Boston [chat]accre

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    I have to get a cast-iron skillet.

cast iron skillet + salt + steak = bliss

delicious crust. delicious steak

then you can throw some chicken stock on what remains in the skillet. add some mushrooms and slurry

yesss

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    if she can only drink 5:1 juice:alcohol

then she just needs to lrn2alcohol

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Will/Pods one day I will visit one of you and you will make me delicious beverages

Ok?

Arch on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

then you can throw some chicken stock on what remains in the skillet. add some mushrooms and slurry

yesss

Officially hungry now. Thanks.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Oh and everyone, let your steak sit for a while to reach room temperature before frying it, let it sit for a little while after frying it to get more warm in the center

You don't fry steak!

psychotix on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Btw, will you have to pick up some creme yvette. It's so much better than CdV. I wouldn't use it in an aviator, however, because it turns it a bright magenta instead of a hazy blue.

what do you use it in?

also, have you seen any real sloe gin anywhere? I hear that the real stuff is great.

I did a little celebratory cocktail with prosecco, lemon juice, and creme yvette. Easily the best champagne cocktail I've ever had, even better than the french '75. I also did it with equal parts yvette, dry vermouth, and carpano. The rosso vermouth shone through a bit too much (carpano is a stage hog) so I'll have to dial it down, but it was quite good. I'll have to try it with gin.

I've never seen real sloe gin. I debated between getting holland gin (genever, reaaaaaal old school, original gin) and old tom gin. I picked up the old tom because I have more immediate use for it. It's pretty good -- it's much more malty and bushy than london dry. However, it just REEEEEKS of gin, and I had too many bad gin nights freshman year of college, so it was hard to drink it straight without my stomach churning. I could never drink it in a martini.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Hey Valve, let's see if you listen to the BBB now.

Eh?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Oh cool. Again NOT TERRORISM because he was white and being PATRIOTIC and DEFENDING HIS FREEDOM BY GOD

ok, the plane into the IRS building you can call terrorism. this? this wasn't terrorism....
    Was the Fort Hood shooting terrorism? Because I just had to attend a federal briefing that included an "recent acts of terrorism" and it included the Fort Hood shooting.

Bama on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Goddamn, I am starving now. Only 3 hours until lunch...

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

yesss

Officially hungry now. Thanks.

no problem man.

imma take a nap.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    if she can only drink 5:1 juice:alcohol

then she just needs to lrn2alcohol

hence, passion fruit margarita. you can't taste it, it's as fufu limp wristed as it gets.

psychotix on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The sidecar, like most french things,

sucks.

Damn frenchies.

Man, I love Daft Punk.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    Oh and everyone, let your steak sit for a while to reach room temperature before frying it, let it sit for a little while after frying it to get more warm in the center

You don't fry steak!

Sometimes you can.

And a cast iron skillet is one of those times.

You only flip that fucker once though and you don't use any oils or anything.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Since you two are on a similar topic. What's a good drink for a female who hates the taste of alcohol? My girlfriend likes top shelf long islands, but anything else if you can taste the alcohol she almost gags.

try making her a sidecar. it's a respectable drink with a long history - maybe the first cocktail - and fairly gentle-tasting

2 oz cognac or brandy
    1 oz triple sec (cointreau is best)
    1 oz lemon juice

mix with ice. strain, serve

if you want to be fancy, you can rim the glass with sugar and serve with a twist, but i generally don't bother with these

I'll have to give this a shot, as well as the passion fruit one.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Poldy, this Kingston Station place Will wants to take us to after dinner has Sazerac. You're always carrying on about it so I figure I'll try it.

if you are new to the world of cocktails and/ or don't care for whiskey straight, i don't know that i would recommend the sazerac. it's definitely not a "starter".

it's basically rye whiskey with a little absinthe and bitters. so the difference in the taste from just drinking straight whiskey is pretty minor. it's a very strong, hot drink.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Goddamn, I am starving now. Only 3 hours until lunch...

1.5 hours for me

mmm

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

You don't fry steak!

Sometimes you can.

That's not frying, that's searing. Big difference.

psychotix on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

the shooting is much better.

Interesting, how is the squad play? In the first your team was just kind of there bitching at you. Can you keep your guns between levels? Is it freaking easier to spot and shoot enemies from a distance?

You keep your guns beetween levels, enemies don't have terminator sight anymore, your squad moves kind of intelligently, but they're just there as extra guns

also, every now and then you get to choose your loadout from all the guns you have collected

Stop selling me on [chat] bc2 action, Abd. Because you're selling me on it now

desc on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    man, [chat] has been flying the last couple of days. Are kids on spring break already, or what?

Bama on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2010
    Like any real human being, I prefer my steak to be medium rare at most, but I also like eating hot food. I wish there were a way to heat up meat without cooking it.

There is!

run your oven at 200 degrees. real low

season your steak the way you like it

put steak in oven on wire rack for 10 to 20 minutes or so. the point of this step is to dry out the surface of the steak and soften the fats. the oven shouldn't be hot enough to actually cook the meat.

while steak is in the oven, start heating a cast-iron pan. non-stick will probably work too.

take steak out of the oven, brush with oil if desired, and throw it in the super-hot pan. since the surface of the steak is dry, it should make a nice maillard reaction and crust up without overcooking the inside of the steak.

flip steak, cook to desired level, and enjoy

knowing how long to keep the steak in the oven and how long to cook it in the pan takes a little practice and depends on personal preference and the cut of meat. but this really makes for a magnificent steak.

this

this is a good post

it works really well!

i think i got it from either alton brown or else cook's monthly

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    it's a respectable drink with a long history - maybe the first cocktail

where did you get this information? Because the sidecar originally would have been a sling, not a cocktail.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Oh cool. Again NOT TERRORISM because he was white and being PATRIOTIC and DEFENDING HIS FREEDOM BY GOD

ok, the plane into the IRS building you can call terrorism. this? this wasn't terrorism....
    Was the Fort Hood shooting terrorism? Because I just had to attend a federal briefing that included an "recent acts of terrorism" and it included the Fort Hood shooting.

didn't he actually have links with terrorists though?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I consider it terrorism

he wasn't white remember

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BTW, duders, I'm thinking about starting a blog. It would probably not be dedicated finding and inventing cocktails, because there's so many fantastic blogs for that. Rather, it would probably be a "Shoot out!" style, where I compare different elements and give opinions and such. My first post would probably be a sazerac shoot out, made with pastis, herbsaint, and absinthe, to see if there is a big difference. Then I would probably compare/contrast creme yvette and creme de violette, perhaps adding in parfait amour for kicks.

i'd be generally interested in this, since i am often at a loss to know which brand is better

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I consider it terrorism

he wasn't white remember

He had links to terrorists overseas. The Pentagon thing was just a nut job.

psychotix on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

You don't fry steak!

whatever, this ain't my language

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Poldy, this Kingston Station place Will wants to take us to after dinner has Sazerac. You're always carrying on about it so I figure I'll try it.

if you are new to the world of cocktails and/ or don't care for whiskey straight, i don't know that i would recommend the sazerac. it's definitely not a "starter".

it's basically rye whiskey with a little absinthe and bitters. so the difference in the taste from just drinking straight whiskey is pretty minor. it's a very strong, hot drink.

WELL I'M A STRONG, HOT MAN.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i'd be generally interested in this, since i am often at a loss to know which brand is better

I'm already dreading the cognac post :P

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I like it pods, its like that...ummm that one cooking magazine

Where they do blind taste tests of recipes with different ingredients/cook ware to see if there is a difference

Arch on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

You don't fry steak!

Sometimes you can.

That's not frying, that's searing. Big difference.

I call that pan frying

also, haven't you ever had chicken fried steak?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Where they do blind taste tests of recipes with different ingredients/cook ware to see if there is a difference

American Test Kitchen.

Huh, I hadn't thought of it, but yeah, it would essentially be a cocktail version of ATK.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    desc wrote: »

There's nothing more satisfying then setting up c4 in the road and waiting for the silly geese to buzz along on an atv. Hitting that trigger and watching them fly...so satisfying.

Gonmun on
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Red-Headed Slut.

Silly name, not a bad drink.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »

There's nothing more satisfying then setting up c4 in the road and waiting for the silly geese to buzz along on an atv. Hitting that trigger and watching them fly...so satisfying.

*post reported to CIA*

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How was Hasan linked to terrorists, again?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

American Test Kitchen.

Huh, I hadn't thought of it, but yeah, it would essentially be a cocktail version of ATK.

I knew it was american something kitchen

I used to get it without the cover so I never could remember

Arch on
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »

Oh my gawd I remember doing this in the Operation Flashpoint sandbox mode. Just kept making convoys and plonking myself with a bunch of remote charges by the side of the road.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I FOUND ALL THOSE MAGAZINES WITHOUT COVERS IN THE TRASH I DIDN'T TAKE THEM ILLEGALLY FROM EARTH FARE

Arch on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I bought very expensive socks today.

japan on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just owned a silly goose in a tank

he had gone around the action, hoping to hit us in the ass

not on my watch