As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another server down somewhere?

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
Elkamil says that he can't get to any part of PA, from multiple browsers. It keeps giving him a timeout error.

Thanatos on

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Probably because he's black olol.

Seriously though, is P-A hosted at multiple IPs?

Yar on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, yes we own multiple ip addresses, but there is only one server cluster and you are using it.

It looks like Global Crossing is having some issues, I wonder if his ISP is peered with them...

http://internethealthreport.com/

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, yes we own multiple ip addresses, but there is only one server cluster and you are using it.

It looks like Global Crossing is having some issues, I wonder if his ISP is peered with them...

Yeah, I wasn't referring to our servers, just one of the servers Elks' tubes have to travel through.

I only know enough about the internet to ban people.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

Yeah, I wasn't referring to our servers, just one of the servers Elks' tubes have to travel through.

I only know enough about the internet to ban people.
    You and me both.

That said, I am working on getting us paired with another tier-1 provider in our colo to see if we can't prevent things like this.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If its of any help, I'm based out of DeKalb, IL using Comcast and also get timed out whenever trying to access the site. Oddly enough, I can still access it on a friend's computer who uses the same provider and lives only 4 blocks from me.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited May 2007
    um, you seem to be suffering a bit of split-personality syndrome.

EDIT: I guess I should have quoted him so he couldn't go back and edit to make me look like the crazy one.

Ramius on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Very funny, Ramius.

I should mention that I have gotten a higher-than-normal number of timeouts, from both my home and work computers.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Keep me posted. If more people have this problem, I'll look into it more.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Global Crossing was the one that shit itself last time, wasn't it?

edit: looking at my point confirms 'no'

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ramius wrote: »
    um, you seem to be suffering a bit of split-personality syndrome.

Yeah, before I edited I thought I was posting under my friend's name - not realizing I had logged onto my own. It should make more sense now.

Anyway, as of now I can now access PA back at my home address. Not sure what happened during the day.

EDIT: Now the aforementioned friend can't access PA - well this just seems to be all over the place.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Was it just PA or was it happening to a lot of sites? I know comcast does a lot of filtering if you exceed an upload limit

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    It's working again.

Last time it did this, Global Crossing was shitting itself. That's probably it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited May 2007
    I've noticed the forums seem to be doing that "go down for 40 seconds" thing more lately. Could this be related?

I've noticed this too, tonight. Is that load-balancer doing its thing more frequently, or is this something different causing these repeated brief outages?

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ramius wrote: »
    I've noticed the forums seem to be doing that "go down for 40 seconds" thing more lately. Could this be related?

I've noticed this too, tonight. Is that load-balancer doing its thing more frequently, or is this something different causing these repeated brief outages?
    The 40 second thing is the load balancer getting anxious. We are pushing more traffic down on it and it just fills up the state table. It realizes the table is full, flushes it, and continues like normal until it resets again.

We actually have two load balancers, but one has a bad OS install. I've been bugging the colo guys to drop a CD in and reinstall the OS for a while. Rumor has it around 2 weeks for that patch.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I couldn't access for a good six or eight hours yesterday.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I too couldnt access the site most of yesterday but was able to talk to others who could.

I'm in Colorado Springs using Comcast (when at home) if it matters

drinkinstout on