As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Movie (Updated 8/15)

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
The Thursday before PAX is rife with activities, the most sacred of these is the Pre-PAX Movie Raid in which a horde of early arriving PAX attendees descend upon a local movie theater to offer their commentary over whatever movie should be playing at the time. Last year it was Snakes on a Plane and it was a rousing success. During this movie you aren't merely allowed to talk, you're encouraged to talk, make jokes and laugh out loud. With the mass of people we have, I'm sure we will outnumber the people who are there to actually watch the movie.

edit: the poll has ended, and the people haev chosen The Invasion
We will be attending the 4:40pm show, before the dinner (Sorry Wave A, but the theater didn't really give us much of a choice on this one).
Use this link to buy your tickets online if you want.

Also, the theater...
Recruit wrote: »
Alright, after some discussion with some friends and some deciding based on centralized location, the AMC Pacific Place Theatre 11 would be close to PF Changs for quick travel to the theatre after the dinner is over. The theatre is a decent size, has both stadium and standard seating and "Loveseats" designed for 2 to snuggle in.

Here is a link to their website
Pacific Place Theatre 11

They have convenient foodstuffs there, a cafe upstairs, and is rated well for comfort and customer service. There are, of course, bad reviews, mostly concerning the service, and mostly during the day.

You can find a place in there that does advertise private parties and renting out theatres for exclusive events, but as far as group discounts go, they outright say those don't exist. I've yet to find any info on how large the theatres are, but I can continue looking about.

But, for distance from dinner, this place can't be beat.

P.F. Chang's: 400 Pine St.
Pacific Place Theatre 11: 600 Pine St.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    heh

I started this, and I didn't even go to the movie

I felt so bad, but I had a second dinner to go to before the movie and by the time we got there nad got settled in and shit, we had forgotten about the movie until it was too late

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    oh, there's a theater like a block from the convention center

I forget the name of it off-hand, though, but it's a pretty rad theater

the Cinerama in Seattle is pretty fucking sweet, too

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    edited April 2007
    Okay, Seattle Theaters

(spoilered for huge image)
    The blue pin is where PAX will be this year, approximately. The Regal Meridian (F) is the closest, the AMC Pacific Place 11 (G) is very nearby too, but in my opinion the Cinerama (C) is the coolest.
    theater_map.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Where is the westlake center?

edit: oh I figured it out, it's about 2 blocks from the AMC Pacific Place. That doesn't sound too hot, but it is close by. The Cinerama is a hike, is it worth it?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2007
    Okay I found some info on the Pacific Place, http://www.seattlefilm.org/siff2004/venue/detail.aspx?id=3
    pacificplace.jpg
    11 Screens. AMC Pacific Place 11 is the state-of-the-art movie house in downtown Seattle. With stadium and rocker chair seating in each of its 11 auditoriums, as well as digital sound and wall-to-wall screens, Seattle film fans will enjoy a phenomenal moviegoing experience.

Each auditorium features cupholders at every seat, as well as special "love seats" with enough snuggling room for two. The concession and box office areas are as modern and efficient as any in the industry. Moviegoers are able to choose from a wide selection of offerings, including Pizzeria Uno's pizza, fresh desserts and pastries, hot soft pretzels, nachos, a wide selection of candies and, of course, popcorn made fresh in the theatre daily. The interior of AMC Pacific Place 11 incorporates many Pacific Northwest elements into its design, most notably, a 42-foot forestry tower, constructed with timber reclaimed after a forest fire.

Parking downtown? It's easy! Enter the garage at Pacific Place from either Sixth or Seventh Avenues between Pine Street and Olive Way. Rates are lower than anywhere else downtown. You can park for four full hours each evening after 5 p.m. - for only $3!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Where is the westlake center?

edit: oh I figured it out, it's about 2 blocks from the AMC Pacific Place. That doesn't sound too hot, but it is close by. The Cinerama is a hike, is it worth it?

so worth it.

http://www.cinerama.com/

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2007
    yeah, Pacific Place is pretty fuckin sweet, too.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2007
    Do we want to end up at a place that's so big that we don't appear to be as large of a crowd.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm going to vote for whatever is closer. I know that after we pulled into town from a 52 hour journey, all I wanted to do was eat some good food and lie down on a big comfy bed. Walking a couple of blocks wouldn't sit well with me.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There's about 3 or 4 buses that go from the WSCTC area to Cinerama. You might still have to walk a couple short blocks, but the wait for the bus is very short.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited April 2007
    I will be flying in so I could use a few blocks walking. That being said, like Qs mentioned, for those who just drove across the continent I can understand wanting something closer. Then again, you did just make it from one side of the western hemisphere to the other, so what's another few blocks?

anable on
    edited April 2007
    The Westlake Center and Pacific Place are already a few blocks away. I'd like to avoid walking much further than that after all the driving and hotel checking into.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You have to excuse Moe_Fwacky, after all he will have just completed a long trip to PAX on his tricycle. :P

I too vote for someplace close as well as am partial to the notion of being a large crowed… We might even think about the possibilities of actually renting the screen thus get the movie and time of our own choosing.

Hum. While I am thinking about it in 2005 we tried to play a move in the Double tree on some ones projector. It might be a grand idea to try it again and this year play previous PAX’s DVD’s. Of course the scope of such an endeavor might become rather large and troublesome.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    edited April 2007
    Well half the fun of the movie is raiding a movie with regular moviegoers in it. Those people have no idea what's about to happen in that theater when they sit down. In the end, it becomes our theater, weather or not other people are there (plus it doesn't cost us more than the normal cost of a movie).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BSR StashBSR Stash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Don't forget about the lusty lady ;-)

BSR Stash on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, I'd raid that... all night long.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • adnprydeadnpryde Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think I will help out with theaters in the downtown area (since I am by them on a daily basis).

Regal Meridian 16 - Next to the convention center
    AMC Pacific Place - 1 Block from the convention center

Between those two you will find pretty much every mainstream and a few indie films that are currently playing.

Cinerama - 8 blocks from the convention center

Only shows one film. Probably the best screen in Seattle, absolutely huge. But again, only one film so there is no saying it will be something that will be good for the Movie Raid.

Those are your best bets on places to go. Hope that helps.

adnpryde on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Well half the fun of the movie is raiding a movie with regular moviegoers in it. Those people have no idea what's about to happen in that theater when they sit down. In the end, it becomes our theater, weather or not other people are there (plus it doesn't cost us more than the normal cost of a movie).

The Cinerama is always filled with regular moviegoers. It only has one screen, so its guaranteed to really never be empty. :P

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bambooza wrote: »
    [...] Hum. While I am thinking about it in 2005 we tried to play a move in the Double tree on some ones projector. It might be a grand idea to try it again and this year play DVD’s.

I am completely for this sort of a situation, pending approvial. I suggest we watch a comedic film litk "The Man" Staring Samual L. Jackson and Eugene Levy. Or perhaps we choose a film to make fun of for the sake of making fun it; like an Evangelion movie you know? Something that you couldn't not make fun of.

edit: Just had a great Idea for a movie, We could watch Robin Hood; Men in tights. Just throwing that out there.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Watching a bad movie or a geeky comedy -- either way works, but nothing else really does. MST3K-style bad-movie-watching seems like the best idea, to me.

babelfish on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay there's one thing I have yet to see as far as the cinerama/AMC/Regal kombat - seating capacity. Might have to go to one for the sole purpose of cramming as many PAX-raiders into a single movie as possible.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited April 2007
    I like the way you think, de4dmeta1. That's exactly my thought. Also to cause any non-PAX raiders to either join in our revelry or leave the theater in a huff.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We should go to a movie just to see how many people we can get to leave.:P

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i don't have any input on seattle theaters, since i see all my movies either here in issaquah or at lincoln square in bellevue (right near meydinbauer), but i will definitely give a thumbs up to fanboys, that movie looks great for post ccst!

speaking of which, though, will we arrive in time from the ccst to get the movie and dinner done?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited April 2007
    We'll be arriving at about 2pm, so, yes.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2007
    We will be arriving to try and MISS the middle of rush hour this year.

Also I think that we either pick a movie and find out what theaters are showing it...
    Or we pick a theater and then see what movies are playing.

Oh side note: The Trailer for Fanboys is out now.

EDIT: And because Moe can't seem to get his shit working, I'll link Fanboy's IMDB page with the links to the trailers.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited April 2007
    That link doesn't work by any stretch of the imagination.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hahaha, that looks fantastic.

On the other hand, I think that's one of those trailers that can't help but show every funny moment in the film. Either that or the movie's gonna be a continuous laugh riot.

In any case, Fanboys has my vote for Pre-PAX movie.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited April 2007
    Realistically, it doesn't matter if the movie is good or not, it falls into a good niche with me given the cross country journey to do something really geeky, but even if the movie is a bust, the jokes made by the audience (us) will make it worth it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2007
    Ok, after doing some more research on the film... it seems that the trailer didn't just come out... it came out last November and I didn't know that.

But in other news seems that after they both watched cuts of the film, Kevin Smith and Lucas wanted to add a little "something something" to the film which is why it got pushed back to the Aug. 17th opening day.

Side note: God... I sound like a corporate shill.. I'm going to keep quiet about it now.

We also could go and see the remake of the remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" called "The Invasion"... I hear it's staring Kidman.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited May 2007
    Ok, so word on the street is that Fanboys got bumped back to Jan 2008. so it's out of the picture.

Just in-case you wanted to know... here are all the movies being released for all of Aug up to the Pre-Pax Thursday where we will rain down like something fierce. (they are in no particular order)

Aug 3rd Opening:
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    Resurrecting the Champ
    The Ten
    Introducing the Dwights
    Hot Rod
    Charlie Bartlett
    Underdog
    Bratz

Aug 8th Opening:

Daddy Day Camp

Aug 10th Opening:
    Rush Hour 3
    Cover
    2 Days in Paris
    The Signal
    Rocket Science
    Americanese
    Becoming Jane
    Stardust

Aug 17th Opening:
    The Invasion
    Superbad
    Penelope
    Wedding Daze
    The King of Kong
    Marigold

Aug 22nd Opening:

Out of the Blue

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited May 2007
    I haven't even finished looking through that list, but my vote is for Bratz.

anable on
  • mdinstuhlmdinstuhl Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Ok, so word on the street is that Fanboys got bumped back to Jan 2008. so it's out of the picture.

Wait - is this the movie that has Veronica Mars in a Slave Leia outfit?
    anable wrote: »
    I haven't even finished looking through that list, but my vote is for Bratz.

I second this.

Anyone have any plans for after the movie?

mdinstuhl on
    Gamertag: mdinstuhl
    LJ: http://neophoenix.livejournal.com
    edited May 2007
    Apparently I have too much time on my hands. Here are some handy dandy links:

Aug 3rd Opening:
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    Resurrecting the Champ
    The Ten
    Introducing the Dwights
    Hot Rod
    Charlie Bartlett
    Underdog
    Bratz

Aug 8th Opening:
    Daddy Day Camp

Aug 10th Opening:
    Rush Hour 3
    Cover
    2 Days in Paris
    The Signal
    Rocket Science
    Americanese
    Becoming Jane
    Stardust

Aug 17th Opening:
    The Invasion
    Superbad
    Penelope - closest thing I could fine. This has a release date of 2008 though.
    Wedding Daze - also 2008
    The King of Kong - also 2008
    Marigold

Aug 22nd Opening:
    Out of the Blue - Not sure how accurate this is.

So after all that, I think my vote is for Underdog. I mean come on, a super dog. Seriously.

anable on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh god.... why do I want to say Bratz too? WHY?!

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited May 2007

Because nothing will give you more pleasure than dissing this movie IN THE THEATRE.

Bonus points if there are people there who actually want to see it - we will be doing them and their whale tail having 12 yr old daughters a favor.

mdinstuhl on
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    mdinstuhl wrote: »

Because nothing will give you more pleasure than dissing this movie IN THE THEATRE.

Bonus points if there are people there who actually want to see it - we will be doing them and their whale tail having 12 yr old daughters a favor.

I am so bringing a hip flask if this is the case. I'm sure someone will probably be leaving the theater because of our behavior.

There aren't any "better" movies on that list, sadly.

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
    edited May 2007
    zombiebot wrote: »

I am so bringing a hip flask if this is the case. I'm sure someone will probably be leaving the theater because of our behavior.

I actually want to see some of these movies, just not in a MST3K/RHPS style setting.

What's gonna be in the flask?

Mind sharing with me?

mdinstuhl on
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    zombiebot wrote: »

I actually want to see some of these movies, just not in a MST3K/RHPS style setting.

What's gonna be in the flask?

Mind sharing with me?

Whatever is in the flask, it would get you drunk in 10 minutes. :) But we can make out obnoxiously next to some small children.

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
This discussion has been closed.