As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First Year PAX

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Technically a lanyard isn't required, so as long as you have some way to show off the pass, that's all you need. But, to get the lanyard and stuff, they will be handing them out right before you get in line at either the convention center or the main theater at Benaroya Hall. Even after they open, there's generally been people at those places (outside the lineup room at the convention center) with the bags and stuff. There'll be signs leading you to where to go once you are inside the building. If you don't have your pass, Will-Call is the name of the desk you must go to to get it - that is going to be at the Sheraton Hotel this year (I assume there will be signs inside the lobby).

For travelling, it's pretty easy. First off, the monorail runs on huge cement tracks - once you see those you can follow them to the station (or if you want you could walk along underneath them the other way - it's about a mile doing that). Once you get to the end of the line, you'll be at the Westlake Center mall. Go over one block from Pine road to Pike, take a left and you'll see the Sheraton Hotel on your right. Straight ahead a ways you'll see that the road gets covered by a large glass structure - that's where the convention center is, it's easy to spot.

downtown15_small.jpg
    Look for this

mvp-summit-02-wsctc.jpg
    Up close (though the entire area you see there will be filled with gamers milling about)

Dreamwriter on
  • Panda PartyPanda Party I got jimmies. Olympia, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so this may be a very stupid question, but here goes. In the Expo Hall, are there booths actually selling games? Like DS games, or something. I've only heard people talking about free stuff and game demos so far. I've only ever been to Sakura Con before, where basically all there was was crap to buy.

Panda Party on
  • ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    *snip a lotta good info*

Also, asking folks on the street is perfectly acceptable. We are used to folks getting a little lost around there and we are generally friendly if approached (the stand offish reputation notwithstanding)

Zerhackerman on
  • RaajTMRaajTM CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thank SlickShughes and Dreamwriter.

I do have my badge, I was just wanting to complete the get up so to speak. So just look for signs with the lines and they should be handing them out, got it. So no need for that ticket with the barcode that I printed out at the time of purchasing the ticket then?

Thanks for the pictures as well, I am a visual learner so this will come in handy. I am glad the badge comes with where the locations and halls/theaters are at makes it easier for a quick look. Thanks again.

RaajTM on
  • CosmicJCCosmicJC Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So when exactly are we able to get our badges from Will Call? If I am getting into Seattle on the 2nd will I be able to pick it up then?

CosmicJC on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Will call will be open on thursday the 2nd from noon to midnight (I think midnight, might be 10pm).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so this may be a very stupid question, but here goes. In the Expo Hall, are there booths actually selling games? Like DS games, or something. I've only heard people talking about free stuff and game demos so far. I've only ever been to Sakura Con before, where basically all there was was crap to buy.

I don't remember anybody selling videogames. The tabletop booths often had product for sale, as did some of the hardware vendors, but for videogames I think it was just booths like Pink Gorilla and they were (IIRC) mostly vintage stuff. I don't remember anywhere selling "current" videogames, but then I wasn't looking.

mcdermott on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In my experience only 1 out of every 7 or 8 booths actually sells things. Most are there to promote recently released or soon-to-be-released products. Off the top of my head, [strike]Pink Godzilla[/strike] Pink Gorilla pretty much packs up their entire retail store and brings it to PAX; Astro Gaming will be selling high-end gaming headset/mixer/amplifier systems; Chessex will be selling awesome gaming dice. Some of the tabletop game exhibitors will be selling copies of their games.

Edit: I forgot some other awesome exhibitors. Geek Chic will be "selling" (taking orders for) their awesome several-thousand-dollar tabletop gaming tables, which I would buy in a heartbeat if I had the money or the space. Let's see . . . I expect Mad Catz, Plantronics, Patriot Memory, Cooler Master, Logitech, Kingston, Antec, Dolby, and Turtle Beach will be selling things. Gunnar Optics were selling special glasses at PAX East. Card Kingdom I think will have rare cards to buy.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Imsorad wrote: »
    Thanks. Hopefully I can find some vendors selling heroclix singles too. And Any word on any PAX exclusive merchandise?

I'm hoping for a keyboard this year. I really need a new keyboard and would pay way too much for a PAX branded SteelSeries keyboard.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you're sick of having yet another black t-shirt, each year they sell a PAX t-shirt that's not black in color.
    My advice is: go early to the PAX Merch booth to get one because they will run out!

One year, the guy right in front of me bought the last blue PAX shirt in my size. The Merch booth is now my first stop to make sure I don't miss out.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
    edited August 2010
    Shhhh, don't tell them that. I want to actually get a blue shirt this year. :D

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Begging, pleading and bribing someone to pick one up for you also works, for t-shirts or awesome PAX East scarves that sell out in a heartbeat! :D

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Well Moe, you could always join us on the Other Side, and apply to be an Enforcer one of these Primes, and wear the Blue proudly...

Lackey on
  • PascualPascual Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but to hell with it!
    .How much would a taxi cost from the airport Crowne Plaza Hotel?

Pascual on
  • eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mystral721 wrote: »
    If you're sick of having yet another black t-shirt, each year they sell a PAX t-shirt that's not black in color.
    My advice is: go early to the PAX Merch booth to get one because they will run out!

One year, the guy right in front of me bought the last blue PAX shirt in my size. The Merch booth is now my first stop to make sure I don't miss out.

Last year they ran out of the Navy shirts on Friday, iirc. Make the Merch Booth your first stop if you want official swag

eMDee on
    The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    a couple of more questions from a first timer. I'm pretty sure I will want to go to the XPlay Live show in the Serpent Theatre on Sunday. Being that I am in a wheelchair is there anything I should do to ensure myself a good spot?
    Second question, Does PAX normally have any exclusive items to buy like comic con does.

disabledgamerj2 on
  • ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pascual wrote: »

I assume you mean from the airport to the hotel? There should be a shuttle of some sort. according to the hotels own website (ahem) http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/SEADT/transportation?start=1

A cab is 35 and a shuttle is 11 USD respectively. I think that might be a bit optimistic, particularly for the cab depending on which one you get and what time of day/week it is. The site isnt immediately clear on how to get the 11 buck shuttle but a quick phone call to the hotel should clear it up.

One thing I used to do back in my salad days was I would find a freebie shuttle that got me close to my destination (pre-GPS days, whippersnapper!) and then bus or hike the rest of the way. SFO was great for that. I had a room at an airport hotel. So I would take that hotel's shuttle to the airport and then take a downtown hotel's shuttle to get me downtown SFO. Throw a dollar or two (it was a while ago) at the driver and he never gave a rip.

Zerhackerman on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Airport to downtown usually runs 40-50 dollars, but most taxis have a deal where you can pay a flat 40 dollars and not be penalized if you get stuck in traffic or something.

Heleor on
  • SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Airport to downtown usually runs 40-50 dollars, but most taxis have a deal where you can pay a flat 40 dollars and not be penalized if you get stuck in traffic or something.

As a local: You don't need to take a taxi, though. There is a light rail station at the airport (they have signs pointing towards it, easy to find) and it'll take you straight downtown (about 30minutes or so http://www.soundtransit.org/x11204.xml) It will cost you $2.50 each way, and you can buy your ticket at a little vending kiosk on the platform. Get off at Westlake Station (the last stop). When you get to the surface, you will be on Pine St. Walk away from the water, up to 6th Ave, and turn right (towards Pike St.). Just keep walking until you hit the Crowne Plaza, it's not very far. And if you get lost, just ask someone--we're pretty friendly up here.

As a first time PAX attendee: I'm used to being staff at other cons, and not having to worry about waiting in line for major events. (Dedicated staff seating FTW!) I'm hard of hearing, so getting a seat near the front at speaking events is pretty important for me. Will there be enough time to get a concert wristband AND get a decent spot in line for the keynote Friday morning? Or should I just show up about an hour early for the keynote and not bother about the wristband? (Saturday's concerts are the ones I'm *really* looking forward too, anyways...)

Saxicide on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saxicide wrote: »

As a local: You don't need to take a taxi, though. There is a light rail station at the airport (they have signs pointing towards it, easy to find) and it'll take you straight downtown (about 30minutes or so http://www.soundtransit.org/x11204.xml) It will cost you $2.50 each way, and you can buy your ticket at a little vending kiosk on the platform. Get off at Westlake Station (the last stop). When you get to the surface, you will be on Pine St. Walk away from the water, up to 6th Ave, and turn right (towards Pike St.). Just keep walking until you hit the Crowne Plaza, it's not very far. And if you get lost, just ask someone--we're pretty friendly up here.

As a first time PAX attendee: I'm used to being staff at Sakura-Con and not having to worry about waiting in line for major events. (Dedicated staff seating FTW!) I'm hard of hearing, so getting a seat near the front at speaking events is pretty important for me. Will there be enough time to get a concert wristband AND get a decent spot in line for the keynote Friday morning? Or should I just show up about an hour early for the keynote and not bother about the wristband? (Saturday's concerts are the ones I'm *really* looking forward too, anyways...)

Wristbands are being given out at BOTH locations, the keynote line and the con line.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

As a first time PAX attendee: I'm used to being staff at Sakura-Con and not having to worry about waiting in line for major events. (Dedicated staff seating FTW!) I'm hard of hearing, so getting a seat near the front at speaking events is pretty important for me. Will there be enough time to get a concert wristband AND get a decent spot in line for the keynote Friday morning? Or should I just show up about an hour early for the keynote and not bother about the wristband? (Saturday's concerts are the ones I'm *really* looking forward too, anyways...)

Pretty sure half the wristbands will be given out for the lineup outside the new Main Theatre for the keynote. So just show up early enough to that line.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Pretty sure half the wristbands will be given out for the lineup outside the new Main Theatre for the keynote. So just show up early enough to that line.

Also "about an hour early" is most certainly not going to be early enough to get a spot near the front. 8am will almost definitely be required.

SlickShughes on
  • SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Also "about an hour early" is most certainly not going to be early enough to get a spot near the front. 8am will almost definitely be required.
    Aaaaaaaaah OK; I wasn't sure if the wristband line/main theatre line were one and the same, or just happened to both be at Benaroya. 8am, really? Oh, right, they don't clear out the room before Gabe and Tycho show up. It's gonna be a program-the-coffee pot kind of morning.
    Thankies all ^_^

Saxicide on
  • Kyle1212Kyle1212 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys first time at pax this year and i'm wondering if Canadians get there badges mailed too them or if we have to go pick them up?

I'm so excited! Just a week away.

Kyle1212 on
    edited August 2010
    Kyle1212 wrote: »
    Hey guys first time at pax this year and i'm wondering if Canadians get there badges mailed too them or if we have to go pick them up?

All badges that can be mailed have already been mailed. I believe Canadians had an option to pay extra to get their sent out, but all badges purchased past a certain date are held at will call. If you purchased a badge recently it will be at Will Call, no matter what.

Hopefully you've already made your purchase, because everything is sold out now.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    edited August 2010

All badges that can be mailed have already been mailed. I believe Canadians had an option to pay extra to get their sent out, but all badges purchased past a certain date are held at will call. If you purchased a badge recently it will be at Will Call, no matter what.

Hopefully you've already made your purchase, because everything is sold out now.

(: Thanks for the quick reply, i ordered mine back in June, i guess i'll probably have to pick it up.

Kyle1212 on
    edited August 2010

Badges are not mailed outside of the US. They are only shipped internationally to people who paid for international FedEx shipping. Otherwise, you have to pick them up at will call.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TheInt3rsectTheInt3rsect Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How early should I be for some of the popular panels?

TheInt3rsect on
  • PajamuraiPajamurai Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    It's my first time going to PAX and I'm going to be driving up that morning with some friends and I was hoping to get there early enough to get a wrist band for that night's concerts, at what time do you think I should leave/be arriving at PAX to get a wristband? Also how much parking is available at the WSCTC? Because I know that they have a garage and such.

Pajamurai on
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Speaking as a booth monkey and marketer here! If this is your first time coming to PAX, I'd love to invite you to join my thread for the game I'm helping Intel run -- Game On, now at its third PAX :) I also wanted to drop a mild insider tip: Those contests big companies run for OMGAWESOME swag? Your odds of winning the good stuff are WAY better at a conference than you might think. Plus, remember, we don't want to have to pack up and bring all our stuff back home...too much work! :)

Divebommah on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So show up at the last minute on Sunday and Intel will be just throwing out bags of processors to the crowd in handfuls :)

Dreamwriter on
    edited August 2010
    Pajamurai wrote: »
    It's my first time going to PAX and I'm going to be driving up that morning with some friends and I was hoping to get there early enough to get a wrist band for that night's concerts, at what time do you think I should leave/be arriving at PAX to get a wristband? Also how much parking is available at the WSCTC? Because I know that they have a garage and such.

Honestly if you want to be fairly sure to get a wristband it's best to show up at 8am (which is usually when the line "officially starts") or even a little earlier. The only time I ever managed to snag a wristband was at east when I was there fifteen minutes before the doors opened. When I got in line at about 9:15 one day they were long gone.

That's not to say there's NO chance of getting a wristband if you get there later than 8, but to guarantee one you have to get up pretty early.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    edited August 2010
    How early should I be for some of the popular panels?

One to two hours is the rule of thumb, with two-and-a-half to three being the safe bet for the keynote and G&T Q and A on Friday. There may be some times when you get there two hours early and no one is there, but there are also times when you get there two hours early and the line is nearly full. It's hard to predict exact amounts, so vary your buffer time based on how crushed you will be if you miss the panel.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So show up at the last minute on Sunday and Intel will be just throwing out bags of processors to the crowd in handfuls :)

LOL! :winky:

Divebommah on
    edited August 2010
    Another quick question, Is there a certain age you have to be to play the M or RP games? I'm currently 16 and i'm REALLY excited for new vegas.

Kyle1212 on
    edited August 2010
    Generally you have to be (17 or 18? Not sure) or have a parent or guardian present. You might be ID'ed and turned away from specific lines or panels.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited August 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    Generally you have to be (17 or 18? Not sure) or have a parent or guardian present. You might be ID'ed and turned away from specific lines or panels.

what if i bring I.D + a parent letter signed? I live in Canada and i'm going with my grandparents.

Kyle1212 on
    edited August 2010
    That's up to each individual booth.

I think what booths are trying to avoid, first, is a random photo making it onto the Internet showing an obvious 12 year old playing or watching an M-rated game. Second to that, it's probably not a good idea if some anti-game-industry agenda people sneak "secret shoppers" in who should have been carded but weren't, giving them a story of how publisher X (and by extension, the entire industry) doesn't actually respect ESRB guidelines.

You're unlikely to pose a threat for the first, and the second is probably so unlikely that people will laugh at me for bringing it up. But there are no centrally-mandated guidelines for what special cases will or won't be honored. Come with as much preparation as you feel is reasonably necessary, but there are no guarantees.

mspencer on
    edited August 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    That's up to each individual booth.

I think what booths are trying to avoid, first, is a random photo making it onto the Internet showing an obvious 12 year old playing or watching an M-rated game. Second to that, it's probably not a good idea if some anti-game-industry agenda people sneak "secret shoppers" in who should have been carded but weren't, giving them a story of how publisher X (and by extension, the entire industry) doesn't actually respect ESRB guidelines.

You're unlikely to pose a threat for the first, and the second is probably so unlikely that people will laugh at me for bringing it up. But there are no centrally-mandated guidelines for what special cases will or won't be honored. Come with as much preparation as you feel is reasonably necessary, but there are no guarantees.

Alright, thanks, I'm 6'1 So i don't think the first thing will be a problem. =P. i'll bring some things that will hopefully let me play some of the games. thanks alot for your help.

Kyle1212 on
  • epitaxialepitaxial Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Bring a backpack [to put your swag in] and filled it with:
    - hand sanitizer
    - aspirin [or whatever your favorite pain killer is]
    - water bottle [stay hydrated to avoid getting headaches, sick, etc].
    - healthy snacks [or unhealthy if it serves you well]
    - Camera [and backup battery if needed - you'll want to take a lot of pictures]
    - A way to take notes [pen/paper, smart phone, ipad, etc]
    - Smart Phone to track twitter - some vendors are twittering it up this year with prizes, rewards, etc.

Pax is a bit overwhelming and VERY CROWDED [reminds me of riding the local buses/trains in China]. At times, it can be a competition...

If you're shy and alone - you'll probably spend a lot of time taking pictures, looking around, and checking out everything from a safe distance. :)

epitaxial on
This discussion has been closed.