As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Krazy Ken steps down! (SONY Reshuffles)

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I never liked Krazy Ken. Of all the Sony and Microsoft big wigs the fanboy part of me wants to hate, Ken managed to be the only one to summon up that level of dislike. It wasn't really because of anything he said (and oh boy there were some doozies), I just didn't like his smug little face.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    It's a one two punch really. Low price point/awesomeness of Wii plus low price point/awesomeness of the 360 is making the high price point/how many games do they have for the PS3?

Non-coherent words talking now sorry thoughts not in order

PS3 not yet even ready to launch, poor launch when compared to 360 slash build in Wii sports can we get an amen

brain silly putty thinking about Gears of War sold so many units GTAIV on both consoles day one manhunt 2 on WiiStation2 Sony really is competing with itself for at least another 8 months and that isn't good for the PS3 but what about profits from the PS2 will that keep sony afloat long enough to turn a significant profit on the PS3 in time for whatever Microsoft has up it's sleave, yeah not much interest in Shadowrun but

HALO 3 !!!

Sorry

graizur on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote:
    What is happening is people go to buy a PS3 and end up with a Wii instead, mainly due to the price.

See, yeah, I doubt that. I doubt they're going with the intent of getting a PS3 and winding up with a Wii. They're going with an intent of getting a game console for little Billy the retard. When they see a $600 console, regardless of what's around it, they're not about to put that much money down on it.

Maybe the 360 is harming their sales more. People go in for a 'next gen' console and cant find a PS3 many Sony supporters will be converted out of neccesity, cause they simply cannot afford a PS3.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ow....graziur, please don't ever do that again :(

Guek on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    chomamadog wrote: »
    DesertBox wrote: »
    WHY wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    Katchem_ash, you are making it obvious that your entire concept of how international business works is "Japan is awesome, lol"

This just dawned on you?

Rather than take it seriously, you could do what I do. Sit back and enjoy the high comedy that it is.

God no, "Japan is awesome, lol" is an undercurrent in all his posts, this is just the first time it has been used in an international business context (to my knowledge)
    You should've seen him in one of the war-crimes threads in DnD.

That just made me go o_O

To tie this in with thread topic, I think of him as my own personal Ken. I know as soon as I see he's posted I'm gonna go O_o followed by some hearty :lol:

Stop the Katchem bashing for the love of my job. People keep walking by giving me looks because I'm laughing so much.

Seriously though, that's a good 5 or so well warranted, funny shots at the guy.

If it makes you feel better, I just opened up his post history and the first post I saw was one where his advice on helping ask a girl to the prom was to get her 'a box of tentacles so that she can be pleased like she never has before.' Regardless, that I doubt even he meant that seriously, I still almost broke out laughing at my desk.

His post history is as funny as SA, the Onion, or whatever comedy site you prefer

DesertBox on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote:
    What is happening is people go to buy a PS3 and end up with a Wii instead, mainly due to the price.

See, yeah, I doubt that. I doubt they're going with the intent of getting a PS3 and winding up with a Wii. They're going with an intent of getting a game console for little Billy the retard. When they see a $600 console, regardless of what's around it, they're not about to put that much money down on it.

Yeah, I highly doubt people are going into a store, seeing a PS3 for $600 and then seeing a Wii for $250 and going, "let's buy that". Why? Because most people aren't seeing Wii's on the store shelves at all.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    At this point, that company needs to keep most of their focus on the still-successful PS2 while continuing to improve on the PSP formula. It's at least getting somewhere, and with a little polish, it could be solid competition to the DS(this would take a while, but it's a start).

If they want to have five or six guys working on a marketing campaign that doesn't make the PS3 look completely stupid, then that'll work too. When the tide starts to turn(if it ever does), then and only then should they make the PS3 their focus.

For the moment, it's getting killed, and they should accept that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote:

Maybe the 360 is harming their sales more. People go in for a 'next gen' console and cant find a PS3 many Sony supporters will be converted out of neccesity, cause they simply cannot afford a PS3.

That's much more likely.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I worked at best buy for a while and I can tell you that the Wii wins the customers before they even get in the door.

Explain that one to me internets.

graizur on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Regardless of the feelings of my supposed attitude of "Japan Number One", Ken is a real good loss to SONY. I hope that Kaz is as good or even better than him. SONY will always be number one in my book, with nintendo in second.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    I worked at best buy for a while and I can tell you that the Wii wins the customers before they even get in the door.

Explain that one to me internets.

reggie is in reality the entity we know as...hypnotoad?

Guek on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Regardless of the feelings of my supposed attitude of "Japan Number One", Ken is a real good loss to SONY. I hope that Kaz is as good or even better than him. SONY will always be number one in my book, with nintendo in second.

Hahahahahahaha. Oh, you would make a good comedian. Were you sad to see Hiroshi Yamauchi leave Nintendo? :lol:

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    In relation, to this thread I have to say that the its amazing how the price tag of the PS3 makes the prices of the other consoles seem reasonable. $250 for a Wii is cheap now? That's barely less than what the xbox, dreamcast, and ps2 launched for, and I hardly would've called those wise investments before their respective price drops.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    At this point, that company needs to keep most of their focus on the still-successful PS2 while continuing to improve on the PSP formula. It's at least getting somewhere, and with a little polish, it could be solid competition to the DS(this would take a while, but it's a start).

If they want to have five or six guys working on a marketing campaign that doesn't make the PS3 look completely stupid, then that'll work too. When the tide starts to turn(if it ever does), then and only then should they make the PS3 their focus.

No. Just no. To that last part at least. Can you imagine the backlash that would receive from the community? There's something like 3 million out there, which isn't exactly a bad number. It's not getting killed at all, it's just not doing that well. They need to continue to support it, just in an different manner than they currently are.

I mean, hell, how is the tide supposed to turn, in your words, if they revert back to the PS2 and PSP as their focii?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Hahahahahahaha. Oh, you would make a good comedian. Were you sad to see Hiroshi Yamauchi leave Nintendo? :lol:

Somewhat yes.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

No. Just no. To that last part at least. Can you imagine the backlash that would receive from the community? There's something like 3 million out there, which isn't exactly a bad number. It's not getting killed at all, it's just not doing that well. They need to continue to support it, just in an different manner than they currently are.

I mean, hell, how is the tide supposed to turn, in your words, if they revert back to the PS2 and PSP as their focii?

The PS3 seems to me like it's got some serious flaws, and it's killing its mainstream appeal. Until they figure out how to fix them, it's going to keep being beat by its predecessor. So they should stick with what works until the PS3's issues are resolved.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

The PS3 seems to me like it's got some serious flaws, and it's killing its mainstream appeal. Until they figure out how to fix them, it's going to keep being beat by its predecessor. So they should stick with what works until the PS3's issues are resolved.

The price and the ad campaign are the only real flaws, but both of those can be fairly quickly fixed if Sony's willing. To fix them, however, they would have to focus on the PS3.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

The price and the ad campaign are the only real flaws, but both of those can be fairly quickly fixed if Sony's willing. To fix them, however, they would have to focus on the PS3.
    Fixing the price issue would have to involve them losing a shit load of money.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You do realize that, as a direct result of Ken's decisions, Sony has lost hundreds of millions of dollars, right?

Ah well. This is indeed an interesting move, since Japanese execs are almost never removed. Sony execs/shareholders must be more pissed at the current performance of the PS3 than we thought.

And then there's this:
    wateyad wrote: »
    You people realise we already saw crazy Ken get kicked upstairs and Kaz Hirai go from SCEA to SCE to replace him a few months back, right? So this is Kaz getting kicked upstairs and whoever is replacing him becoming the one with the real power.

Indeed. There's a good chance Kaz is getting the shaft too, and that Sony wants to find someone else to handle the nuts and bolts of the Playstation brand from now on.

Edit: and as Tit said, fixing the PS3 situation (from a business standpoint) would involve losing even more money. Sure, a price drop to $400 now would juice sales and ensure marketshare for when the cost of components becomes manageable, but even with a (possibly) good long-term outcome, shareholders aren't going to enjoy losing tons of money in the short term.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Not really. If they suddenly decided to convey the savings of the EE removal, price drop for BD drives, and chip size reduction, it'll work out fine. With the way things are going, they'll be forced to.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Didnt Sony say the same about the 360.

That they arent competing with them either cause the PS3 aims for the higher end HD market and the 360 doesnt.

So who IS sony competing with? themselves?

The GBA.

Furu on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Concurrently, Kazuo Hirai, currently President and Group COO, SCEI, will be promoted to President and Group CEO, continuing his responsibility as the leader of the Playstation business worldwide.

Odd, the other day I was just thinking that Kaz Hirai does more damage to sony from my perspective than any other rep.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wrote a blog post ages ago entitled "Dear Ken Kutaragi: Please Shut The Fuck Up."

It doesn't just apply to him. Dick waving pisses me off - whether it's Ken (The "I want people to thing I will work harder for a PS3" is a very Japanese sentiment. Translation: It doesn't fucking fly anywhere else in the world) , J. Allard (you want the man's resignation on your wall? Stow the fucking hubris you tarted up marketing bitch.) or Reggie (kicking ass and taking names, eh? Guess someone in market research told you that there was an image you had to change.). Perhaps I've mellowed with age, but I find the corporate smack talk to be tiring and a little embarrassing for all of us.

A quick note to both the purveyors and the users of these products: You are not your $599 US DOLLARS/Motion Sensing/Live Anywhere/Blast Processing Widget. You don't need to wear the gang colours, drink the kool aid or do the safety dance. Settle the fuck down.

At the end of the day, Kutaragi is leaving the industry with a cloud over his head. The man deserves it for the gaffes he committed last year, but it's a horrible fate for anyone. I can't say I'm sad to see him go, but celebrating that fact seems crass.

That being said, I think they need to take a hard look at Kaz next; unless the man has a solid strategy for this system, they need to turf him and find someone who does. I recommend... let me think on this... me :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Price point, advertising, lack of games worthy of the higher price point, not enough online games, HUGE ENOURMOUSLY bigger then the Wii and even bigger then the 360 (which is unforgivable considering how much shit the XBOX got for being slightly bigger then the PS2.

Unstackable beause of rounded top.

Sort of corny/trying to hard to be cool font which is the same as Spider-man.

I dunno a lot of stuff. The PS3 is cool but it's not cool in that too cool for it's own good kind of way. Where as the Wii is sort of that suprise cool. The 360 has a delicate balance. MS was definitely trying tooo hard to make it cool but they calmed down with that recently.

It's a perception war and Sony is loosing. They may come back.

Little big world, The new Playstation EYE(toy) with imrpoved everything, great games coming down the pipe eventually, HOME, free browser, free online functionality. Cool sleek black look, runs silent, no over heating issues. Blueray which may eventually provide loads of opertunity. PSP/PS3 interfunctionality. Wifi, motion controls finally being intergrated well, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy might remain exclusive after all. Sony might get that whole Minority Report type hand controls out the door.

graizur on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not really. If they suddenly decided to convey the savings of the EE removal, price drop for BD drives, and chip size reduction, it'll work out fine. With the way things are going, they'll be forced to.

The only problem is, in the U.S. each PS3 sold loses well over $200. So even when the component costs drop that much... they're still paying $600 for them. And any price drop, even then, brings them right back to a hefty loss.

It's not a good situation for Sony to be in.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    A quick note to both the purveyors and the users of these products: You are not your $599 US DOLLARS/Motion Sensing/Live Anywhere/Blast Processing Widget. You don't need to wear the gang colours, drink the kool aid or do the safety dance. Settle the fuck down.

Genesis 4 Lyfe, yo.

SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T!

DesertBox on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Well, you can't really say this whole thing is a surprise.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Genesis 4 Lyfe, yo.

SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T!

I have seen the error of my ways and retract my previous statement.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Genesis 4 Lyfe, yo.

GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T!

get it right or your out of the gang.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

EE removal would help destroy the BC advantage of the PS3 over the 360. According to Businessweek, the premium bundle originally cost Microsoft 525 dollars. The cost about a years later had it down to around 325 dollars. However, this doesn't include the cost of manufacturing and transportation costs. Microsoft probably still isn't making much of a profit if at all on the premium 360. The production cost for the PS3 was estimated to be at 840 dollars for the 60GB version. Sony estimates that it will be profitable by the end of the year. Why would they want to decrease the amount of time it takes for it to be profitable? The loss on each PS3 was one of the major reasons for the 20GB version to be killed off.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Genesis 4 Lyfe, yo.

Shit, you're right. How did I screw that up?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Little Big World is nice and all, but it isn't going to appeal to the mass market sony is chasing. Infact, a good 50% of your list, graizur, they don't care about. And that's the issue I see here. $599 US is great for those of us who will use it to it's full potential, but the mass market, those who happily threw down $199 for a PS2 to play madden and singstar, who make up a huge chunk of the PS2 fanbase - well, there's just not much there for them.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    At the end of the day, Kutaragi is leaving the industry with a cloud over his head. The man deserves it for the gaffes he committed last year, but it's a horrible fate for anyone. I can't say I'm sad to see him go, but celebrating that fact seems crass.

Eh, I'm sure he'll find consolation by swimming in a pool filled with hundred dollar bills at one of his half-dozen mansions across the world.

Then his seven voluptuous maidservants will polish his bald head with their breasts.

The rich have very advanced ways of dealing with depression.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    is kaz krazy too? i can't really remember anything he's said

ever

bongi on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Genesis 4 Lyfe, yo.

Pretty sure in the PAL regions is was "sega does what nintendon't". I certainly don't remember any "MEGADRIVE does what nintendon't" ads.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    bongi wrote: »

ever

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Kazuo_Hirai
    Some have said that the PSP is our answer to the (Nintendo) Game Boy. Well, here’s how we view the world: PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto and Sony is the only company that can do it. We happily accept this challenge and, dare I say it, the baton has been passed.
    We're not interested in gimmicks, clever rhetoric or conventional thinking.
    The next generation doesn't start until we say it does.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

ever

Riiiiiiidge Racer!!

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    plufim wrote: »
    Little Big World is nice and all, but it isn't going to appeal to the mass market sony is chasing. Infact, a good 50% of your list, graizur, they don't care about. And that's the issue I see here. $599 US is great for those of us who will use it to it's full potential, but the mass market, those who happily threw down $199 for a PS2 to play madden and singstar, who make up a huge chunk of the PS2 fanbase - well, there's just not much there for them.

My point is that Sony has a lot of negatives right now and thier positives are all in the future. With that we know about Sony's hype machine they will only diliver about 30% of their promise.

Their online will never compare to LIVE, their motion control will never compare to the wiimote and MetalGear and FF will eventually go to the Xbox 360.

I am actually wondering why any one anywhere is buying a PS3 at all.

[edit: "buying" as in why are you buying it now not why will you buy it ever]

graizur on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    plufim wrote: »

ever

Riiiiiiidge Racer!!

aahh, right

bongi on
  • Options