Options

The New Reading/Book Thread: With That Same Ol' Bad Taste!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    So I'm about half-way through V. and I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Thomas Pynchon. This book is just so damn... exciting. It's an absolute feast.

I'm tempted to go onto Gravity's Rainbow immediately after I finish V.

V. also has the best advice ever in the world, delivered by Slothrop himself.
    "Keep cool, but care."
    Are you at the Mondaugen chapter yet in South Africa? What a mind-scrambler.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    YaYa wrote: »
    there is no way I could read the Lord of the Rings trilogy again

the only reason I read them the first time is because I felt like I was obligated to

Yeah, same here. I read them all, they were pretty OK, but man did they ever drag.

Also, someone on these here forums once recommended the Vampire Hunter D novels to me, so I bought one. I guess someone trolled me or something, because this shit is terrible.

More people need to be aware of this epic troll.

Has anyone else read this? Do the books get better? The setting is actually pretty neat, but my god the writing in the first book is bad.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finished reading this today:

columbine-cover.jpg

It was compelling and comprehensive journalism in book form and it was really good. I'd recommend it if you want a good nonfiction book to read for a few days. I was able to meet the author, Dave Cullen, and he had a lot of interesting things to say about the research that went into the book. Took him 10 years to write it!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Columbine really was excellent, I'd second the recommendation.

And whoever first brought up The Gone Away World, I love you. I'm only about 100 pages in and can already tell this book will be a recurring favorite.

Peen on
  • Options
    TidwayTidway Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I recently finished The Name of the Wind and the Mass Effect books (I got seriously heavy into the games, needed the story more fleshed out). And now I'm not sure what to read.

I have the following unread, of my newer books:

- Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
    - Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
    - Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman (this is going to be a trend.)
    - Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
    - Interworld by Neil Gaiman (I had a Barnes and Noble's gift card and had just read American Gods and the Sandman series. Went a bit crazy. Do the same thing everytime I find a new 'favorite' author.)
    - Dune by Frank Herbert (I'm worried about reading this one first because even if it was released first in real time, in the story's chronology isn't there a prequel or something somewhere?)
    - The Scientists by John Gribbon
    - The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

And a number of older things I've never read like, LOTR (tried so many times to finish it), everything ever written by Lewis Carroll (definitely my favorite), Art of War, The Divine Comedy, Iliad, Odyssey, Metamorphosis, The Crucible, Death of a Salesman, One Flew over the Cuckoo's next, Slaughterhouse Five, Welcome to the Monkey House, etc.

I have all that and I'm still thinking of buying some new books. ._. Those being House of Leaves, John Dies at the End and some other one I can't remember for some reason.

I guess I'm trying to say I'm indecisive, and read a lot. So, hi.

Tidway on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the Dune prequels are horrible and no one should read them

read Dune because it is fantastic

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dune is my favourite collection of words printed on sheets of paper held together with glue ever.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd say go with dune or good omens

depending on your mood

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    All right, then, I'll get started on it. Hopefully it'll keep me from looking at new books on Amazon for a few days. e.e

E: It being Dune. Then Good Omens I suppose, I enjoyed the first chapter of the latter tremendously, then just put it down, I don't know why.

Thanks very much.

Tidway on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I need to read Dune.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I actually made it all the way through God Emperor Of Dune and just... just didn't care any more.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I need to read Dune.

From what I've read thus far of the mysterious/ominous opening/prologue, it seems you do.

I always listen to music while reading. Dunno, why, just like associating it with what I'm reading, and Leonard Cohen really doesn't seem to fit this, what with his Gypsy Wife interfering with my personification of this witch woman.

I was thinking the Mass Effect soundtrack just because it has that 'epic space' feel to it. Anyone else do this/have a better suggestion?

Tidway on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Oh, believe me, I have.

It's just that Tolkien is a terrible storyteller, and it is incredibly noticeable in LOTR

The Silmarillion, on the other hand, played to his strengths by being written in a meticulous, mythological way that the professional linguist in him excelled at

Also, fun fact: the whole thing started when tolkien was grading papers for his parents, and he took a sheet of scrap paper and wrote down the word "hobbit"

kind of but not really
    In a 1955 letter to W. H. Auden, Tolkien recollects that he began work on The Hobbit one day early in the 1930s, when he was marking School Certificate papers. He found a blank page. Suddenly inspired, he wrote the words, "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

by that time he was a professor, I don't know why he would be grading papers for his parents, since his father was a banker in South Africa.

Langly on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just read Kafka on the Shore by Murakami, followed that up with The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, and am just now starting Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey. I'll probably read a lot this summer now that I'm done with all ~4000 pages of the A Song of Ice and Fire series (phew!), but so far all I know is that I plan to pick up The Brothers Karamazov and some David Foster Wallace.

redhead on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have to say that Dune is one of my favorite books of all time and even though the sequels are less than wonderful at times, Herbert still managed to craft an incredible world that I have no problem with stealing from when I need a good idea for a sci-fi or fantasy thing I'm writing.

Anyways, speaking of fantasy, I started reading The Long Patrol. I haven't tried to read a Redwall book since I think Marlfox came out and I don't know that I've ever finished one. As I recall Jasques can be a bit dry and his character's speech tends to be on the annoying side.

Of course, now that I've read through Twain and Kipling and a bunch of other writers, I guess I'm more acclimated to reading vernacular dialogue.

Doesn't mean I'm not slightly annoyed by it, though.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Started reading John Dies at the End.

Wow. Don't know what I was expecting, but it shattered whatever my expectations were as soon as I opened the book.

freakish light on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, Chronicles of the Black Company was a real downer.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Started reading John Dies at the End.

Wow. Don't know what I was expecting, but it shattered whatever my expectations were as soon as I opened the book.

In a good way, or a bad way?

Tidway on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh, speaking of children's books about talking, warring animals, i also re-read Watership Down because I saw it lying around somewhere

weirdly, it wasn't as good as i expected! usually the books i loved as a kid i still love today, but this one never really grabbed me, even though i'm pretty sure i loved it when i was younger. i mean, it was still good and all, but... i dunno.

redhead on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I read John Dies at the End while it was still free online, before being edited. I don't know if it suffered for that or not.

Langly on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of Dune, how far into the series should I bother reading? I've read Dune and Dune Messiah, currently working my way through Children. Is finishing the series worth my time?

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You can probably stop with God Emperor if you're not feeling it

but I read through Heretics and Chapterhouse and I don't feel any worse off for doing it

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I reread Dune last year at the behest of forumers.

It was... not as awful as I remembered it being.

I can't wait for next week because I will finally have real reading time again. Also because while I'm in D.C. Bale and I are supposed to check out a couple of bitchin bookstores.

Yaaay unwise spending decisions!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I own Children of Dune, but I've failed trying to get into it multiple times. It just doesn't do it for me at all.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I liked the first Dune but I barely made it through the 2nd book and never bothered to read more after that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    See, I was hoping you'd say I could stop after the second. Just .... not feeling this stuff about his kids.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I truly love Dune, but I tried reading whatever the second book is and maaan was it boring.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    you people lack commitment

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I read all six Dune books, I probably could have stopped at God Emperor. oh well.

reading America (The Book), sooooooooo fucking funny.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dune Messiah is short. It's a pretty readable little book, but, yeah, after re-reading it last week, I realize that nothing happens in it. There's a conspiracy and a bunch of babble about prescience and Paul's kids get born, but somehow none of this is handled dramatically at all. It's short, but, yeah, it's kind of boring.

Though the return of Duncan Idaho is pretty cool.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    you people lack commitment

listen, motherfucker

I read war and peace

didn't serve 1400 pages in 1800s russia to come back here and eat a bunch of farts

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Doesn't Duncan Idaho also return in all six Dune books? For literally the next five thousand years after his death?

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arang wrote: »
    Doesn't Duncan Idaho also return in all six Dune books? For literally the next five thousand years after his death?
    yeeeeeeeeeeep

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like all of the Dune books but the latter three just get weirder and weirder until by the end of the sixth one you're just kind of like "oh c'mon."

For all that, I'll defend the first one as being a masterpiece to anybody who asks.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Arang wrote: »

as a ghola, but yes

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So apparently Redwall doesn't have a single fucking hamster in it.

Redwall is some fucked up, lame bullshit.

It's almost as bad as Treme or whatever that Napoleon/dragon book not having hussars.

Also, if a book had a hamster hussar, it would be the best book in all of the world.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PI, you're an ok dude, but nobody shits on the Redwall books unanswered.

Those books are awesome and excellent and if you don't like them you're a bad person. Or I guess you're too old; but man if you're eleven those books are the coolest.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not saying they're not good, I'm saying they're fucked up, lame bullshit. Completely different.

I mean Brian Jacques could fix all that by tossing in a hamster or two, but no, he's gotta be a busta about things.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I thought Redwall only featured animals native to Britain? (may be wrong here, it's been a while)

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What's so cool about hamsters anyway?

Grey Ghost on
This discussion has been closed.