Options

Thanks, [chat]

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guess I'm getting drunk tonight.

Oh well...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2010
    scientists love to complain about how they can't explain science to people without them getting it wrong while simultaneously complaining about how no one in this country likes science

yeah it is a problem.

i think the bigger problem is that there are few really good popularizers of science, and a lot of shitty charlatans. Sagan and Feynman were great popularizers, whereas stuff from those dudes who do like the Tao of Quantum or whatever other new age bullshit tends to be the stuff that i hear around.

QM was fucking hard to learn and understand. i still only have a pretty limited understanding of it overall, and this was after studying it in detail for years. so it's annoying when i hear it invoked inappropriately to make some unrelated point.

i mean you study history, right eddy? don't you get annoyed when people get historical facts and interpretation flat-out wrong but use it as evidence to back up some equally wrong point?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Somebody motivate me to write this tiny piece of text about the problems of applying the Coase theorem to reality

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    It's not. Because it doesn't really represent comics, does it? It's in comic form but I don't think it is a standard around which comics could come to rally. It's pretty much a deconstruction of comic-making.

In fact, I almost responded to the guy that originally suggested Watchmen to Podly a page back and said "um well Watchmen is a comic, but not really a good example..."

It is excellent at what it is. But what it is is unlike most comics. Isn't that more or less right? I don't really read comics, but that is what I understand.

I dunno, I can only speak for myself.

It is definitely in comic form. It is also definitely a comic.

However, it is supposed to basically be making a point about super-heroes which you don't get as well if you aren't already familiar with a lot of comics, particularly Batman.

I didn't like it because it felt overly pretentious to me. Others disagree, and that's fine, but I wouldn't call it "not a comic".

Nostregar on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    I have a huge to do list today and I don't want to do any of it

options?

Procrastinate
    Masturbate
    Play video games...ate

Get a copy of Bayonetta and masturbate while playing it?

you all are still fappin' to that game?

Why? Has a hotter video-game chick come out yet?

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zach Galafianakas is hosting SNL?

This is either going to end terribly or be the best episode of SNL ever.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a huge to do list today and I don't want to do any of it

options?

Procrastinate
    Masturbate
    Play video games...ate

Get a copy of Bayonetta and masturbate while playing it?

you all are still fappin' to that game?

I don't even own it. I'm just thinking of the most recent example of a game that would most likely allow you to do both. I'm sure if you talk to Klyka he could give you some pointers. :P

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »

Or both

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

oh my god

i have to see this

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They should make the Watchmen movie into a comic book!

Well there is going to be a watchmen sequel that will become a comic book last i heard soooo

mission accomplished

WTF

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

This actually happened with Road to Perdition. Though thats one of the times I prefered the movie adapation to the source.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    scientists love to complain about how they can't explain science to people without them getting it wrong while simultaneously complaining about how no one in this country likes science

yeah it is a problem.

i think the bigger problem is that there are few really good popularizers of science, and a lot of shitty charlatans. Sagan and Feynman were great popularizers, whereas stuff from those dudes who do like the Tao of Quantum or whatever other new age bullshit tends to be the stuff that i hear around.

QM was fucking hard to learn and understand. i still only have a pretty limited understanding of it overall, and this was after studying it in detail for years. so it's annoying when i hear it invoked inappropriately to make some unrelated point.

i mean you study history, right eddy? don't you get annoyed when people get historical facts and interpretation flat-out wrong but use it as evidence to back up some equally wrong point?

bring back bill nye

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Well there is going to be a watchmen sequel that will become a comic book last i heard soooo

mission accomplished

I thought that rumor was debunked.

Gonmun on
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

This actually happened with Road to Perdition. Though thats one of the times I prefered the movie adapation to the source.

Most people don't know about it, but in addition to the comic and the movie there is also the Watchmen Motion Comic.

It is, in my opinion, the best presentation of Watchmen out of the three options.

Edit: Which is to say, I liked it the most.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

mission accomplished

PHEW

Arch on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Judgement wrote: »
    @Podly: If you ever do want to start reading comics, I highly recommend Watchmen. It's bloody fantastic.

Bleh.

Not as good as its made out to be.

Watchmen is indeed fantastic, but it's also very subversive. I don't mean politically subversive (though it is that) but artistically subversive; Moore/Gibbons were deliberately undermining the superhero as a noble figure.

I'm well aware of what it was doing and why.

I just don't think it did it that well, and wasn't that great.

I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying it isn't the Comics Holy Bible that many people make it out to be.

My comment was directed more towards Podly. I'm not saying that subversive == good. (Although, personally, subversiveness goes a long way towards appealing to my tastes.)

I think appreciating just how subversive it was requires putting it in context of when it was published. The 90s were full of dark superheroes and villains. Some of them had been around for years prior but gained notoriety in the late 80s and early 90s (Punisher, for instance) and others were new creations (like Spawn). None of those series would have existed if it weren't for two titles: Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. They injected a complexity into comics storylines that I think directly fueled the renewed success of the industry in the 90s.

But to us the brooding flawed anti-hero hero is old hat, there's nothing interesting about it. That wasn't the case when Watchmen was published.

On top of that, there's a timeless quality to the Watchmen that I appreciate. It's deeply steeped in the time period in which it was produced; it is definitely a product of the 80s. But on top of that it's a treatise on power and responsibility that transcends the time period in which its written.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Kingdom Come was a good response to Watchmen and Frank Miller, I thought

i hadn't really considered this.

it had too many characters, though, and was too referential to DC mythology for me to really get it at a story level.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't even own it. I'm just thinking of the most recent example of a game that would most likely allow you to do both. I'm sure if you talk to Klyka he could give you some pointers. :P

"See what you have to do is a flip kick demon slut drag which will put her vag close to her mouth so you can imagine she's eating herself out, that gets you a half stock, then do a split whore ass to ass (at this point she should have the demon cock half in her ass and vag) which will help you start stroking, I'll include a list of moves that can be completed with one hand so as to best keep your combo and stroking going."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Really? I never read the comic, forgot it was one. I also pretty much hated the movie, if memory serves. I'd have to watch it again. I thought it was stylish. But not enjoyable.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also this response to the post i reported for awesome made me chuckle

where is smurph he needs to see it

Arch on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Road to Perdition was a graphic novel first

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

it had too many characters, though, and was too referential to DC mythology for me to really get it at a story level.

This is really my problem with most modern serialized comics ala DC etc that feature the major heroes/characters

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Most people don't know about it, but in addition to the comic and the movie there is also the Watchmen Motion Comic.

It is, in my opinion, the best presentation of Watchmen out of the three options.

Edit: Which is to say, I liked it the most.

It wasn't too bad, but I didn't think it was a stretch to have more then one voice actor working on it. I realize it was pretty much a narration but still.

Gonmun on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

"See what you have to do is a flip kick demon slut drag which will put her vag close to her mouth so you can imagine she's eating herself out, that gets you a half stock, then do a split whore ass to ass (at this point she should have the demon cock half in her ass and vag) which will help you start stroking, I'll include a list of moves that can be completed with one hand so as to best keep your combo and stroking going."

"BAM!"

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yes and that got retranslated from the movie to a comic.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah it is a problem.

I have a couple of books by Asimov explaining science that I thought were pretty good. But they were probably out of date when I read them more than a decade ago.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

yeah it is a problem.

Dawkins is an awesome popularizer of science too, but his ability to do that is hampered by his reputation as an aggressive atheist. Last time I recommended The Blind Watchmaker and The Selfish Gene to someone, they were all "what, isn't that just evangelical atheism disguised as biology?"

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yes and that got retranlated from the movie to a comic.

When are they making that into a movie?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We "exist" at a scale of metaphysics. However, metaphysics was created. We can move past it. QM, I think, will help give us a paradigm to understand how to move past it.

i have no idea what this means.

i am saying that regardless of whether things like the forward-flow of time, causality, or position/ velocity precision exist in the world of quantum particles, they absolutely do exist at the scales where we exist.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish there were some good pop philosophy. All that I know about math and science has more or less come from pop non-fiction, and I'd like to think that I have at least a decent understanding of some of the big themes. Pop philosophy tends to be utter turd. It's extremely inconvenient, because I always have friends or people at the bar being like "oh, what's a book that you'd recommend" and I'm like "ahhhhhhh start with plato and work your way down?" It sucks. I wish I had a better answer, but Sophie's World and On Bullshit are not that fucking answer.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

on a story level it's actually not particularly good, but I enjoyed the meta-narrative, where Superman retreats because he can no longer handle the hyperviolent stories he's being written into and the top grossing comics are Image rags where the main characters are amoral killers. It's Neoclassical nostalgia for an earlier age of the genre.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know what was awesome when I was a kid? Darkwing Duck. They should make that into a movie.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

mission accomplished

PHEW

Yeah, last month CBR had a quote from the studio saying they had no plans of making a sequel. Pretty much cut that off at the pass.

Gonmun on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    yeah it is a problem.

I have a couple of books by Asimov explaining science that I thought were pretty good. But they were probably out of date when I read them more than a decade ago.

Some of Sagan's books are even outdated

For instance, I was reading Dragons of Eden and I didn't really ever finish it because it was pretty out of date. Not his fault, but talking about the triune brain bothers me

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

Yes and that got retranlated from the movie to a comic.

When are they making that into a movie?

Hehe, I actually heard their were sequel rumors.

The major difference between the source and th movie is dialogue, in the movie dialogue fills up like 2 pages, where as in the comics the characters are extremely verbose. I prefer the movie because of that, Hanks says volumes with his facial expressions.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Judgement wrote: »
    @Podly: If you ever do want to start reading comics, I highly recommend Watchmen. It's bloody fantastic.

Bleh.

Not as good as its made out to be.

Watchmen is indeed fantastic, but it's also very subversive. I don't mean politically subversive (though it is that) but artistically subversive; Moore/Gibbons were deliberately undermining the superhero as a noble figure.

I'm well aware of what it was doing and why.

I just don't think it did it that well, and wasn't that great.

I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying it isn't the Comics Holy Bible that many people make it out to be.

My comment was directed more towards Podly. I'm not saying that subversive == good. (Although, personally, subversiveness goes a long way towards appealing to my tastes.)

I think appreciating just how subversive it was requires putting it in context of when it was published. The 90s were full of dark superheroes and villains. Some of them had been around for years prior but gained notoriety in the late 80s and early 90s (Punisher, for instance) and others were new creations (like Spawn). None of those series would have existed if it weren't for two titles: Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. They injected a complexity into comics storylines that I think directly fueled the renewed success of the industry in the 90s.

But to us the brooding flawed anti-hero hero is old hat, there's nothing interesting about it. That wasn't the case when Watchmen was published.

On top of that, there's a timeless quality to the Watchmen that I appreciate. It's deeply steeped in the time period in which it was produced; it is definitely a product of the 80s. But on top of that it's a treatise on power and responsibility that transcends the time period in which its written.

I do understand the context in which it was published. I also get that it was relatively new for its time. I did not dislike it because I thought it was unoriginal.

I mean, you seem to think that the only reason I could possibly dislike it is that I don't "get it."

I do get it. I just don't think it's that great.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i really liked Road to Perdition, but that was a good long time ago

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish there were some good pop philosophy. All that I know about math and science has more or less come from pop non-fiction, and I'd like to think that I have at least a decent understanding of some of the big themes. Pop philosophy tends to be utter turd. It's extremely inconvenient, because I always have friends or people at the bar being like "oh, what's a book that you'd recommend" and I'm like "ahhhhhhh start with plato and work your way down?" It sucks. I wish I had a better answer, but Sophie's World and On Bullshit are not that fucking answer.

Yeah, the proper and thorough way is never much fun.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

i feel like this is something i would enjoy writing.

but i'd have to be better at philosophy first.

the "for beginners" series is surprisingly good.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

mission accomplished

PHEW

Yeah, last month CBR had a quote from the studio saying they had no plans of making a sequel. Pretty much cut that off at the pass.

Any sequel without Rorschach would suck anyways.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
This discussion has been closed.