As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

But then [Mass Effect] began to smell my greatness!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if you walked the council into a goddamn reaper they would be amazed at how Saren's charisma was able to build this machine

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    if you walked the council into a goddamn reaper they would be amazed at how Saren's charisma was able to build this machine

How else are they supposed to make Shepard seem like a badass?

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At the end of ME1, I felt pretty good about the Council and the Alliance. I could understand the councilors skepticism over the course of ME1, because Shepherd occasionally did sound like a bit of a loon.

By the end of ME2, I decided that they could all take a flying leap for all I care. The Alliance and the Council sold me out. I'll build my own damn army to fight the Reapers, and it's going to be made of all of the Council's worst nightmares.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    fuuck flamethrowers god dammit shepard you do not have to flail around for 3 seconds after the fire is already out

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    At the end of ME1, I felt pretty good about the Council and the Alliance. I could understand the councilors skepticism over the course of ME1, because Shepherd occasionally did sound like a bit of a loon.

By the end of ME2, I decided that they could all take a flying leap for all I care. The Alliance and the Council sold me out. I'll build my own damn army to fight the Reapers, and it's going to be made of all of the Council's worst nightmares.

The alliance didnt really sell you out.

Your contacts were just skeptical because, well.

you know
    You are a Cerberus Zombie reanimated with reaper tech

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

The alliance didnt really sell you out.

Your contacts were just skeptical because, well.

you know
    You are a Cerberus Zombie reanimated with reaper tech

Who happens to be first spotted at a abducted colony.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Council is fucking with you because they know you work best when self-righteously incensed.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Seriously wrote: »
    The Council is fucking with you because they know you work best when self-righteously incensed.

All part of the plan

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Really, I'm still mildly peeved that the worse you can do to Cerberus in ME2 is not give them something that they'll screw up anyway. Do you even get to shut down the comm channel on TIM?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Seriously wrote: »

All part of the plan

I think that's giving the Council too much credit.

I think they are either so stupid that they can't see the threat of the Reapers, or they do know of the threat and are secretly building Reaper shelters for their respective species. So when the Reapers finally get here, they can retreat to their shelters and leave Humanity to be devoured.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The atmosphere in this game is just miles beyond anything of the first. That opening scene with the space walk, of course, but also (DLC spoiler)
    visiting the Normandy's crash site. It was nice that you only went with Shepard and just walked around a calm, snowy "graveyard." Calming.

The gameplay is pretty fucking incredible too. Go Shock Trooper Shepard, go go go.

Graviija on
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Graviija wrote: »
    The atmosphere in this game is just miles beyond anything of the first. That opening scene with the space walk, of course, but also (DLC spoiler)
    visiting the Normandy's crash site. It was nice that you only went with Shepard and just walked around a calm, snowy "graveyard." Calming.

The gameplay is pretty fucking incredible too. Go Shock Trooper Shepard, go go go.

The Pressly bit in the Normandy Crash DLC gets me every time.:(

Ethereal on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »

The Pressly bit in the Normandy Crash DLC gets me every time.
    Oh, right! That was definitely the best part. He went from dick to awesome in three little datapad entries.

Graviija on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you know

ever since my renegade shep i'm always going to pick the renegade response to the whole citadel shop discount thing

shep's pretty damn honest about it, and i have to say it's less dickish than the paragon route which is an obvious lie if you do it more than once

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    paragons are such silly gooses

"oh you don't have to guess mordin"

maybe he likes guessing, goose

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    paragons are such silly gooses

"oh you don't have to guess mordin"

maybe he likes guessing, goose

Paragon: You don't have to guess Mordin.

Renegade: STFU for five seconds so I can think Mordin!

The choice is clear.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Let him keep talking, answer his questions when he asks.

People don't like being interrupted

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    why would you ever interrupt Mordin

I mean jesus, even if you don't want to listen to him just press X and skip it

you don't have to be rude

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I agree with you, but, there are hints that saving the council does do some "good" in the galaxy. For example one of the emily wong stories is that humans establish a colony on chasca (remember Tali's geth data in ME1?) with asari investment. Hearing that made me feel less bad about saving the council.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Honestly, I would want the council around just to gloat when I save them again in ME3.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    they'll still pin it on Saren's charisma in the end

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Honestly, I would want the council around just to gloat when I save them again in ME3.

I'll probably replay the part where you get to tell them "I told you so" a hundred times.

Where's your air quotes now, Turian councilor?

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    remember when a reaper was literally figuratively raping them and they did not accept it

why would it change if there's a thousand reapers

stop perpetuating these rumors, Shepard

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    they'll still pin it on Saren's charisma in the end

let's face it, nobody gets to be a spectre unless they can convince the council to let them become one

so there's kind of this charisma bar for spectres

and i think by this point the council are aware that they have a cadre of elite agents with silver tongues

who's bossing whom around at this point

i expect the council are skeptical about everything simply as a defensive measure

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    skeptical is one thing

and it was a different story when Shepard's main objective was still hunting Saren and these reaper thingies happened to pop up

but after the attack

after the god damn attack

how does one even reach such a level of delusion

You bring Legion there and he tells the Salarian straight up "Geth don't have that kind of technology and we couldn't have built Sovereign even if we wanted to." and his only response is "Yeah...well...the JERK store called..."

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The council (whatever their form) being idiots is nothing else but a plot device to get Shepard to have to go it alone yet again.

Doesn't make sense any other way, honestly.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What you don't see is the Council beating all the other Spectres over the head with Shepad-this and Shepard-that

Having some trouble with that that biotic cell eh? That's tough, hey I heard Shepard just blew up the Geth

well not all of em

Yeah she keeps a tame one on her ship

that also came back from the dead

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The diplomatic approach failed, eh?

Well you can't win them all

Hey I heard that Shepard went to the Migrant Fleet, took a live Geth with her, and then bitched the admirals out in public

Yeah they thanked her for it and apologized for being jerks.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Udina just gives up, of course

ME1 he's all THIS IS AN OUTRAGE IF IT WAS A TURIAN COLONY YOU'D HELP US AND GOSHDANGIT YOU BETTER DO SOMETHING ABOUT EDEN PRIME

ME2 he's all SHEPARD HOW COULD YOU TURN DOWN A MEANINGLESS SPECTRE REINSTATEMENT?! doesn't even care about the colony abductions

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Udina is only out for his own political gain. He wanted to use Eden Prime as a tool to get things from the Council, but now that (depending on your ME1 save) he's deeply involved as a part of the Council or heading it, there's no political advantage to it.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    that level of bureaucratic dickery challenges what I can believe

didn't he learn his lesson from the first game

from a fist?

How can the human councilman not care at all about mysterious aliens abducting thousands of colonists? Especially after the Alliance encounters them first-hand. Even the slimiest politician in the world would recognize this as a legitimate security threat that he needs to do something about, right? Right? The council tried to pull "terminus lol" in the first game too and he was able to work past it. If anything, all the abductions will slow down human expansion and thus Council expansion. Udina should cut the shit and tell the council that we can't be their pioneers if they're not going to offer protection.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shepard
    brought back a Reaper factory.

What have you done for us?

It's like the worst case of the less successful sibling ever.

Edit: Failed at spoilers.

Orca on
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know, I never really got that negative an impression of Udina. I mean, yes, in ME1 he sort of dicks over Shepard, but its worth noting that he got Shepard the position in the first place, and he fights pretty hard to do so. As far as I can tell, he seems to act fairly consistently in what he believes to be earth's interests - he just takes all the renegade dialog options.

And in ME2, well, I would think you might forgive him for being a bit wrong-footed when he walks into his office and there's a dead spectre, who is now working for a terrorist group, giving a speech to his fellow Councillors about machine-gods from beyond the edge of the galaxy, abetted by his chief aide. I'd be a little miffed too!

Popesnax on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    that level of bureaucratic dickery challenges what I can believe

didn't he learn his lesson from the first game

from a fist?

How can the human councilman not care at all about mysterious aliens abducting thousands of colonists? Especially after the Alliance encounters them first-hand. Even the slimiest politician in the world would recognize this as a legitimate security threat that he needs to do something about, right? Right? The council tried to pull "terminus lol" in the first game too and he was able to work past it. If anything, all the abductions will slow down human expansion and thus Council expansion. Udina should cut the shit and tell the council that we can't be their pioneers if they're not going to offer protection.

Yeah, it's probably more a terrible plot device than anything else. If Udina was a council member and was concerned about the human colonies then it would ruin the "The Council are idiots who won't listen to you" narrative they got going there.

Of course, I like it because it means that Udina has completely freed himself of any redeeming characteristics. This way, if I get to punch him in ME3 it means I get to enjoy it even more.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    At the end of ME3 Udina gets his just desserts by being forced into a Prince/Pauper switcheroo with his long-lost twin

Mess Sergeant Gardner

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Donnel this food tastes like ass

a plate shatters against a wall

do it right this time!

Also: my toilet is clogged

Seriously on
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I operated under the assumption that Udina and the Council did care about the colony disappearances, but because of the Alliance's strained relations with their distant colonies, and the fact that the colonies are in the Terminus systems, they couldn't respond forcefully. Wasn't Ashley/Kaiden sent to Horizon to bolster their defenses and investigate the Collector attacks?

They just didn't find Shepard's claims about Reapers actionable or particularly sane. Maybe that was a mistake, but I don't think its fair to accuse the Council of abrogating its responsibilities.

I admit I don't remember most of the dialog though so maybe they outright say "fuck the colonies" in which case yeah

Popesnax on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To be fair (kinda), in ME1, after getting rid of her, the council only hears from Shepard in totally ridiculous terms.
    Shepard, what did you find at that priceless Prothean ruins site?
    I found a blue chick and a dead krogan. Also, the ruins are now more so.

Shepard, what did you discover on that frigid ice planet, seat of capitalism?
    I did some smuggling, got the planetary administrator incarcerated, and killed an Asari matriarch. Also, I murdered a queen from that supposedly-extinct telepathic bug species that threatened the entire galaxy not long ago, so...you're welcome.

Shepard, what did you learn at that human colony?
    I blew up some geth and saved the colony, pretty straight forward really. Also, I destroyed an incredibly ancient and massively sprawling, completely unique mind-controlling sentient plant that turned people into slaves, kind of like that evil spaceship I've been having nightmares about.

Shepard, what happened at Virmire, that ideal candidate for colonization?
    Well, I ran into Saren (still a dick btw), destroyed their Krogan breeding plan, talked to one of those malevolent, diabolical spaceships I mentioned, and iced some lunatic Salarians.
    Also I nuked the planet.

Reports from other spectres are probably like, "Yeah, I staked out that Space Quiznos for five hours but the only krogan testicles we saw were attached," or "no, it's probably not her favorite store, but there's nothing we can do about it legally." Shepard's reports have pizazz.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Insanity run finished. Engineer Shepard with incineration blast and Miranda and Thane with heavy warp kill collectors way too easily.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man I never even thought to play Soldier before.

Why didn't anyone ever tell me that Adrenaline Rush is the best thing ever.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow