As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bungie signs 10 year deal with Activision - Next Bungie Game Coming to All Platforms

FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid25920
The story of Bungie is wild, winding, and full of majestic wonder. We’ve treaded many pathways over these last nineteen years. But for all the twists and turns we’ve taken, we’re still doing what we set out to do from the beginning, back when the whole of “Bungie Software Products Corporation” consisted of two friends operating out of a basement in Chicago:

Making kick ass games that we want to play.

And as Bungie has grown, the industry’s best and brightest have been totally accretive to our own creative margins. It’s no secret that while the full might of our studio has focused on making Halo: Reach, another core team, led by our co-founder and Studio Creative Director, Jason Jones, has already begun laying the groundwork to bring our newest universe, stories, and characters to life.

Today, we’re poised to open a new chapter in Bungie’s history—one that begins with a partnership between Bungie and Activision and ends where we always knew it would, with World Domination. Our Next Big Thing now has a concrete path, leading from our studio to the platforms of our choosing. The business formalities are behind us. Our Constitution remains unchanged. We are still Bungie, still independent, and now we are free to bring our stories to an ever bigger audience.

Next up, the most ambitious game we’ve ever made, Halo: Reach. Built upon ten years of experience developing the Halo franchise, we’ve assembled the best team, the best technology, and the best talent to ensure that Reach is the game our fans deserve. Strap in and buckle up tight, we’re sending our baby out with a bang.

Once the smoke clears, all the pieces will finally be in place for Step 7. Don’t worry, though. We won’t let World Domination go to our heads. We’re gonna keep making kick ass games on our own terms, and since you’ve been so supportive throughout the years, we’d love to bring you along for the ride.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BUNGIE AND ACTIVISION ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE, WORLDWIDE PARTNERSHIP

10-Year Alliance Expands Global Reach for Leading Game Developer Across Multiple Platforms

Kirkland, WA and Santa Monica, CA – April 29, 2010 -- Bungie, the developer of blockbuster game franchises including Halo, Myth and Marathon, and Activision, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, the #1 online games publisher (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that they have entered into an exclusive 10-year partnership to bring Bungie’s next big action game universe to market. Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

The groundbreaking alliance will provide Bungie its first such partnership since splitting off from Microsoft in 2007, significantly broadening its global reach by providing the resources and support to develop, distribute and release games worldwide on multiple platforms and devices.

Activision will broaden its portfolio with a new franchise from one of the industry’s most creative, successful and proven studios, whose games have sold more than 25 million units worldwide. To date, Bungie’s Halo games have generated approximately $1.5 billion in revenues, according to The NPD Group, Charttrack and GfK. Activision expects this agreement to be accretive to its operating margins as of the release of the first game.

“We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise,” said Harold Ryan, President of Bungie. “From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences.”

“Bungie is one of the premier studios in our industry and we are extremely pleased to have the opportunity to work with their talented team over the next decade,” stated Thomas Tippl, Chief Operating Officer of Activision Blizzard. “Bungie has developed some of the most compelling and successful games, multiplayer experiences and thriving fan communities, and this alliance underscores our long-standing commitment to foster the industry’s best creative talent. Our unprecedented partnership with Bungie will enable us to broaden our pipeline of exciting new games as we continue to strengthen our industry position and pursue long-term growth opportunities.”

FyreWulff on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Raaaape!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh shit, that's pretty big news.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, they're still independent and retain whole ownership over their IP and all, but goddamn if it doesn't stir a bad feeling.

So this is just a deal for their new IP from how it reads, exclusive publishing and distribution rights for everything with that IP for 10 years.

It all sounds fine on the surface, but still, jeeze, dealing with the devil Bungie.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god, Activision is going to crow to the skies.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I'm wondering if Activision actually owns the new IP or if they just have exclusive publishing rights to any game they put out for the next 10 years, but Bungie retains the IP.

Which at the pace that Bungie makes games, covers about 3 games.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Call of Halo Modern Covenant
    FyreWulff wrote: »

The pace that Bungie used to make games

Alternatively: That's what Treyarch's for!

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    RAMIREZ RUN TO THE STORE

*wonky running animation*

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I'm wondering if Activision actually owns the new IP or if they just have exclusive publishing rights to any game they put out for the next 10 years, but Bungie retains the IP.

Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property.
    Sounds pretty clear Bungie keeps it all, Acti just gets the exclusive rights on that particular IP for 10 years.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Also I wonder if the new game is going multiplat immediately.

They'll pretty much have to if they want to stay independent.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    All the same, I wish Bungie the best. They're a pretty good game studio.

Jintor on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
    Their soulllllllll

Alegis on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish they'd make a new Myth game. Their RTS offerings were always more fun to me than their FPS stuff.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Also I wonder if the new game is going multiplat immediately.

They'll pretty much have to if they want to stay independent.

Seems likely. I wonder if seeing the Bungie logo on a handheld or a PS3 will feel as weird as it did the first time I saw it on an Xbox after playing their games on Mac for so many years.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, that's a mighty good way to replace Infinity Ward, I have to admit.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think anyone saw this coming.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Call of Duty: Future Warfare

The perfect way to make Halo without calling it Halo!

(kidding. well aware Bungie doesnt WANT to make another Halo...)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have the overwhelming feeling that Bungie is playing with fire here.

Wasn't Activision withholding royalties for IW to make MW3? Why the hell would you want to risk allying with a company willing to do that?

Edit: Bet Bungie is 'pressured' into making another Halo game.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish they'd make a new Myth game. Their RTS offerings were always more fun to me than their FPS stuff.

Activision has a problem with anything being anything related to an RTS.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property.
    Sounds pretty clear Bungie keeps it all, Acti just gets the exclusive rights on that particular IP for 10 years.

Don't worry, Activision has all that time to find a way to screw over Bungie.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Depending on how deep Bungie's pockets are they could always just drop the new IP if Activision tries to screw them and start another with EA or god-forbid self-publish.

I guess it will depend on how much of the Reach monies M$ lets them keep. I hope they push a lot of map packs and DLC out for Reach and support it for a while. It sucked having MS hold on to the map packs for H3 FOREVER.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Activision IS evil, but I can't help thinking that Bungie managed to secure a pretty good deal considering the other options Activision had was allowing Bungie to turn around and make a deal with EA or Ubisoft, and Activision probably needs a big name under their wing after they butchered everything else they had.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still can't help but feel that Activision will try and pull something that will just be painful for everyone involved.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Things will be honkydory for the first couple years, and then Bungie is probably going to resent Activision's business model. People are going to walk away from this deal unhappy, at the end of it. Bungie ain't going to be destroyed though, more of just have this stigma or black mark on their reputation.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I still can't help but feel that Activision will try and pull something that will just be painful for everyone involved.

Well of course, anything else wouldn't make any sense. It's Activision.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The weirdest thing to me is that Bungie seems to be very down to Earth with it's community and the people who work there. I really am curious what the current employees are thinking, especially with the whole "they didnt pay Infinity Ward" thing...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm wondering about one thing though.

When they write down stuff like
    "From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences."
    who are they actually talking to? I mean, who do they honestly believe would buy that nonsense?

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, I imagine for starters that they are working on an upfront money agreement instead of a royalty model

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I would also imagine that the press release was written a while before this IWard shit went down

Jintor on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What? That seems like an exceedingly stupid move, but what do I know? Oh well, I guess it saves me having to buy Reach.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What? That seems like an exceedingly stupid move, but what do I know? Oh well, I guess it saves me having to buy Reach.

What does this have to do with Reach?

Arteen on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why would you not buy Reach because of this? Activision had NOTHING to do with Reach...

Huntera on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if the IW fiasco has anyone at Bungie worried about Activision's commitment.

And I can't believe EA and MS wouldn't pony up the cash for this exclusivity.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hell, I'm just happy that Bungie won't be restricted to development for a single gaming platform now.

Who knows? I may even get to play a new Bungie game on my PEEEEE CEEEEEEEEE!

What kind of crazy shit would that be? Playing Bungie games on a home computer? That's just insane!

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Activision just confirmed that Bungie's next game is coming to "all platforms". So, 360/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac Bungie title incoming, yo

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bungie Wii title?

Wow. I can't image how odd that'd feel to play...

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Guitar Hero: Modern Fanfare

by ActivisionBungie

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Activision isn't publishing Reach?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Verflutche wrote: »
    Bungie Wii title?

Wow. I can't image how odd that'd feel to play...

It will feel exactly like every other rail shooter/half-assed downgraded version of every game that goes to every platform feels. Ugh.

I'd love to see Bungie DEVELOP a Wii game, but my guess is Bungie is making a game for the 360/PS3 and Activision is going to cram it into every console it can with as much tender love and care as they're known for.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Activision isn't publishing Reach?

No, Microsoft is.

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, ok then.

PolloDiablo on