Options

I'm Going To Cut Your Dick Off [Circumcision]

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also?

Certain people still haven't addressed the fact that circumcision only prevents female-to-male AIDS transmission.

Oh, and as I mentioned Scalfin, lose sensitivity, as published in the British Journal of Urology. Fulltext, even!

And you know what's really nice about it? It's not a questionnaire. And it has 159 participantts, with healthy penises.
    Khildith wrote: »
    I wasn't circumcised [...]

I've never had a woman [...] comment on my lack of foreskin.
    And I should hope not too!

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jeez, lots of hostility here. Am I allowed to post my opinion without being immediately told I'm wrong and possibly evil or should I move to the next thread?

I'm circumsized and I really don't see the problem with it. I understand the lack of consent thing but really, I never resented my parents for making the decision.

Sipex on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Jeez, lots of hostility here. Am I allowed to post my opinion without being immediately told I'm wrong and possibly evil or should I move to the next thread?

I'm circumsized and I really don't see the problem with it. I understand the lack of consent thing but really, I never resented my parents for making the decision.

Obviously, your parents are evil incarnate and you should shame them at every opportunity...possibly throw stones at them.

You have to update your sig now to let everyone know that you're mutilated, and thus, tainted.

/obvious sarcasm here, but hey, this IS the internet.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

So if you understand the lack of consent thing, wouldn't it be right to extend the choice to others? There are people who feel differently then you about circumcision.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh yeah, really, you're welcome to your opinion but the general consensus here seems to be "OMG HE'S OKAY WITH CIRCUMCISION, LYNCH HIM"

The OP doesn't help since it's obviously very one sided.

Sipex on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh yeah, really, you're welcome to your opinion but the general consensus here seems to be "OMG HE'S OKAY WITH CIRCUMCISION, LYNCH HIM"

The problem isn't so much circumcision itself, but circumcision of infants. Just... why? Why is it so important to do it to a baby when there's virtually no benefit in doing it that early? It's so stupid.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Being personally okay with circumcision is fine. I have no problem with circumcision when it's done to people capable of giving consent to it.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you're already circumcised it's not like you can do anything about it. Unless they completely fucked up why be resentful?

That doesn't make it right that the decision was made for you to have potentially dangerous permanent non-cosmetic surgery for cosmetic reasons when you were an infant.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited May 2010

So if you understand the lack of consent thing, wouldn't it be right to extend the choice to others? There are people who feel differently then you about circumcision.

Try extending the choice to the parents, which, hey, is how things already are! It's no one's business and no one has the right to tell others how it should be.

If enough people feel that circumcision is bad, then nothing needs to fucking happen because it will go away on it's own. If people hate getting cut so much, they won't do it to their own kids and pass it on. This condescending attitude is just a bunch of people with superiority complexes being silly gooses. If you feel that much of a need to try to enforce your will upon others, then you're just being insecure.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But that's not how it works. Because men that are already circumcised will most likely circumcise their sons, since it was done to them and they don't know the difference.

It's only in cases like my dad and mom not circumcising my brother because my mother decided it she didn't want it after not having me circumcised (my bio father wasn't) and he deferred to her where the cycle tends to change.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Alright, sounds like this topic is worth discussing.

Although not much to add, I agree, it's really up to the parents whether you agree or not, no amount of internet objectism or non-objectism is going to do enough noticable change and raving at your close friends about their choices is just a good way to lose close friends.

I personally have no idea if I'll go the circumcision route with my children, I'd have to discuss it with my wife first and seriously think about the decision. One thing I can say is I hope that if we made the choice to circumcize that my children would know better than to get completely hung up on something they can't change.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    VoodooV wrote: »

Try extending the choice to the parents, which, hey, is how things already are! It's no one's business and no one has the right to tell others how it should be.

If enough people feel that circumcision is bad, then nothing needs to fucking happen because it will go away on it's own. If people hate getting cut so much, they won't do it to their own kids and pass it on. This condescending attitude is just a bunch of people with superiority complexes being silly gooses. If you feel that much of a need to try to enforce your will upon others, then you're just being insecure.

Why should I extend the choice over someone else's penis to their parents? It's an needless surgery that is needlessly done to infants who are incapable of giving their consent. And imposing a needless surgery on someone else's genitals because of your wishes is the very definition of enforcing your will upon others. Notice how I wouldn't fight against this if it was a life-saving or a preventative procedure. It's not.

Why am I insecure? What is so insecure about respecting the rights of someone to their own body again?

And it's not the parent's choice everywhere. In Finland, you can sue your parents if they circumsized you. What do you think of that?

What do you think of someone forcing to have their 11 year old son to have a circumsicion? Only okay when the person it's done to is helpless?

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    But that's not how it works. Because men that are already circumcised will most likely circumcise their sons, since it was done to them and they don't know the difference.

It's only in cases like my dad and mom not circumcising my brother because my mother decided it she didn't want it after not having me circumcised (my bio father wasn't) and he deferred to her where the cycle tends to change.

There it is again, this supposition that people can't make their own decisions and thus, someone better and smarter than them needs to sweep in and make it all better and tell them how it should be done.

The argument is bull. I'm circumcised and I honestly have no clue what I will do if I have kids. I'll wait for the day to actually come. I have no predisposition towards either. Parents make decisions for their kids all the time, why is this one so special. It isn't. The idea of chopping up the wang isn't exactly appealing to me, but if there is decent reason for it and it's actually more dangerous to perform as the kid gets older, well gee whiz..guess ill have to man up and make a decision. Hope I can handle it. If only someone would come in and free me from thought and responsibility....oh wait...we tried that route didn't we with religion didn't we?

Leave it to the parents, as it already is. End of fucking thread.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Why should I extend the choice over someone else's penis to their parents? It's an needless surgery that is needlessly done to infants who are incapable of giving their consent. And imposing a needless surgery on someone else's genitals because of your wishes is the very definition of enforcing your will upon others. Notice how I wouldn't fight against this if it was a life-saving or a preventative procedure. It's not.

Why am I insecure? What is so insecure about respecting the rights of someone to their own body again?

And it's not the parent's choice everywhere. In Finland, you can sue your parents if they circumsize you. What do you think of that?

BECAUSE IT'S THEIR KID YOU SILLY GOOSE!!! You don't get to make decisions for other people's kids!! OMFG!!!

VoodooV on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I actually do use that part of my dick a lot, cause I don't need to spit on it to wack it.

I think that's only reason why they started to cut off the foreskin, to prevent men from masturbating and spilling their seeds on the ground.

Who the hell spits on their dick

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

BECAUSE IT'S THEIR KID YOU SILLY GOOSE!!! You don't get to make decisions for other people's kids!! OMFG!!!

So that means people are able to do whatever they want for their children? Forced marriage fine for you? Forced/forbidden abortions? Tattooing whatever they want on their children? Genital piercings? As long as they are under 18, everything is okay no matter what, despite it being not life-saving nor beneficial and infringing on the right to one's own body?

That's not how human rights work. We already forbid people from doing many other harmful traditions to their kids because we live in civilized first world countries, I don't see why forbidding them from cutting their dick until they are able to give consent to it is any different.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

And it's not the parent's choice everywhere. In Finland, you can sue your parents if they circumsize you. What do you think of that?

The notion that it's up to the parents to do whatever the fuck they want with their kids is clearly absurd.

Julius on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fortunately, I didn't say that parents get "to do whatever the fuck they want with their kids"

Just that an internet message board with delusions of grandeur sure as hell doesn't get to decide.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

So that means people are able to do whatever they want for their children? Forced marriage fine for you? Forced/forbidden abortions? Tattooing whatever they want on their children? Genital piercings? As long as they are under 18, everythingis okay no matter what, despite it being not life-saving nor beneficial?

That's not how human rights work.

While implying that he's a horrible person because "Pro parental choice on circumcision = let the parents do whatever" is effective for skewing views of others it doesn't really help the debate.

In all fairness, it is up to the parents because the procedure does get riskier as the child ages and it does have (albeit minimal) benefits when it comes healthwise.

The biggest barrier between this and your other examples would be social exceptance. Circumcision has been around for a long time so we're okay with it and in general, it's not a 'omg my life is ruined/dictated for me' event like forced marriage and abortion tend to be.

Forced tattoos and genital piercings are not socially acceptable and there also might be laws preventing those as well.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fortunately, I didn't say that parents get "to do whatever the fuck they want with their kids"

Just that an internet message board with delusions of grandeur sure as hell doesn't get to decide.

Umm, yeah, that is sort of given. This is not a legislature. How are we having delusions of grandeur here?

But if a referendum was held on my country banning infant circumcision for good, I'd vote for it. Are you saying that I wouldn't have the right to vote agains people being able to cut the dicks of children who are not able to give consent to said needless procedure?

So that means people are able to do whatever they want for their children? Forced marriage fine for you? Forced/forbidden abortions? Tattooing whatever they want on their children? Genital piercings? As long as they are under 18, everythingis okay no matter what, despite it being not life-saving nor beneficial?

While implying that he's a horrible person because "Pro parental choice on circumcision = let the parents do whatever" is effective for skewing views of others it doesn't really help the debate.

In all fairness, it is up to the parents because the procedure does get riskier as the child ages and it does have (albeit minimal) benefits when it comes healthwise.

The biggest barrier between this and your other examples would be social exceptance. Circumcision has been around for a long time so we're okay with it and in general, it's not a 'omg my life is ruined/dictated for me' event like forced marriage and abortion tend to be.

Forced tattoos and genital piercings are not socially acceptable and there also might be laws preventing those as well.

Forced tattoos and genital piercings are however no less invasive or more permanent then circumcision is. So it's sort of hypocrisy, isn't it? Forced marriages are plenty acceptable in many places.

And there are plenty of things that used to be socially acceptable but are not, because the turning of time changed things. 100 years ago there wasn't even a debate about circumcision.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Has anyone seen the old Daily Show clip of the club who tries to make their foreskin "grow back?"

A bunch of gross looking guys attaching weights to their penises; lamenting to Beth Littleford about how their parents "mutilated" them so long ago. It really made them come off as complete silly geese. Just about what this thread is making most people come off as.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Also?

Certain people still haven't addressed the fact that circumcision only prevents female-to-male AIDS transmission.

Oh, and as I mentioned Scalfin, lose sensitivity, as published in the British Journal of Urology. Fulltext, even!

And you know what's really nice about it? It's not a questionnaire. And it has 159 participantts, with healthy penises.

Didn't you hear? Some people criticized that study, so it's not valid any more.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Has anyone seen the old Daily Show clip of the club who tries to make their foreskin "grow back?"

A bunch of gross looking guys attaching weights to their penises; lamenting to Beth Littleford about how their parents "mutilated" them so long ago. It really made them come off as complete silly geese. Just about what this thread is making most people come off as.

So the actual existence of people who didn't want to be circumcised but were forced to do so anyway is justification for infant circumcisions for you?

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Umm, yeah, that is sort of given. This is not a legislature. How are we having delusions of grandeur here?

But if a referendum was held on my country banning infant circumcision for good, I'd vote for it. Are you saying that I wouldn't have the right to vote agains people being able to cut the dicks of children who are not able to give consent to said needless procedure?

Forced tattoos and genital piercings are however no less invasive or more permanent then circumcision is. So it's sort of hypocrisy, isn't it? Forced marriages are plenty acceptable in many places.

And there are plenty of things that used to be socially acceptable but are not, because the turning of time changed things. 100 years ago there wasn't even a debate about circumcision.

Oh yeah, it is a hypocrisy and for the second part we'll stick to the 'modern world' if you will as rights and 'socially acceptable' can vary widely between countries. I would say the general view here is forced marriage = wrong.

I could definitely see circumcision going the way of the dinosaur but it might not as well. Thing is, it's okay now. If things change and it goes out or (extremely unlikely) becomes mandatory we'll have to deal.

Or hold rallies, I dunno.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Varies in the modern world as well though. I'm the son of a Muslim father and ordinary Finnish mother and I wasn't circumsized because my mom (like most non-immigrant Finns) found the whole idea of forcing an infant to go through such a procedure abhorrent. Really big on consent here. Rest of the Europe is much the same though, though no country is enough to make it illegal. Well, UK is somewhat teetering on the edge.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

You're right. I am going to go in every thread here proclaiming that internet message boards don't get to decide anything.

Julius on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, has anyone ever been in one of these discussions and seen a single foreskined person come in and complain about their parents not forcing them to receive unnecessary irreversible surgery as an infant?

I don't know. To me it seems telling that the only antipathy that exists is from folks who have had the decision made for them.

If I have a son, I doubt I'll have him circumcised. There's no real benefits in the first world, and frankly I'm a little disappointed that my parents had decided to have me circumcised. I think it's wrong to decide something like that for another person, without very good and immediate reasons.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AzazarAzazar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

I dated a girl for three years who told me she couldnt ever see herself having sex with a uncut guy.
    It just turned her off. Probably because every other penis she had seen was cut.

If you're gonna cut off a piece of your dick just to please retarded chicks you might wanna remove your balls too cause you won't be needing them

Azazar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Azazar wrote: »

I dated a girl for three years who told me she couldnt ever see herself having sex with a uncut guy.
    It just turned her off. Probably because every other penis she had seen was cut.

If you're gonna cut off a piece of your dick just to please retarded chicks you might wanna remove your balls too cause you won't be needing them

That's not what he was implying at all, he was just making a point that being circumsized isn't all "OMG LIFE RUINED", there are unintentional perks.

Why do all the off comments get attacked from every angle, really?

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I would say the opposite is true— if you don't want your son to do stupid things because of women, you should probably cut off his balls :P

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    someone's not 'retarded' for having different tastes in the opposite sex

christ

Organichu on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Is it their penis too?

Quid on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Adrien wrote: »
    Please tell me you're not referring to Waskett and Morris.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

That's not what he was implying at all, he was just making a point that being circumsized isn't all "OMG LIFE RUINED", there are unintentional perks.

Why do all the off comments get attacked from every angle, really?

I'm not sure if you've been paying attention to the general trend in this thread, but people have been lamenting uncircumcised people being laughed at, not the other way around.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Please tell me you're not referring to Waskett and Morris.

Not me:
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Oh, and since you kept bringing it up, here's the objective difference in sensitivity. It's not a huge deal, but about as medically significant as the contested claim of some undefined reduction in the risk of a cancer which affects 1 in 100,000 men.

You mean the study about which the publishing journal later said "despite a poorly representative sample and a methodology prone to exaggerating the sensitivity of the prepuce, NOCIRC's claims remain unproven. When the authors' data are analysed properly, no significant differences exist. Thus the claim that circumcision adversely affects penile sensitivity is poorly supported, and this study provides no evidence for the belief that circumcision adversely affects sexual pleasure?" That's your evidence?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Forgive me, I read the first two pages and they were "OMG CIRCUMCISION IS BAD" then the last page seemed to follow the trend so I assumed things stayed relatively normal.

That said, I'm here to deflect attacks on either side since this debate tends to breed aggression.

Sipex on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I actually do use that part of my dick a lot, cause I don't need to spit on it to wack it.

I think that's only reason why they started to cut off the foreskin, to prevent men from masturbating and spilling their seeds on the ground.

People spit on it to masturbate? I've never needed to use any kind of lube for that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The story of Onan has nothing to do with masturbation.

But I will tell you that circumcision doesn't affect that activity at all.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010

People spit on it to masturbate? I've never needed to use any kind of lube for that.

Seriously. Who does that?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, it was actually established after page one that it's not an issue.

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.