A [Chat] at the Opera

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like you, _J_

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Axe commercials keep getting more and more creepy.

"Women will fuck you if you spray this on yourself."

That is their basic marketing campaign. There's really not much "not creepy" one can do with that.

Using chemicals on women without their consent to alter their perception of you.

It's absolutely no different than, say, intentionally getting a woman shit faced so she'll sleep with you. Or, in a sense, even roofies.

Two of those three things work. So no, it's really not like roofies or getting a woman drunk.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i have worn Axe for many, many years and gotten nothing but compliments about how i smell and women have enjoyed my close physical proximity

the reality is with fragrances is that not all fragrances suit all people

people inherently smell different, even if most of us are not consciously able to notice

so some scents on some people are complimentary, whereas the same scent on a different person clashes and smells awful

exacerbating things is ginos who drown themselves in Axe and it overpowers everything

and nerdy dorks who use Axe in lieu of showering

those are both awful

scents are best used conservatively

Pony on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, I want an internet arch nemesis. I argue with all you fuckers as much as anyone else, but it never warrants the same eternally familiar hatred that some of you guys develop.

Well, except maybe Thanatos, but I think he just has a stick up his ass.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    Man, I would really like to go to school in Boston but I don't know about not being able to see any stars.

Even if I don't have a telescope I just like looking at them.
    What do they make you feel?
    It feels weird when I can't see them. It's almost a security thing, I like being able to look up and find them there. They just make me think.
    Stars make me feel small, because they remind me of how large the universe is, even if I can’t actually comprehend it. They make me feel chilly, because of the nights my dad and I would go outside town with his telescope and look at the sky for several hours. The dew and the chill—even in the middle of summer it can get below 40°F! They make me think of science and the brief periods I was more interested in the subject. Sometimes they make me feel a small warm glow, like an aura, for reasons unknown.

My memory operates in still frames or complex scenes composed of feelings that recall idealized images. Stars summon parts of my youth.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    group hug!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    i feel kind of sorry for nerd

his posts aren't objectionable in any way but then it slips that he's younger than everyone else and that becomes his Thing

though he does like to PM me a lot and that always spooks me because usually i'm never PM'd except for an infraction notice

Rust on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Home. Home at last. God, that was the worst weekend of my life. I had to hang out with a group of the most disgusting examples of humanity I have ever seen.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    will i think frankie wanted to spit on me when you told her about my carrying

but god does that woman loosen up after a sidecar

I thought she was nice. I don't expect someone to be immediately comfortable amongst a group of people they aren't familiar with and probably don't have much in common with.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, I want an internet arch nemesis. I argue with all you fuckers as much as anyone else, but it never warrants the same eternally familiar hatred that some of you guys develop.

Proffem you're so cute when you're angry!

It's adorable!

Nocturne on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

That is their basic marketing campaign. There's really not much "not creepy" one can do with that.

Using chemicals on women without their consent to alter their perception of you.

It's absolutely no different than, say, intentionally getting a woman shit faced so she'll sleep with you. Or, in a sense, even roofies.

Two of those three things work. So no, it's really not like roofies or getting a woman drunk.

Also, people don't generally wake up in the morning regretting things that they did under the influence of cologne.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

The way they present it it is, as a product that will make women all of a sudden want to fuck you if you use it. I'm not saying spraying yourself with Axe to smell good is tantamount to rape. Axe is not creepy. The commercials are.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    y'alls is bitches

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    i feel kind of sorry for nerd

his posts aren't objectionable in any way but then it slips that he's younger than everyone else and that becomes his Thing

though he does like to PM me a lot and that always spooks me because usually i'm never PM'd except for an infraction notice

Haha he's incredibly outgoing. Sometimes I'll complain about something here and he'll just PM me some friendly advice or something. Comes completely out of left field.

Nerdgasmic rocks, and [chat] is all the better for his posting here.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    i have worn Axe for many, many years and gotten nothing but compliments about how i smell and women have enjoyed my close physical proximity

the reality is with fragrances is that not all fragrances suit all people

people inherently smell different, even if most of us are not consciously able to notice

so some scents on some people are complimentary, whereas the same scent on a different person clashes and smells awful

exacerbating things is ginos who drown themselves in Axe and it overpowers everything

and nerdy dorks who use Axe in lieu of showering

those are both awful

scents are best used conservatively

I tend to think the Axehate mostly comes from not liking the image the company sells, not really being aware of the scent itself.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I actually like Thanatos. No idea why he doesn't like me. I mean I probably knew at some point, but I've forgotten. I don't really care though.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

Proffem you're so cute when you're angry!

It's adorable!

:evil:

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man, I would really like to go to school in Boston but I don't know about not being able to see any stars.

Even if I don't have a telescope I just like looking at them.
    What do they make you feel?
    It feels weird when I can't see them. It's almost a security thing, I like being able to look up and find them there. They just make me think.
    Stars make me feel small, because they remind me of how large the universe is, even if I can’t actually comprehend it. They make me feel chilly, because of the nights my dad and I would go outside town with his telescope and look at the sky for several hours. The dew and the chill—even in the middle of summer it can get below 40°F! They make me think of science and the brief periods I was more interested in the subject. Sometimes they make me feel a small warm glow, like an aura, for reasons unknown.

My memory operates in still frames or complex scenes composed of feelings that recall idealized images. Stars summon parts of my youth.

I don't have memories like that associated with the stars. That's very nice. I love feeling small in the face of the universe.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    edit: This post removed in the spirit of love and peace.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    I think the banned forumer I miss most of all is hippie.

If only we could have kept him away from any sort of argument.

For reals.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    will i think frankie wanted to spit on me when you told her about my carrying

She has a fair amount of shyness and social anxiety and she often comes off as vain and unapproachable until she gets comfortable. It's her defense mechanism i guess. We are working on trying to get her a little better socialized, but it's kind of hard for her.

I kind of get on tears sometimes where I just kind of shoot my mouth off in some sort of exaggerated political opinion about something or other, and I think that some of these have kind of shaped her view of politics and such. So she ends up having political opinions that are kind of cartoonish versions of the ones I have. I've gotten after gun people around her and give one of my buddies shit about his gun hobby, and I think she's kind of run with that.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the answer to that is apparently they are jealous of someone being more interesting than they are

This is how I feel every time I get a negative comment about my hair.

:winky:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    there's pretty much a weird, haaaazy borderland between techniques that are considered acceptable seductive lures and things that are considered underhanded manipulations that rob people of knowledge or consent

sometimes, it's very obvious where a thing is on that border (getting a woman so smashed that you are a blurry haze and she will agree to anything)

but then you get things like meeting a girl who has had a couple of drinks, and so have you, and neither one of you is [plastered but both of you re tipsy enough to have shed some of your inhibitions and make moves on each other

then it gets sorta nebulous, especially if regret after the fact becomes involved

Pony on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010

That's what she said!

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hope Nerd understands that people just give him shit for his age purely because people like to give each other shit.

I definitely wouldn't want to post in the same thread as myself at his age. I mean the guy is very mature, all things considered.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Ummm

Hmmm

You suck. *hate on*

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I like you, _J_

According to this so did Thanatos...
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I like D&D. SE++ and G&T aren't really for me, mostly because I hate memes and anime screencaps (which means G&T doubly isn't for me).

And yeah, you have to have something of a thick skin to post in D&D. Though, I agree with ege02 on the bandwagon thing. Regardless of what he said, I think he got way more shit for it than he deserved. _J_ was another good example of that.

Irond Will wrote: »
    There is some bandwagoning in D&D. I've never heard it occur without cause, but it can be disproportionate. Ege caught it disproportionately for saying some dumb stuff. _J_ caught it for being unrelentingly annoying with his pedantry.
    I think _J_ got a lot better, and people just continued giving him shit in spite of the fact that he got better. The same goes with ege.

Elki wrote: »
    There is some bandwagoning in D&D. I've never heard it occur without cause, but it can be disproportionate. Ege caught it disproportionately for saying some dumb stuff. _J_ caught it for being unrelentingly annoying with his pedantry.
    I think _J_ got a lot better, and people just continued giving him shit in spite of the fact that he got better. The same goes with ege.
    Yeah, _J_ was unfortunate. Especially when when people were picking on him even in the chat thread.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

being Thanatos' nemesis would imply that he has more hate for you than he has for other people

which seems impossible

you can't have more than 100% hatred

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    there's pretty much a weird, haaaazy borderland between techniques that are considered acceptable seductive lures and things that are considered underhanded manipulations that rob people of knowledge or consent

sometimes, it's very obvious where a thing is on that border (getting a woman so smashed that you are a blurry haze and she will agree to anything)

but then you get things like meeting a girl who has had a couple of drinks, and so have you, and neither one of you is [plastered but both of you re tipsy enough to have shed some of your inhibitions and make moves on each other

then it gets sorta nebulous, especially if regret after the fact becomes involved

Double rape!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

That's what she said!

i'm pretty sure chu is gonna be hitting you up for child support in 9 months so you better start saving up

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    y'alls is bitches

HEY

So, I was kind of a douche with the alcohol.

I had a Sam Adam's, a Campari & Soda and two Gin & Tonics on Friday and then on Saturday I had a rum & soda, a gin & tonic and a scotch & soda.

We wish you had come for your alcoholic expertise to supplement Will's.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what the hell anime thread

why you gotta make me hate myself even more

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I do miss the hell out of hippie.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Ummm

Hmmm

You suck. *hate on*

Fluffy, you could tear me down with the fears that plague me at night and the insecurities I carry with me every day, and I still wouldn't be able to hate you <3

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i give _J_ shit pretty much exclusively due to my interactions with him and not some internet reputation he has garnered

Pony on
  • Options
    Sherlock HolmesSherlock Holmes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

...We meet again, Moriarty.

Sherlock Holmes on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I do miss the hell out of hippie.

hippie had some entertaining moments.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Double rape!

damn son

Pony on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    what the hell anime thread

why you gotta make me hate myself even more

and there are people talking about making it even more pedo for the next one

anime thread is approaching peak pedo

Rust on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I like you, _J_

According to this so did Thanatos...
    I like D&D. SE++ and G&T aren't really for me, mostly because I hate memes and anime screencaps (which means G&T doubly isn't for me).

And yeah, you have to have something of a thick skin to post in D&D. Though, I agree with ege02 on the bandwagon thing. Regardless of what he said, I think he got way more shit for it than he deserved. _J_ was another good example of that.

Elki wrote: »
    Yeah, _J_ was unfortunate. Especially when when people were picking on him even in the chat thread.

Yeah, but I never really thought you had a low point. Just an odd point.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.