As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catan for XBLA: Coming in May!

2»

• Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    does this let you play with the event cards, or does it fix the broken dice mechanic? Base Catan is one of the most painful gaming experiences ever.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Xieflow wrote:
    does this let you play with the event cards, or does it fix the broken dice mechanic? Base Catan is one of the most painful gaming experiences ever.

Plenty of people enjoy the base Catan game. I don't see how the "dice mechanic" is broken. It seems fine to me, and its randomness is part of the appeal.

A lot of European board-game fanatics look down at Catan, but I can usually find more people who are willing to play it with me than would play something like Tigris and Euphrates.

Catan and Carcassonne are the two board games that I play most, and both are fantastic.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    LeftoverPenguinLeftoverPenguin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The_Dciple wrote:
    Regular old Catan gets pretty dull after awhile compared to playing it with the expansions.

It's still a great game, but I love me the expansions.

LeftoverPenguin on
    Ghostbuster.png
    360a1csz9.gif
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:

Plenty of people enjoy the base Catan game. I don't see how the "dice mechanic" is broken. It seems fine to me, and its randomness is part of the appeal.

A lot of European board-game fanatics look down at Catan, but I can usually find more people who are willing to play it with me than would play something like Tigris and Euphrates.

Catan and Carcassonne are the two board games that I play most, and both are fantastic.

I really like catan with the event cards + cities and knights expansion, but with just the base game, and especially with just the dice, it gets really frustrating. The dice never follow the rules of probability, and it often turns out that 12 comes up almost every damn turn or something equally bizzare. The cards remain random, but give the game a fairly even distribution, so you actually do see 8s and 9s more than 2s and 11s.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In my opinion, it's almost a 100% given the expansions will come out as Marketplace Content you have to pay for.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Xieflow wrote:
    I really like catan with the event cards + cities and knights expansion, but with just the base game, and especially with just the dice, it gets really frustrating. The dice never follow the rules of probability, and it often turns out that 12 comes up almost every damn turn or something equally bizzare. The cards remain random, but give the game a fairly even distribution, so you actually do see 8s and 9s more than 2s and 11s.

i.. don't know what dice you're playing with, but.. i see plenty of the mid-numbers, and fewer of the rarer ones when playing.
    Also, everyone in my family enjoys playing this game, so here's a group of europeans who like it, for a start.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    Also, everyone in my family enjoys playing this game, so here's a group of europeans who like it, for a start.

Well, when I said "European board game fanatics" above, I meant outspoken fanatics about European boardgames (mostly from the US), not board game fans from Europe.

On board game discussion groups, you often see Catan being dismissed as "too simplistic" or "too chance-based", and other more complex games being recommended instead.

I like simplistic board games like Catan, Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride. You can teach them easily, and the difference between experienced players and beginners is reduced somewhat by the element of chance.

Marlor on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    darleysam wrote:

Well, when I said "European board game fanatics" above, I meant outspoken fanatics about European boardgames (mostly from the US), not board game fans from Europe.

On board game discussion groups, you often see Catan being dismissed as "too simplistic" or "too chance-based", and other more complex games being recommended instead.

I like simplistic board games like Catan, Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride. You can teach them easily, and the difference between experienced players and beginners is reduced somewhat by the element of chance.
    ah, fair enough, i can see that. I guess it's horses for courses. Personally, i'm not a big fan of games like Risk or Diplomacy, but i'm not a 'hardcore board gamer' by any means.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DasBoot wrote:
    Man... I never get to play Settlers anymore.

This, SoTN, Castle Crashers, Metal Fucking Slug..

I've never been a big fan, but Microsoft really has me by the balls these days.

And I like it.

WHOA! Just reading through this thread and had to stop and ask....METAL SLUG is coming to XBLA? (please?) Seeing as I have no other way to get this game...this would really be great for me personally.:shock:

Scotty on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:

Catan and Carcassonne are fun, although I think I prefer Puerto Rico more. Certainly more than vanilla Catan, although the expansions may hold an edge. The problem with PR is that it's so intimidating the first time you play, though. But the game becomes so frigging simple once you've played once. Well, simple to understand, at least. Still very complex.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Catan XBLA video! Of note:

- A "learn as you play" option for new people.

- A download content menu option, looks like you expansion people will be eventually appeased.

- Sexy as fuck.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Registered User new member
    edited February 2007
    For those who like to fiddle with the Dice mechanics, there are various "House Rules" available, including the "event deck", and also rules you can make about the Robber, etc. Of course for "Ranked" multiplayer it's the standard rules.

On the "fancy" skin, the chits appear whenever you need them (i.e. you're placing a new building), and you can summon them any time with the Right Trigger.

Brian

Brian Reynolds on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fantastic interview over at Joystiq.

Just... go read it, and drool.

rufo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn. I might as well just go ahead and give Microsoft direct access to my bank account.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn. I might as well just go ahead and give Microsoft direct access to my bank account.

Isn't that what buying $50 worth of MS points is for?

(not that I've done that yet... but I'm thinking about it just so I don't have to worry about refilling. It's not like they go bad or anything.)

Also, I'd like to point out that The Man himself posted on this page. Brian, if you're reading this... you, good sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Keep up the good work.

rufo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, the first thing I did when I signed up was get the $50 worth of points, and promptly blew most of it on Lumines, Oblivion downloads, Zuma, and some TV shows.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have no fucking clue what is going on in Eets Chowdown, but it looks stunning.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't wait for this... looks awesome! Good to see a 60 second turn limit too, although that might be a bit short when trying to trade.

Does the game support 3-6 players? I'm guessing multiplayer is limited to online so that you can't see opponents cards.

Suckafish on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    After reading the interview...wow. Brian, it's obvious that you guys sank a lot of time and effort into the game to get it just right. Good to see, and I can't wait to snag this one.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »
    Catan XBLA video! Of note:

- A "learn as you play" option for new people.

- A download content menu option, looks like you expansion people will be eventually appeased.

- Sexy as fuck.

Seconded!. I think this game should be a great way to get ;

A. People who don't own this board game to play it
    B. A place where other people want to play this game as well.
    C. Saying " I have wood for sheep" on XBLA without it being too uncomfortable

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Paging Brian Reynolds! Devoted Catan fans want to know how cert is going. News on Catan has been rather nonexistent. =(

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I wish Catan was coming out instead of TMNT.

DAMN YOU TURTLES! ya, The hand should of killed the turtles long ago so we don't have to suffer from a new crappy turtles movie.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

DAMN YOU TURTLES! ya, The hand should of killed the turtles long ago so we don't have to suffer from a new crappy turtles movie.

The hand? I thought their enemies were The Foot?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Wang, mayhap?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »

The hand? I thought their enemies were The Foot?

Oh shi.. wrong universe. Damn you electra!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never played Catan, and I love board games.

Can anyone point me to the rules, or summarise the kind of things you do in the game?

Because this looks really nice, and I'm a fan of the live arcade.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I've never played Catan, and I love board games.

Can anyone point me to the rules, or summarise the kind of things you do in the game?

Because this looks really nice, and I'm a fan of the live arcade.

www.profeasy.com
    www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13

And for more in-depth info:
    www.universityofcatan.com

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Catan coming next month! OP updated to reflect this.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So... end of May, probably? I wish it was more specific since, you know, May is next week. Just the same, it will be freaking awesome to finally have it.

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Has anyone else noticed that the old version of Catan Online seems to have completely disappeared?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.