Options

PATV - Drugs

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nogs wrote: »
    right now compulsive exercise is kind of categorized as an eating disorder/form of anorexia, though either way it stems from the more general problem of anxiety/depression.

Kinda veering way off the point by now. That sort of compulsive exercise stems from the poor self body image and the 'need' to make yourself thinner or more fit constantly. Whereas what I thought you were talking about was when people got 'addicted' to exercise and the 'runner's high' aspect.

Completely off the track from generalized depression and anxiety.

man, if you don't call that anxiety, i don't know what is.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    This of course makes the base assumption that your issues stem from decisions that you make, rather than a chemical imbalence - whatever that may be.

Chemical imbalances aren't pseudoscience, despite your attitude.

And anyone handing out prescriptions is going to have to determine that the person getting the pills needs them; they aren't just handing them out to everyone who just watched the beginning of "Up".

I don't know where you're getting the impression that I think that it's a pseudoscience, I was merely assuming that there are many different kinds of chemical imbalences. I doubt that all issues stem from a lack or over abundance of one chemical. I actually agree with Jerry that it is interesting that mood is also a result of chemicals within the mind, or however he put it.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder if Jerry is down for mushrooms.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder if Jerry is down for mushrooms.

I got all excited at that part and was thinking the same thing and then Mike told that story and...

NEVERMIND D:

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This episode was kind of bittersweet. :(

Also for the love of god what is that song in that PAX09 DVD ad at the beginning

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Veretas wrote: »

Also for the love of god what is that song in that PAX09 DVD ad at the beginning

"Helix Nebula" by Anamanaguchi

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am so glad those gentlemen are doing the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That album is free, btw.

Man, I'm watching ECPAX panels on Youtube. It's painful to watch Gabe and Tycho do commentary on the New Hire episode because it means I have to watch it again.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

We've had a thread made at least once a week, every week, asking the same question.

For shame, Veretas.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That album is free, btw.

beg pardon?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    That album is free, btw.

beg pardon?

Oh, right. I had totally forgotten.

They've got the album containing Helix Nebula, "Power Supply", up for free through 8bitpeoples - Here

BoomShake on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to be on Zoloft, that stuff was fucked. It gave me suicidal tendancies, not cured the problems I had. I told the Doctor that I was going cold turkey from 150mgs a day and he said it was "Unwise and dangerous"

The day I got off them was the day I was on my feet and I realised there is no cure for this.

Well that and I was mis-diagnosed.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »

We've had a thread made at least once a week, every week, asking the same question.

For shame, Veretas.

I'm a terrible person, I know. But on the bright side that's one less person asking!

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    I used to be on Zoloft, that stuff was fucked. It gave me suicidal tendancies, not cured the problems I had. I told the Doctor that I was going cold turkey from 150mgs a day and he said it was "Unwise and dangerous"

The day I got off them was the day I was on my feet and I realised there is no cure for this.

He's right though. If the medication is a strong enough dose and you go cold turkey on it you can get extremely sick. It's more like withdrawal than anything.

I used to take Zoloft, went cold turkey, and it turns out my dose was too small anyway.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Jesus, I had no idea so many of you were on medication

is it that common in America?

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Forumite wrote: »

Depression/anxiety medication is pretty popular in America, yeah. It also seems to be common on the internet, and at times especially the forums.

Javen on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am so glad those gentlemen are doing the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack

What, serious?

Man, sweet.

sarukun on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know lots of people on depression meds here in America. My best friend and I both were on a number of them and went off of them together to try and handle things for ourselves. It was the best decision we had ever made, as I guess psych meds just didn't work right for us. We have extremely similar bi-polar disorders that we have learned to treat ourselves over time.

Just recently she moved back home to Washington and now we are truly on our own for dealing with our bi-polar. It has been working out fine so far. I mean we call each other and stuff when we need someone to talk to, but it's a big step not having each other there in person.

For us another human being that understood was far more helpful than any medication could have been.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah, it's popular

i thought 'you know what'll make me fit in at school? a suicide attempt!'

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sometimes i think i have depression, but that always depresses me, so i don't think about it.

also on the rare occasions i contemplate suicide it makes me think how much of a selfish fucking douchebag i am to even think about doing something like that to my family and it makes me depressed.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anytime I think about killing myself I'm reminded of how it made me feel when my cousin killed himself and then I get angry at him for doing that.

Years later, still so mad.
    And sad :(

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When I was at my worst I was convinced that I was selfish for not killing myself, and that any short-term tragedy that caused my family would be made up for by the lack of financial burden and me not being around to constantly disappoint them.

The fact that I honestly thought that way less than a year ago really kind of blows my mind.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BYToady wrote: »
    Anytime I think about killing myself I'm reminded of how it made me feel when my cousin killed himself and then I get angry at him for doing that.

Years later, still so mad.
    And sad :(

my older brother killed himself and my dad tried once by mixing booze and pain pills after my mom left, so most of the time when i think about killing myself i think about that night, at three in the morning, when my grandmother and grandfather came to our house and sat us all down on the couch and told us what happened to Steven and i decide that no amount of personal pain or fake-problems could ever be worth seeing my mom at another funeral for one of her boys.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That sucks Metz, I hope that at least your dad was able to get some help with his problems and is doing better.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well he's not suicidal any more, but he's still addicted to pain meds, to the point where no local hospitals will give him any pain meds. He has to go to Seattle. :| I want to talk to him about it but I just don't know how.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, watching this episode reminds me how relatively easy my own struggle with depression was. It was purely psychological, not clinical, so all I needed to do was sort of..."fix" my personality. I had to get a new perspective on life. Which, while certainly not easy, also doesn't seem nearly as difficult as what Mike and Jerry had to do.

My best friend, however, is clinically depressed, and he and his parents are still trying to find a treatment that works well for him. There was a particularly bad time a couple years ago where an medication he was taking nearly made him suicidal. That was pretty scary.

So...uh...yeah. This episode hit home for me.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Forumite wrote: »

Depression/anxiety medication is pretty popular in America, yeah. It also seems to be common on the internet, and at times especially the forums.

We're all crazy here on these forums.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    whenever I had thoughts of suicide, my mind would always conjure up realistic seeming scenes of how such a thing would affect people I know, as well as reminding me of just how many people it would affect.

that helped me a lot.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    so hey has anyone in here done that gay shit where they post that depression isn't really a disease etc etc

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so hey has anyone in here done that gay shit where they post that depression isn't really a disease etc etc

I think the closest we have seen to that in this thread was people talking about how pills aren't always the right solution. And how sometimes people are prescribed things that end up not helping them or make things even worse.

Seg on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh, it is a disease. It's just that the cure is bootstraps. Lots and lots of bootstraps.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Depression/ADHD was wildly diagnosed not too long ago.

Now that I'm off Zoloft I know I don't have a depression problem(not clinically anyway) but I feel like I have an anxiety problem a little bit. I tend to kind of freak out over stuff beyond my control. Like if I forget if I locked my door or not.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    I can't really relate to this subject. No medication or any mental problems...I think. In fact, my friend shot himself back about ten years ago. So instead of having suicidal thoughts I'm afraid friends and family might just be putting up a facade of happiness and ready to drink a vat of bleach at any moment. It's even worse since my friend has depression and it kicked back in last year. Luckily he got some good meds and is doing fine.

This was a necessary episode, I think. Disarming, but necessary.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Seg wrote: »

I think the closest we have seen to that in this thread was people talking about how pills aren't always the right solution. And how sometimes people are prescribed things that end up not helping them or make things even worse.

well that's pretty fair

I mean cognitive behavioral therapy can be as effective or more effective than pills for lots of people

psychoanalysis not so much, but CBT is pretty rad stuff

retraining the brain and suchforth

I need to do that for my panic disorder. I've had some really crippling hypochondria of late, and lexapro has been pretty mediocre for it.

Xanax, however. Fuck yes.

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sometimes I wonder if I have depression but sometimes I think I'd just rather not know.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Meditation also owns for dealing with mental distress.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I really should look into meditation. All I know about it is 'sit down and breathe deep for a little bit'

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've always thought it kinda weird that 3 people with the same condition can take the same medication and end up with 3 completely different effects.

Javen on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    You know I find it really strange that you guys see ads for anti-depressants on tv in America.

It doesn't seem like it's a particularly good idea to me.

It's a horrible idea. As are all of the ads for various other prescription medications for never before heard of conditions.

It isn't good.

Well, I think in the latter case, manufacturing the medication at all is potentially terrible.

On the other hand, if people really want to medicate themselves for bee's knees or restless jaw or whatever, I guess that's their choice. Maybe you can argue that advertising subverts choice and whatnot. Maybe people should pay more attention. I dunno.

My favorite was some bullshit prescription drug for a condition of excessive perspiration, but every time they mentioned it in the commercial, it wasn't "Do you sweat more than other people?" It was always, "Do you feel like you sweat more than other people?"

I just find it, not right like it disturbs me on a fundamental level that they are marketing these things to people and these people aren't qualified to make their decision. (of course they're argument is, it's MY body I know what's right! To which is say fuck off you goose)

Blake T on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Waka Laka wrote: »

He's right though. If the medication is a strong enough dose and you go cold turkey on it you can get extremely sick. It's more like withdrawal than anything.

I used to take Zoloft, went cold turkey, and it turns out my dose was too small anyway.

That's the weird thing, I felt normal the next day, by the afternoon I felt much much better. The guy wanted me on them for another 5 years after the 3 years I was already on them, I could not bear it anymore.

Waka Laka on