As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2010 Omegathon - OMEGANAUTS MAKE YOURSELVES KNOWN!

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Damnit, contrefait.

Concord ain't that big. We probably won't get another omeganaut for years, if ever. Stealing my chances ;)

(Seriously though, grats).

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Email received.

So many difficult questions to answer.

langri on
  • Options
    SurlyDuffSurlyDuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    langri wrote: »
    Email received.

So many difficult questions to answer.

Got mine too. I had no idea TGS was so soon. Also, thinking about the first game I ever played makes me realize I'm getting old.

SurlyDuff on
  • Options
    cleriseclerise Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Got my email!

clerise on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Got my e-mail, that picture's going to be a pain to take.

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    With help from a friend, I was able to get a nice headshot. Info sent!

langri on
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And of course I get a freaking zit in the middle of my forehead today.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    contrefait wrote: »

This is why I took care of the headshot today. I look at least quasi-presentable.

langri on
  • Options
    NetilNetil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Lol I had the same problem! (but I cheated and used the photo editing programs "Mole remover")

I also had to take it myself... hopefully it fits the bill because I don't know if I can do much better

Netil on
  • Options
    ChiefOmegatechChiefOmegatech Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    Got my e-mail, that picture's going to be a pain to take.

Don't give me no crappy photo! :evil:

ChiefOmegatech on
  • Options
    ChiefOmegatechChiefOmegatech Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I should make getting a good picture to me round one, if you can't do that you are out before PAX even starts. :winky:

ChiefOmegatech on
  • Options
    MegadestructoMegadestructo Indie Community Manager Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I should make getting a good picture to me round one, if you can't do that you are out before PAX even starts. :winky:

Ah crap. Well, I should be able to send you all the info this weekend. No promises my picture won't blind you...8-)

Megadestructo on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Open Photoshop
    Open photo
    Select smudge tpol
    Make blemishes magically disappear

A WINRAR IS YOU

Got my email and promptly replied! I took a couple photos at work and used the camera I had available. I don't get back in town for three more weeks so it's kinda the best I can muster atm (it's still a good picture though!)

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Email sent, I'm ready to rock. Right after I play through the 100 or so games I need to get better at before round 1.

SurlyDuff on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Whenever people question our mad video game habits we can just claim it's practicing.

(My friend described this thing to his non-gamer girlfriend as "nerd olympics." Strangely suitable)

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    People stopped questioning my gaming habits a while back. Now they just mostly shrug and shake their head.

langri on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Langri! How did I not notice before?! Go MN!!!

Netil on
  • Options
    cleriseclerise Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, everyone has sort of given up on me. My parents have been saying for years that I need a USB port in my arm or something, haha!

Finally sent in my email, I hope my picture is good enough. I need to steal a camera off of someone 8|!

clerise on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That e-mail was definitely full of hard questions... I'm pretty sure if someone were to ask me those questions once a week for a month there's a good chance I would probably have different answers every time. I get questioned a lot less about my gaming habits since I left the MMO scene(even though I still play as much as I did then), however, I've been pretty lucky as far as other nerd friends who understand my gaming/nerd habits.

Netil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Netil wrote: »
    That e-mail was definitely full of hard questions... I'm pretty sure if someone were to ask me those questions once a week for a month there's a good chance I would probably have different answers every time. I get questioned a lot less about my gaming habits since I left the MMO scene(even though I still play as much as I did then), however, I've been pretty lucky as far as other nerd friends who understand my gaming/nerd habits.

Yeah, especially the "Game I'm playing right now" question. I usually juggle a couple SP games and a few MP games, so picking one is kinda suck.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Langri! How did I not notice before?! Go MN!!!

Indeed. Fear the MN omeganauts. Or not, as you prefer. We're polite that way.

langri on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Yeah, especially the "Game I'm playing right now" question. I usually juggle a couple SP games and a few MP games, so picking one is kinda suck.

Thirded! I mean, I know what game I'm *going* to be playing. Starting tomorrow, to be specific.

langri on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Thirded! I mean, I know what game I'm *going* to be playing. Starting tomorrow, to be specific.

Haha, a SC2 round would be very interesting. ;)

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Haha, a SC2 round would be very interesting. ;)

Indeed. Which means ZOMG PRACTICE!

langri on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Indeed. Which means ZOMG PRACTICE!

I think I'm going to be sick of Starcraft 2 after the LAN party this weekend devoted to nothing BUT that. :P

To bring this somewhat on topic, anyone have any ideas of what the rounds are? Anyone up above wanna give us hints? ;)

Heleor on
  • Options
    MegadestructoMegadestructo Indie Community Manager Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    E-mail sent as well. The photo is always the hardest part.

I'm not sure I'll ever get sick of Starcraft 2. I've logged in hundreds of hours in SC1 (and, yet, I am still piss-poor at the game) and still play it.

Though some hints as to what the rounds will be would be very useful. I've been out of any kind of "competitive" gaming for ages and I'd like to start practicing again. Any chance at a Tekken 3 tournament? :)

Megadestructo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Any chance at a Tekken 3 tournament? :)

Bite your tongue!

langri on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They've never done a RTS for the Omegathon, nor have they ever done a fighting game. Why?
    Two words: Learning curve. (Me? Metagaming the Omegathon!? Naaaaaaaaaah, you're crazy.)

Granted it's also wishful thinking on my part. I haaaaaaaaaaate Starcraft so god damn much and would rather lose the Omegathon to a SC round than to actually bother playing that shitty game. No, really. I refuse to play or buy that game and have 0 interest in even touching it, even if it means giving up the chance at the grand prize.

If forced to play that game, I will make a base shaped like a giant dick out of supply depots with SCVs shooting out as mock semen. Mark my words.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They've never done a RTS for the Omegathon, nor have they ever done a fighting game. Why?
    Two words: Learning curve. (Me? Metagaming the Omegathon!? Naaaaaaaaaah, you're crazy.)

Granted it's also wishful thinking on my part. I haaaaaaaaaaate Starcraft so god damn much and would rather lose the Omegathon to a SC round than to actually bother playing that shitty game.
    No, really. I refuse to play or buy that game and have 0 interest in even touching it even if it means giving up the chance at the grand prize.

If forced to play that game, I will make a base shaped like a giant dick out of supply depots. Mark my words.

LOL that seriously just made my day /hug

Netil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Granted it's also wishful thinking on my part. I haaaaaaaaaaate Starcraft so god damn much and would rather lose the Omegathon to a SC round than to actually bother playing that shitty game. No, really. I refuse to play or buy that game and have 0 interest in even touching it, even if it means giving up the chance at the grand prize.

If forced to play that game, I will make a base shaped like a giant dick out of supply depots with SCVs shooting out as mock semen. Mark my words.

I'm not sure if you've been entirely clear about your opinion regarding starcraft...
    :mrgreen:

langri on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Well, at least you're not calling games other people like shitty.

Oh wait.

Megadestructo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh wait.

I wouldn't hold it against him... Everyone has at least 1 game that has the ability to induce complete psychotic hatred.

Netil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh wait.

I wouldn't hold it against him... Everyone has at least 1 game that has the ability to induce complete psychotic hatred.

Dear god please no Halo Reach!

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh wait.
    Don't take it personally. If you think that's bad, you should get me going on a rant about Oblivion or how Bioware needs to give up the pretense of trying to be a serious RPG company. I have a reputation for being the gamer that hates video games due to how insanely critical, vocal, and blunt I am.

Truth be told, SC1 just left a foul taste in my mouth. The waypointing had me raging in such a way that even exponential numbers would have been useless to measure it. The focus on crackhead levels of micro didn't help matters any (I grew up being an OCD Master of Orion player). I had a good enough time in SP, but the MP section just made me annoyed to no end The fact that people were honestly arguing that because SC required so many clicks per second, it was therefore the most strategic RTS out there just made my rage go into overdrive. I was honestly so put off of RTSs by that game that I almost gave up on them entirely. Maybe Starcraft 2 makes things so streamlined that the micro is bearable, however considering that South Korea would probably firebomb Blizzard if the SC formula got tweaked too much, I highly doubt that.

And yeah, no Halo: Reach pleeeeaaaaaaaase. If we're gonna be doing FPS gaming, let's do it on the PC. I hear Quake Live runs on damn near anything. :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The fact that people were honestly arguing that because SC required so many clicks per second, it was therefore the most strategic RTS out there just made my rage go into overdrive.

Yeah... you'd hate SC2 then as well. The various levels of MP competition map almost directly to ability at micro and APM.

langri on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'll just chalk it up to "TOGSolid hates video games." :P

Megadestructo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hope there's no SC2. SC1 was fun, but I'm terrrrrible at the multi. Haven't bothered w/ SC2 because of that.

Halo would be cool, just because it would be fun to play it early, even if its only a by few days. I know it'll be on the floor too, but being the first to ever play it competitively would be sweet.

Choosing the old school games to practice up on is difficult--there's so many possible games across multiple machines!

SurlyDuff on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    I doubt there will be any Starcraft as it takes way too long to play for something like the Omegathon.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    The fact that people were honestly arguing that because SC required so many clicks per second, it was therefore the most strategic RTS out there just made my rage go into overdrive.

Yeah... you'd hate SC2 then as well. The various levels of MP competition map almost directly to ability at micro and APM.

Bleh, no thanks. I like my RTS games to be more cerebral and organic feeling as opposed to being insane click fests focused entirely on memorizing build orders.

How about we have the entire Omegathon consist of one giant match of Sins of a Solar Empire? :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    SurlyDuff wrote: »
    I hope there's no SC2. SC1 was fun, but I'm terrrrrible at the multi. Haven't bothered w/ SC2 because of that.

Halo would be cool, just because it would be fun to play it early, even if its only a by few days. I know it'll be on the floor too, but being the first to ever play it competitively would be sweet.

Choosing the old school games to practice up on is difficult--there's so many possible games across multiple machines!

SC2 is better than SC1 in every way IMO (*queue smart-ass comment from SC haters*) but it would make for a bad Omegathon game.

Let's just go super old-school: Ms. Pac-Man, some kind of pinball, and jarts.

Megadestructo on
This discussion has been closed.