As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Supreme Court Says "No" to State/Student-Subsidized Bigotry

124»

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    well, I think this goes to my ignorance about the structure of college groups and who is a voting member and how you become one. Is everyone who signs up to join the club automatically a voting member? Or are voting members a small group out of the whole club?

Aside from all that, lazegamer posted a quote that said Hasting's policy was that you couldn't prevent people that disagreed with your ideology from becoming voting members. So my question is moot anyway. CLS is wrong.
    Voting membership is typically established by the by-laws of the group. Usually, you have to have shown up for X meetings in the past Y length of time, maybe have to have paid dues, or participated in some event. My guess is that it varies by school.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Kastanj wrote: »
    So when do we start putting the Christians into camps? I've got the boots polished and everything.

We don't have any Christian martyrs in this thread, we need to create some.

Look, all I'm saying is that when we start throwing Christians in our camps we should throw in gay Christians as well, because if we were to start discriminating then we'd lose our state funding for concentration camps.

Winky on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    mythago wrote: »
    I was a member of the Federalist Society in law school and they were perfectly aware that I was not a conservative or libertarian. In fact, they thought it was awesome, because (my chapter - not the national organization) believed that civil debate was paramount and that if your opinions couldn't stand up to rational discussion with somebody from a different political philosophy, they weren't worth having. They also brought in speakers to debate issues of political interest and made damn sure that the 'liberal' speaker was equally as formidable as the guy whose viewpoints they favored.
    Our Federalist Society chapter worked with the liberal law student groups to bring speakers from both sides for some really interesting discussions. But, I think you can do that with law student groups since law students tend to be older and more mature. College groups are hit or miss- the College Republicans and College Democrats at my undergrad wouldn't piss on each other if their hair was on fire.

We actually had protestors outside one of our events dealing with affirmative action. Which was weird, because the event involved a couple of academics talking about recent court rulings on affirmative action and their predictions on how the courts would rule in a few cases that were on their dockets. We really couldn't figure out why anyone would find the event controversial. But, I guess some undergrads saw "Affirmative Action" on the flyers and decided to get their protest on.

Wait, there are College Republicans at Michigan? :P

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    What about a religious group that doesn't let black people in because it believes, for religious reasons, that black people are the accursed descendants of Ham?

All in all, not such a terrible fate. 8-)

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    During my time there, we were the biggest student group on campus.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited June 2010

I imagine you were in school during the two affirmative action cases then? That seemed to fire them up from what I recall. They were much quieter during my time there.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    IIRC the College Republicans have a much stronger national network than most campus clubs, so they can muster a surprising number of members even at liberal campuses.

Hachface on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    IIRC the College Republicans have a much stronger national network than most campus clubs, so they can muster a surprising number of members even at liberal campuses.

They sound like great community organizers.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I imagine you were in school during the two affirmative action cases then? That seemed to fire them up from what I recall. They were much quieter during my time there.
    That was after my time. I imagine that must have been an interesting time on campus.
    Hachface wrote: »
    College Republicans do a lot of election-time work for the GOP in terms of knocking on doors, hanging out fliers and the like. So, it's a pretty well-organized group that also gets money from the GOP to help with advertising, recruiting and other events. And, for whatever reason, the various liberal student groups tend to be a lot more fractured. College Democrats tend to be a lot smaller because liberal students can join more specialized student groups.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Granted I was in college back when Socrates was still teaching, but yea, there were and are despite all the LUGs (Liberal Until Graduation). The whole western half of the freaking state is made up of conservative Protestants and there are plenty of rich kids going to Michigan on Mommy and Daddy's money.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Granted I was in college back when Socrates was still teaching, but yea, there were and are despite all the LUGs (Liberal Until Graduation). The whole western half of the freaking state is made up of conservative Protestants and there are plenty of rich kids going to Michigan on Mommy and Daddy's money.

Oh I know, I was making a joke.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I cannot stop being terrified at the notion that almost every single important SCOTUS decision I can think of has come down to a 5-4 ruling.

My god. If we had one more crazy justice...

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Oh I know, I was making a joke.

My bad - I misinterpreted the joke as going in the other direction.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I cannot stop being terrified at the notion that almost every single important SCOTUS decision I can think of has come down to a 5-4 ruling.

Hey Lawrence v Texas was 6-3 and Brown v Board of Education was 9-0. ;)

On the other hand I would be goddamn happy if the court came out with a 5-4 decision making sexual orientation a suspect class. Go California Supreme Court! woooo!

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

On the other hand I would be goddamn happy if the court came out with a 5-4 decision making sexual orientation a suspect class.

Lawrence was pre-Alito/Roberts. That would be 5-4 at best today.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why do you have to remind me? :'(

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The justices do take into account how the others will vote; Brown v. Board of Education was steered toward a unanimous decision (for instance). It would likely have been a 6-3 decision otherwise.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seriously, I find Alito far more terrifying than Scalia.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

On the other hand I would be goddamn happy if the court came out with a 5-4 decision making sexual orientation a suspect class. Go California Supreme Court! woooo!

Yeah Brown V Board was pretty pleasing.

But Texas V Johnson was 5-4 and that seemed like it should have really been open and shut. oh hey how much do you want to bet Alito would be all for laws against flag burning.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Roberts would almost certainly have signed on to the majority in Lawrence.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Roberts would almost certainly have signed on to the majority in Lawrence.

Based on what?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am just happy about McDonald v. Chicago. Woohoo incorporation of the 2nd amendment.

Detharin on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's kind of embarrassing how much better the republican party is at organizing campuses than the democratic party is.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's kind of embarrassing how much better the republican party is at organizing campuses than the democratic party is.

Well, colleges are corrupt bastions of liberalism, right?

It's boring to join a "We're liberals!" student group. Everybody's a liberal in college. Except the handful of people in the "We're conservatives!" group - they get to stand out and rattle people. The people in the corresponding liberals group probably just want to get a jump start on their nascent political careers.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Students tend to be more issue oriented than party-oriented, at least in my experience.

Especially liberal college students. There's not really much for issue activism on campuses for conservatives except for getting together to bitch about poor kids taking their rightful scholarship money.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, and also the liberal student group is you know, the football stadium.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, and also the liberal student group is you know, the football stadium.
    That depends on the institution, though.

I went to school at Nebraska, and while campus and the surrounding community was one of the most liberal parts of the state, it wasn't exactly Massachusetts degrees of liberalism. It was probably an even split among native students, in terms of political outlook. I was one of three guys on my floor that self-ID'd as liberal.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Detharin wrote: »
    I am just happy about McDonald v. Chicago. Woohoo incorporation of the 2nd amendment.
    So retarded.

It really is the worst amendment.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Students tend to be more issue oriented than party-oriented, at least in my experience.

Especially liberal college students. There's not really much for issue activism on campuses for conservatives except for getting together to bitch about poor kids taking their rightful scholarship money.

This so hard. I go to school at the University of Montana in Missoula, and i cant believe the type of stuff i'm hearing about how Native American students don't deserve the specialized scholarships they're given for achievement in their individual communities (read: reservations). Those that were given out through state government means were protested against as handouts, saying that the scholarships should be ripped apart and remade to include the whole of Montana's students achievements in their individual communities (read:suburbs). The bootstraps argument sucks.

I was thinking to myself: Can we stop taking shits on Amerindians please?

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'm gonna buy another handgun in celebration.

this is a stupid totp

shorttimin on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'm just entertained at "structuralists" and "originalists" suddenly getting on all board with hand-wavy interpretation stuff like incorporation because, dude, guns!

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm just entertained at "structuralists" and "originalists" suddenly getting on all board with hand-wavy interpretation stuff like incorporation because, dude, guns!
    It's just like how they always support states' rights, unless it's about gay marriage or legalizing pot.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    It's just like how they always support states' rights, unless it's about gay marriage or legalizing pot.

Or like Orrin Hatch's comment 'states rights, when they're right' about assisted suicide. Or judicial activism being bad, except when it you apply it to drug cases or flag burning. (This is why I left the Federalist Society after law school.)

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.