As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New iPhone leaked

• Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whoops!

Sounds like Apple had a little security hole that let people view iPad owners' email addresses and SIM card numbers. 114,000+ email addresses.

http://gawker.com/5559346/

potatoe on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Upon further research I think the people I talked to though that I wanted to keep the original $20 edge data plan and use it on 3g instead. I found some statements from AT&T (on their damn official facebook no less) that you'll still be able to switch from the old plan to the $30 3g unlimited plan. People are apparently able to do this right now when they set up an upgrade to a 3gs.

So hooray my worries are gone and I'll preorder on the 15th!

I know the consumerist article talked about this but my own experience with two separate sources had me worried that was just a misinformed CSR. Looks like either I talked to two misinformed people or I didn't word my question exactly right.

rhylith on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    here's another android/iphone comparison article, this one from Lifehacker (who is owned by Gawker and thus a Gizmodo affiliate)

http://lifehacker.com/5559357/iphone-vs-android-showdown-which-phone-is-best-for-power-users

I think it's a little absurd that they added categories obviously slanted toward Android (Non-Google-Apps Syncing is separate from Syncing? "Google Apps Integration" is a fucking category? seriously?), but they give a fairly reasonable, but brief, assessment on most of the non-loaded categories

remember that this is just a straight up OS comparison, so phone hardware features aren't taken into account, and take it with a grain of salt.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    But regardless of 4G speed, one thing the 4G radio definitely does is massacre battery life. You can basically kiss it goodbye if you have the 4G radio enabled. On launch day, I had to run almost as soon as I got my hands on the phone, so I just basically turned it on and threw it in my backpack. It was at around 40% battery when I did that. Two hours (of completely idle time) later, it gave me a 10% battery warning and a half hour after that it was dead. Apparently, 4G and GPS were enabled out of the box and I hadn't looked at that beforehand. With the 4G radio running, expect around 6 hours of IDLE battery life. If you're really hitting the 4G, expect far, far less than that.

:|

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If I can jump contract early and the new iPhone is jailbreakable I am totally picking one up.

I mean I have played with a friends 3GS and was pretty quick and this is supposed to be faster. The 3G is a bit silly when it takes six seconds to open the SMS app.

Then I will be a pretty good boyfriend and give Vivienne my old phone.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Can't she just use the kitchen phone?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No she can use the living room phone when she comes out and gives me a beer.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You're right, in the kitchen it would only distract from her assigned tasks.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    everyone so far has said the iPhone 4's screen is more impressive than the Evo's. But if you want huge, the Evo has it beat.

actually, if you want huge, the Dell Streak is a 5" smartphone that runs android, about an 3/4ths of an inch larger than the Evo
    Dell-Streak.jpg

it is enormous

I would really like one of these. The pricing is great as well. It's free on a 2 year contract, and you can pay £25 a month for unlimited data with no voice, or £35 a month with some minutes and texts as well. I almost never seem to use my 3GS for calls anymore, it has become a 95% internet device, so I'd probably try ditching the minutes.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    there are plans offered with the Streak in Europe?

in america you just buy the thing flat out for like five hundred bucks, I don't think any carriers are onboard

Monoxide on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    If I can jump contract early and the new iPhone is jailbreakable I am totally picking one up.

I mean I have played with a friends 3GS and was pretty quick and this is supposed to be faster. The 3G is a bit silly when it takes six seconds to open the SMS app.

Then I will be a pretty good boyfriend and give Vivienne my old phone.

the jailbreak community has been pretty hush, but yeah, seems like it shouldn't be hard. they don't wanna tip their hand to Apple and reveal their exploit.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I know they can pop iOS 4 on old phones.

But yeah whether or not it is easy on new phones is a thing.

Blake T on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hmmm

point

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    At this point dev-team can jailbreak your cat if they wanted to.

Dude's got skills.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I mean I remember the mid season hardware revision for the 3GS stopped the blacksnow exploit.

Blake T on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What is the status if any on iPad jailbreaks. Or even any reason to

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just as easy, just as many reasons as before, multitasking, custom themes, the usual.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I mean I remember the mid season hardware revision for the 3GS stopped the blacksnow exploit.

And now they can jailbreak anything in a single click with minimal effort with Spirit.

blacksnow is unlocking though, isn't it? I'll be honest, I don't know much about the unlocking side of it.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Currently the status of jailbreaking is so fucking easy it is silly.

The longest part of it is the one minute download to get the software.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »

And now they can jailbreak anything in a single click with minimal effort with Spirit.

blacksnow is unlocking though, isn't it? I'll be honest, I don't know much about the unlocking side of it.

I think it's both? Or maybe it was a yellowsnow?

I got mine unlocked to begin with.

Blake T on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the biggest problem i have with jailbreaking an iPhone with the T-Mobile network is that even when jailbroken, the compatibility for the T-Mobile network isn't the best, so you don't actually get 3G speeds with a jailbroken iPhone on T-Mobile.

if the iPhone 4 is different, and you can actually access the T-Mobile data network fully, I am almost willing to buy it separately and use T-Mobile

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Theoretically the i4 supports all five UTMS bands.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any idea how much data netflix streaming will use? I'm currently on unlimited but only use about 100meg a month. Was thinking about downgrading my data but not if netflix uses a ton of bandwith.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Any idea how much data netflix streaming will use? I'm currently on unlimited but only use about 100meg a month. Was thinking about downgrading my data but not if netflix uses a ton of bandwith.

I watch a movie most nights and I've been using like 20gigs a month.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    BYToady wrote: »

Desktop streaming is completely different.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    What is the status if any on iPad jailbreaks. Or even any reason to

http://gizmodo.com/5530906/jailbreaking-your-ipad-how-you-can-and-why-you-should

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So after trying numurous things to fix my backup issue, i still cant get it to work. I even installed the SDK, which did nothing but take up 5gb of space

and i just realized i probably cant downgrade since my most recent backup is os 4 based now

Basically i just have to hope nothing happens before the official os 4 comes out, or that nothing breaks when i upgrade to it.

It also means 2 weeks of worse battery life

ronzo on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is there any way to save pdfs and whatever else onto iphones
    i know you can open them from emails but some option to save documents to the phone would be nice too

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hahaha

You're funny Air.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    (The solution is to jailbreak)

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm fairly positive there are a number of apps that will save documents for you.

Also iBooks is going to have PDF.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There might be good reader for the iPhone. I have it on the ipad and it is pretty neat. Though the ibooks thing will probably have me using it less.

Also thanks for the link CD, I will check into Cydia although for the most part it doesn't look like jail breaking an iPad gives too many benefits, especially once iOS4 hits.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ah i just got something
    theres plenty of programs that can do it but its silly not to have a document syncing thing in itunes
    especially when the phone is able to handle the files

so the alternative is trying to work out which is the best of a shitload of options and having to use some strange workaround to get files on there

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Does netflix have an option for mobile devices? Cause thats pretty cool if they do.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Does netflix have an option for mobile devices? Cause thats pretty cool if they do.

Netflix has an iPad app and they will be releasing an app for the iPhone sometime in the summer.

Also, air, document management should become better once iWork is released on the iPhone. Apple has a photograph of the iPhone running iWork on their website/in their press materials but they took it down.

06-07-10iwork.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/apple-screenshot-confirms-iwork-coming-to-iphone/

Edit: Also, according to Reuters Hulu will be releasing applications on the iPad and Xbox 360. It's probable we might see one for the iPhone as well. A lot of people have been wanting it, I'm sure. I definitely have.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/reuters-hulu-plans-to-expand-to-ipad-xbox-360-offer-subscript/

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "We'll email you when iPhone 4 is available for pre-order."

Wheeeeeeeeeee

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Netflix has an iPad app and they will be releasing an app for the iPhone sometime in the summer.

Also, air, document management should become better once iWork is released on the iPhone. Apple has a photograph of the iPhone running iWork on their website/in their press materials but they took it down.

snip

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/apple-screenshot-confirms-iwork-coming-to-iphone/

Edit: Also, according to Reuters Hulu will be releasing applications on the iPad and Xbox 360. It's probable we might see one for the iPhone as well. A lot of people have been wanting it, I'm sure. I definitely have.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/reuters-hulu-plans-to-expand-to-ipad-xbox-360-offer-subscript/

this is something I hadn't heard, and makes me want an iPad even more than I already did

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want an iPad but I know the next iPad is going to have cool new features and maybe a design philosophy similar to the i4. So I'm going to try really hard to wait.

Really really hard.

I probably won't make it.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, the idea of an iPad with the design of the new iPhone sounds really, really nice

like oh my goodness

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    the ipad has a very similar design already, except the back is curved brushed aluminum instead of flat glass. the sides are already flat metal like the iphone 4's are. it's more similar in design to the i4 than it is the 3GS, in my opinion.

Monoxide on
This discussion has been closed.