As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What should you bring to PAX?

IroquoisIroquois Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
There are several threads that touch on this subject, but I think several people would appreciate a straight up what-to-pack thread. I know I did my first year. So let's talk about what to put in a suitcase, and what to bring to the show itself.

:arrow:What to pack in your suitcase?

1. Clothes. 3-4 days worth. CLEAN clothes please. You're going to be in a large convention center with tens of thousands of people. You will want clean clothes. Not that everything is messy. It's clean. You'll just find that people will be more open to you when you are clean-looking. Also, you will be much more comfortable in cleaner clothes, allowing you to enjoy the show more. Also, make them comfortable since if you're anything like me you will do a lot of sitting, standing, walking, fast-walking, and running-but-trying-to-look-like-you're-walking. That and uncomfortable clothes will make you sore and if you are prone to chaffing, you will chafe. be comfortable. The convention center isn't necessarily too warm. It's pretty well air conditioned. But Seattle can be cold. So be able to make adjustments. Like a hoodie or something. Just remember you'll have to carry it around inside if you take it off. It's likely it might be anywhere between 70-80 in Seattle. 50 at the worst. Good chances of rain. But you'll likely be inside much of the day. And rain is awesome.

I'm making this a slightly separate part from the clothes because this part deserves equal attention. SHOES. Wear. Comfortable. Shoes. As people have suggested, gel inserts are very good. Arch support is good. Full footed shoes are good. No flip flops or big clunky steel-toes. Shoes. Chuck Taylors are nice but they aren't ideal for everyone, especially people with wide feet. Running shoes. Sneakers. Slip-ons. What have you.

2. Toiletries.
The usual. Toothbrush. Toothpaste. Shampoo. Any of your creams or what-have-yous. pack like you will live for 3 days. You will want to be refreshed. Deodorant too. PLEASE bring deodorant. 70,000 people can be a bit smelly if they don't use deodorant. Let's keep that down. Shower every morning too. Maybe at nights as well but chances are you'll be off having fun at night. So mornings suffice. Also, DISINFECTANT! There was a bit of a swine flu breakout last year but even though much of that has blown over, you will be in contact with thousands of people. Stay clean. Also, perhaps think about bringing powder if you chafe easily. Because if you chafe easily, you will chafe. Several people have mentioned that deodorant works equally as well.

3. Money
3 days of PAX can cost you any amount. Keep in mind games/cards/collectibles can be expensive hobbies so plan appropriately. But food comes first. Hopefully you have your hotel planned already so that shouldn't be a huge problem. But food is always the most important. Feed yourself at the appropriate times. plan on spending around $12 a meal on average if you plan on enjoying some of the nicer places. It's always better to have too much than not enough. You can eat cheaper if you hit fast food places. With 3 days, 3 meals a day at average $12 a meal, that come to $108. Like I said, you can end up eating for less. I just recommend about $100 if you plan on having slightly nicer meals. Or a Starbucks coffee now and then. As far as souvenirs go, there is so much cool stuff. There was this awesome booth that had butt-tons of old awesome gaming stuff across from the Harmonix stage last year. Man, I could have spent all 3 days there.

Now for the show itself.

:arrow:What to bring to the show?

1. Backpack/messenger bag/satchel/tote bag
You will NEED a bag. a big-ish one. Girls, a purse is too small to hold your swag. Guys, you are not too manly for a messenger bag. You will get swag. A LOT of cool swag. There are several opportunities to get swag bags from booths but bring your own. A place to hold fliers, t-shirts, posters, and on rare occasion a game, not to mention any souvenirs you buy. A backpack is preferrable in the long run since it will equally distribute weight as opposed to a messenger bag over one shoulder. It also has more room. A messenger bag is more accessible though but it's not like you need to grab anything immediately. Your shoulders will also get very tired. So, again, backpack is recommended. Empty it at your room every night because chances are you will grab/buy more stuff the next day.

2. DS/PSP/Decks/Miniatures/Dice/Books/anything else
It's a gaming convention. You will use these things. DS is quite a bit more popular than PSP but they're all good. Mario Kart, Pokemon, Mario Bros, anything really. People will play it. From the looks of another thread, Dragon Quest IX is looking to be a popular one too. Might have to jump on that myself. They have Sumo Bags sitting in the hallways for people to sit on and play. Or play anywhere really. Just not the main show floor. That's a bad place. Also if you play Magic the Gathering or pretty much any other card game, bring a deck or two. Even if you suck. I suck and I'm still bringing mine. People will help you learn to play and you will have fun regardless. There are several vendors that sell the cards as well like Wizards of the Coast themselves and other smaller but still awesome retailers. There are also rooms dedicated to miniatures and tabletop games. These are huge parts of PAX. If you've never played, I recommend begging someone to teach you the basics to Dungeons & Dragons. It's fun.

3. Camera
Seriously? Why not. Keep it in a easy to access pocket for quick photo ops. There might be cool things set up there, but unless you're press, you won't want your camera out all the time. Small cameras are the best. This isn't the BEST place to be doing extremely high-quality shots, but it is possible and I respect people that intend to. The cameras are more for people like famous people and cosplayers. Jerry Haulkins and Mike Krahulik will be there of course but they will likely be quite busy. Adam and Morgan from Xplay will likely be there. Wil Wheaton. Maybe Felicia Day. I saw Tim Schafer last year. But keep in mind that corowding them and harrassing them for face time is annoying. Be respectful. Be polite. Understand that they're here for the show too. Not just to be fan service. And they have things they need to do. Cosplayers are everywhere with extremely awesome costumes. They had a full Red Team from TF2 last year. They looked EXACTLY like the characters. If any of them read this, I love you guys and I hope you're there again this year.

4. Wallet
For money. Duh. Keep it safe though. Losing it in a place like PAX will make it impossible to find again.

5. Snacks.
They are something to consider if you're someone who needs a little something to keep you going. There are a few restaurants and shops in the lower part of the convention center like a Taco Del Mar, but since when was planning ahead a bad thing? It would be cheaper to bring your own snacks too. Just make sure it's eaten in the appropriate places at appropriate times.

WATER
Have a bottle. There are fountains there, but having a bottle is more convenient. Keeping yourself hydrated will make you more comfortable, healthier, and happier. Your body will thank you.

5. Friends
Because PAX is more fun with friends! Unless you have no friends.... Then I weep for you. But not too much. Because you'll make friends at PAX if you like to talk about gaming.

If you guys think there is anything I forgot, or want to add any comments. Please do so. Questions are good too. You can only benefit from them.

3DS Friend code: 2449-5995-8538
Iroquois on

• Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Everything looks pretty good.

This isn't really a complaint but an observation: if this is your first PAX, keep in mind you may not want to take that many pictures. All that unreleased game stuff in the expo hall is great to share if you're media, but for the rest of us those pictures are not going to age well.

In the same sense that a game of D&D isn't about the hit points and saving throws so much as it's about the stories you collaboratively weave with your friends . . . PAX isn't about the expo hall and panels and free play rooms so much as it's about the experience of connecting with your fellow gamers in this environment rich with the stuff of our culture.

So, you may find you don't actually want to use your camera that much. If this is your first PAX and you're not media, definitely leave the DSLR at home. Be sure your camera can be easily stowed and forgotten about, without getting lost.

Nothing you said was wrong, and you didn't really lead anyone to think a camera was a must-have. I'm just softening your advice a bit.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bring my camera every year! I have to show the people who don't go to PAX what its all about!

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cameras are really great for wandering the halls. Cosplayers are great photo ops, and if you run into a celebrity you like you may want a picture to remember it by. Just don't take the expensive ones - a point and shoot that fits into your pocket is usually ideal.

Heleor on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah. We have this discussion every year; DSLRs are great if you're a professional photographer getting paid to take pictures, but for the average PAXer, they're usually more cumbersome than they're worth. Unless taking pictures of PAX is why you're going to PAX, stick with a point and shoot.

My suggestions:

1) Spare socks. If you're busy walking around all day and you find that your feet are starting to get tender, or like you're about to start getting blisters, or just that your feet are tired, changing socks can do wonders. Socks tend to get sweaty and gross throughout a full day of walking. Taking a seat, taking off your shoes, letting your feet dry a bit, and changing into a fresh pair of socks makes you feel like you haven't walked very much at all. I stuff a change of socks into my messenger bag when I leave my hotel in the morning, and I always change into them. Don't wipe your gross sweaty feet on a sumo or anything, obviously.

On that note, fuck cotton socks. Seriously. Get yourself some better socks. I recommend runners/walkers socks, or wool socks. Both types are moisture wicking and will keep your feet much more fresh, dry, and healthy than cotton.

2) Related to #1: comfortable shoes. Don't make the mistake of buying a brand new pair of shoes the day before PAX. Shoes need to be broken in to really be comfortable and safe on your feet. Ask anyone who's gone hiking in a new pair of shoes: it's a bad idea. Wear tennis shoes, walking shoes, cross-trainers, or whatever, but make sure they're comfortable. Sandals, flip-flops, heels, etc. are not advised. You're going to be standing for 12+ hours all 3 days.

3) Refillable water bottle. Being hydrated does a lot of things for your body: it prevents headaches, keeps your appetite at a normal level, helps your immune system, boosts the effects of caffeine and energy drinks, fights hangovers, etc. Water is awesome. There are drinking fountains scattered throughout the convention center. Refill and drink throughout the day and you'll be much happier.

4) Ear plugs. I've got some horror stories about roomates in PAX hotels who snore like freight trains. Do yourself a favor and bring some ear plugs for sleeping in, and also maybe for the concerts. This will also allow you to sleep peacefully if your roomies want to stay up and game while you want to catch some Zzzs. Wearing ear plugs at concerts is what all the hip kids do. It means you'll still be able to hear when you walk out of the concert hall, and also when you're 70.

5) Chargers. Chargers for your phone, chargers for your iPod, chargers for your DS, chargers for your laptop. Chargers, chargers, chargers. Might even want to bring a power strip for your hotel room.

6) If you've got airplane/train/bus whatever tickets that can be printed at home, print them out and keep them on your person. Even if they're just folded up in your pocket, they can save you a lot of time and get you out of jams. If you don't have actual printable tickets, print your confirmation e-mails. Same for hotel reservations. Have that stuff with you.

7) ID. You need that for hotel/airplane and just about everything else. You'd be surprised how many people forget their ID.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    diplomat_ashdiplomat_ash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hand Sanitizer. Everything else is optional.

diplomat_ash on
  • Options
    SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Incorrect. Clean clothes, deodorant, and supplies to take a shower on a daily basis are mandatory.

Sageheart on
    Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • Options
    langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd recommend some form of painkiller.

You may get a headache.
    You may get sore from sitting.
    You may get sore from standing.
    You may get sore from walking.
    etc.

These things can mess up your PAX enjoyment. Don't let this happen to you!

langri on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    langri wrote: »

You may get a headache.
    etc.

This is true. however, PAX is not held in the middle of the Sahara Desert, nor Antarctica. There are a variety of local drugstores that are more than happy to take a few paltry dollars in exchange for an over-the-counter pain remedy. Unless you have specific medical needs, and particularly if you are flying, you should consider just buying a bottle of anti-inflammatory tablets in Seattle and tossing the leftovers in the bin when you depart.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This may or may not be off topic, it is in reference to what the OP said about leaving stuff at your hotel.

I am staying at the tortoise hostel place. Does anyone know how the rooms are laid out or what kind of security there is? Being a hostel i expect it to be a little lax. :) Can I/Should I leave my stuff there?

If this is too off topic please PM me a response and delete this post. Thanks! :D

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • Options
    GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sageheart wrote: »

Incorrect. Clean clothes, deodorant, and supplies to take a shower on a daily basis are mandatory.

here here!

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pack as light as you can. The less room you take up in your luggage for clothes, the more room you'll have for fun stuff. I'm a rabid "onebagger," and there are a lot of tips here: http://www.onebag.com/ A lot of good advice there about comfortable clothes as well.

On the subject of charging stuff, I got one of these for PAX this year: http://www.callpod.com/products/chargepod

Between my husband and myself we have two iPhones, two DSs, a digital camera, a Kindle and an iPad. I want to be able to charge ALL that stuff overnight. It's not here yet, but it looks like it might even be small enough to carry in my con bag for "emergency" charging.

Other stuff to bring:
    Sharpie/something to get signed -- There will be a lot of famous people there. Last year I got my badge signed by a pile of people, and I should have been carrying my own sharpie. I missed an autograph or two because we couldn't find a pen!

Line games. Small, portable, simple games that can be busted out and played quickly with your neighbors in line. It looks like this year Zombie Dice might be an excellent contender.

Comfortable shoes -- Can NOT stress this enough. If you think your shoes are comfortable, take them for a "test con." Walk around your neighborhood mall for at least two hours in them. Still comfortable?

Laid-back attitude -- PAX attendees are some of the most civilized "crowds" you'll ever see. I think this stems from a lack of "ME ME ME," and a genuine interest that everyone around you is having fun. The sooner you realize you just CAN'T see it all, the more relaxed you'll be.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I usually follow the rule of adding two days to my trip to make sure i have stuff. So the trip is 4 days long pack for 6 days. Other than that never trust air lines with important things like meds chargers and the like.

At pax meh backpacks can be helpful just expect to carry every ones crap if you have friends. Swag can be dropped off at hotel rooms easy enough and its nice to get out of the expo once in a while.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    diplomat_ashdiplomat_ash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sageheart wrote: »

Haha...you are, of course, correct. I would like to think most people bring that by default but some do opt for a more "natural" approach.

diplomat_ash on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    On the onebag note; when I went to the BioShock 2 launch in San Fransisco I brought one bag, all it had in it was a change of clothes, deodorant, toothbrush, hairbrush, and reading material. It all fit into one small mesh bag and I couldn't have been happier. A light packer is a happy packer. :)

GalFriday on
  • Options
    TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    After the sheer amount of Swag tshirts I ended up with last year, I think I might come naked and dress myself in swag.

Teknotronic on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Qs23 has been known to wear old ratty shirts on the CCST and throw them away each day, expecting to use PAX swag shirts for the trip home (and saving room for them).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    GalFriday wrote: »
    On the onebag note; when I went to the BioShock 2 launch in San Fransisco I brought one bag, all it had in it was a change of clothes, deodorant, toothbrush, hairbrush, and reading material. It all fit into one small mesh bag and I couldn't have been happier. A light packer is a happy packer. :)

Traveling with one bag is amazing. I typically take just a backpack with me on flights and just jauntily ignore the baggage claim - the one time I had claimed items recently felt like so much wasted time!

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Stupid wrote: »

You may get a headache.
    etc.

This is true. however, PAX is not held in the middle of the Sahara Desert, nor Antarctica. There are a variety of local drugstores that are more than happy to take a few paltry dollars in exchange for an over-the-counter pain remedy. Unless you have specific medical needs, and particularly if you are flying, you should consider just buying a bottle of anti-inflammatory tablets in Seattle and tossing the leftovers in the bin when you depart.

True. I guess I just rather have what I need on me. Don't wanna leave PAX if I don't have to! ;)

langri on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Traveling with one bag is amazing. I typically take just a backpack with me on flights and just jauntily ignore the baggage claim - the one time I had claimed items recently felt like so much wasted time!

One of these days I will figure out how to do this. I try to pack light and just.... fail.

langri on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    True. I guess I just rather have what I need on me. Don't wanna leave PAX if I don't have to! ;)

Since we now encompass 4 buildings, I think you can have a point for calling all of downtown part of PAX. ;)

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Since we now encompass 4 buildings, I think you can have a point for calling all of downtown part of PAX. ;)

Details details! :P

langri on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The travel restrictions these days, though they vary from airline to airline, limit passengers to one carry-on and one "personal bag," which is usually defined as a purse, backpack/daypack/messenger bag, or laptop case.

I find that I can fit everything I need for an extended PAX stay (Wednesday to Wednesday), including electronics and accessories, an abundance of clothes, and usually a few games, into a carry-on-sized rectangular duffel and my messenger bag.

Getting home with swag and souvenirs is always a bit of a challenge, though.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This may or may not be off topic, it is in reference to what the OP said about leaving stuff at your hotel.

I am staying at the tortoise hostel place. Does anyone know how the rooms are laid out or what kind of security there is? Being a hostel i expect it to be a little lax. :) Can I/Should I leave my stuff there?

If this is too off topic please PM me a response and delete this post. Thanks! :D

The green tortoise has little to no "security" but there are little lockers under the beds you can store things in. I would recommend bringing your own padlock and not having anything too valuable in there unless you are in a room entirely of friends.

But for basic clothes and stuff I'd feel fine leaving them locked in there.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the OneBag link. I was theorizing whether I could pack light (I have pretty much four flights to take on my vacation). Now just need to go find the right bag.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I too am staying at the green tortoise, but I don't have anything valuable I won't be carrying on me. I am as well a one-bagger (really two, as Arco said) but think I'll be checking one on the return due to swag. My worry is that on the flight there security will designate my 100 buttoneering buttons as WMD and force me to check my bag. Hopefully not.
    I'm glad hand sanitizer was mentioned; I would've forgotten it.

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm so happy to see more one baggers here. I got a little worried when I read posts in the Light Rail thread mentioning 2-3 bags. One bagging does make travel less stressful and more enjoyable, but it can take time and patience to get it right so don't despair if you don't quite make it, especially on your first try. The effort and dedication matter more than the results initially.

I also wanted to give a big second to death to cotton sock. If you can't find a good alternative at your usual stores try a sports store that offers hiking boots. Ask them about socks and they'll get you something far superior. They cost quite a bit more per pair than the big bag at Wal-Mart, but you don't need to swap out your entire sock drawer, just enough to get you through an active weekend. REI gives a discount if you buy 3 pair or more.

I'm new to PAX myself (the above is from years of other travel and cons) so I would love to see this thread evolve into a good, fairly comprehensive guide of what to pack for PAX. An appendix of what not to pack would probably be useful, too.

macbitt on
  • Options
    Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always think about lugging one of these along for the Queue Room...
    walkstool_lg.ashx?bc=ffffff&mw=250

...but then I end up on the floor. *sigh*

Masquerade78 on
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice chair. Who makes it? I Might grab one!

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am as well a one-bagger (really two, as Arco said)

What I did for Boston was fill up one large backpack with all my things and then stuff an empty, normal-sized backpack into it so that I can use the small one during the day or for things I may buy on the trip. I'm doing the same when I go to Florida this weekend.

nerve on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I too am staying at the green tortoise, but I don't have anything valuable I won't be carrying on me. I am as well a one-bagger (really two, as Arco said) but think I'll be checking one on the return due to swag. My worry is that on the flight there security will designate my 100 buttoneering buttons as WMD and force me to check my bag. Hopefully not.
    I'm glad hand sanitizer was mentioned; I would've forgotten it.

Oh are you? I will see you there then! Will you be at the Sunday dinner?

Back on topic; I am also worried about the buttons issue. I am already checking a bag though for my costume... I do wonder if they would trip security.

Legitimate question
    Can I bring something to be signed? I wanted to have the BioShock lithograph signed by Mr. Holkins and Mr. Krahulik if I could but am not sure of the protocol since I am a newbie...

GalFriday on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes you can absolutely get things signed. There will be signings.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    nerve wrote: »
    I am as well a one-bagger (really two, as Arco said)

What I did for Boston was fill up one large backpack with all my things and then stuff an empty, normal-sized backpack into it so that I can use the small one during the day or for things I may buy on the trip. I'm doing the same when I go to Florida this weekend.

Yeah I was thinking of doing just that. The trick is to get everything into that one bag and still have room for the empty bag. This is a trick because I usually have overflow which goes into a bag under my seat. And I need room for my !Gryffindor robe, assuming I decide I'm not too damn old to go drinking with the youngsters.

@GalFriday I decided to end the weekend with the post-PAX party at the Taphouse. Probably a silly idea because of the free dinner at the Green Tortoise and it was a little pricey, but there are only 3 tickets left so others had the same idea. I will be going back to freshen up so maybe I'll eat as well, since it's free. I hate turning down free stuff lol. Either way I'll definitely see you there!

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Painkillers have been mentioned, but it bears repeating: you're probably going to be sore at some point. For myself at least, between being on your feet all day, carting around heavy bags of stuff while you walk, and standing/sitting on concrete floors a whole bunch I've run into brief spots of back pain every year I've gone and it can suck. If the bag you're taking into the convention is the over-the-shoulder kind as opposed to a backpack it will contribute to the problem.

Last year I wised up and picked up some painkillers for muscle pain that fixed more or less the entire problem, so if you can find a small bottle beforehand or in Seattle it may be worth getting.

Meiteron on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A suggestion for backpacks during the event. Skip the messenger bag. You are going to want something with two (padded) straps to distribute the weight load across both shoulders for the entire day.

I learned that lesson after carrying a messenger bag last year all 3 days. Never again.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »

They are nice, and rated to support up to 440 US lbs. The legs are extendable/collapsable so you can make it into a nice stable and comfortable tripod stool, or collapse it down to a monopod swivel stool (great for photography). The whole thing is very sturdy and not "cheap" feeling at all. I believe the 440 lb rating!

The catch is, of course, the price. The lowest price I've seen is $75, plus shipping.

http://www.adorama.com/LTWS18.html
    http://www.walkstool.com/uk/product/indexframe.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478360-REG/Walkstool_WA18_Comfort_45_Large_Folding.html

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    #PAXonebag
    ...Now just need to go find the right bag.

I've used this on my last few trips, and it's just about perfect:
    http://www.redoxx.com/Airline-Carry-On-Luggage/Sky-Train/91019/100/Product

This is a "lifetime" bag, hence the price. It's is extremely sturdy, well made, and able to take a beating. I love all the colors it comes in... So if you ever do have to check it, it stands out!

As for all the swag, last year I mailed stuff home. There's a FedEx station inside the convention center, and the line wasn't ridiculous (although the dude manning the station was sloooow)

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    akjak wrote: »
    #PAXonebag
    ...Now just need to go find the right bag.

I've used this on my last few trips, and it's just about perfect:
    http://www.redoxx.com/Airline-Carry-On-Luggage/Sky-Train/91019/100/Product

This is a "lifetime" bag, hence the price. It's is extremely sturdy, well made, and able to take a beating. I love all the colors it comes in... So if you ever do have to check it, it stands out!

As for all the swag, last year I mailed stuff home. There's a FedEx station inside the convention center, and the line wasn't ridiculous (although the dude manning the station was sloooow)

Hmm, yes, that can always be done. Paying to mail might be cheaper if you have to pay to check your bag.

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010

They are nice, and rated to support up to 440 US lbs. The legs are extendable/collapsable so you can make it into a nice stable and comfortable tripod stool, or collapse it down to a monopod swivel stool (great for photography). The whole thing is very sturdy and not "cheap" feeling at all. I believe the 440 lb rating!

The catch is, of course, the price. The lowest price I've seen is $75, plus shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478360-REG/Walkstool_WA18_Comfort_45_Large_Folding.html

Thanks for the links :) I'm going to be buying one. I've put on some lbs in the last few years and it didn't really affect me too much (other than self esteem) until I went to Pax East this last year. Getting up and down, and spending lots of time on the floor, was pretty rough by the end of the 3rd day. $75-100 is well worth it if it holds up to some abuse.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Wi11iamWi11iam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was thinking about buying and bringing one of these this year:
    41depty%2BktL._SS400_.jpg

I like the stool, but for instance in the sitting lines it takes you off the same "level" as everyone else. Would be great for standing lines though.

I'm not getting heavier but things are getting older, I rather like lines at PAX but the concrete is not my friend.

Wi11iam on
  • Options
    CrendelCrendel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

There is another available that your second link references. It's the Walkstool Basic. It's $34.95 at BareGreen.

*edit, found it cheaper at baregreen...

Crendel on
    Geek Hybrid - I like video games and being outside!
This discussion has been closed.