As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] ITT we await [Chat]aclysm

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Even those little magic effects that don't really mean dick.

'Icy touch from those drakkari death knights? Fuck you!'

'Thunderclap? Bitch, please.'

Javen on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So never having played a tank. Is GCD starved when you are processing the fight faster than your casting/cooldowns can go? If so that always happens to me in disc, I just cant pump stuff out as fast as I want to.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If a Paladin tank or DPSer tells you to dispel something off them while you're the healer, tell them to quit being plain old bad at the game. Seriously, if you're a healer and you aren't needing to heal your face off with every GCD, you will already dispel anything you're able to, because well, you're a healer and that's what you do. If the healer isn't dispelling something, it's probably because the retard tank doesn't know how to gear, use his CDs wisely, etc. etc. anyway, and the healer can't afford to use a GCD to do it or else the group will wipe.

Being a tank makes you really hate the shitty ones, let me tell you.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    GCD starved is just when you have so many buttons to press and the main thing slowing you down is the global cooldown.

Honestly I don't find it that bad on my Palaidn since it's so easy to get and hold aggro on my Paladin to begin with, but you've got more tanking buttons at your disposal than any other tank class so it's really difficult to be going all out

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    As a Prot Paladin, while using the 969 rotation you will use every GCD, but holding the rotation back to cleanse even 2 or 3 people is not going to make you lose agro unless you're running with DPS that are riding right on your tails on threat. Not saying that doesn't sometimes happen, but it won't be the norm, especially in 5 mans.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    you will already dispel anything you're able to, because well, you're a healer and that's what you do.

This so much. In my case it was a ret paladin telling to get rid of that disease you get on the hill after Ick in PoS. I had to tell him druids can't remove diseases, but only poisons and curses.

I told him I'd give him 100g if he removed diseases during the second pull. Even then he still didn't do it.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If a Paladin tank or DPSer tells you to dispel something off them while you're the healer, tell them to quit being plain old bad at the game. Seriously, if you're a healer and you aren't needing to heal your face off with every GCD, you will already dispel anything you're able to, because well, you're a healer and that's what you do. If the healer isn't dispelling something, it's probably because the retard tank doesn't know how to gear, use his CDs wisely, etc. etc. anyway, and the healer can't afford to use a GCD to do it or else the group will wipe.

Tanking actually just makes me hate terrible dps.

I hate topping the meters when i'm tanking. I derive no pleasure from it

Javen on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I almost wish Saronite Bombs were on the GCD, simply because I chew through the damn things so fast while tanking.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    I almost wish Saronite Bombs were on the GCD, simply because I chew through the damn things so fast while tanking.

I used 13 of them in a single HoR run.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    As a Prot Paladin, while using the 969 rotation you will use every GCD, but holding the rotation back to cleanse even 2 or 3 people is not going to make you lose agro unless you're running with DPS that are riding right on your tails on threat. Not saying that doesn't sometimes happen, but it won't be the norm, especially in 5 mans.

I've heard about the 969 rotation but honestly I never thought much as to the specifics, honestly I mostly faceroll; is ability useful for tanking? is it off the cooldown? If yes, use ability.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »

Tanking actually just makes me hate terrible dps.

I hate topping the meters when i'm tanking. I derive no pleasure from it

If you're a Paladin and you watch overall damage done on recount, you need to get your ego in check regarding 'bad DPS', because between seal of command cleave, HotR, consecration, and holy shield, Prot Paladins just plain old do a TON of damage on trash packs. On packs of 3 mobs where it's not really mana efficient to use rain of fire, fan of knives, etc., you ARE going to out damage the DPS.

Now if the DPS are under you on bosses individually, that's a concern, but in heroics with people just gearing up you can't exactly hate them for not having the gear you do.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I've heard about the 969 rotation but honestly I never thought much as to the specifics, honestly I mostly faceroll; is ability useful for tanking? is it off the cooldown? If yes, use ability.

I'm the same. Whatever ability is ready to use NOW, I use it.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I keep hitting Shift-C every pull just in case the cooldown's up. I'm going to have to sit down and farm up enough cobalt and saronite to fill up a couple frostweave bags of them, just so I don't have to make more every other day.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love cleansing fucking everything on my Paladin, while tanking.

It is seriously the best.

It's going to suck when you cannot do that when they change cleansing

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

If you hit everything as it's off the CD, you will produce much lower threat than using the 969, but that only happens if you follow judgement with consecration, or shield slam with HotR, etc. Most of the time the 969 is just the natural way people would tank on a prot paladin without even thinking about it.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My recount resets for every fight, and only counts boss encounters. The rest doesn't really matter.

Also I haven't been running SoCo but vengeance. Should I be switching?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SoCommand is what people recommend for trash due to its "cleaving" effect.

edit: I never used it and never plan to use it. I have also never had a problem with threat. Call me old and set in my ways, but whatever. My spec isn't broken so I don't "fix" it.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    you will already dispel anything you're able to, because well, you're a healer and that's what you do.

This so much. In my case it was a ret paladin telling to get rid of that disease you get on the hill after Ick in PoS. I had to tell him druids can't remove diseases, but only poisons and curses.

I told him I'd give him 100g if he removed diseases during the second pull. Even then he still didn't do it.

My wife and I got Halls of Reflection as our random heroic, and I happened to be Ret at the time. The tank was a DK friend of mine, so only the other two DPS were actually random. It was a mage and a hunter, and they managed to die before the first boss. We 3 manned the last couple waves, the first boss, all the next waves, and the 2nd boss just because we couldnt' get out of combat to rez them. If it wasn't for my cleansing the 10 million poisons the rogue mobs were doing we would've wiped, because my wife was just bombing holy lights like it was her job.

Ret Paladin DPS is retarded on trash too. I am still wearing a tank belt and one of my trinkets is a tank trinket as I haven't replaced them, and I was doing about 7k DPS on most of the trash packs in there.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My recount resets for every fight, and only counts boss encounters. The rest doesn't really matter.

I believe if you have a slow one-hander then SoCo is arguably more burst threat, but bosses should be Vengeance all the way.

Edit: Trash is up to you, though.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I try to Avenger's Shield > Consecrate > HotR > Holy Shield > Shield of Righeousness > Judge.

Note, try. I keep finding myself getting sloppy and doing HotR before Consecrate or things like that, due to paranoia about jumpy DPS.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I love cleansing fucking everything on my Paladin, while tanking.

It is seriously the best.

It's going to suck when you cannot do that when they change cleansing

If I recall, it's only going to be defensive magic that holy pallies have to spec into, so the majority of the heroic shit will still be fair game for prot/ret, poisons and diseases. It does suck though. =/ Dumb pvp shit nerfing my pve. =P

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ima Priest!!! The Pinnacle of holy existence and renewal! WHY CANT I CURE EVERYTHING?!!? D:

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

SoCommand hits 3 targets when used by melee attacks that hit 1 target, i.e. auto attack and shield slam. It's the seal to use on trash, but never bosses. Corruption/Vengeance is always the way to go for a single target. Some Paladins spec 1 point into conviction instead of taking SoCommand, but really, I like to kill trash as fast as possible and 1% crit means basically nothing.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

My wife and I got Halls of Reflection as our random heroic, and I happened to be Ret at the time. The tank was a DK friend of mine, so only the other two DPS were actually random. It was a mage and a hunter, and they managed to die before the first boss. We 3 manned the last couple waves, the first boss, all the next waves, and the 2nd boss just because we couldnt' get out of combat to rez them. If it wasn't for my cleansing the 10 million poisons the rogue mobs were doing we would've wiped, because my wife was just bombing holy lights like it was her job.

Ret Paladin DPS is retarded on trash too. I am still wearing a tank belt and one of my trinkets is a tank trinket as I haven't replaced them, and I was doing about 7k DPS on most of the trash packs in there.

Holy Wrathing things once they get clumped up is just: NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

SoCommand hits 3 targets when used by melee attacks that hit 1 target, i.e. auto attack and shield slam. It's the seal to use on trash, but never bosses. Corruption/Vengeance is always the way to go for a single target.

Hammer of the Righteous also applies Vengeance to the targets it hits, which is nice. But if you want to maximize burst threat then yeah, command all the way.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I try to Avenger's Shield > Consecrate > HotR > Holy Shield > Shield of Righeousness > Judge.

Note, try. I keep finding myself getting sloppy and doing HotR before Consecrate or things like that, due to paranoia about jumpy DPS.

I try to burst more initial threat, personally, by doing AS > Judge > SoR > HS > HotR > Cons. Hell, I'll usually taunt initially and then slam all that stuff out to make sure I keep aggro initially.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah it's gonna kinda suck when cataclysm hits and 90% of mobs aren't undead.

I enjoyed actually using Turn Undead and Holy Wrath

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Im going to miss my one crowd control spell. :(

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    People seem to hate it when I Turn Undead mobs in HoR. I think it's because they associate fearing with pulling more shit that doesn't need to be pulled.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    melee dps probably think it's a pain in the ass if they have to go chasing after the feared mob

tanks would probably think it a pain because now you've got four mobs up in your grill and one way over there. If you ARE the tank, well then I guess it's not an issue

Healers...I have no idea why healers wouldn't care for it

Javen on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fear shoulkd either be used in a situation where there's no chance of pulling other adds (like HoR) or should be a last resort CC where if you don't do it you'd wipe anyway so might as well. No one should run after a feared mob since it'll just come back on its own anyway.

Opty on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not looking forward to having to use CC mechanics again. Having to CC in Wrath would have been a gigantic pain in the ass while leveling. Those dungeons are pretty big and have quite a lot of trash pulls. Trash just isn't fun 90% of the time, I am sorry blizzard. Don't really see how being forced to spend more time on it is going to make it moreso.

I wasn't really around long enough in BC to get a grasp of what CC heroics were like though, so it could be better, but it doesn't seem like it.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I honestly dont care most of the time what goes on in the fight proper as a healer. Its my job to stay alive(out of fires) and keep you alive, thats it. I see it as running around frantically going ohshitohshitohshit most of the time. Which is funny because thats pretty much how i live my life too. :D

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I wasn't really around long enough in BC to get a grasp of what CC heroics were like though, so it could be better, but it doesn't seem like it.

D:

it was the worst thing

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bring a mage or don't go at all.

The ideal TBC heroic group was something like a Warrior or Bear tank (to grab multiple targets but not run the risk of breaking CC like Consecrate could), a Mage (usually Frost), a Hunter (survival), a Rogue (with enough Subtlety to get all the CC tricks), and a healer of any particular stripe. My Priest was popular, especially in Shadow Labyrinth, for Mind Control.

It was horrendous. For a place like Shattered Halls or Shadow Labyrinth, you needed the CC or else you were essentially guaranteed a wipe.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bring a mage or don't go at all.

People started to pay me to run heroics on my mage for my CC alone. That was the only good aspect.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    After ZA came out it was a different story though. Once my pally had a few pieces of gear from that tier, Heroics became AoE fests because of how broken tankadins were, and how broken healers were (especially druids).

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I missed the last bit of TBC, around Zul'Aman and Sunwell, so I didn't get to see the transition from meticulous CC planning of every single pull to being "grab 'em all and let the AoEs sort them out."

It was still a bit of a shock to see everything get the AoE treatment when I came back in 3.2 (having left about the same time ZA hit), even down to the pre-60 instances, even though I'd been warned about it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Being a mage was a good time in TBC. People loved you.

Henroid on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As a warlock, I could do heroic mechanar whenever the hell I wanted. ;-p

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.