, clean style that doesn't turn the book into a big T&A fest.

And did nobody get that I was kind of going for that bombastic, overhyped, punny movie reviewer vibe with my reviews? I mean, jeez.
    Munch wrote:
    Unfortunately, the book is hampered by unnatural, stilted dialogue that stumbles along like it got punched in the kisser by Ricochet. Still, it's a good, solid book, something you'll want in your collection. Trust me, you'll be lonesome without it!
    Munch wrote:
    Green Lantern Corps is brilliant as a shining star, and while you may not need a Green Lantern's light to see how amazing it is, you will need the willpower of one to resist it!

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Buy GLC, or I'll murder your children and bury their dismembered remains underneath my Gardner!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I bought and read Fell. I liked it and I'm not exactly sure why. Is there a plot or was this particular issue just a day-in-the-life for the main character?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Each issue is self contained, but also works in a chronological order. Go back some issues and you'll understand his and Mayko's relationship a little better.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    So I bought and read Fell. I liked it and I'm not exactly sure why. Is there a plot or was this particular issue just a day-in-the-life for the main character?

As Ellis explained in the backnotes, this issue was basically him taking it easy after a really text-heavy issue 7.

Each issue has its own self-contained plot, but there is continuity between them.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

I think the dude's okay. Not great, but he's got a nice, clean style that doesn't turn the book into a big T&A fest.

And did nobody get that I was kind of going for that bombastic, overhyped, punny movie reviewer vibe with my reviews? I mean, jeez.
    Munch wrote:
    Unfortunately, the book is hampered by unnatural, stilted dialogue that stumbles along like it got punched in the kisser by Ricochet. Still, it's a good, solid book, something you'll want in your collection. Trust me, you'll be lonesome without it!
    Munch wrote:
    Green Lantern Corps is brilliant as a shining star, and while you may not need a Green Lantern's light to see how amazing it is, you will need the willpower of one to resist it!

We all noticed, Munch. We just didn't care.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End- Pretty much sucked. I mean, it can gobble a mean Man-Thing (also on sale this week!), but when you get right down to it Bloods End just lacks any kind of wit or charm. You can safely miss this one. F

Munch on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    :zzz:

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hey look it's Bad Karma.

hi Bad Karma.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey look it's Bad Karma.

hi Bad Karma.

:rotate:

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, Trials of Shazam was pretty good. Hercules looked like a straight thug and the white chick with the grey dredlocks got punked by her superiors. And I'm still liking it better than Monster Society of Evil.

Blade was pretty good as well. I dunno, lots of people are still hating on this book but, imo, it's gotten tons better since the first issue. Seeing Blade and Hannibal King tag team a near invincible vampire was fun, and it opens the door for Blade to get much, much stronger. Too bad sales aren't going to keep it going for too much longer, since Guggenheim seems to be taking the book to some interesting places.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just finished New Avengers. I was thinking to myself, sure, that's great and all but Tony's gonna look a Damn fool when the Hulk comes back all smart from chilling with the Panchem Lama. And then:
    I remember that that only happend in Ultimate continuity. And I die inside.
    Yay for two Leinil Yu titles this week.
    Which Fallen Son is Cassaday doing?

Edit: Err, yay for one Yu title this week and yay for one from last week? Yay?

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The Strange spook out scene in NA had one moment that just ruined the entire thing for me.
    Wasps worst fear is Hank. God fucking dammit.

I miss Kurt Busiek.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Who knows what about her worst fear:
    Could be just that Pym's what Strange decided to show her...
    I don't know I'm not that familiar with Strange or if Miftana Fantadada has history of use in the series. It's prolly just Bendis being cute. And bald.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Don't think it was fear of Hank so much as fear of feeling that powerless again.

I mean, if we're rationalizing stuff.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    I missed that the first issue of Spider-Man/FF was out today. It was a fun, angst-free read.

Plus, you can't go wierong with Wieringo. :lol:
    Why does everyone jerk off their dicks to Wieringo

I mean

yeah he's a good artists and all

I certainly enjoy his work

it just seems everyone would give him a blowjob if they got the chance

and I would not be down for that

Sars_Boy on