As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tam is a Silly [Chat]

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I read about your keyboard. Apparently it's sought out by authors and so forth for its high degree of tactile response.

In other news, I'm moving into my own place pretty soon. So that's great news. My roommate is kicking me out. But I totally don't care because his wife is a stupid cunt.

Also I bought a suit today and I am really hoping that I made the right choice. I tried on like seven of them.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Duel monitors sounds like the most boring episode of Robot Wars ever.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dual monitors are fucking awesome.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only time I ever tried actually doing sight-size it was very frustrating and sort of counter-intuitive. I ended up with a pretty mediocre drawing. I am not a fan of really mechanical drawing systems.

In fact I'm not really a fan of any drawing systems. My belief for a long time has been that I would rather just get really good at intuitive measurement using my eye and my gut, along with ultra simple ratio-comparisons.

Having the proverbial "Kodak Eye", now that is something useful to an illustrator.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I love you, hunnid
    I read about your keyboard. Apparently it's sought out by authors and so forth for its high degree of tactile response.

In other news, I'm moving into my own place pretty soon. So that's great news. My roommate is kicking me out. But I totally don't care because his wife is a stupid cunt.

Also I bought a suit today and I am really hoping that I made the right choice. I tried on like seven of them.

have you shaved yet

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Weird, when I was researching for a new PC, most new model mobo's are still coming out with ps2 ports. Either singles or doubles.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    The only time I ever tried actually doing sight-size it was very frustrating and sort of counter-intuitive. I ended up with a pretty mediocre drawing. I am not a fan of really mechanical drawing systems.

In fact I'm not really a fan of any drawing systems. My belief for a long time has been that I would rather just get really good at intuitive measurement using my eye and my gut, along with ultra simple ratio-comparisons.

Having the proverbial "Kodak Eye", now that is something useful to an illustrator.

Does that actually work? Just going for it? I can never draw anything that way.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2010

All I know about suits:
    pointy.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »

Does that actually work? Just going for it? I can never draw anything that way.

look at his drawings

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think doing all the studies under the sun trains your ability to just 'go for it'.
    I usually use a hybrid of different methods when I draw, I just pick the bits out I like from each one and occasionally swap them around as the problem suits.

EDIT: that being said, I do kinda suck, so take that advise with a pinch of salt.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, that's true. Good show.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tam wrote: »

I love you, hunnid

Actually, I just imagined two monitors sitting face to face displaying insults on their screens, and now it's pretty awesome.

And now I'm imagining a monitor rap battle.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    have you shaved yet

Yes. Also I will be cutting my hair I'm pretty sure. Which I really really don't want to do but I guess it does kinda look grungy, which isn't what I wanted to do at all.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Beavo - There are schools much closer to you, like Grand Central... but that is still quite a commitment.

Shizu - I think we agree on everything except people not pushing realism out here as much as on the East Coast being unfortunate. There is room for a lot of different artists, I don't think we all need to paint the same. Though, personally I do not care for the overly-dramatic look of a lot of the working coming from the east. It just feels so stale, emotionless and even false to me...which is in my opinion, a failure to capture realism.

yeah, right now i just can't move from where i live, it's not feasible
    it's okay though, i understand that some people really don't like the online learning thing, but i seem to excel at it.
    it's because, honestly, i've learned all i know about drawing so far from the internet, (yes that includes the year of art school, i've gone backwards in skill since going to this school i swear to god) so it's just such a natural way for me to learn. i think it's the fact that i feel some sort of control over it. with classroom training, i'm forced to go at certain times, with online training, i do it in my jammies when i feel like it. i stay motivated better when i'm in control of my own education. it's fucking absurd, i know, but we all have our quirks.

then again, it could just be the type of education i've been going for lately, that's definitely a possibility
    seriously... i have gone backwards

beavotron on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I'll put it this way. I don't use any measuring systems when I'm doing figurative work from life, ever. How successful the work is as a result is not for me to judge.

I vehemently believe any mistakes I do frequently make though is down to me needing to practice more, or forgetting to step back 15 feet from my easel once in a while-- not because I'm not sticking my pencil out in front of my face enough or fumbling around with strings.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I gave up sight measuring after a while. I don't know why, but it just throws me off completely. I've been doing a lot better since.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    have you shaved yet

Yes. Also I will be cutting my hair I'm pretty sure. Which I really really don't want to do but I guess it does kinda look grungy, which isn't what I wanted to do at all.

I don't cut mine either until I look like a Beatle

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I read drawing on the right side of the brain...sight measuring is like all I've been trying to do.

I guess the real skill just comes from paying attention, huh? That makes things a lot simpler.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    have you shaved yet

I don't cut mine either until I look like a Beatle

Mine's almost shoulder length, and I wanted to grow it out a lot longer than that, but honestly, there are few men who can pull off that look, and I am not one of them. Perhaps in a couple years I will start over.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Beavs wrote:
    so it's just such a natural way for me to learn. i think it's the fact that i feel some sort of control over it. with classroom training, i'm forced to go at certain times, with online training, i do it in my jammies when i feel like it. i stay motivated better when i'm in control of my own education. it's fucking absurd, i know, but we all have our quirks.

I think how you learn is an incredibly personal thing. People who say "You can only learn art in a classroom" are merely saying "I can only learn art in a classroom". Some people need structure, some people don't, some need deadlines, some can do without them. It all depends on who you ask and what works for them.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    beavotron wrote: »
    it's because, honestly, i've learned all i know about drawing so far from the internet, (yes that includes the year of art school, i've gone backwards in skill since going to this school i swear to god) so it's just such a natural way for me to learn.

then again, it could just be the type of education i've been going for lately, that's definitely a possibility
    seriously... i have gone backwards

I'm leaning towards the idea that it's the classes you're taking, rather than the idea of classes in general that's the problem. If being in a certain place at a certain time and being clad in working attire hinders your art skills, you may find keeping down a staff job somewhat difficult.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    sooo... no one can answer me?

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What was the question?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    RubberAC wrote: »

No, just because he's a milkman doesn't mean the milk comes out of his own tits.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only thing that I think is wrong with doing this kind of training online as opposed to in person...is not drawing from a live model. Drawing from photos is absolutely not the same thing.

rts on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The only thing that I think is wrong with doing this kind of training online as opposed to in person...is not drawing from a live model. Drawing from photos is absolutely not the same thing.

Isn't finding random naked people to lounge around your house what Craigslist is for?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

No, just because he's a milkman doesn't mean the milk comes out of his own tits.

There's an Aphex Twin song that is very similar to this statement.

It's a good song.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What was the question?

does anyone know anyone going to/gone to Emily Carr

alternatively: what bacon said

RubberAC on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    does anyone know anyone who is going/has gone to Emily Carr?

Yeah, they're all snooty bitches paying way too much to get to be snooty holier than thou bitches. Seriously, it's a huge waste of money. My new co-worker went there and we are constantly laughing about it. It's all fine arts. Do you like talking about the emotion of rocks? Do you want to see someone fall over, then the class has to discuss the meaning of it for half an hour? That is Emily Carr.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    ChillyChilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My rock suffers from self loathing.....

Poor rock :(

Chilly on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But...WHY does he fall over...*smokes cigarillo wearing beret*

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fuck you, Ditto, you self important, stuck up, son of a bitch! Taking 3 ultra balls and a net ball with only 1 HP!? Bullshit.

Chilly on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm going to go look at an apartment/room tomorrow and am mega nervous you guys. Mega nervous. >:

Kochikens on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Isn't finding random naked people to lounge around your house what Craigslist is for?

Well, yeah, if you want them to jack off in a hidden place while you're not looking and then leave quickly.

Believe me, you won't be getting your deposit back when you move out.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I'm going to go look at an apartment/room tomorrow and am mega nervous you guys. Mega nervous. >:

Where abouts? I swear if you somehow take my new place...

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Naw it's just a room, as in with a roommate. As in someone who I have to get along with to get it. On Marinaside Crescent.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Naw it's just a room, as in with a roommate. As in someone who I have to get along with to get it. On Marinaside Crescent.

Oooh. Well good luck, did you decide you couldn't live anymore with your old roommate?

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Naw the landlord is selling and my current 2 roomies are moving out with their SO's- This new place is potentially cheaper, and while it is an older building/probably a lower floor/maybe a less compatible roommate, I would have my own bathroom. Ooooo.

Where are you looking anyways?

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Own bathroom, fun! So much shower rootbeer.

As far as where I'm looking, honestly I'm not too sure yet. It'll depend how much I'm pulling in once my job goes FT. If I wanted convenience though probably something near Lougheed Town Center just cause I work near there. But living in Van would be nice as well.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mmmm, roomies aren't the worst thing. They can be duds or douches, but sometimes you get really good friends from it.

Chilly on
This discussion has been closed.