Options

[STEAM] Now for Mac - Launch with 63 Games

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    Apogee wrote: »
    Also, question:

If I buy SoaSE off of Impulse, can I play it without 3rd party software, or better yet, register it on Steam?

Once a game is installed from Impulse, you don't need Impulse running to launch the game.

Also, Sins isn't even available to purchase on Steam, so of course you can't register it. :) (We'll ignore the fact that very few games can be registered on Steam, anyway.) What you can do, however, is add it as a non-steam game. All that really gives you, though, is the ability to have handy shortcuts to all your games from the Steam interface.

This may be old info: but it's also worth noting that you can only update Sins to the latest patch version through impulse, as I recall. The game has a number of mods, but as far as I remember, they only generally tend to work with the latest patch. They may have changed this, but that's what I remember the last time I played it.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    eobet wrote: »
    Saw that EVE Online is on Steam for Mac. That means that emulated games are allowed. Fuck that. I hope they will clearly label such crap.

What? EVE has a native OS X client.

Echo on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Saw that EVE Online is on Steam for Mac. That means that emulated games are allowed. Fuck that. I hope they will clearly label such crap.

Quasi-native, it's technically a Cider port. Unless that's changed recently.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I find it a little strange that I just took advantage of the Sins deal, but hated the fact that I had to download a client to install it.

For some reason, I LOVE the fact that Steam works this way, but for other services I think it's terrible, even if the client isn't that bad.

I'm just glad I can install it and not run Impulse again.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I find it a little strange that I just took advantage of the Sins deal, but hated the fact that I had to download a client to install it.

For some reason, I LOVE the fact that Steam works this way, but for other services I think it's terrible, even if the client isn't that bad.

I'm just glad I can install it and not run Impulse again.

Yeah, you can't register it on Steam but you should be able to add a shortcut like any other installed game. Running two clients to manage games can be cumbersome.

One client to rule them all and in the darkness bind them. Steam is Sauron and Stardock/Impulse is the stupid humans and elves that put out good stuff but should cave to the power of the dark side. [/mixed references]

Michael H on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have I gone crazy or did Steam just pull that Splinter Cell collection and replace it with DOW for the weekend deal?

EDIT: Get out the straight jackets and butterfly nets. It's back now as the weekend deal. o_O

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    tralevtralev Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is Sins worth it if you're only interested in single player?

tralev on
    Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    tralev wrote: »

I think only the Entrenchment expansion has a worthy singleplayer campaign, regular only skirmish vs AI

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    tralev wrote: »

If you're more of a single player guy and like turn based, I would recommend Galactic Civilizations 2 over Sins.

Michael H on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you are looking for a huge single player (or Co Op) 4X/RTS type game, you may want to take a look at the AI Wars demo on Steam. SoaSE really comes alive in multiplayer games. AI Wars has a lot more focus on single player/Co Op with a really interesting approach to game mechanics and AI combining Tower Defense, RTS and 4X.

An AI Wars campaign is a pretty long affair though, if you like to get your RTS in quickly and decisively then you may want to avoid it. Same with SoaSE but not to the same extent.

Both games are worthwhile imo.

Drake on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When you guys say "single player campaign" are you talking about a story?

I'm debating buying Sins for $4. I will never play it online. If it's MoO2 with cooler graphics and ships I'm sold, but I really don't know anything about the game. Is it fun to play against the AI, like it is in MoO2?

adytum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    adytum wrote: »

I'm debating buying Sins for $4. I will never play it online. If it's MoO2 with cooler graphics and ships I'm sold, but I really don't know anything about the game. Is it fun to play against the AI, like it is in MoO2?

At $4 isn't it worth buying it just to find out?

Michael H on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah, just like it has a "native" linux port, and the instructions inside "just run with WINE!". Some of the indie pack games that said they were "native" did the same thing. By this definition, Linux gaming wouldnt be a wasteland, because "they have tons and tons of native games already!".

I think I get his mindset. He dosen't want to pack rat games and add to the backlog. I avoid cheap costing games now for the same reason. I still want to kick myself for not buying the guild wars pack.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

At $4, plus having to download some software everyone seems to hate, plus having to boot into windows to play it.

It's a waste of time and money if it's not something I'll play.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I think I get his mindset. He dosen't want to pack rat games and add to the backlog. I avoid cheap costing games now for the same reason. I still want to kick myself for not buying the guild wars pack.

I'm with you for the most part, and that's why I've avoided most of the Steam sales lately. In general though, if sci-fi strategy games are already in your wheelhouse, waffling on a popular, acclaimed game by a company that is known to get it done right for $4 seems silly. Just get it!

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I'm with you for the most part, and that's why I've avoided most of the Steam sales lately. In general though, if sci-fi strategy games are already in your wheelhouse, waffling on a popular, acclaimed game by a company that is known to get it done right for $4 seems silly. Just get it!

Well that's why I'm asking, I literally know nothing about PC gaming or 4x games since MoO2, which I bought new when it first came out 14 years ago. Someone said Sins has no campaign, does that mean it's only playable online with others? I don't know, I'm asking! The only thing I've ever heard about Sins is its name!

adytum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Well that's why I'm asking, I literally know nothing about PC gaming or 4x games since MoO2, which I bought new when it first came out 14 years ago. Someone said Sins has no campaign, does that mean it's only playable online with others? I don't know, I'm asking! The only thing I've ever heard about Sins is its name!

Ah, I see. There's no "campaign mode" in vanilla (non-expansion) Sins. You can play single player, though, against the AI. To elaborate, there's no story mode that goes along plots points and tells a grand tale. You just start a match against the AI and slug it out.

To follow up more: MoO2 that's new, better, and more whiz-bang is Galactic Civilizations 2, which I never get tired of pimping. GalCiv2 is turn-based, Sins is real-time (RTS).

another edit: I noticed just now that GalCiv2 Ultimate (base version + two expansions) is still $9.99. (Usually $40)

If you liked MoO2, run, don't walk, and buy GalCiv2 for $10. It is worth full price, worth dual booting, and worth downloading Impulse. Final note: GalCiv2 has NO multiplayer; it's all local against the computer and there is a campaign mode.

OR: You can buy both for $14. ;)

Michael H on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah, just like it has a "native" linux port, and the instructions inside "just run with WINE!". Some of the indie pack games that said they were "native" did the same thing. By this definition, Linux gaming wouldnt be a wasteland, because "they have tons and tons of native games already!".

What?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Really Impulse isn't that bad at all. It doesn't require you to run it just to play the game just the intial download and as such you rarely need to run it for anything. It's essentially just a platform for buying digital games and then downloading them but in the end it's simply like you went to a B&M store and bought it off the shelf.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010

Oh dear. I didn't mean to upset the neckbeards.

Echo on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oh dear. I didn't mean to upset the neckbeards.

Honestly, it doesn't matter all that much if the game has been properly tested. It's when parts of it don't work properly and it's still being billed as an acceptable port. Although lying about the nativeness of your product is also not really acceptable if you want repeat customers.

Edit: There were games in the Humble Indie Bundle that didn't have native Linux ports? I guess I've only played World of Goo, Aquaria, and Gish, but I thought Laguru was also native.

Frem on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I got a good deal and upgraded from the old Celeron 2.6GHz with a Gig of RAM and a 512MB 8400GS to an Athlon 64 4000+ at 2.4GHz with 2GB of RAM and a 512MB 8400GS. Check this out:
    ohwell.png

At 1360x768 with all graphical options maxed and HDR on full, the Lost Coast video benchmark jumped from ~10fps on my old machine to over 45fps on the new one. I know this is creaky, archaic bullshit compared to some of your guys rigs, but I'm pretty happy. That GeForce is PCI, so even if I drop $35 on a bottom of the barrel PCI-E card I'll see a performance increase.

I upgraded just in time for Free Portal (I've already played through it on the 360, but a kbam is nice too).
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I'm underwhelmed with the performance of Half-Life 2 on OS X.

20FPS indoors on medium-low settings on a Mac Mini, which is essentially a MBP without a monitor.

Pass.

Man, I sure would be pissed if I paid all that money for a Mac Mini and some douchebag's single core craigslist special that probably cost less than the Mac Mini's keyboard was getting more than double the framerate with all effects maxed than the Mac is on medium-low.

But hey, think different hiyoooooo!

Seriously though, there's an issue somewhere, either with your system or the Source Mac port. You're the first person I've seen complaining of such terrible framerates in vanilla HL2 so I'm leaning toward your system, but who knows, it could be an engine issue. This seems like something you might want to mention to Valve, or check the Steam forums. For all you know there is an easy fix available and you can get back to shooting mans at a solid framerate.

Since it's all very new you might want to investigate a little, because deciding to "pass" on one of the best PC games ever released just because your computer is choking (without investigating why) is just crazy.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay, I'm probably going to be picking up the orange box today. I already have HL2 and Ep1, and from my understanding I will be able to gift those. The only thing Im wondering about is the fact that my copies of HL2 and Ep1 were gifts to me. Should I have any issues gifting the extra copies from the orange box because of that fact?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I'm underwhelmed with the performance of Half-Life 2 on OS X.

20FPS indoors on medium-low settings on a Mac Mini, which is essentially a MBP without a monitor.

Pass.

Man, I sure would be pissed if I paid all that money for a Mac Mini and some douchebag's single core craigslist special that probably cost less than the Mac Mini's keyboard was getting more than double the framerate with all effects maxed than the Mac is on medium-low.

But hey, think different hiyoooooo!

Seriously though, there's an issue somewhere, either with your system or the Source Mac port. You're the first person I've seen complaining of such terrible framerates in vanilla HL2 so I'm leaning toward your system, but who knows, it could be an engine issue. This seems like something you might want to mention to Valve, or check the Steam forums. For all you know there is an easy fix available and you can get back to shooting mans at a solid framerate.

Since it's all very new you might want to investigate a little, because deciding to "pass" on one of the best PC games ever released just because your computer is choking (without investigating why) is just crazy.

He's on a Mac, though. Things should just work.

:rotate:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    Have I gone crazy or did Steam just pull that Splinter Cell collection and replace it with DOW for the weekend deal?

EDIT: Get out the straight jackets and butterfly nets. It's back now as the weekend deal. o_O

They're both current deals, but the spotlight thingy only shows one deal at a time. If there are multiple going on it sometimes switches when you refresh the page.
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Okay, I'm probably going to be picking up the orange box today. I already have HL2 and Ep1, and from my understanding I will be able to gift those. The only thing Im wondering about is the fact that my copies of HL2 and Ep1 were gifts to me. Should I have any issues gifting the extra copies from the orange box because of that fact?

If you have HL1 and Ep1 and buy the Orange Box, you should be able to gift them regardless of how you got them.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

You shouldn't have any problems. My copies of HL2 and Episode 1 were both gifted to me, but when I bought the Episodes Pack at retail to get Episode 2 I still got giftable copies.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

You shouldn't have any problems. My copies of HL2 and Episode 1 were both gifted to me, but when I bought the Episodes Pack at retail to get Episode 2 I still got giftable copies.

Same here.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Alright, bought Sins of a Solar Empire. If I hate it I'm going to beat the $4 out of one of you.
    Not really, I'm sure it's awesome.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also those previously dusty HL2 and Episode 1 codes (which were difficult to give away since everyone and their mother already owns a copy of both games) can now be used and enjoyed by all the new Mac guys (although man HL2 is only $7 right now that is crazy).

So it turns out I have a spare code for the Humble Indy Bundle (I bought one for a friend but she had already purchased one for herself). I would love to trade it for DiRT on Steam ($9.99), but considering the nature of the bundle I would also just be happy giving it away ($0.00) to anyone who missed out.

edit: I'll give it another hour or so, so if anyone has ten bucks and hates FyreWulff [strike]now's your chance[/strike].

edit 2: Check yo PM box

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll take it if nobody wants to trade you for DiRT

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I got an hou or two into the new HL2 before company showed up and I had to quit playing. A few things I noticed.

-There's animation glitches all over the place: most prominant with breen acting totally indifferent during his first real appearance, during
    The teleportation fuckup. He just sits there and looks up at you when you pop in, and then GOES BACK TO READING THE PAPER'S ON HIS DESK after he's done talking. ANd then when you pop back in, he doesn't bother to even get out of his chair to talk to the Combine.
    -For some reason, they fixed all the wounds alyx had for the HL2 era model, except for the blood in her hair. I wonder if the texture intern just thought they were highlights?
    -There doesn't seem to be actual HDR: just bloom. I haven't noticed the overall lighting change when you move from points of high light contrast.
    -The achievements are kinda underwhelming. I think I can get almost all of them, if not all of them, in a single playthrough. The only one I'm worried about is Lambda Locator because I KNOW I'll miss one of the 45 of those bastards. Though I've already found one or two I never knew about before.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Were the lambda stashes always there? I never noticed them before, but suddenly I'm aware that every time I see a lambda spraypainted there's a supply stash somewhere nearby.

Peewi on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    So I got an hou or two into the new HL2 before company showed up and I had to quit playing. A few things I noticed.

-There's animation glitches all over the place: most prominant with breen acting totally indifferent during his first real appearance, during
    The teleportation fuckup. He just sits there and looks up at you when you pop in, and then GOES BACK TO READING THE PAPER'S ON HIS DESK after he's done talking. ANd then when you pop back in, he doesn't bother to even get out of his chair to talk to the Combine.
    -For some reason, they fixed all the wounds alyx had for the HL2 era model, except for the blood in her hair. I wonder if the texture intern just thought they were highlights?
    -There doesn't seem to be actual HDR: just bloom. I haven't noticed the overall lighting change when you move from points of high light contrast.
    -The achievements are kinda underwhelming. I think I can get almost all of them, if not all of them, in a single playthrough. The only one I'm worried about is Lambda Locator because I KNOW I'll miss one of the 45 of those bastards. Though I've already found one or two I never knew about before.

HDR isn't on all maps, by the way. I don't believe any of the City 17 area has them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Were the lambda stashes always there? I never noticed them before, but suddenly I'm aware that every time I see a lambda spraypainted there's a supply stash somewhere nearby.

Yep, they were there day 1.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, did they give Portal away for free forever? I thought it was only until may 24th but I still have it and can play it.

Fuga on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it was free to activate to your account until then. It remains on your account.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    Wait, did they give Portal away for free forever? I thought it was only until may 24th but I still have it and can play it.

It was free-to-own until the 24th. If you got it during then, you now own it forever.

EDIT: Beat'd. Though I will say that it's easier to think of it like this:

They didn't have a free trial available until the 24th: they literally reduced the price to purchase it down to $0.00.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't know where to ask this, but here. Anyone played Knights of Honor? Can anyone recommend it?

johnwing on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I managed to get the "get through Ravenholm using only the gravity gun" achievement last night. Not too bad, but fuck those headcrabbed dudes who throw poison headcrabs at you.

Also, I am pretty sure I've missed a good number of Lambda stashes. I'm on Highway 17 and have probably only found 16 or 17.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm still missing a fucking grub in Episode 2.

Undead Scottsman on