As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This [Chat] Thread Dedicated to Cokebotle and YamiNoSenshi

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    I often forget if I've watched Se7en.

The answer always turns out to be that I just want more Criminal Minds episodes and that I really should get around to watching Zodiac.

I knew the ending to Zodiac because I know too much about serial killers.

It was still a really good movie.

Tav on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Arivia: Se7en is not a movie one easily forgets.

See, I remember things! Like I generally know the box scene, but I don't know how they get him. And I remember Sloth and Gluttony, but I don't really get the big reveal/the point.

So I don't know.
    He gives himself up to the detectives. And the point was to show that even those who were vitreous were flawed. Even those who were fighting against the decay were nothing more then part of it.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, nothing like a mug of tea to refresh.

...I'm sorry Mori.

I kinda <3 tea too.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    I also wonder what it says about our society that we worship these cartoonish portrayals of machismo.

Maybe I don't really wonder...

Maybe people just like funny videos and it has nothing to do with pretend machismo or worship.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chuck Norris, Old Spice guy, Bruce Campbell, the Most Interesting Man in the World, etc. are evidence that mainstream culture has appropriated camp as a cultural value. This is a good thing, IMO.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I also wonder what it says about our society that we worship these cartoonish portrayals of machismo.

Maybe I don't really wonder...

Maybe people just like funny videos and it has nothing to do with pretend machismo or worship.

Yeah, maybe...

Maybe...

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chuck Norris, Old Spice guy, Bruce Campbell, the Most Interesting Man in the World, etc. are evidence that mainstream culture has appropriated camp as a cultural value. This is a good thing, IMO.

It's better than irony anyway.

Chanus on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

...I'm sorry Mori.

I kinda <3 tea too.

Here's what I think of your precious tea!

el_panda_flamethrower_wallpaper.jpg

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010

It's camp. A loving parody of traditional gender roles. We recognize it's silly, but a small part of us wishes we could be that guy or be with that guy (or both!).

Psh. I wish I could be in that guy. :winky:

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

...I'm sorry Mori.

I kinda <3 tea too.

Here's what I think of your precious tea!

el_panda_flamethrower_wallpaper.jpg

nooooooooooo : (

<3<3<3

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it's camp?

Elendil on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whelp my blot is in the darkroom developing.

Coffee now.

Time to find a dark corner and WORRY.

Galahad on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

It's camp. A loving parody of traditional gender roles. We recognize it's silly, but a small part of us wishes we could be that guy or be with that guy (or both!).

Yes, camp would be the perfect word to describe it.

Winky on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

100%. Camp is a form of humor I highly appreciate, and I'm very glad Old Spice has been very successful with it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Well, camp is slightly ironic but it's slightly sincere.

The core value behind camp (or at least one of the core values, in a queer studies sense) is that the adoption of a traditional gender role is okay as long as it is freely chosen, rather than forced upon us. By showing this gender role in a humorous light, it loses it's coercive power (I couldn't think of a better term than 'coercive,' sorry) but it's not rejected entirely... because rejecting it entirely runs the risk of pressuring people to adopt equal but opposite roles.

In other words, don't take things too seriously. That's all.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm playing on my laptop infront of me and posting from my work PC. The mice are starting to confuse me.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think camp is the ultimate attitude. Appreciating something for what it is while simultaneously appreciating how ridiculous or hilarious it is. It humbles the subject while opening it up for sincere enjoyment.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm playing on my laptop infront of me and posting from my work PC. The mice are starting to confuse me.

Are you tripping balls or did I read that wrong?

Chanus on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The old spice guy is awesome. I will take no lip otherwise! I actually laugh at his commercials. Though fuck old spice, stuff smells like an old man.

Also Bruce Campbell is awesome. Even his name has camp in it! Huzzah!

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q84UqsRcf0

So I guess this came out. Anyone try it?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    I think camp is the ultimate attitude. Appreciating something for what it is while simultaneously appreciating how ridiculous or hilarious it is. It humbles the subject while opening it up for sincere enjoyment.

But it leads to the path of liking things ironically.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Well, camp is slightly ironic but it's slightly sincere.

The core value behind camp (or at least one of the core values, in a queer studies sense) is that the adoption of a traditional gender role is okay as long as it is freely chosen, rather than forced upon us. By showing this gender role in a humorous light, it loses it's coercive power (I couldn't think of a better term than 'coercive,' sorry) but it's not rejected entirely... because rejecting it entirely runs the risk of pressuring people to adopt equal but opposite roles.

In other words, don't take things too seriously. That's all.

Yeah, I can see that.

I'm in an odd mood. Twenty minutes ago I was linking clips of it to my girlfriend. Now it irritates me.

I need a nap.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    the only thing camp about those commercials is the tent they make me pitch

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Are you tripping balls or did I read that wrong?

You did both.

The work PC's monitor is higher than my laptop.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

Wrong, it's the medium, it's ironically liking things gone right.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Me too.

PantsB: Or liking things skeptically. When you like something ironically, that smacks of dishonesty. How can you like something but not really like it? I admit that I wish I could swan dive onto a motorcycle in a hot tub. I'd also let that man bone the hell out of me. But I don't expect either one.

Feral on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

Which is dumb as shit.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

See this is why people get confused on what sex you are.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can't really like a thing ironically, but you can like a thing that is highly exaggerated and serves as an ironic presentation of something. Like Old Spice and manliness.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bah, I have to work late today.

How is it that my coworkers and friends have all the time in the world but I'm constantly scrambling just to stay afloat?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

How is that confusing? Boners are a male sex trait.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

yes, but elendil may or may not be a girl. or is it clever?

maybe s/he likes classical music?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bah, I have to work late today.

How is it that my coworkers and friends have all the time in the world but I'm constantly scrambling just to stay afloat?

They're not tied up in the basement.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Are there gender clues I'm missing? If Elendil is trans then I apologize and will call her her, but if not then I would call a penis a strong indicator of being a dude.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have no corporeal form

Elendil on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woooo registered for my classes for next year, what a weight off my shoulders

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Are there gender clues I'm missing? If Elendil is trans then I apologize and will call her her, but if not then I would call a penis a strong indicator of being a dude.

or old spice makes heirm want to go camping. NO ONE KNOWS

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Elendil has been stated as being female. But gives off clues for being male. So it gets confusing.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BONERS! HOW DO THEY WORK?!

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Elendil has been stated as being female. But gives off clues for being male. So it gets confusing.

i thought that was elldren?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
This discussion has been closed.