Options

Scam Artists

• Options
    OverOver ...laser cats? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I got hustled out of 20 bucks while visiting New York yesterday.

Still feelin' pretty stupid and ashamed about that.

Dudes were doing something similar to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-TURhK90_8

How the fuck do you fall for this there is no way.

I think they pick people that they feel are susceptible to it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derren_Brown

same dude who did that trick where he put a zombie video game into a pub, hypnotized someone playing it and moved them into a live action version of the game where they shot actors dressed as zombies.

guy basically makes his living getting people to do crazy things through suggestion and confirmation bias.

Over on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Over wrote: »

same dude who did that trick where he put a zombie video game into a pub, hypnotized someone playing it and moved them into a live action version of the game where they shot actors dressed as zombies.

guy basically makes his living getting people to do crazy things through suggestion and confirmation bias.
    he looks like a goddamn wizard

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A few years ago I was walking through the center of my home town in summer when I saw a guy in a wheelchair who looked somewhat distressed. He kept trying to get people's attention as they went past but everyone ignored him. As I walked past he asked me "Hey, listen, can you push me up this hill? I just came all the way from the other side of town and I am so tired"

So I thought I would do the nice thing and push him up the hill, no skin off my nose really as I was going that way. As we're going up the hill, he tells me his name, thanks me. I tell him mine. But after a minute or two he starts telling me about his problems. Oh dear. He's got "the diabetes" and has to lose a leg. And he has no money. And he needs a place stay. "Say, Steve, you wouldnt have a place I could stay would you?" At this time I was still living with my parents, so I explained to him that wasn't possible (not that I would have let a diabetic wheelchair bound stranger stay with me if I did have my own place) and he seemed kind of annoyed by this "Hmph. Everyone's the same"

He then asked me if I had any money. I explained that I had recently lost my job and I was actually in town to sign on at the job center. Again, this pissed him off. We were nearly at the top of the hill and he starts getting annoyed "Ten quid to you is nothing. it is ALOT to me. Look there is a cashpoint at the top of this hill, could you just get me out a tenner and we'll call it even?" I repeated that I did not have ten pounds to spare, and I just pushed him up a hill when no one else would, so we're already even. He starts getting annoyed at me, calling me selfish. I get to the top of the hill and say "There, you're up the hill" and start walking away.

At which point he starts shouting after me infront of everyone as if I have just pushed him somewhere without him asking. "What are you doing you little prick? Take me back down. What the fuck are you doing? Where are you going yor four eyed little cunt?" I turn around and give him the V sign and keep walking.

I felt pretty friggin stupid let me tell you. I shouldn't, I know, as I was just being a nice guy. But people like that have made it very hard for me to feel like I should help genuinely vulnerable people out since.

I made a thread about this a couple years ago when it happened, it was pretty hilarious. We ended up making diagrams of alternate conclusions to the story. My favorite was pushing the guy back down the hill.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In terms of falling for scams, I used to "work" for Vector Marketing/Cutco.

Paid more money than I got out of it, for a show-off set to use as I invaded people's home and lives and to keep afterward.

All in all, at least I came away with a little less naiveté and some sweet knives.

Hey I did that too

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I like the one where he plays 9 chess experts simultaneously and manages to beat 5 of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZmpsl3jI0

Even once you know how he does it that is a very impressive feat of memory.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    OverOver ...laser cats? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I made a thread about this a couple years ago when it happened, it was pretty hilarious. We ended up making diagrams of alternate conclusions to the story. My favorite was pushing the guy back down the hill.

did anyone suggest re-enacting the "He's a faker" scene from the big lebowski?

Over on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I encountered what I'm fairly certain was a con in Paris as well. The louis vuiton shop was being renovated while we were there and they'd taken up temporary residence around the corner. we were approached by this Japanese lady who spun this story about how she wanted to buy a set of luggage but the shop had a one item per customer policy and could we buy her whatever and she'd give us a cheque for it?

I mean come on, really? Pfff.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I like the one where he plays 9 chess experts simultaneously and manages to beat 5 of them:

Derren Brown can be pretty entertaining, but there's only so many times I can watch him remember things, or ask someone to think of something, and then tell them what they were thinking of.

I mean, he's on TV alot here and that's pretty much his repertoire.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Derren Brown can be pretty entertaining, but there's only so many times I can watch him remember things, and then ask you to think of something, and then tell you what you were thinking of.

As someone who's not British and therefore doesn't have much exposure to him I am happy to say that I don't share that sentiment!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Derren Brown can be pretty entertaining, but there's only so many times I can watch him remember things, and then ask you to think of something, and then tell you what you were thinking of.

As someone who's not British and therefore doesn't have much exposure to him I am happy to say that I don't share that sentiment!

He did a show here where he predicted the lottery numbers.

It was kind of an impressive trick. But for weeks afterwards people were talking about it. "Oh my god. How did he do it?"

He didn't. Godammit people, he didn't.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It was kind of an impressive trick. But for weeks afterwards people were talking about it. "Oh my god. How did he do it?"

Yeah I saw that, and also a related video showing the camera trick he used to do it. That one was kind of hokey.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, and in havana we were approached by this couple in a park square who 'wanted to practice their english'. We were just strolling so we chatted for a bit and then I notice that there were one or two other couples approaching other tourist couples as well, so I figure something is up. Sure enough eventually they get on to the subject of cigars and taking us to a place where we could buy them cheap. Uh, no, we'll be off now.

I swear, I must look like the dumbest shit to foreigners.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yeah I saw that, and also a related video showing the camera trick he used to do it. That one was kind of hokey.

You did?

I saw lots of amatures proving they could use camera trickery to do the same trick. But is there an official video showing how he did it?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Haha, also a gypsy kid tried to steal my pain au chocolat at the eifel tower but I come from a family of five siblings and my food defence reflexes are nigh on lethal.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i was strolling in the suburbs around north sydney one day when a guy in a merc cruises up alongside me, rolls down his window and casts his hokey story:

he's a fashion designer from italy (note the convincing outer western suburbs accent, mate) and he's just had a show at one of the big westfield malls. he's got to get to the airport right away, but the problem is he's got all of these armani items in his boot - and customs will only let him go through with so much! he practically has to dump the stuff but hey, if you're keen, he can sell it cheap, what do you think?

i wish i had some clever retort but at the time i was unemployed so i mentioned that and he drove off. i guess he'd already wasted too much time when his plane seat was waiting

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

You did?

I saw lots of amatures proving they could use camera trickery to do the same trick. But is there an official video showing how he did it?

It wasn't out and out explaining how it was done, but it was cut footage where someone's hand appeared in such a way that showed how it was a composite image.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i was strolling in the suburbs around north sydney one day when a guy in a merc cruises up alongside me, rolls down his window and casts his hokey story:

he's a fashion designer from italy (note the convincing outer western suburbs accent, mate) and he's just had a show at one of the big westfield malls. he's got to get to the airport right away, but the problem is he's got all of these armani items in his boot - and customs will only let him go through with so much! he practically has to dump the stuff but hey, if you're keen, he can sell it cheap, what do you think?

i wish i had some clever retort but at the time i was unemployed so i mentioned that and he drove off. i guess he'd already wasted too much time when his plane seat was waiting

Shoulda asked him what time his imaginary flight was, then proceeded to browse his wares in the most delayed fashion. See if he figures out you're just wasting his time.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

did anyone suggest re-enacting the "He's a faker" scene from the big lebowski?
    Yeah.

And I would have totally pushed him back down the hill.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Derren Brown is pretty cool, but that zombie thing was rubbish. He used a stooge. Thankfully he has steered very wide of doing anything that obvious since.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My family will never let me live down the time when I gave a 20-dollar bill to a homeless guy. I didn't have small change and I was embarrassed after fishing in my wallet to just not give him anything. So yeah, I can scam myself, no clever tricks required.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ashcroft wrote: »

Derren Brown is pretty cool, but that zombie thing was rubbish. He used a stooge. Thankfully he has steered very wide of doing anything that obvious since.

That was utterly rediculous, but it remains one of his most popular tricks amongst the idiotic masses.

Speaking of idiotic masses. Did anyone watch his "Stuck to the chair" thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrSwRfLdBRY

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Let's consider the big butt question for a moment.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I feel like I scammed the Masons.

I got a 500 dollar scholarship from them and wound up spending nearly that much on video games my first year of college. I do feel a little bad about it.

They are going to come in their tiny cars and kill me aren't they?

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's this guy who walks around downtown SF selling roses. The instant somebody says they're not interested, he starts crying, like he's flipped a switch. I guess he can cry on command.

Anyway, one time I saw him turn on the waterworks for some tourists, who just walked away. 5 minutes later, I saw him walking down the street, talking on his cellphone, happy as can be.

He must not be good at remembering faces, because he's given me the exact same pitch a few times.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's the shriners, I think.

Masons also have funny hats though.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought Shriners were associated with them or something. Like a Mason is the evolved form of a Shriner. Like Pokemon.

Of course giving 500 bucks to a kid going into college knowing nothing about him is in no way smart.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Shriners are Masons: if you are a Master Mason you are invited to be a Shriner.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I got a 500 dollar scholarship from them and wound up spending nearly that much on video games my first year of college. I do feel a little bad about it.

man what is the deal with the tiny cars

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tossrock wrote: »

Ladies love the (tiny) car.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Tossrock wrote: »

it's kind of the reverse of dudes who buy really big or really fast cars

those shriners don't have anything to compensate for

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's the opposite of over compensating.

"Look how tiny my car is I must have a huge dick to be cool with this."

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    too slow platy 8-)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well I'm not gonna worry about it.

Cause my dick is a-ok.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    too slow platy 8-)

He's trying to...compensate

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The Masons are starting to look really cool. SE++ should join the Masons en masse. We could control the world that way. (Or, raise a lot of money for sick kids and wear funny hats -- but same thing, right?)

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He who wears the funny hat holds the reins of the world

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I gotta say they did seem to be really cool dudes. The one that I went to they just had the really greasy breakfast they served and it was like a "you can bring someone" day or something. Just a bunch of old nice hard-working southern men shootin the shit. Kind of want to know more about what they do though, if only because of "secrets" they have.

There was also one creepy guy talking about how hot Marilyn Monroe and a few other actresses were. I don't think he was a member but he creeped me the hell out.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jedoc wrote: »
    What really pisses me off about most scams is that they tend to prey on people's charitable impulses. There are plenty of perfectly workable short cons that rely on the mark thinking that they can turn an easy profit off someone else's misfortune. Shysters these days just have no pride in their work.

This just reminded me of a pretty good... um... South American? film I saw years ago about con artistry.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    My family will never let me live down the time when I gave a 20-dollar bill to a homeless guy. I didn't have small change and I was embarrassed after fishing in my wallet to just not give him anything. So yeah, I can scam myself, no clever tricks required.

That's not a scam
    That's just giving money to the homeless

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    The Masons are starting to look really cool. SE++ should join the Masons en masse. We could control the world that way. (Or, raise a lot of money for sick kids and wear funny hats -- but same thing, right?)

But I'm already a Mason.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.