Options

[STEAM] coming to Mac in "April" (See Valve Time)

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    donhonk wrote: »
    Euphoriac wrote: »

NOTHING like Steam at all. I'm never trusting another digital service. Fuccckckckckkk

PLEASE DONT BE IGNORANT!

GOG is the only other service worth using, and only for those games steam doesn't have already.

I sorely rue the purchase of every single game I bought on Gamersgate and Impulse. Because they're SHIT. FROM A BUTT.

And my problem with macs is that all militant Mac users I know are completely infuriating. And I also despise and hate most of Apple's totalitarian decisions, like making the iPad a big iPhone instead of a real tablet computer. I really couldn't care less about OSX, I don't dislike it but I would also never switch to it. And OS9 was hands down the worst operational system I ever used, worse than Win ME. Also airport extreme is terrible. But my mother and my sisters all have macs that they love them and they're probably better off with macs than PCs.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

NOTHING like Steam at all. I'm never trusting another digital service. Fuccckckckckkk

PLEASE DONT BE IGNORANT!

GOG is the only other service worth using, and only for those games steam doesn't have already.

I sorely rue the purchase of every single game I bought on Gamersgate and Impulse. Because they're SHIT. FROM A BUTT.

And my problem with macs is that all militant Mac users I know are completely infuriating. And I also despise and hate most of Apple's totalitarian decisions, like making the iPad a big iPhone instead of a real tablet computer. I really couldn't care less about OSX, I don't dislike it but I would also never switch to it. And OS9 was hands down the worst operational system I ever used, worse than Win ME. Also airport extreme is terrible. But my mother and my sisters all have macs that they love them and they're probably better off with macs than PCs.

I'd love to hear how shit it was to purchase games from Impulse because I never had an issue with the purchases that I have made there. Unless you are a blinded steam hore, you may prefer one over the other (I steam prefer steam more myself) but Impulse is quite good as well.

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guibs wrote: »

PLEASE DONT BE IGNORANT!

I'd love to hear how shit it was to purchase games from Impulse because I never had an issue with the purchases that I have made there. Unless you are a blinded steam hore, you may prefer one over the other (I steam prefer steam more myself) but Impulse is quite good as well.

Yeah, I've always had great service with Impulse. Nowhere near as good as Steam since there isn't all the community features and I feel their layout could use a bit of work, but it's perfectly acceptable and I've never run into problems with them.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Impulse at least allows you to play the game without having to launch the horrible client, so I don't regret buying a couple of things on it.

I really want to minimize the time that awful thing is running on my system, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    huh... that's interesting. I tried updating my disc version of SoaSE on Impulse and then it didn't let me play it again unless I had an active connection to the Internet. Is there some setting in Impulse to switch that off?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    That's some fucking moon math, right there.

Me no add numbers. Me trust Steam. Steam good!

Man, fuck. I would have bought that without ever noticing at all.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GoG gets my money because they have Cannon Fodder.

Also from time to time they seem to put some old classics at the sale price of free so that's dope too. Think I got a Tex Murphy game that way.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, when is it Tuesday in Steam land? It's not a huge deal, but I sure wish they had countdowns all the time for these kind of sales.

Darlan on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think historically they update these things around noon EST, which would be 9 PST and the start of their workday.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    So, when is it Tuesday in Steam land? It's not a huge deal, but I sure wish they had countdowns all the time for these kind of sales.

It's Tuesday now. Battlestation games are up today.

stigweard on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just assume that every change on Steam is on Valve Time.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's Tuesday now; Battlestations: Pacific and Midway, and Order of War are each 50% off, or all three for 66% off.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    stigweard wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »

It's Tuesday now. Battlestation games are up today.
    Hah, it switched right after I posted that.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

This sort of thing happens pretty often on Steam, actually.

Drake on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

This sort of thing happens pretty often on Steam, actually.

"Package Price" sure is a weird thing, gonna keep an eye on that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

This, except that I will usually go with a GOG version over a Steam version for older games.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Suds wrote: »

This, except that I will usually go with a GOG version over a Steam version for older games.

I used Impulse to buy the GalCiv II expansions, and it was fine. Is there something about the way that they handle non-Stardock titles that's horrible?

Or are we just being silly geese?

Drake on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Hate to have to ask you guys again about it but I seem to have lost my bookmark.

Someone linked a site where some dude showed how to have steam use different drives for different games awhile back. Anyone remember it?

Is anyone doing this? Does game performance take a significant hit if you are playing it from another drive?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I used Impulse to buy the GalCiv II expansions, and it was fine. Is there something about the way that they handle non-Stardock titles that's horrible?

I bought Warlords: Battlecry III off of Impulse, and then found out that they sold a broken version of the game where anything involving random chance always resulted in failure.

I bought it off GoG and received a working version.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »

I bought Warlords: Battlecry III off of Impulse, and then found out that they sold a broken version of the game where anything involving random chance always resulted in failure.

That is what I would call a valid complaint. Steam is guilty of this too, though, if what I hear about the first Commandos game is correct.

Drake on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EDIT: I mean, hell, we haven't even attracted a linux zealot to tell us that both OS's are crap and that THIS will be the year of linux!

That's because we know our OS is superior, and don't need to engage in pointless debate to prove it.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    Hate to have to ask you guys again about it but I seem to have lost my bookmark.

Someone linked a site where some dude showed how to have steam use different drives for different games awhile back. Anyone remember it?

Is anyone doing this? Does game performance take a significant hit if you are playing it from another drive?

If anything, it felt like things loaded faster when I had steam on a different drive.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Iolo wrote: »

No, not really. The operation is a feature of the NTFS filesystem and is transparent, and as far as Steam is concerned, it's just another directory. Of course, it'll be slower if the drive you're linking is slower than your primary drive, but that's a general hardware issue.

Although, the blog above uses directory junctions for some reason instead of symlinks, and I prefer the latter. Yeah, I know he calls it a "symbolic link," but that requires the /D switch, not /J.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What's the difference?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, they were priced that way before the sale, thats messed up.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Those seem like 3 mediocre games. Not sure if I'm down for dropping $30 on them.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That is what I would call a valid complaint. Steam is guilty of this too, though, if what I hear about the first Commandos game is correct.

Impulse is nowhere near as good as Steam. I have the base Galciv2 game, and when I saw DREAD LORDS on sale for 2 bucks, I thought it was one of the expansions and bought it. Only it happens to be the base game I already had. But fucking impulse shit site is confusing and NOT connected to the stupid client. So you have to buy on the site and then add the serial to the client, but I couldn't find the serial anywhere.

Steam wouldn't let you buy a game you already own by itself, as in "not in a big pack". and the site is perfectly integrated to the client.

Gamersgate makes you download an installer that downloads the game install files. It's not download-and-play like Steam.

And managing what game you got in each site is a nightmare. Better to keep them all together.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    So it says the RUSE beta is playable now, but when I click play it just takes me to the store page. o_O

edit: restarting steam fixed it.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Impulse is nowhere near as good as Steam. I have the base Galciv2 game, and when I saw DREAD LORDS on sale for 2 bucks, I thought it was one of the expansions and bought it. Only it happens to be the base game I already had. But fucking impulse shit site is confusing and NOT connected to the stupid client. So you have to buy on the site and then add the serial to the client, but I couldn't find the serial anywhere.

Steam wouldn't let you buy a game you already own by itself, as in "not in a big pack". and the site is perfectly integrated to the client.

Gamersgate makes you download an installer that downloads the game install files. It's not download-and-play like Steam.

And managing what game you got in each site is a nightmare. Better to keep them all together.

Don't get me wrong. I love Steam by lightyears of love. It's by far the friendliest, most useful online service I've used. GoG runs second for there policies as well. I've had limited experience with Impulse. I have GalCiv II and SoaSE so I need the client for game updates, and I think it's a great service for that. I bought the GalCiv II expansion packs from Impulse and while somewhat obtuse, I managed without any real pain so to speak. But I am largely ignorant of their service as a whole beyond those specific instances, and I've considered taking advantage of some of the deals they have at times, but I've been hesitant to jump into non Stardock purchases from the service. I just want to make sure I base my decisions off of decent info instead of our beloved forum hyperbole.

But yeah, Steam is super hot sex whenever you want it.

Drake on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is ... is that what super hot sex feels like? I'm intrigued.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Is ... is that what super hot sex feels like? I'm intrigued.

I have a plethora of friends and groups that I can get down and dirty with any time I want? Access to new toys at some ridiculously cheap prices? And the free modifications and loving support? Don't get me started.

It's swingin', baby.

Drake on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Steam going to Mac is a pretty important move for the industry. Mac users only make up 10% of the US, or 6% of the world, but they represent people who are willing to spend more for marketing. That's an extremely attractive marketing segment. If game developers can work with Apple on a few games, it's a guaranteed buy for hundreds of thousands of people. The game could be complete ass and it doesn't matter.

I'm optimistic about this. Developers need a reason to put their games on PCs, not just the 360/PS3. If getting the Mac-drones on board to empty their wallets is the way to do it - so be it. It's good for everyone (except the drones, but who cares!).

Not only that but it's important for Apple because you will likely see a subset of consumers that will feel safe in switching over completely to the Mac since gaming is arguably OS X's only true downside.

The people I see using Macs were the people who didn't trust or don't understand technology. They need to be told exactly what to buy and how to use it, and they're willing to pay more for that privilege even if the device limits them.

The gamer demographic and the Mac demographic is about as far apart as I can imagine. If they can find some synergies, great, but I just don't see them. Better to focus on draining their wallets, and worry about them as a long term consumer once they make the switch to main-steam or open source technology.

I have a 360, DS, and a gaming PC. I also own a Mac. Basically, anything productive I need to do (video editing, office work, photoshop, etc), I do on a Mac because it has never failed me, works reliably, and I don't have to worry.

The gaming PC I own is solely for games. Windows 7 has made it much more tolerable.

My friends who own Macs aren't non-gamers, they all game in some way or form, and with the higher end macbook pros, they play Steam games with me in Boot Camp. This Steam announcement has them pretty excited.

I realize I'm not representative of the Mac demographic at large, but blanket statements like this don't apply anywhere.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have a 360, DS, and a gaming PC. I also own a Mac.

So what you're saying is that instead of using the first 3 for gaming and using the 3rd for work with free open source software, you purchased a redundant 4th device that's more expensive for comparable hardware to the 3rd, so that you could purchase software that's more expensive and does the same thing?

Do you not understand why the industry absolutely salivates at the thought of Mac users and Apple fans? You are a veritable GOLD MINE.

I'm not insulting you, I'm thanking you. Your brazen consumerism has wrought wonderful technological developments, as hardware and software developers know they need to make products 2-3x better than a comparable Apple product to break the fanatical mind share. That is GREAT for everyone else, and I am excited to no end to see what happens in the PC gaming industry if they have Apple customers to subsidize their development. This was a great move by Steam and my only concern is if Apple is going to try to put a choke hold on the Steam portal, as per their usual business practices.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Downward Spiral Imminent!

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Downward Spiral Imminent!

More like an upward spiral. I can't see anything but good coming from this move. It may just save the PC gaming industry. Forget government subsidies with no oversight, they've got Apple customers :^:

TekDragon on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

To my own surprise, I bought a non-Steam game yesterday. I wanted the new tank strategy game "Achtung Panzer!" badly and GamersGate was the only place I could find it. It worked alright (and it's a cracking game), but I would kick a puppy for a Steam version.

So what are these Battlestations games like? The trailers were painfully patriotic.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i hope this debate dies off with the next thread

because i don't understand why people are arguing about it

steam is coming to mac, sweet shit broski

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tek Dragon, he meant the thread.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kelleyberrykelleyberry Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Doesn't have Supreme Commander, the ONE game I want right now.

A few pages late, I know, but direct2drive has Supreme Commander 1 if you are still looking.

kelleyberry on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Play the RUSE beta for a short short bit, feels pretty good. Will have to give it more time.

Can't believe this thread is close to coming to an end. At the beginning we talked about the AvP demo. Oh how far we've come.

Hawk on
This discussion has been closed.