Options

Bad Company 2: Boring Title

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    DICE needs to buff hit detection first

And also give all weapons the same bullet drop as sniper rifles.

This.

Why they didn't apply bullet drop to all weapons make me scratch my head. Did they think it would be considered too hard or something?

A lot of game design decisions like this one are made for game balancing and the fun factor. It has nothing to do with reality. There are lots of other unrealistic things about shooters that make me cringe, but I have to keep reminding myself it's just a game or I'd go crazy. Don't even get me started on shotgun spread patterns. I've ranted about this in other games and other threads and it's still one of those sins game developers commit in the name of game balance (or ignorance, I'm not sure which sometimes). Or how about how easy it is to aim when you're moving? Anyone who has ever fired a real weapon will tell you that it's nearly impossible to hit anything smaller than a truck even while walking, let alone running. But we do it all the time in gaming.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SoaL wrote: »
    snipers just shoot really slow bullets

The tracer is slower than the actual bullet.

Arrath on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »

This.

Why they didn't apply bullet drop to all weapons make me scratch my head. Did they think it would be considered too hard or something?

A lot of game design decisions like this one are made for game balancing and the fun factor. It has nothing to do with reality. There are lots of other unrealistic things about shooters that make me cringe, but I have to keep reminding myself it's just a game or I'd go crazy. Don't even get me started on shotgun spread patterns. I've ranted about this in other games and other threads and it's still one of those sins game developers commit in the name of game balance (or ignorance, I'm not sure which sometimes). Or how about how easy it is to aim when you're moving? Anyone who has ever fired a real weapon will tell you that it's nearly impossible to hit anything smaller than a truck even while walking, let alone running. But we do it all the time in gaming.

It's not that fun for everyone to be better at shooting the sniper at long range than it is for the sniper to shoot them since no one else has to worry about any appreciable bullet drop.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I ended up with Sheep in my squad earlier out of sheer co-incidence, since we weren't even in a party. Then I left at the end of the game because I was about to smash my controller with rage after being killed approximately 635 times by the same dude with his sniper shotgun. SPAS with magnum rounds, apparently.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [PA] Jabberwokky is my little sister, she doesn't post here but don't kick her anyways because she is awesome.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »

This.

I really think some of those decisions need to be re-evaluated though. I can understand tweaking shotguns from their real-life counterparts to make them less potent at range, but things like this actually seem to detract. Having snipers that are crap at close range but easily matched by AR's at all but the most extreme ranges is not something that adds to the game experience for me.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    RageRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Black House has been switched to Conquest for the next day or two, just to mix things up a little.

Rage on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like how even when they do a complete rehaul of the veteran shit I still can't input my 1942 or vietnam keys

yes website, someone already claimed it. That is the logical explaination

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    So I can see the Garand available in my gadgets now, but I still can't select it in-game.

Echo on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    [PA] Jabberwokky is my little sister, she doesn't post here but don't kick her anyways because she is awesome.

so she is a poser

ban her

BAN HER

edit: i am actually a member of the wu-tang clan

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm happy with snipers being as disadvantaged as possible. I liked it better in the old battlefields where sniper was just a joke class, though.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Snipers are people too :(

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Flippy_D wrote: »

Nope. Recons are though.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Terrible, terrible people.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    only sometimes

tyrannus on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »

Nope. Recons are though.

Action-Recons are two people.

Maybe more when motion mines are out.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    but the worst are snipers who take vehicles just for themselves so they can get better sniping positions

tyrannus on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

No, no they aren't.

They are snipers.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »
    but the worst are snipers who take vehicles just for themselves so they can get better sniping positions

Like flying a helicopter onto a mountain.

And then the dude says in squad chat, "Nah bra noobs snipe down there".

Then somebody on the other team RPGs the helicopter along with the brosef sitting there all scoped.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    FYI my most-played class is now assault.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is 40mm'ing someone in their face not the most fun thing in the world?

I think so.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

I think so.

Not as awesome as RPG'ing a Humvee heading for a roadkill and watching it flip over your head in a fiery wreck.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I think so.

Watching them run for cover to a wall or house then blowing up said cover with them is so much better.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man I don't use that. I use the shotgun with slugs.

Pow, motherfucker.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    god forbid you use something that doesn't have the capacity to kill in one shot

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man I don't use that. I use the shotgun with slugs.

Pow, motherfucker.

Oh, you mean the thing closest to the TF2 sniper rifle?

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Every once in awhile I'll use the 40mm shotgun.

That's OK, except it is not as awesome as blowing shit up.

Malkor on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010

Once on Port Valdez I saw a recon beeline for a quad, gun it halfway down the hill and then stop there. He switched to the back seat and sat there sniping.

So he became my new hood ornament because the fucker was right in the middle of the road and fuck him, I'm not driving around him.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Once on Port Valdez I saw a recon beeline for a quad, gun it halfway down the hill and then stop there. He switched to the back seat and sat there sniping.

So he became my new hood ornament because the fucker was right in the middle of the road and fuck him, I'm not driving around him.

haha, that's awesome. What the hell good does sitting on the back of a quad do?

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I wonder if he parked it at an angle, so when returning sniper fire came he could quickly switch seat to seat to dodge bullets. Clever girl.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I wonder if he parked it at an angle, so when returning sniper fire came he could quickly switch seat to seat to dodge bullets. Clever girl.

I doubt a recon would be this smart.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    damn you angry dome stop dying

I want to keep throwing motion sensors

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Action-Recon would be that smart. Except instead of leaving the quad on a hill the prototypical Action-Recon player would make Jeremy McGrath proud plus blow shit up.

Malkor on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone know how to level up the sniper quickly besides motion sensor spam and spotting?

I just found how easy it was to level the medic with my lovely defib revive spamming.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone know how to level up the sniper quickly besides motion sensor spam and spotting?

I just found how easy it was to level the medic with my lovely defib revive spamming.

Motion mine + shotgun.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    haha oh wow the m60

it's just appalling

Edit: sort of like the shotgun hit detection

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Steal a dead medic's stuff.

Make sure he ain't a noob, nothing is worse than taking a kit and having no defib or medpacks!

Malkor on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Make sure he ain't a noob, nothing is worse than taking a kit and having no defib or medpacks!

Really? This works?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    god forbid you use something that doesn't have the capacity to kill in one shot
    Well, exactly!
    Oh, you mean the thing closest to the TF2 sniper rifle?
    God forbid I play something in a manner that I'm good at and enjoy.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Really? This works?

Pretty sure it doesn't. You gain points in whatever kit you have equipped.

mere_immortal on