As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

arrested develo[chat]

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu, the word you're looking for is "pandering." Scott Pilgrim panders to the nerd crowd.

At least it doesn't insult them, like shit like Big Bang Theory does.

also

fanservice </weeaboo>

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Dragonball Z is awesome.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Organichu do you try to have terrible taste in comics on purpose!

maybe the comics could try to not be terrible

The comics are excellent. Whats your complaint with them?

the fact that they're not excellent

So...I mean what is it? The fight scenes? The Video game references? The music references?

all of that

come on

she works for amazon

of course, his roommate's gay

their names

the VG allusions

summoning hipsters

it's literally written for all of you nerds, every single possible name that can be dropped is dropped

even my lazy eye rolled when i read the sludge

For whatever reason I am totally okay with this.

I'm not really offended by someone making something for me.

Winky on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe people watch Big Bang Theory. That show is painful.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Organichu, the word you're looking for is "pandering." Scott Pilgrim panders to the nerd crowd.

At least it doesn't insult them, like shit like Big Bang Theory does.

that's the word, yeah

Organichu on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhDWDChFyuY
    Seems appropos for superhero [chat].

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dragonball Z is awesome.

I will literally beat this sentiment out of you if I have to.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So...I mean what is it? The fight scenes? The Video game references? The music references?

all of that

come on

she works for amazon

their names

the VG allusions

summoning hipsters

it's literally written for all of you nerds, every single possible name that can be dropped is dropped

It bothers you he has a gay roommate? And that she's a delivery girl?

Does it bother you that Fry is a delivery boy and is best friends with a Robosexual Robot?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha better recognize
    ss-100721-whale-02.grid-8x2.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I think we should call male vegans "Vegans" and female vegans "Veganas."

Who's with me?

So all vegans will now be known as Veganas?

OH SNAP!

Sexism should be renamed to sexysm.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

all of that

come on

she works for amazon

their names

the VG allusions

summoning hipsters

I previously had no interest in Scott Pilgrim at all and had no idea what it was at all but everything you're saying is basically the best endorsement anyone can give me

I wish I could go buy the first volume like right now actually

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Some Republican congressmen have been warned to keep their distance from the female lobbyists who prowl Capitol Hill.

Male lobbyists are still fair game however because even Republican congressmen need to get laid.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Dragonball Z is awesome.

MOOOOOOOOON! *moon blows up*

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

See man, don't worry. She took a bad thing and turned it into a good thing!

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Res wrote: »

all of that

come on

she works for amazon

their names

the VG allusions

summoning hipsters

I previously had no interest in Scott Pilgrim at all and had no idea what it was at all but everything you're saying is basically the best endorsement anyone can give me

I wish I could go buy the first volume like right now actually

I will totes send you every single volume in a care package, just say the word.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It bothers you he has a gay roommate? And that she's a delivery girl?

Does it bother you that Fry is a delivery boy and is best friends with a Robosexual Robot?

oh yeah because those are the same thing

it's not about individual elements- it's about patterns

pretty much every single element of the entire thing makes me go "ha, one of my friends will smile that he did it like that"- that she delivers for an internet company, the video game stuff, that the one guy can generate hipsters, the band stuff, etc.

it's hamfisted pandering

you can like it, if you want

i'm not really as big a nerd as you guys are (and i wasn't at all as a kid so i have no nostalgia factor) so it just makes me retch

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Dragonball Z is awesome.

Run, Mori! Go!

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Scott Pilgrim has an evil vegan who uses his entire brain and has super powers because of his diet.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, Scott Pilgrim is corny and not my style at all, but I get why people would read it.

You guys have totally lost me on the dragonball Z appreciation, though. Baffled.

desc on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

See man, don't worry. She took a bad thing and turned it into a good thing!

:lol::lol::lol:

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So Organichu you just think it's fake that was crafted with the intention of being popular, like a commercial or a boy band?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    p.s. any time there is a band or a character wearing a band t-shirt in a comic book, it has always been terrible. It is the worst thing a cartoonist/comic person can do shy of self-inserts of them and their friends.

desc on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Scott Pilgrim has an evil vegan who uses his entire brain and has super powers because of his diet.

It really gets under my skin that a lot of people actually believe that "only use part of your brain" shit.

But, then again, there are a lot of things that people believe that get under my skin.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Could you guys fix your BBCode it looks ridiculous and I can't take you seriously at all.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

all of that. come on, she works for amazon of course, his roommate's gay. their names, the VG allusions, summoning hipsters. it's literally written for all of you nerds, every single possible name that can be dropped is dropped, even my lazy eye rolled when i read the sludge

It bothers you he has a gay roommate? And that she's a delivery girl? Does it bother you that Fry is a delivery boy and is best friends with a Robosexual Robot?[/QUOTE]

oh yeah because those are the same thing. it's not about individual elements- it's about patterns

pretty much every single element of the entire thing makes me go "ha, one of my friends will smile that he did it like that"- that she delivers for an internet company, the video game stuff, that the one guy can generate hipsters, the band stuff, etc.

it's hamfisted pandering. you can like it, if you want i'm not really as big a nerd as you guys are (and i wasn't at all as a kid so i have no nostalgia factor) so it just makes me retch[/QUOTE]

Fixed it for both of you.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

yes it does

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Whether someone can enjoy Dragon Ball is basically my litmus test for whether they are a real person or not

Dragon Ball Z is open to discussion, though, because it's so repetitive and there's just so much goddamn filler

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Mornin' peoples. How hangs it?

ef double

What it do?

Also are you on the Alien Swarm wagon with the rest of chat y/n?

Hells yeah buddy. Played it for a few hours yesterday - great fun but hard as nails at times! Made it about half-way with some PAers. It gets nuts once like 4 of those goddamn shield aliens are all up in ones grill.

Sweet, we need to shoot some aliens. I gave it a whirl last night with [chat]ters as a tech, so I ran around welding doors and unlocking computers. I tried one of the heavy weapons characters briefly afterwards, and man does the chaingun kill aliens left and right.

Yessss. Been rolling with the medic so far. I likes. I likes the tesla cannon a lot. I ran into issues keeping people alive around the infestation level though. Not sure if I should rock the health gun or the packs (or, ugh, BOTH).

But the tesla cannon is salvation.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mornin' peoples. How hangs it?

ef double

What it do?

Also are you on the Alien Swarm wagon with the rest of chat y/n?

Hells yeah buddy. Played it for a few hours yesterday - great fun but hard as nails at times! Made it about half-way with some PAers. It gets nuts once like 4 of those goddamn shield aliens are all up in ones grill.

Sweet, we need to shoot some aliens. I gave it a whirl last night with [chat]ters as a tech, so I ran around welding doors and unlocking computers. I tried one of the heavy weapons characters briefly afterwards, and man does the chaingun kill aliens left and right.

Yessss. Been rolling with the medic so far. I likes. I likes the tesla cannon a lot. I ran into issues keeping people alive around the infestation level though. Not sure if I should rock the health gun or the packs (or, ugh, BOTH).

But the tesla cannon is salvation.

I loved the tesla cannon on my tech guy

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So Organichu you just think it's fake that was crafted with the intention of being popular, like a commercial or a boy band?

no, i can't really assume that. my guess is the author really loves the stuff, too. he's not reading these elements out of a style guide- he's probably making the comic he'd love if someone else made it for him. it's just very tightly treehousey. it has 0 appeal for me, as someone who doesn't smile at the never ending reference.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I mean obviously Dragonball Z's enjoyment factor is mostly nostalgia. If it was released today and was paced exactly the same it would be terrible. But it's so cheesy and over the top and I love it.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    actually todd ingram (the vegan psychic) is why i started reading scott pilgrim

i saw the panel where they were all "Of COURSE he has psychic powers, Todd's vegan!" and I laughed so hard I almost fell out of a chair

Arch on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Never quite got how pro-marijuana legalization people didn't think this kind (and subsequent nigh monopoly of pot by some combination of Big Tobacco or Big Pharma that will/would follow) of thing was inevitable.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    p.s. any time there is a band or a character wearing a band t-shirt in a comic book, it has always been terrible. It is the worst thing a cartoonist/comic person can do shy of self-inserts of them and their friends.

You realize that almost anytime a person wears a bandshirt in Scott pilgrim, it's something that's also tied in somewhere else in the store.

They have him wearing a Plumtree shirt because they wrote the song that inspired the series (Scott Pilgrim).

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

no, i can't really assume that. my guess is the author really loves the stuff, too. he's not reading these elements out of a style guide- he's probably making the comic he'd love if someone else made it for him. it's just very tightly treehousey. it has 0 appeal for me, as someone who doesn't smile at the never ending reference.

It's not pandering if you're making a comic you would personally like.

That's how most things are created. People create things that they personally like and hope that others will like it too.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I understand in the same way that you might enjoy a comic that was chock-full of MMA and gun references and was about killing Palestinians but I might not.

Winky on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    i haven't read scott pilgrim. the bit of the art i've seen isn't awesome to me.

the movie looks entertaining enough; i'll prob watch it. I am guessing that frankie will like it a lot more than i will though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I still haven't tried the Tesla cannon in Alien Swarm. I have it, but never used it.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.