Options

Tell me what the fuck you're reading

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey I really liked Charlie Wilson's War. Are there any other books of true spy stories? That would be awesome.

captaink on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Hey I really liked Charlie Wilson's War. Are there any other books of true spy stories? That would be awesome.

Spycatcher by Peter Wright is pretty good. It was banned in Britain upon its release because it had a bunch of stuff about their secret services that weren't intended to be made public.

Really, if you're interested in the way Britain went about spying at all, you should read it

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Koshian wrote: »
    turning twenty is going to be the scariest thing that has ever happened to me

this is the dumbest thing i've ever read
    but that's when he turns into a werewolf

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm reading Catch-22 right now.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

but Kosh is a girl

Antimatter on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

but Kosh is a girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRu8N2K0NY

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Catch-22 is my favourite book. I don't want to say it should be required reading, but if you read it and don't like it... Well. We would have to have words.

I'm reading these right now:

jonathanstrangeandmrnor.jpg

lbjulietnaked.jpg

They are both really excellent.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell might as well be called "HEY THIS IS A BOOK WRITTEN FOR LOST SALIENT."

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell was so hard for me to get into. Once I actually pushed myself to read more of it though, god it was so excellent.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    that would be a poor marketing strategy sal

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The only thing about Catch-22 so far is that I'm so bad with military titles and like 70% of the character have them and sometimes it's hard to remember who's who.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Catch-22 is wonderful, and I should check it out from my school's library again

Antimatter on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the book i'm reading is so obscure that this is pretty much the only description of it on the internet

then i'm going to move on to theft by peter carey, because carey's books grab me where it feels nice

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    that would be a poor marketing strategy sal

A poor marketing strategy for you, sure!

Also VI, the titles aren't really important, except for Major Major. And I guess the Generals. Anyway my point is that I don't think the book hinges too much on their titles, so you shouldn't worry about the confusion they're inspiring! Not like watching Band of Brothers or something where you have to keep everyone's rank straight.

jezz, have you already read Parrot and Olivier in America? There was an excerpt of it in the Granta I picked up in the fall and I have been super-excited to read it since then. It just came out in the U.S. but I don't know when its release date was elsewhere...

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I loved Jonathan Strange. Susannah Clarke also has a book of short stories which are pretty good.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i've seen it about for quite a while, but i haven't picked it up. especially over here carey's great for second-hand finds, so i'm sure once it's a bit older it'll filter down and i might be able to grab a cheap nice edition

the last one i read was my life as a fake which was cool, but very much situated around the context of australian literary history, so maybe not so relevant unless you know about that

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I am not sure I'm entirely up on my Australian literary history. I read authors who are Australian but somehow I suspect that doesn't qualify me for much.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    it's not too dense - basically it's a reimagining of the ern malley affair, where a big-name editor was hoaxed into publishing nonsense poetry designed to parody the modernist movement. it's a really interesting story in itself.

in carey's version, when the false poems are created, so too its author is birthed. literally. so we end up with this frankenstein creature of an Uber-australian poet chasing his kind of decrepit creator around southeast asia

like a lot of carey's stuff it's hilarious and overboard in concept but crafted absolutely perfectly, and ends up being very real and relevant

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am reading an out-of-print Argentinean novel about the Ghosts of This Guy and his expedition observing the history of South America from about 1515 onwards.

It is pretty daunting, and fascinating, but I am becoming a little sick of the undertones of "The Spanish really fucked over the natives, guys."

I'm also reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on the side for when it gets exhausting and it is just wonderful.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am reading Clash of Kings again

Brainleech on
  • Options
    mnollmnoll Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the fuck does the OP mean about Kindles not counting

i love mine to death

mnoll on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ive got a bunch, thanks to my Kindle, fuck you first post
    borntorun.jpg
    got this from when i saw the daily show interview

51s9qjwjo-l-_ss500_.jpg

ken_auletta.jpg
    havnt started it yet, but i have heard great things

anthonybourdain.jpg
    still only half way into this book, it has however gotten me to start tivoing his show, i watch it a lot.

shadow_effect.jpg
    got this after i saw the colbert report interview, its pretty good so far

zen-and-art-of-motorcycle-maintenance.jpg
    rereading this for the umteenth time

the-eye-of-the-world.jpg
    rereading this because apparently the series has gotten really good since the real author died, so far its what i remember, the first book is pretty good. now i just have to figure out if i want to reread all of the crap inbetween the start and the current plot

Barcardi on
  • Options
    IsaIsa Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm currently re-reading

queenoffashion.jpg

(Which is fantastic and I cannot recommend it enough to anyone interested in Marie Antoinette, Versailles politics or the history of fashion.)

And then I'll start

botanyofdesirefull.jpg

Which a friend gave to me last christmas and I'm horrible for letting it sit on my shelf this long! D:

After that I'm going to read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter as well, so highfive Barcardi!

Isa on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Its my cleansing act for reading the plot to the twilight series. So hopefully itll get me back on vampires. :D

Although vampire babies killing main characters by exploding out of stomachs certainly would be a wonderful way to end that whole shitfest.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yes!

I got my fancy HGttG back from my sister

gonna reread that

Shabooty on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Barcardi I'd like to point out that the audio book version of Kitchen Confidential is actually read by Bourdain, and, given the fact that you are Tivoing his show you must know what excellent news that is.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    sold, and quite literally buying right now, thanks for the tip

Barcardi on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just finished up Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World.

So now I need to decide what to pick up next out of my massive pile of unread books.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo cause it was for sale at the airport...

so I'll just be over here being a poser

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    is that book a sham or is actually good?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still need to read one of the books I bought forever ago

last thing I read was David Sedaris' "When You Engulfed in Flames" and The Witch's Trinity which was really weird and not that great, but it kept me moderately interested.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    Someguy JohnsonSomeguy Johnson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just finished reading Ilium and Olympos, started The Terror not too long ago and though I'm having trouble getting into it I think it'll get better.

Someguy Johnson on
    [SIGPIC]XBL- TheManAboutTown PS3- someguyjohnson83 Wii- who gives a shit Steam- someguyjohnson[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i just read the dream of a ridiculous man by Dostoevsky and it was good

Food on
  • Options
    LuvCherieLuvCherie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just finished reading:
    21778EloQIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Clockwork Heart

51C0vInckdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Queene of Light

51XRHXYD83L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Mars Vol. 12

Now reading:
    512GOC11EcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    The History of Beads: From 100,000 B.C. to the Present

51G957Lf-1L._SS500_.jpg
    The 4-Hour Workweek

Trying to decide which to read next, first:
    51%2BhZwABUwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    Dead to the World

51M7jQ4ETqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    The Sea of Monsters

LuvCherie on
    "I have many skills."
    Making: LuvCherie Jewelry
    Writing: Fibropreneur.com
    Shopping: Amazon Wishes
    Socializing: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
    Gaming: Xbox Live, Playstation, Steam
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't understand why a book like The History of Beads should even exist

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    IsaIsa Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Barcardi I'd like to point out that the audio book version of Kitchen Confidential is actually read by Bourdain, and, given the fact that you are Tivoing his show you must know what excellent news that is.

Adding this to my to-"read" list right now

I love that man.

Isa on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't understand why a book like The History of Beads should even exist

Books like that exist so people can cite them in art history papers.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does the beads book have a section on sex toys?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A friend of mine has a teacher who is doing their thesis on 19th century medicine bottle.

I laughed the same laugh when I was told that as when I saw the History of Beads.

A long, derisive series of scoffs.

Though actually it is often that kind of inane stuff that is most fascinating.

Greek History and pottery taught me this.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yeah, i mean reading about the history of an age-old, ever-developing craft which has played a role not only in beautiful art but sociological development and the foundation of economies. what a waste of time!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.