As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Artist's Corner [CHAT] thread

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tynic wrote: »
    except I just found out I left my credit card at a hotel in Cologne and now I probably have to take six or seven hours out of my weekend to head on down there and pick up the friggin thing

Why not cancel it and request a new one at the bank?

I'm guessing it's a matter of convenience. 6 hours vs. the week or more it'll take for the card company to ship a new one out.

I use a debit card, but the principle is the same. If I were without it for any substantial amount of time, things would be rough. I only keep about $20 in my wallet.

MKR on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was assuming that her bank was in the same country... or at the very best... right across the street.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I doubt banks keep card-producing machines in their branches.

MKR on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    I was assuming that her bank was in the same country... or at the very best... right across the street.

haHA! you assumed WRONG!

Nah, cancelling it would be a huge hassle. It's an Australian card, I'm in Germany - best case scenario, it would get mailed out to my australian address and would sit there for months until someone I trusted came over to this continent, plus there could be a bunch of security hoops to jump through. I don't use it much, it's kind of a backup card I use for internet purposes or if the vendor doesn't have eftpos (debit). If I just trust the hotel for a few days, I can pick it up shortly. And I'll be keeping an eye on the account just in case. I think they're cool though.

Although I did accidentally address the hotel owner as 'Frau', so maybe he'll go on a shopping spree as revenge. In my defense, his name was kind of feminine.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its sad, I think that if I ever got into a fist fight with my GF... I'd loose. This week, I'm gonna start working out... again. Somebody support me in my struggle to become a manly man.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good morning PAAC, I made you a fruit smoothie. 1 Whole Banana, 5 Strawberries, and a handful of blackberries, orange juice, milk, vanilla yogurt, and oatmeal. Only the best for my PAAC.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is this a community smoothie? Because I'd like to get in on that. It sounds goddamn delicious.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh man guys, bigby was allowed to explore our bedroom for the first time today and he went wild.
    there is a giant hockey bag in one corner, he decided to make it his fort
    he jumped in it and was rolling around growling and barking at the flaps, it was so cute

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Puppies are the best, what kind of dog is he beavo?

Prospicience on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    he's an english bulldog pup!
    reposting awesome pic:

puppy_6.jpg

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Holy crap... cute'n cuddly incarnate. I just vomited carebears.

e: seriously, he's the cutest damn dog. And the name is perfect.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Maximas how upset are you with Hurt Locker and the Academy right now?

Last time when we talked about it, i don't think he replied to our positive "this is why people like it" points.

I'm fucking pissed. That movie was so fucking vapid and wrong. I have yet to meet anyone actually in the military that liked it.

Honestly I was rooting for District 9, but I knew it wouldn't win.

I think the thing to note is that it wasn't trying to be an actual representation of what life is like over there from a technical standpoint. Fiction/storytelling often overrides actuality for the purposes of making a movie that entertains.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    random: Haha, napp I love your morgan freeman outtake in your newest LP.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I found the hurt locker very meh and entirely forgettable.

Why exactly was everyone flipping their shit about it? It wasn't a realistic representation of bomb defusal, but it also wasn't a adrenaline pumping "oh fuck, a bomb" fictional story about bomb defusal either.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want to build a little stylized 3D environment

so bad :C

Polycount is so cool.

Have you been posting on there?

Also waks! I have starcraft 2! But servers are down. I think

Let's play when i get back from gdc.

PROX on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    guys I'm moved into my new place. Cable guy comes on saturday!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    PROX on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    but I want Boomerang

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    McGibs wrote: »

Why exactly was everyone flipping their shit about it? It wasn't a realistic representation of bomb defusal, but it also wasn't a adrenaline pumping "oh fuck, a bomb" fictional story about bomb defusal either.

2009-12-07-323-Rumble-Dry.gif

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The build up to the "True Story" at the end made me laugh.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just had to look up the viscosity of Vaseline at 70°F

I love my job

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What is the unit of measurement for viscosity?

slippets?

PROX on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We use centiPoise

That's kg/(m*s) if you want nerdspeak

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Woke up from a dream where Eli Roth was my neighbour. Best dream ever.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    McGibs wrote: »

McGibs, you're in Toronto now?

Are you working for a studio up here? We should hang out!

Let me smell your hair.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I love my job

What for?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I love my job

What for?

disturbingly enough, a food processing pump.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I love my job

What for?

disturbingly enough, a food processing pump.

D: WHAT FOR?!?! Oh God, I'm never eating anything again.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PROX wrote: »
    I want to build a little stylized 3D environment

so bad :C

Polycount is so cool.

Have you been posting on there?

No, I'm being a sillypants and not posting any work (or linking to my portfolio) until I've updooted my website with newer work, and gotten rid of some of the old.

Also I'm waiting to have 3D work to show. :P

I've made a couple of posts, but they were all comments/critiques on other people's work.
    bombardier wrote: »
    true story

hahahahaha oh man, I missed that one.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    random: Haha, napp I love your morgan freeman outtake in your newest LP.

Thanks! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

[tiny]god i really need to make another set don't i[/tiny]

@tense or not for the Hurt Locker: I suppose it comes down to personal opinion on that one. Hell, I know people who think Jaws and Alien are boring movies. I'm not sure how... but they do.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I actually completely disagree with what you said earlier (I don't feel like finding the post). I think the movie was completely intended to be as realistic as possible, it just failed miserably. The whole thing's selling point is that it was written by some douchebag embedded journalist. (Isn't the studio being sued by a soldier that claims the movie is about him?)

On a side note, my strip just got a story in the biggest paper in the military. I've already gotten 7,000 hits today and it's only 9am!

Edit:

Link added.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've got to admit, embedded journalists are the worst thing in the history of the military.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Making the movie seem realistic and actually being realistic are two wholly separate things. By seeming realistic (in the way the footage was shot, shooting more or less on location, having characters who respond to insanity in the way that the audience would/is) helps the audience get into the movie.

Actually being realistic would have the audience bored out of their minds as 99% of the movie would be the guys sitting at the base or driving around the town looking at people. Realistic or not, that doesn't make for a good movie.

in other words, its striving to make you think it is realistic so that you feel for the characters when they are put in extreme situations.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't seen the Hurt Locker and probably won't even bother, I am just so god damned happy that a female director won. I have friends who are going into the movie industry and are REALLY amazing but were pretty hopeless because chicks aren't really taken that seriously as directors and fuck, this just means so much.

Also I am happy that Waltz got his Oscar. I was hoping for Basterds as my personal favourite, but wasn't expecting it to win or anything.

edit: seriously

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUbGcRJUDu0

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You should watch The Hurt Locker. Its definatly worth one go. Just don't expect it to be "THIS IS THE WAR WE ARE IN" documentary lite.

Its an action movie and it doesn't really try to hide that fact.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Hey, you know how comedians are always implying that people on The Dating Game are serial killers in their act?

Yeah.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    JaredJared Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whenever I hear about movie studios getting sued because their movie was based on someone else, I think of a weird hybrid of the Davinci Code case (Oh No, You can't Copyright history!) and that weird Harry Potter versus Larry Potter thing. (Wiki Link here, it's the 1st Legal Dispute listed)

On the plus side, I had no idea what an embedded Journalist was until just now.
    Congrats on the story Maxi....and very weird niche you have there. But cool.
    -Jared
    "who knows nothing of the military beyond German mandatory service"

Jared on
    Who doesn't have a website these days? (Head Injury Theater)
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Holy sweet, Steam and Source (meaning HL2/TF2/L4D/Portal) are releasing on Mac in April. Valve is going to make a killing with that.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hey, you know how comedians are always implying that people on The Dating Game are serial killers in their act?

Yeah.

I'm not sure what is more fucked up.

That comedy bits are apparently true or that this guy raped an 8 year old girl and then went on to win The Dating Game.

Didn't they do background checks? My God

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Yeah.

I'm not sure what is more fucked up.

That comedy bits are apparently true or that this guy raped an 8 year old girl and then went on to win The Dating Game.

Didn't they do background checks? My God

What bothers me worse is how goddamn creepy the guy was and he still won.

I noticed the female contestant couldn't be reached to comment on her monumentally bad decision making skills, the stupid slut.

Metalbourne on
This discussion has been closed.