As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] coming to Mac in "April" (See Valve Time)

1575859606163»

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I still haven't played that one, since it is on sale, I'm considering it.

What I liked best about legend was the mansion as a hub. Is there anything like that?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Relic's games always patch by downloading the whole thing. It has to do with how Valve patches games, the files that are affected get redownloaded. Relic doesn't have their games in a million different files like Valve does so you end up downloading the whole game again.

Also, new thread:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=13955033#post13955033

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah hearing that Legend was better was the reason I was holding off on Underworld since I got that in a sale so long ago. Seemed like Legend was never going to see a sale as both Anniversary and Underworld both had cheap sales while Legend didn't.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To be fair it is a big patch with a lot of new assets. And they don't redownload everything in the DoW 2 patches (though big chunks of it)

Alegis on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why I still LOATHE Steam:

I encountered Steam when Half Life 2 was released, and for about two weeks it prevented me from playing the game because of server issues or whatever the hell it was. After I finished HL2 I promptly uninstalled it and Steam and have never touched it ever since.

But today, I encountered it again, and it seems as nothing has changed. I bought Supreme Commander 2 from a shop on a DVD. I installed it, and for whatever fucking reason it installed Steam. Screw it, I thought, perhaps I can ignore it. But no...

After the installer completes, it takes me to a "my games" window in Steam. For some reason, an update for Supreme Commander 2 is downloading at 200k/s. It doesn't say how large it is, or why it is doing that, but I don't care, I click to launch the game... only to find a window telling me that sure, you can launch the game... in THREE FUCKING HOURS when the update completes. Unless Gas Powered Games released a horribly broken game, I don't want to apply a fucking patch the first thing I do. And what fucking patch takes three fucking hours to download at 200k/s? They seriously released a 2gb patch that MUST be applied first?

Well, I thought, this must be a Steam thing, so I close all the windows, and right click on the tray icon and select "Exit". Then double click the Supreme Commander 2 icon on my desktop to launch the game. What happens? "There already is an instance of Steam running, you can't launch another one", the game tells me.

FUCK STEAM!

I'm mainly a Mac user, and it absolutely fucking pains me that I probably have to buy a few games through Steam on Mac to support gaming on the Mac side, as I absolutely do not want to support this broken ass piece of fucking excuse for a digital delivery platform.

I hope Stardock releases Impulse on the Mac. At least they're not as intrusive.

EDIT: I checked the task manager for steam processes just now, and couldn't find one. So I clicked on the Supreme Commander 2 icon again, and was asked to log into Steam this time. How the fuck is this not just as bad as the shit Ubisoft just pulled? I seriously want to return my copy of the game, but I guess Squenix doesn't give two shits.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    eobet wrote: »
    Why I still LOATHE Steam:

I encountered Steam when Half Life 2 was released, and for about two weeks it prevented me from playing the game because of server issues or whatever the hell it was. After I finished HL2 I promptly uninstalled it and Steam and have never touched it ever since.

But today, I encountered it again, and it seems as nothing has changed. I bought Supreme Commander 2 from a shop on a DVD. I installed it, and for whatever fucking reason it installed Steam. Screw it, I thought, perhaps I can ignore it. But no...

After the installer completes, it takes me to a "my games" window in Steam. For some reason, an update for Supreme Commander 2 is downloading at 200k/s. It doesn't say how large it is, or why it is doing that, but I don't care, I click to launch the game... only to find a window telling me that sure, you can launch the game... in THREE FUCKING HOURS when the update completes. Unless Gas Powered Games released a horribly broken game, I don't want to apply a fucking patch the first thing I do. And what fucking patch takes three fucking hours to download at 200k/s? They seriously released a 2gb patch that MUST be applied first?

Well, I thought, this must be a Steam thing, so I close all the windows, and right click on the tray icon and select "Exit". Then double click the Supreme Commander 2 icon on my desktop to launch the game. What happens? "There already is an instance of Steam running, you can't launch another one", the game tells me.

FUCK STEAM!

I'm mainly a Mac user, and it absolutely fucking pains me that I probably have to buy a few games through Steam on Mac to support gaming on the Mac side, as I absolutely do not want to support this broken ass piece of fucking excuse for a digital delivery platform.

I hope Stardock releases Impulse on the Mac. At least they're not as intrusive.
    Yeah..that is pretty much a huge wtf steam, it redownloads about half the game for people who bought a hard copy for no reason anyone can figure out. Although apparently it makes some people who bought hard copies download the entire thing so hey, at least you don't have to do that..i guess.. D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Methinks the eobet doth protest too much.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    steam has taken huge leaps from when it was released

also things downloading giant patches is a kind of wtf moment for everyone, trust me, we all don't really like it

but there are steam processes to kill if you look?

also if you don't want to download anything or "put up with steam's bullshit" go into offline mode

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The expansion for DoW2 releases today so the massive patch is for all the assets they are adding to the existing factions and for the new faction that launches with the expansion so those who own the base game can play with those who have the expansion and vice versa.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Legend is so much better than Underworld in my opinion.
    Of the three Crystal Dynamics games I liked Anniversary the most.

Underworld was my favorite. It's the only one I replayed multiple times (the DLC just sweetened the deal). I only played the other two once through.

They're all perfectly valid opinions.

On the subject of Steam....it's a well-established fact that, when it first came out, the thing was basically a horrific pile of shit (notice the choice of the word 'horrific'). Because it was. It's common knowledge. It's taken huge strides since then, but I can definitely sympathize with people who don't appreciate its intrusiveness ("No, I want to download the patch in the background and play my fucking game, NOT wait till you say you're done!").

Still, a lot of people swear by the convenience of having Steam patch things on its own. On some games where patching is tedious, it's a big attraction. And you can stop those features, I believe.

I take a middle road--I play games on Steam only when they're mandatory (i.e. Valve games). I don't buy the Steam version of games unless they're much, much cheaper. And I don't repurchase games on Steam (since I'm not made of money and bandwidth).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To be fair you can play and patch at the same time, but it requires alt-tabbing.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    To be fair you can play and patch at the same time, but it requires alt-tabbing.

How? Every time I try it says I need to wait for the patch to finish and won't let me launch.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    TheGerbil wrote: »

How? Every time I try it says I need to wait for the patch to finish and won't let me launch.

I don't know about that, but given that it needs alt-tabbing, that pretty much rules out all Source games. At least in my experience. Between four different computers and three different Windows OS, source games do not resume when you alt-tab (unless you were running windowed before, I guess).

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines might be the exception.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All Source games alt+tab perfectly for me.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LaCabra wrote: »
    All Source games alt+tab perfectly for me.

Lucky. I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this (from previous experience), but I guess it varies from person to person. No idea why. It's not an Nvidia/ATi thing either.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
This discussion has been closed.