As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2010: On the Road Again

WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
Phew! That was a great PAX gathering... but wait, what's that in the distance? As you look around in the dark room known as PAX VOID you see a small glimpse of a light. Ignoring the fact that you may be fucking dead, you start to walk towards the light... only to realize that PAX Prime 2010 is only 150-sum days away! When you quickly scurry to make plans of attending this magically closer con date you think, "wow 12 months went by fast!" As you think of the real reason why it's so close, you run through your event protocols; your schedule, your money, your traveling methods, and how to cope with those 150 days without the enjoyment of PAX. It is that time again...

This is probably what you're going through right now, this is your life and this is your story of PAX... It's time to go on the road again to PAX: The Penny Arcade Expo Prime 2010! How/when/if you get there is the topic, and PRIME is the game, GO!

Available travel options:

Me first: I'm from the East coast and was thinking about flying to the origin of PAX Train [url/url] (oh wait, no linkage) and training it up, perhaps BYOC as well. (OUTDATED LULZ)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wingedillidan on

• klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm from long island myself your taking a plane to where? how much would it approximatly cost?I just might make it there.

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Forget the plane, join the CCST. Don't know what the CCST is? Check the video link in my sig. The best part is at the very end, so watch it all the way through (no it doesn't count if you cheat and skip to the end).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pax East being my first PAX, and after feeling what Wil Wheaton called "Post-PAX blues" I am totally considering making my way out to seattle for PAX Prime. IDK if that will become an established thing for me, but I know that I will be Attended PAX East from here on out.

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm from long island myself your taking a plane to where? how much would it approximatly cost?I just might make it there.

Last year's train trip originated in LA, but adds an extra $250+ to your travel fare, more if you want round-trip. It may be a stretch, but can be a good idea if you want extra PAX goodness.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Forget the plane, join the CCST. Don't know what the CCST is? Check the video link in my sig. The best part is at the very end, so watch it all the way through (no it doesn't count if you cheat and skip to the end).

I toyed with the idea last year, but it didn't work out... This is the year I want to block off two weeks and actually do this thing.

rufo on
  • klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GAh I clicked the link and I think I may have open a rift to another dimension,but seriously it might be something wrong with my pc but this weird code just shows up.

klokateer9047 on

edited March 2010
    That's odd, try right clicking and "save link as". It's a direct link to the video file, so it should just bring up a download dialogue.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2010

Perhaps, but that'll involve me adding +X days to my travel calender while trying to work over the summer to earn cash for PAX Prime/next year's PAX East. I'm also still under aged if that contributes or not (I saw you hit up that liquor store hard).

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd like to try for PAX West this year, but I don't know if I'd be able to afford the trip...

Just curious, anybody know whether flying to Seattle would be more/less expensive than the train?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    I'd like to try for PAX West this year, but I don't know if I'd be able to afford the trip...

Just curious, anybody know whether flying to Seattle would be more/less expensive than the train?

It depends on where you're coming from.

If you're coming from Boston... I see a dozen flights for under $350.

Amtrak? $394. And you're going to have to leave on Tuesday in order to get to PAX before it starts.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Qs23 wrote: »

Amtrak? $394. And you're going to have to leave on Tuesday in order to get to PAX before it starts.

Urgh, forget it then. Guess I'm flying.

Thanks for the info.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Qs23 wrote: »

Urgh, forget it then. Guess I'm flying.

Thanks for the info.

No problem. If there is anybody who's run the numbers on how to get to PAX, it's me.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm in the prestages of planning a meeting to schedule a board with the wife to discuss the possibility of going to PAX Prime. The issue at hand? Well, we're in Japan. So the main point is to risk using Space A Travel through the military, or go with the sure bet (and expensive bet) of commercial travel.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know, if you want to experience PAX train and you're coming from the east coast, you can always just go one way on it by flying into or out of Seattle for the other way.
    Personally, if I were coming from the east coast instead of right along the dang track, I'd fly into LA and take the train up then just fly back. It gives a good solid gaming start to the weekend. On the way back everyone's much more tired. And sick, if you count last year...

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • itzmattuitzmattu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PAX East was also my first PAX, and I already can't wait for Prime. Heck, I already have it on my calendar and everything. Luckily I landed a very lucrative internship over the summer programming for the government, so finding the funds won't be a problem.

My plans so far are to fly there and back, grab a hotel with a couple friends, and have the best possible time I can.

Looking forward to September. :]

itzmattu on
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was on the WCTT Last year, and took the train again for East. I recommend it more than words can express. If you order ahead (Eg nowish), the fares from LA are about $105. More obviously if you want a bed.

There were 3 or so D&D Games run during the trip, as well as masses - Masses, I say - Of card, board, DS and xbox games, including Rock Band and Guitar Hero in the basement. Yes, the train has a basement. Crazy, right?

Besides which, it's a Train full of PAXers. PAX on a Train. It kinda sells itself.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    nemaihne wrote: »
    You know, if you want to experience PAX train and you're coming from the east coast, you can always just go one way on it by flying into or out of Seattle for the other way.
    Personally, if I were coming from the east coast instead of right along the dang track, I'd fly into LA and take the train up then just fly back. It gives a good solid gaming start to the weekend. On the way back everyone's much more tired. And sick, if you count last year...

That's a fantastic idea.

I might just see if I can swing that.

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
    edited March 2010
    Deefuzz wrote: »
    That's a fantastic idea.

I might just see if I can swing that.
    Awesome. We will see you there.

smerk on
    edited March 2010
    The train departing from Los Angeles (LAX) costs about $102.00 to Seattle, Washington (one-way). But it is a 34.5 hour trip, so a room would be around $283.00-$781.00, depending on room type. This is all in addition to your travel fare if you are not on the PAX Train route(s).

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Flying as usual. Only 14 more years till my kid is out of the house and I can do CCST!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wanna go to prime so bad it's not funny. Can't seem to seriously consider it for far too many reasons (I have NEVER missed our Labor Day Weekend horse show, would have to leave hubby home with the farm -shudder- and travelling alone is nerve-wrcking). I would seriously take the train all the way from Boston if I could, though. It sound like a blast.

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
    edited March 2010
    jonxp wrote: »
    Flying as usual. Only 14 more years till my kid is out of the house and I can do CCST!

Or CCST WITH your kid in 11-13 years (assuming departing age is 18).

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited March 2010
    Where can I find more paxtrain info? things like prices,times and locations?? or does that all come up later on?

klokateer9047 on

edited March 2010
    Where can I find more paxtrain info? things like prices,times and locations?? or does that all come up later on?

I dunno if anyone's organizing this year, although kudos to those who do each year because it's a lot of work. PAXtrain traditionally is the Coast Starlight, running up the coast from LA to Seattle with various stations between. The trains are numbers 11 and 14 although you don't need to know that as it will say "Coast Starlight" when you go to book tickets.
    Traditionally, the northbound (14) train leaves Wed morning of PAX week from LA. That's Sept 1 for this year. It hits SF that evening, Portland the next afternoon and then Seattle about 9PM
    The return trip (11) leaves Seattle at like 10AM and has always been the Monday after PAX- this year that would be Sept 6th. It arrives ohmigod early into Sacramento, in the morning to SF and that evening into LA.
    There are always card and tabletop games because we're all gamers so we carry them. The guys who organize to an amazing job putting together gaming systems and for the past couple years have taken over the 'game room' (used to be the kiddie lounge) for rock band as well as us sprawling all over the obs deck for tabletop and the lounge car as well if you're in the sleepers.
    Prices you can get from Amtrak.com and depend on where you are traveling from, whether you can get student/AAA/military discounts whether you want a sleeper and when you book them. They're really old fashioned so whatever you do don't get those tickets printed a second earlier than you have to- it doesn't matter when you buy, just don't get them printed. They're cash in hand once they're printed: no changes and if you lose them it's like dropping money.
    Does that help?

nemaihne on
    edited March 2010

I dunno if anyone's organizing this year, although kudos to those who do each year because it's a lot of work. PAXtrain traditionally is the Coast Starlight, running up the coast from LA to Seattle with various stations between. The trains are numbers 11 and 14 although you don't need to know that as it will say "Coast Starlight" when you go to book tickets.
    Traditionally, the northbound (14) train leaves Wed morning of PAX week from LA. That's Sept 1 for this year. It hits SF that evening, Portland the next afternoon and then Seattle about 9PM
    The return trip (11) leaves Seattle at like 10AM and has always been the Monday after PAX- this year that would be Sept 6th. It arrives ohmigod early into Sacramento, in the morning to SF and that evening into LA.
    There are always card and tabletop games because we're all gamers so we carry them. The guys who organize to an amazing job putting together gaming systems and for the past couple years have taken over the 'game room' (used to be the kiddie lounge) for rock band as well as us sprawling all over the obs deck for tabletop and the lounge car as well if you're in the sleepers.
    Does that help?

Totally,thanks alot!:mrgreen:

klokateer9047 on

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm either going to be living in seattle or....

Dramatic pause for epicness

Actually using the CCST to move to Seattle. If only I can find a chase car and some people who know how to drive stick

JonnyNero on
    edited April 2010
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    I'm either going to be living in seattle or....

Dramatic pause for epicness

Actually using the CCST to move to Seattle. If only I can find a chase car and some people who know how to drive stick

Ok, so here's what you do.. get a big rig moving truck and/or large U-Haul.. use 1/4 of it for moving crap, and 3/4 of it for a party bus and load it with gaming shtuff!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, uh, you can't be in the back of a uhaul while it's in motion. You know, laws and stuff

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    Yeah, uh, you can't be in the back of a uhaul while it's in motion. You know, laws and stuff

Who's gonna know... we're shipping LIVE ANIMALS known as Homo Gamians.

*Edit: This and the previous thread by me are jokes, do not try this at home or on the road ;).
    Not planning on going CCST either though :*(.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, well, we try not to break laws like that on the CCST, considering the number of state lines that we cross would probably make it a federal offense.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Prices you can get from Amtrak.com and depend on where you are traveling from, whether you can get student/AAA/military discounts whether you want a sleeper and when you book them. They're really old fashioned so whatever you do don't get those tickets printed a second earlier than you have to- it doesn't matter when you buy, just don't get them printed. They're cash in hand once they're printed: no changes and if you lose them it's like dropping money.
    Does that help?

i'm hopefully going to be putting up a thread for that some time soon . . . currently working on the new promo vid

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of threads being put up, I just launched the CCST 2010 thread.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    i'm hopefully going to be putting up a thread for that some time soon . . . currently working on the new promo vid
    Already bought my ticket :)

smerk on
    edited April 2010

Woo Hoo! Thanks, TCM!

nemaihne on
    edited April 2010
    Soo many choices, so little time! 3 options to go, 1 (or 2) to pick. Drive, train, or fly? Or teleport if you can find a way.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
This discussion has been closed.