Options

What should you bring to PAX?

• Options
    SeatownstrikerSeatownstriker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Peregrine booth was giving away hand sanitizer last year.

Seatownstriker on
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Good call on the hand sanitizer, I hadn't thought of that. The PAX plague nearly killed me last year.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is bringing a DSLR really that bad? :(

I usually have a camera bag or two dedicated to carrying them around in various ways (mostly to and from the convention, while at conventions, I usually just sling them across my shoulders via R-strap). I was actually going to ask whether or not to bring a long or short lens...

I guess most people won't look as interesting as the average anime convention.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dracil wrote: »

I usually have a camera bag or two dedicated to carrying them around in various ways (mostly to and from the convention, while at conventions, I usually just sling them across my shoulders via R-strap). I was actually going to ask whether or not to bring a long or short lens...

I would say it's not inherently bad, as long as you have realistic expectations and you understand what you might be missing out on if you experience PAX in photographer mode.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I've lugged mine with me to three PAXs and this is what you gotta consider

Pro: You'll have some great pictures to post after the convention is over

Con: You'll have to lug around a large camera and lenses. Add to this switching out the lenses always tends to be a chore, especially in the exhibition hall as you don't wanna just stand in the middle of the aisles.

Again though, you can snap some really great photos when the moment is right.

Nope on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, I usually only bring one lens anyway so I probably won't switch out. What range do you find you normally use at PAX? I'm assuming wide-angle would be most useful unless you're trying to get a shot of a speaker or something.

Dracil on
  • Options
    NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, I usually only bring one lens anyway so I probably won't switch out. What range do you find you normally use at PAX? I'm assuming wide-angle would be most useful unless you're trying to get a shot of a speaker or something.

Standard wide-angle is usually good enough, light in all areas is surprisingly good, pretty much the only real big difficulty is the usual stuff aka people walking right in the middle of your shot but that's kinda the usual for conventions.

Nope on
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Virlomi wrote: »
    I found the perfect backpack online that I am taking on the plane. It will hold my laptop, handhelds, and all of my cords and leave plenty of room for swag. I'm pretty excited about it.

http://isisgear.com/product/trespass-pack-skate-backpack?cid=fp0810

Looks like a good deal. Let me know what you think of it when you get it. I've been getting by with a small messenger bag for about a year after a problem with bugs in my last backpack (ask me that story if you see me at PAX) and the general opinion here seems to suggest i need a two strap system.

lemongrenades on
  • Options
    LordDHMDLordDHMD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This sorta blows my mind according to the TSA : "Gel shoe inserts - Gel shoe inserts are not permitted, but shoes constructed with gel heels are allowed and must be removed and screened" My brain hurts on that one.

LordDHMD on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks like I'll be two bagging this. One bag for my clothes/laptop to go in the overhead, and a small little tote looking bag for my goodies (DS, PSP, Camera/s, Kindle, buttons, some other stuff).

And on the note of cameras, should I bother with my camcorder? It's a small little thing not unlike this one, but I just don't know how much use it will get over a point-and-shoot.

I just used me tiny Samsung HD camcorder for the first time in the field at Otakon last weekend.
    I am very glad that I brought it and that I left my little digital camera at home.

What I really like about the camcorder is that when you stop a cosplayer for a photo op, you can press record and then
    hit the photo button to grab some still shots. They always seem to give me more time than I need because I think that they
    think it takes more time for me to snap their pics with a camcorder.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LordDHMD wrote: »
    This sorta blows my mind according to the TSA : "Gel shoe inserts - Gel shoe inserts are not permitted, but shoes constructed with gel heels are allowed and must be removed and screened" My brain hurts on that one.

Flying to the states is one of the most obnoxious processes ever just due to the pointless security measures.

Remove your shoes, all things metal on you, go through a poofy air machine thing that's supposed to get bomb traces off you (some times), and if you're lucky your zipper will set off the metal detector in LAX causing them to have some 50 year old security guy feel up your nuts for a nuke.

Travelling there before the WTC terror attacks was much more pleasant.

But I learned the easiest way to get through it is, wear shoes that can be slipped off and on very easily, wear comfortable clothes with nothing metalic on them, unless you like being felt up, don't carry liquids of any sort or anything pointy in your carry-on when going through security (buy what you need in the US, it's just easier), and think of a happy place if they decide to wander through your orifices looking for smuggled citrus.

Juc on
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was told I wouldn't be able to travel by air to the US unless I carried a Dr's note and COPIES OF MY X-RAYS because I have big metal staples in my ankles. :P

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was told I wouldn't be able to travel by air to the US unless I carried a Dr's note and COPIES OF MY X-RAYS because I have big metal staples in my ankles. :P

Um it really depends on the metal they use and where it is placed and how much of it is used. Most doctor offices will give you a laminate with a pic of the xray and some doctors name and stuff. I have 5 screw in my foot all titanium and i wont set off the walk through style but the wand usually go off if it is lose enough.

Also the gel inset thing is just insane i am not sure if thats even enforced any more. I know recently they started allowing more liquids on planes. Tsa is a cluster fuck to be honest their own web site has outdated info on it even.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    IroquoisIroquois Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is a shameless self bump. Because I know it's getting closer and this thread becomes more relevant the closer it is to PAX.

Iroquois on
    3DS Friend code: 2449-5995-8538
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    For flyers, esp. photographers, I really recommend http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flyingwithfish

The guy's a professional photographer who flies around a lot for his assignments so he has tips and stuff on how to get through security easier, keep your stuff safe, good iPhone apps for travel, etc.

Dracil on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    The travel restrictions these days, though they vary from airline to airline, limit passengers to one carry-on and one "personal bag," which is usually defined as a purse, backpack/daypack/messenger bag, or laptop case.

I find that I can fit everything I need for an extended PAX stay (Wednesday to Wednesday), including electronics and accessories, an abundance of clothes, and usually a few games, into a carry-on-sized rectangular duffel and my messenger bag.

Getting home with swag and souvenirs is always a bit of a challenge, though.

I travel via airline heavily for my job.

- For the one bag - one carry one rule. Your bag can be an be something like the Cordura Travel Cases. They are about 26'' by 15'' by 10''. AS LONG AS YOU DONT OVERSTUFF THEM, they easily fit in the overhead.
    - Your carry on can then be a ''smaller'' bag (ie. a School or College Backpack). No wireframe, no hardpoints. This is a crazy amount of space to pack with overall.
    - Roll your clothing up as tightly as possible to pack it with space to spare. Im a big guy that packs 2XL clothing, and I can fit a 2 pair of blue jeans, 3 white tees, 3 boxers, and 4 pairs of cotton/wool socks into a school bag WITH a laptop and charger AND my toilettrees (toothbrush, comb, toothpaste, pain and travel meds, clippers, the works) into the BACKPACK.

In the immortal words of Wil Wheaton,

"Dont be a Dick" -

- and take a carry-on that clearly will not fit in the overhead and/or you CANNOT LIFT. You delay flights and make people around you angry. Not sure if you can lift it? Pack your bag and lift it from a standing postion to the top of your refrigerator. Hold that pose for 10 seconds. Good job, you can take it with you as is.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are they STILL doing the "remove your shoes please" on domestic flights?

I was going to wear my custom Chucks, but they are a PITA to take off and put back on.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

I was going to wear my custom Chucks, but they are a PITA to take off and put back on.

yes

nerve on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    nerve wrote: »

yes

LAME

Welp, looks like I had to best get to breaking in my new Vans then.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    NeonJulieNeonJulie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I always think about lugging one of these along for the Queue Room...
    walkstool_lg.ashx?bc=ffffff&mw=250

...but then I end up on the floor. *sigh*

Walmart has foam camping roll mat things for $5. (I use it for my workout.) After two Paxii in the Queue room, trying to figure out where to put pressure (like ankle bones, not fun really), this year I think I'm going to buy another mat and cut a 12" square and roll it up. (Last year's t-shirt swag helped but it still isn't enough.)

It's not that I mind sitting on the floor, it's just that after a while even that's not all that comfortable.

Other things I bring last year were snacks. Yes you could buy them (especially at the Tully stand where they have high quality lunch - but only before 4 pm before it closes)... but why leave your line or end up in that ridiculous Starbucks/Subway/Crepe line, if you don't have to. (I even bring Cereal/hard boiled eggs to the hotel for breakfast in the morning, and bring sealed fruit cups and granola bars in my backpack during the convention. That only leaves me having to give up my $$ for dinner or the occasional beverage. Of course having a problem with gluten doesn't give me a lot of options anyway - no bagels/breakfast sandwiches/hotdogs/pizza/subs/sandwiches etc.)

I think it's worthwhile hitting a store and getting a couple of non-perishable snacks to have in the room/in your pockets, even if you're flying in. (It really saves moolah, keeps my energy level up and saves time around the expo/panels.)

NeonJulie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    NeonJulie wrote: »
    I think it's worthwhile hitting a store and getting a couple of non-perishable snacks to have in the room/in your pockets, even if you're flying in. (It really saves moolah, keeps my energy level up and saves time around the expo/panels.)

BEEF JERKY!!!

Thanks for reminding me I need to hit the BJ's/Sam's Club/Costco before I leave to stock up. I figure I will put in as much beef jerky as I expect swag to replace it in my luggage. Worse comes to worse, I can give away bags of beef jerky on Sunday!

:D

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nerve wrote: »

yes

LAME

Welp, looks like I had to best get to breaking in my new Vans then.

I fly 6-9 times a year and I wear flip-flops to the airport. Even in December. It just makes life so much easier.

I also never wear a belt and wear a polo shirt with no logos, even if I'm flying to/from a geek convention.

Final note-- the thing that usually gets me pulled aside for extra screening is the bundle o' charger wires. I suggest rubber banding or velcro-stripping them together and putting them in an outside pocket. Otherwise, the TSA agents will remove everything in your bag to get to the wires, and then leave you standing there to repack while the line grows behind you. Batteries and devices with batteries in them (i.e., cameras) should be packed in a seperate outside pocket, far away from the bundle o' wires.

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What I've done with wires and chargers, which I recommend: get a bunch of cheap zip-top bags, one for each charger (or grouped together by device or by function.) Neatly wrap each one, stuff into the bottom of the zip-top bag, and then suck out as much air as you can. The vacuum keeps each cable bundle flat and compressed (with a sort of "mushy" quality that conforms to pressure but tries to retain its shape), and the slippery plastic makes it much easier to insert and remove bags.

I've been bringing my Xbox 360, accessories, and games to PAX the past few times, and each time I got positive feedback from the TSA screeners. They had to pull my bag aside for screening every single time, for obvious reasons, but the zip-top bags made the process much faster, and I found repacking to be pretty easy.

Edit: Bringing my own console as a console freeplay loan for attendees to use, not to play in my hotel room or something. I don't want to give people the wrong idea -- attendees generally have no reason to bring your own console to PAX.

Edit2: I haven't had any problems with batteries mixed in with cables, probably because everything gets its own bag. I also bring a high-end radio to PAX (though it's only ever been useful in 07) and I pack the radio with its antenna removed and a battery pack installed by itself in one bag, with a spare lithium battery pack by itself in another bag. I haven't had any comments about the 360 play-and-charge-kit batteries, nor any lithium battery packs, probably because every battery is either in a device or in a bag by itself.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    FYI, I updated the initial post list to coincide with what many people have brought up in this thread. But more ideas are always out there.

Iroquois on
  • Options
    B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    they just became available friday. i'm gonna be rocking one of these badboys at pax.
    protonpackghostbustersb.jpg

you can get them here.
    http://www.80stees.com/products/Proton-Pack-Backpack.asp

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
  • Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What a gem of a thread. Thank you for this! :D

EscoBlades on
    tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    FyctionFyction Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I agree with the hand-sanitizer tip. I'd also add that a brand-spankin' new pair of shoes makes PAX delightful.

Fyction on
  • Options
    macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fyction wrote: »
    I agree with the hand-sanitizer tip. I'd also add that a brand-spankin' new pair of shoes makes PAX delightful.

Make that 4-6 week old shoes. You want to break in any new shoes before you do something like PAX, otherwise your feet could be in for a world of hurt.

macbitt on
  • Options
    SeaSkyShoreSeaSkyShore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After the sheer amount of Swag tshirts I ended up with last year, I think I might come naked and dress myself in swag.

I have had the same thought myself. When my husband and I got cold during one of the concerts last year I actually covered myself with the eleventy-billion tees that were thrown at me earlier in the day.

SeaSkyShore on
    Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. - John Lennon
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After the sheer amount of Swag tshirts I ended up with last year, I think I might come naked and dress myself in swag.

I have had the same thought myself. When my husband and I got cold during one of the concerts last year I actually covered myself with the eleventy-billion tees that were thrown at me earlier in the day.

This reminds me, how cool is it in these rooms where panels and things are. I imagine all the bodies create a lot of heat, but I wonder if some rooms are smaller and emptier and I need to have a hoody ready. Keep in mind, I am all skin and bone and have zero body fat to keep me warm.

lemongrenades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

This reminds me, how cool is it in these rooms where panels and things are. I imagine all the bodies create a lot of heat, but I wonder if some rooms are smaller and emptier and I need to have a hoody ready. Keep in mind, I am all skin and bone and have zero body fat to keep me warm.

The concerts are big so you can expect quite a lot of people there. If you're closer down on the floor, you're likely to be warmer as more will be going on down there.

However, panels are a different case. They won't be too warm. They range in size. I went to a "Breaking into the Industry" panel last year with only about 30-40 people in the conference room. So you only need to really concern yourself with the concerts.

Iroquois on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    EscoBlades wrote: »
    What a gem of a thread. Thank you for this! :D

You are very welcome. I know a thread like this helped me last year.

Iroquois on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Another shameless self bump in a last ditch effort to allow more pondering people to properly prepare for PAX.

Also I updated the list.

Iroquois on
  • Options
    CrendelCrendel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I always think about lugging one of these along for the Queue Room...
    walkstool_lg.ashx?bc=ffffff&mw=250

...but then I end up on the floor. *sigh*

Well after last year's wait in the queue room and this old man's ankles barking at him after sitting on the floor, I picked up one of these. I really like it! I went to amazon.com and got it because if you buy it and apply for their Visa and use it for your first purchase, you get $30 off so this made it more price appealing. Plus, it had free shipping!

I also picked up a pair of Merrell "Intercept" shoes as I wanted a higher end walking shoe. I have to say, they rival my New Balances that I had for PAX last year.

Crendel on
    Geek Hybrid - I like video games and being outside!
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Crendel wrote: »
    I also picked up a pair of Merrell [fix'd] "Intercept" shoes as I wanted a higher end walking shoe.

Merrells are fantastically comfortable. For you girls, they have some very nice styles. I wear mine almost every day (for over a year) and they're still like new.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    TeknoMonkeyTeknoMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wanted to recommend a couple of things that you could bring that have helped me out in the past.

1. Around the neck Military ID Badge Holder - If you don't want to carry around your wallet or don't have pockets on your outfit (which is true on some cosplay costumes), this could be helpful in carrying your hotel key, your Gov't ID, and some cash. Then tie off your con badge to it and you've got some of the essentials that you need when traveling across the con around your neck. You can find them in military surplus stores.

2. Medical Kit - Something like the 108 piece first aid kits you find in Wal Mart. Definitely helpful for any accidents around the hotel room.

3. Sponges - Helps reduce the use of towels to clean up messes around the bathroom sink.

4. Chewable Vitamin C and Multi-Vitamin supplements - Have to boost the immune system during the 3 days of fun.

5. Extra Batteries and the chargers for them - Especially true for cameras, smartphones, etc.

6. Business Cards - Good for if you want to keep in contact with folks you meet. After the con, they'll be able to contact you later so that you can catch up with them. You can find a couple of shops online that generate 500 or so online.

7. Pens - Sure you might get some freebie pens, but always have a good one on your person at all times, because you never know when you might need a pen (sign papers, get autographs, for defense, etc.).

9. 1 Quart Ziploc Bags / Larger Ziploc Bags - Good for the Airports and also good for storing stuff that may leak (Shampoo, Eye drops, etc.) in your luggage.

10. A paper copy of your IDs and Credit Cards/Debit Cards - In case you lose your wallet, you can easily cancel said cards in no time with this piece of paper. Keep it somewhere safe in baggage or in the safe.

11. A card with at least a few important numbers of friends and family and also a calling card number and pin number. This is definitely helpful in a lot of situations. Just find a payphone, or other type of phone, and get assistance fast.

Hope this helps you in preparing for PAX. Take care everyone and see you over there.

TeknoMonkey on
  • Options
    61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I stopped carrying toiletries on flights well before the TSA regs were in place. To many precautions necessary to insure they don't spill and ruin things. I just buy travel sizes when I arrive and use 'em up.

61Ranchero on
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to put a lot of advice into a very succinct message:

"Treat PAX like a critical mission."

To be more specific:
    • Prepare a mission dossier, with your itinerary and travel documents, your landing zone map, your primary objectives (concerts, panels), fall back plans, rules you might need for specialized games like Assassins, and YOUR FRIGGIN' BADGE. Zip it up in a waterproof bag and keep the documents on your person.
    • You want to pack everything you can reasonably hold in an easily secured way. Backpacks and messenger bags are good, but don't pack more than you can move around with (that means go easy on the D&D rulebooks). As a rule of thumb, don't pack more than you would be comfortable playing paintball or laser tag in. Avoid dangling objects, like a PSP clipped to your belt loop for example. Also be cognizant of counter-operatives who might try to pickpocket you.
    • Keep extra ammo for your "weapons" at your base camp: bring your chargers for any and every device you carry. Maybe even a backup camera battery.
    • Choose appropriate attire for your mission. That means, assess the environment (temperature, moisture) and the level of activity (sitting in a chair in BYOC, darting from panel to panel) for your mission.
    • Keep the K9 units off you: Practice good battlefield hygiene. Pack the necessary toiletries. Then, use them, dammit.
    • Don't forget the surveillance and intelligence package: camera, laptop, digital reader, comm device. If you haven't checked in with the intelligence bureau, get them to set your comm device up: set your phone to unlimited data and text, and sign up with Twitter to get updates. (Don't forget to cancel these services when you debrief, if you don't normally have them)

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    a little less worry. As noted, our fair city is not the Gobi Desert. The fine folks at Bartell's Drugs have been dispensing OTC nostrums and potions in the region for 120 years. And there are at least three within a quick foot jaunt of PAX. ANd if you have a backup doctor scrip, they can fill that too. Heck, call ahead if you like. They are nice folks. Usually.

As for the TSA clowns...well now the rest of you know what it was like for me long before the new centuries Security Theater and Deckchair Shuffling Society took over. I must look like A Man With A Plan or spomething - but really, all I ever wanted to do was to travel to where I wanted to get to

Zerhackerman on
  • Options
    aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just found a great item for PAX. It's an inflatable seat cushion. (No, not a hemorrhoid donut.) It packs away tiny and easy to fit into a backpack but it's quite comfortable. This will save your backside when waiting in the queue room on the hard concrete floors. In a pinch you could even use it as a pillow to catch a power nap.

$20 over at REI. They have their flagship store in Seattle if you don't have any near you.

aragorn18 on
This discussion has been closed.