As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Google Wave] OPEN TO ALL: invites no longer necessary!

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    gilrain wrote: »
    Wow, actually... organizing a roleplaying game and playing over Wave is the first usage case that actually excites and applies to me. All of its features would really be helpful in that situation! I imagine it'd be pretty easy to develop dice rollers and whatnot for the platform, too. :^:

dice-bot@appspot.com and randomleetwenty@appspot.com are dicebots
    sweepy-wave@appspot.com deletes blips that have no content (really wave should just do this automatically)
    wave-email-notifications@appspot.com puts an app in the first blip that allows you to set up automatic email notifications, handy for play-by-post games
    tocgen@appspot.com automatically generates a table of contents in the first blip by reading every other blip's H1/H2/etc entries
    wavearchive@appspot.com somehow lets you prevent other people from ruining months of work but I haven't worked it out yet

If you google 'GURPS wave' a thread on the GURPS forums pops up where someone has figured out how to configure the character generator export in such a way that dice-bot will automatically read it and allow you to enter commands specific to your character's abilities. It's a bit beyond me but I'm figuring it out.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ooh, I didn't know about tocgen, that's brilliant.

And yeah, randomleetwenty is by far the best diceroller I've tried out so far.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Wow, actually... organizing a roleplaying game and playing over Wave is the first usage case that actually excites and applies to me. All of its features would really be helpful in that situation! I imagine it'd be pretty easy to develop dice rollers and whatnot for the platform, too. :^:
    sweepy-wave@appspot.com deletes blips that have no content (really wave should just do this automatically)
    wave-email-notifications@appspot.com puts an app in the first blip that allows you to set up automatic email notifications, handy for play-by-post games
    tocgen@appspot.com automatically generates a table of contents in the first blip by reading every other blip's H1/H2/etc entries
    wavearchive@appspot.com somehow lets you prevent other people from ruining months of work but I haven't worked it out yet

If you google 'GURPS wave' a thread on the GURPS forums pops up where someone has figured out how to configure the character generator export in such a way that dice-bot will automatically read it and allow you to enter commands specific to your character's abilities. It's a bit beyond me but I'm figuring it out.
    Nice! And from an old Santee, no less! :)

gilrain on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have many invites, pm me if you want one.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Nice! And from an old Santee, no less! :)

Many an orc has been slain in the Octagon. 8-)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Someone give me an invite to this shit?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    PM me your email address.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How well does that notify bot work?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    All it does is tell you that a wave has been updated, but it is really good at doing that. It also seems to be pretty unintrusive within the wave itself, which is handy.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, I'll give it a try.

Wave really needs some nice revision control.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Ok, I'll give it a try.

Wave really needs some nice revision control.

Uh...it's nothing but a giant revision control system where all branches are continuously merged into the trunk/master.

See this for more information than you ever cared to know about how it works.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll merge you into my trunk

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, I'm sorry, it needs usable versioning.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    CKyleCKyle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Playback has a restore feature now if that's what you're looking for. There's more powerful things they could do I'm sure, but at least there's that.

CKyle on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm really curious why the "draft" feature hasn't been implemented yet. It superficially seems like such a simple addition...

Frem on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hi, I realize this thread is really old but I wouldn't want to create a new thread for a minor request such as mine. I've recently found a use for Google Wave and would really appreciate an invite sent my way.

EDIT: Cyvros has sent an invite my way now. Thanks dude!

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kragerbazukragerbazu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Whatever happened to Google Wave

wasn't it supposed to be some massive textual revolution

I guess it's just another case of Google trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist

so much inefficiency going on over there.

kragerbazu on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've found it to be extraordinarily useful for note taking.

MKR on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also, if you use it instead of e-mail as it was designed, it actually works really well.
    It only gets weird when you have public waves open to billions.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    kragerbazu wrote: »

I guess it's just another case of Google trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist

I know, right? No one should ever try to do something a new way. Nope. Innovation is for idiots.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I know, right? No one should ever try to do something a new way. Nope. Innovation is for idiots.

New != better

kragerbazu on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

New != better

Even if that's the case, it doesn't mean they shouldn't try

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And the existence of the experiment doesn't hurt you in any way. It's trivial for Google to put another product on their supercluster. If no one uses it, it's no extra strain on their resources. If a lot of people use it, it's a new product for them to put their ads on.

MKR on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

New != better

Not always, true. But you are saying they should never try ever. Which is silly goose to the extreme.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kragerbazu is afraid of change.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The issue with wave is that it wasn't new, it was over hyped, and it had limited controls that are confusing.

Wave is really the evolution of IRC with a full blow application layer.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The issue with wave is that it wasn't new, it was over hyped, and it had limited controls that are confusing.

Welcome to the exciting world of innovation being sold as invention.

This is what Apple does, and they don't get a tenth of the complaints.

MKR on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »

Welcome to the exciting world of innovation being sold as invention.

This is what Apple does, and they don't get a tenth of the complaints.

I think part of it is that with Apple products you just spent at least a couple hundred bucks on something, so you're probably going to make sure you like it first. Also, other than maybe the ipad, Apple products are clear on what they're for.

Not many people are sure wtf to do with Wave.

Personally, (I think I mentioned this awhile ago in this thread) I'd like to see a modified version used for forums.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am convinced Wave would be twice as easy and productive to use were it not in a cramped and slow-as-fuck browser application.

A standalone app would be so much cooler.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am convinced Wave would be twice as easy and productive to use were it not in a cramped and slow-as-fuck browser application.

http://lifehacker.com/5387800/waver-is-a-compact-google-wave-client

And there are probably more and better clients now.

MKR on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Still using Wave daily. I'm really liking the recent addition of the "Go to first unread blip" button.

Just waiting for the mobile version to not crash all the time now...

Michael H on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been using http://www.typewith.me instead of Wave, and it's a heck of a lot more usable. It doesn't even come close to Wave's featureset (it's basically an online word processor with real-time collaboration), but unlike Wave it actually runs at an acceptable performance.

Shame it's no longer being actively developed - the original company that developed it (EtherPad) was bought up by Google to work on Wave.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Fuck man, they could even just use popup windows. I've seen that kind of shit all the time.

kragerbazu on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    I've been using http://www.typewith.me instead of Wave, and it's a heck of a lot more usable. It doesn't even come close to Wave's featureset (it's basically an online word processor with real-time collaboration), but unlike Wave it actually runs at an acceptable performance.

Shame it's no longer being actively developed - the original company that developed it (EtherPad) was bought up by Google to work on Wave.

Mysteriously, shortly after that team moved to Google, we got Etherpad-style real-time editing in Google Docs.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That's what pisses me off about Google, when they can't do something they just buy someone off and force them to do it for them

kragerbazu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    They can certainly do it. It's just often easier and cheaper to buy someone who has already done it.

Like it or not, Google is a corporation and is beholden to its shareholders. That its shareholders have given it so much room for so long is very unusual. A little tightening of the leash was inevitable during a recession.

MKR on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Exactly. It also means that Google isn't yet another victim of NIH syndrome, which ends up being a colossal waste of money, particularly if every damn company insists on making and remaking the same thing over and over again. It's faster, cheaper and more efficient to buy or license something someone else has made. Or, hell, just buy the company. It's not like only Google does it.

Also, "force them to do it"? Really?

"Yarr, I'm Google and I'm pointing a gun at your head for your warez, and absolutely not throwing cash at your company and employees."

Really?

Cyvros on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "I bet you thought that when we offered you a bunch of money for your ideas, and you accepted and became a Google employee, that you wouldn't be working on them anymore. THINK AGAIN." <evil laugh>

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, why can't google be like other companies and just attempt to do half-assed rip offs of other people's work, rather than finding the people who know how to do shit and hiring them to do it?

Evander on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love you guys. :lol:

Impersonator on