Options

Are you aware that [Predators] is getting decent reviews?

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Actually:
    That scene is still in the movie, the difference is that it only has the one target - the most red one in the shot. It was done just to emphasize there were multiple predators I would say.

Whoever built that trailer shot needs to work on their photoshop/aftereffects, because half of those look terrible. Just shoot lasers into Brody's eyes - he can take it.

President Rex on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A friend of mine just spoiled it for me by telling me which of the characters died "in the coolest way."

What a fucking idiot. He claimed it wasn't spoiling because it was just an action movie. How can some people be so stupid as to not realize knowing who dies actually drains a lot of tension when watching it?

Glyph on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He spoiled Brody's death by Ice Cube, and thus also a really awesome cameo? That's weak.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought he was he referring to when Isabella was killed by a crooked Predator, who then framed the murder on the kindhearted Coolio, but was later evicted of the charges thanks to the combined effort of Jon Favreau and Ben Affleck.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My only real problem with the movie was it seemed at times like a remake of Predator 1. Almost as if someone took all the really great scenes from Predator and rehashed them. Their was a lot the movie did right, and a bit that was really superfluous.
    I really wish the predator vs predator fight had been a bit more... stylish. The katana fight in the moonlight was excellent. However finally we have an opponent to really demonstrate predator fighting skills on and it ends up being a couple good hits, a couple headbutts, and then the "classic" predator gets his head lopped off. I really would have liked to have seen the classic predator be a bit more of a badass.

Second the russians kids REALLY should have been named Sasha and Natascha

Other than a couple gripes damn good movie.

Detharin on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just saw this, really enjoyed it. Honestly consider it the real spiritual successor to Predator. All they need to do now is have Ridley Scotts film up to par, and we'll almost be past what the AvPs did to the respective series.

I liked the concept of having each character intended to be a possible hero of the film/survivor
    though it didn't fully work (pretty clear from the start who was going to make it out). Though the ending almost had me.
    Wasn't exactly deep, but for 'hell yeah' moments it more then had its fill, without pushing silly.
    And thank god they went with the ending they did, not the old one. Met that balance between not the perfect happy ending, but not an egregious downer either.

Hope it does well as the box office, though I don’t know where they’d go from here.

Also, not that it matters, but was the big guy meant to be Russian or Chechnyan?

Edit: My bad.

Leitner on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    So... are pople now discussing spoilers openly? Goodbye thread.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That Ebert review is a bit of a piece of shit, to be honest. Not that I've seen Predators, but that absolutely doesn't tell me anything interesting about the quality of the film. I'm not sure I care about the practicality of monsters in an 80's action movie throwback.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Leitner, you might wanna spoil that bit about the ending. While you're not outright stating what happens, you're giving away
    whether everyone makes it out alive or if they all die.

I liked the movie. I chuckled when
    the Yakuza guy did the Samurai showdown with the Predator. That he just happened to find a katana. That it just happened to be durable enough not to break against the Predator's advanced, shielded armblade. It felt like something added because it was too cool to be left out just because it was ridiculous. And I completely agree with that choice :D

Also, regarding the ending
    I really thought Royce was dead when the ship blew up. Totally called the doctor being a psycho killer. Predator fight was great, and the Good Predator dying was a great touch because they could have gone the other way and I'm glad they didn't.

Oddly, my opinion of the movie's increased the more I think about how they subverted a lot of common action movie tropes. Fishburne wasn't the badass he was set-up to be. The main character wasn't all that noble. The Good Predator didn't kill the Bad Predator. Was surprised the Russian went back for Foreman. And the Convict, honestly, was a huge scumbag creep, which made his sacrifice all the more surprising. Gotta love breaking formula.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Just saw this, really enjoyed it. Honestly consider it the real spiritual successor to Predator. All they need to do now is have Ridley Scotts film up to par, and we'll almost be past what the AvPs did to the respective series.

I liked the concept of having each character intended to be a possible hero of the film/survivor
    though it didn't fully work (pretty clear from the start who was going to make it out). Though the ending almost had me.
    Wasn't exactly deep, but for 'hell yeah' moments it more then had its fill, without pushing silly.
    And thank god they went with the ending they did, not the old one. Met that balance between not the perfect happy ending, but not an egregious downer either.

Hope it does well as the box office, though I don’t know where they’d go from here.

Also, not that it matters, but was the big guy meant to be Russian or Chechnyan?

Edit: My bad.

Oleg Taktarov is Russian. Former UFC fighter, boxed Dolph Lundgren (its on youtube), and now an actor.

This was a true sequel; more Preds, more violence, and it expanded the Predator (film) lore. And who the fuck new Adrian Brody could bulk up?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All Spetznatz dudes carry nuclear hand grenades with them at all times.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also one day a film will have a minigun in it that actually kills shit rather than shooting the ground aggressively.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also one day a film will have a minigun in it that actually kills shit rather than shooting the ground aggressively.

Didn't they slaughter a bunch of people with a minigun in Black Hawk Down?

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Never seen it. IS IT THE CHOSEN FILM OF MINIGUN SHOOTING?!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I just got back from a morning showing of this, and I'll have to throw my hat into the 'not bad' ring. It wasn't spectacular by any means, but it was a hell of a lot better than the crap from AvP 1&2. I feel reasonably comfortable saying it was better than Predator 2 as well.

This. I really had to laugh/roll my eyes at the scene where
    The first alien/dog thing is charging at them. Seven of the most fearsome killers on the planet are opening up on this thing with miniguns, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, submachine guns, and pistols, and apparently not one of them could hit the broad side of a barn.

Also,
    The creepy doctor character's betrayal felt really arbitrary. Everyone knew from the start that he was more of a killer than he let on, but he gained absolutely nothing from turning on them. It made no sense, and it felt like it was shoehorned in purely for the sake of having some kind of menacing betrayal scene.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just got back from seeing the movie. My only issue so far on reflection is
    the doctor. How could the predators know he was a killer? Most humans didn't know he was a killer. He blends in. How would the predators pick him out amongst billions of humans?

But even accepting that they somehow knew his proclivity for murder, selecting him doesn't make sense. He's got no combat training or survival skills. He kills by backstabbing unsuspecting victims. He's not really a threat to a predator.

I mean what's he gonna do? Earn the predator's trust so he can get in close and chloroform him?

RT800 on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RT800 wrote: »
    the doctor. How would the predators know that he's a killer? Most humans didn't know he was a killer. He blends in. How would the predators pick him out amongst billions of humans?

But even accepting that they somehow knew his proclivity for murder, selecting him doesn't make sense. He's got no combat training or survival skills. He kills by backstabbing unsuspecting victims. He's not really a threat to predator.

I mean what's he gonna do? Earn the predator's trust so he can get in close and chloroform them?
    Maybe they send in a doctor with each group, and this time they accidentally picked one that also murders for fun.

Isidore on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isidore wrote: »
    the doctor. How would the predators know that he's a killer? Most humans didn't know he was a killer. He blends in. How would the predators pick him out amongst billions of humans?

But even accepting that they somehow knew his proclivity for murder, selecting him doesn't make sense. He's got no combat training or survival skills. He kills by backstabbing unsuspecting victims. He's not really a threat to predator.

I mean what's he gonna do? Earn the predator's trust so he can get in close and chloroform them?
    Maybe they send in a doctor with each group, and this time they accidentally picked one that also murders for fun.
    We don't know his backstory, he could have been in prison and a known murderer. Also I don't get the sense that the Predators chose him, I think someone else does the choosing on their behalf. As for why they chose him? They say in the movie the Predators are constantly trying to improve their game, it make sense to have people who might do unexpected things rather than just standard military tough guys.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Isidore wrote: »

We don't know his backstory, he could have been in prison and a known murderer. Also I don't get the sense that the Predators chose him, I think someone else does the choosing on their behalf. As for why they chose him? They say in the movie the Predators are constantly trying to improve their game, it make sense to have people who might do unexpected things rather than just standard military tough guys.

Have any of you read the novel The Contest by Matthew Reilly or seen the movie Pathology?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Surprisingly good.
    Somewhat sad that Royce didn't just die at the push of a button. He was a bit of a giant dick.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Got back a bit ago and loved the hell out of it.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    So I just got back from a morning showing of this, and I'll have to throw my hat into the 'not bad' ring. It wasn't spectacular by any means, but it was a hell of a lot better than the crap from AvP 1&2. I feel reasonably comfortable saying it was better than Predator 2 as well.

The first alien/dog thing is charging at them. Seven of the most fearsome killers on the planet are opening up on this thing with miniguns, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, submachine guns, and pistols, and apparently not one of them could hit the broad side of a barn.

Also,
    The creepy doctor character's betrayal felt really arbitrary. Everyone knew from the start that he was more of a killer than he let on, but he gained absolutely nothing from turning on them. It made no sense, and it felt like it was shoehorned in purely for the sake of having some kind of menacing betrayal scene.

regarding the second spoiler
    He was going to rape the girl, or torture her in some way, so he was gaining something, he seemed like he was gonna enjoy himself. I guess he wanted one last victim before dying... at least this was my read of it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    rndmhero wrote: »

Also,

regarding the second spoiler
    He was going to rape the girl, or torture her in some way, so he was gaining something, he seemed like he was gonna enjoy himself. I guess he wanted one last victim before dying... at least this was my read of it.

I took it as him
    finding a place where he's supposed to kill; he'd be valued and praised for doing what he loves. He came across a species that truly values the art of killing, and figured he would fit in beautifully. Sure, we know his style of killing doesn't jive with how the Predator's roll, but best he could tell they just flat out enjoyed them some killing.

Editorial Addition: Hence the
    "I'm like you" before he got blowed the fuck up.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this was good

i had problems with it of course

but it was still fucking awesome

the fact trailers for Machete and The Expendables aired before it only helped

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe they're actually making one of the fake trailers from Grindhouse.

Like....really?

[tiny]I'm totally going to see Machette[/tiny]

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I need to see this movie.

Man, if someone had told me a few months ago that the Avatar movie and a new Predator movie were coming out within a week of each other, and the Predator movie was going to be the better option...

see317 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought it was OK, but nothing special, really.

There were quite a few dumb parts, but
    Fishbournes character was a definite highlight. So was the Predator/Yakuza swordfight.

I was actually more in awe of the Inception trailer than the movie.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apparently I'm the only one coming in here to say that this movie was absolutely atrocious.

The dialog was completely forced and terrible (not in that fun, campy b kind of way either), the character development was accidental at best and contrived at worst. It also seemed like every single character was pulling a Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne voice to sound much tougher than they ever have before, thus making the entire thing this hamfisted attempt at male bravado. The action was piss poor, especially the
    Yakuza/Predator fight. It lasted a minute, was in total darkness and was a character running at a predator 3 consecutive times and then over.

I still don't get how an advanced alien civilization that can navigate ships and (supposedly) build them have a huge weakness such as FIRE, THE FIRST THINGS HUMANS "CREATED." They've been doing this thousands of years and haven't thought to develop some other spectrum of vision that doesn't go bonkers at MUD AND FIRE?

This movie sucked and I honestly don't see how anyone got any sense of satisfaction or joy out of it. Hell, as pure entertainment pieces (which is exactly what these movies fall under) I enjoyed both Predator and Predator 2 far more.

Favorite dialog:
    Topher Grace's character saying "you speak English" after the Yakuza guy clearly speaking it, not as a statement...but as a question no less.

A friend we went with fell asleep within 15 minutes of it, and I truly feel he was saved from watching 2 hours of someone vomiting on celluloid and calling it a film.

Crayon on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really enjoyed it, especially the homages to the original Predator.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh come on Crayon the
    sword fight was fantastic and refreshing in that he at least came close to displaying the proper method for using a katana. It's a heavy, two-handed sword and traditional dueling typically functioned in that manner, with "passes" if you will that usually resulted in a killing blow.

The movie was fun, with well rounded chacters. The dialogue was contrived during a lot of the first half of the movie, but I forgive it given the alternative, being a series of much more realistic "Oh god, I don't understand what's happening" would've been much more dull.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I liked this, but they should have stuck to more practical explosion effects. Good lord, that was some of the worst fire I've seen ever.

It could have been done a lot better, and it was pretty unoriginal, but it was at a minimum an enjoyable "Predator only more" update.

Now what I'd love to see is a Predator family going on a fun hunting trip... that goes terribly wrong.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Only if Ice-T is the reason it goes wrong.

(Someone throw a photo of him running through the woods from that one movie, I'm too lazy and tired)

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe they're actually making one of the fake trailers from Grindhouse.

Like....really?

They're making TWO of the fake trailers from Grindhouse. "Hobo With a Shotgun" gets released later this year, starring Rutger Hauer as the Hobo.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This was a fun movie.

Adrien Brody worked out HARD you guys. Wow.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Adrian Brody should have left his shirt on. He might have worked out, but he's still a skinny white boy.

But I really enjoyed this movie. It was super fun to watch.

An-D on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010

Like....really?

Do you want your mind fucking blown?
    Are you ready?
    Machete is a spin-off of the Spy Kids franchise. He's their uncle.

I know, right?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait wait wait.

You were looking for character development in a Predator film?

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Like....really?

Are you ready?

I know, right?

Bullshit. I'm going to google this shit right now.

....and you're right, apparently. Wow.

An-D on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    An-D wrote: »

Like....really?

Are you ready?

I know, right?

Bullshit. I'm going to google this shit right now.

....and you're right, apparently. Wow.

Amazing isn't it?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Oh come on Crayon the
    sword fight was fantastic and refreshing in that he at least came close to displaying the proper method for using a katana. It's a heavy, two-handed sword and traditional dueling typically functioned in that manner, with "passes" if you will that usually resulted in a killing blow.

The movie was fun, with well rounded chacters. The dialogue was contrived during a lot of the first half of the movie, but I forgive it given the alternative, being a series of much more realistic "Oh god, I don't understand what's happening" would've been much more dull.
    Apparently the actor playing him is a kendo fighter and was the one who decided on that scene going the way it did instead of crazy martial arts goofiness.

That who scene was an amazing homage to traditional sword-fighting.

Anyway, I loved the shit out of this movie. It was really, really good. Really good. One of the nice details I appreciate was how they depicted the weapons pretty damn accurately.

Hell, it's the only time I can remember where I've seen a movie get the firing sound on a Minigun correct. Yes, it's a high-pitched whine, not the standard "movie sound" of lots of bullets.

Also, Brody's character rocking an AA-12 made me laugh - now, every time I run that particular build in Modern Warfare 2, I'm gonna feel just like him. :lol:

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg